Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Alright, seems like no-one has mentioned this one -

Uzumaki (the spiral)

It was hard to find decent scenes from the manga without giving too much away, but these will do. The series gets increasingly graphic and bizarre as it progresses. Uzumaki is a praticularly unique horror series, centred around the theme of 'The Spiral', as the name implies. It is difficult to describe too much about the series without giving too much away, but it is a very simple premise. The story centers around the various inhabitants of the town of Kurozo-cho, and how they succumb to a creeping, malevolent and apathetic influence. What I enjoyed about the series is the enigmatic, nameless nature of the horror that inexorably permeates further and further into their lives. The story is very reminiscent of Lovecraft in that regard, the incursion into our reality of something far beyond our capacity to understand and entirely apathetic to our existence. The atmosphere throughout the increasingly bizarre and extreme permutations is excellently creepy, though towards the end it really does get pretty heavily into 'what the gently caress' territory.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I just finished binging on Crows and had a pretty stupid good time.

It's a simple enough premise- Suzuran is the worst of the worst school where terminal gently caress-ups and delinquents wind up, and there's a constantly shifting hierarchy of thugs and brutes who are all attempting to punch their way to the top. Enter our hero - Bouya Harumichi, who is the best fighter. He's a lot like Saitama in that regard, you always know who's going to come out on top. However, the manga features a constantly rotating cast and Bouya is mostly used as a means to resolve plotlines rather than a more shonen-esque 'fight of the week' style. It's the type of story where every fight consists of the same 5 phrases, 'OYRAAA', 'MOTHERFUCKER', 'I'LL loving KILL YOU', 'EAT THIS!' and 'I'M NOT DEAD YET, rear end in a top hat' etc, but then by the end everybody is a bro and feelin' good. It's simple and it works.

As for the downsides, the fight scenes are well-illustrated but rather plain in terms of brawling. Characters will trade a half dozen punches then one of them won't get up again, so nothing revolutionary there. However, one aspect of the story that I really like is that there's next to no padding whatsoever. There's several times where someone is in the hospital or otherwise occupied and a fight is scheduled for 'Next Week' or 'Next Month', but instead of having to sift through a few issues of sideplots, the only thing between the challenge and the fight is like 2 interstitial pages with some narration saying 'A week went by and nothing happened, LET'S THROW DOWN'. Another aspect that I really like about it is while the plot of most of the early issues is usually just 'then ANOTHER tough guy appeared and beat up a character you like', as the series progressed it really fleshed out the characters and their lives beyond just beating the poo poo out of each other. Most of the characters have some pretty introspective moments about what they're going to do with themselves beyond just being top-dog of some podunk highschool, and most of the villains, such as they are, are doing the only things that come naturally to them. Everyone feels convincing and honest, and there's very little obtuse, "anime-as-gently caress" stupid reasons for characters to do what they do.

One other major plus in the whole thing's favor is that the style of the characters is "90's Japanese Coolguy" as HELL. Pompadours, Sukajans, Spikey blonde Hair, and more leather jackets than you can shake a stick at.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Sep 26, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy

Mr. Steak posted:

Can I shill Souboutei Must Be Destroyed...?

Full disclosure: I'm the one translating it, but it's also a manga I'm a huge fanboy of. I mean, that's why I'm translating it.

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed

[link]

[thread link]

Years ago, two young boys encountered something horrifying inside a haunted mansion called Souboutei. Now, those boys are the prime minister and defense minister of Japan respectively, and they use their authority to order an airstrike on the mansion. Of course, the house is unscathed, but this event jettisons our main character into the plot by obliterating his apartment which just so happened to be next-door to the haunted mansion. And another character, a young boy named Rokurou, has a horrific experience inside Souboutei just before the bombing, which results in his father's death and inspires him to vow revenge against the house. Meanwhile, a plane crashes, containing a child who went missing 45 years ago and has the mysterious ability to turn his arms into drills. Also, inexplicably, he has a single-minded hatred for Souboutei.

And that's only chapter 1.

It's ostensibly an action series like Kazuhiro Fujita's most famous prior works (Ushio and Tora and Karakuri Circus), but it also borrows heavily from horror, plus practically every other genre you can think of. It seriously juggles a staggering amount of genres in a plot that somehow remains entirely cohesive. And speaking of cohesion, the author truly had the entire series planned out from the start. Vitally important plot points are foreshadowed over a hundred chapters in advance, and dramatic parallels are formed all the time with things you'd long since forgotten about. Also, as you might guess from the title, the series is also quite impressively laser-focused. There isn't a single chapter that's not geared toward defeating this one titular enemy.

I highly recommend this manga for an unendingly unique experience that never lets up for a second.

Note: it's not a completed series, though it should be finishing in the next year probably. I release new chapters in English every Wednesday, one day after the Japanese release, with the help of a fan group.

I've been thoroughly enjoying this but the image hosting is just making GBS threads the bed for me lately. Chapters 60 onward routinely fail to load :/

It's a weird fuckin' ride - I kind of like the stylistic contrast between Tsutomu (who gives me big Monkey Punch vibes), the extremely angular and sharp Seiichi and the more Junji-Ito-ish horror elements. I'm sure there's a bunch of other twists incoming, but there's like a 3 different genres going on that I did not see coming. Fuckin' gestalt-consiousness aliens in a subsumation war merging with humans to fight over a wormhole to a haunted house? What? Alright, let's see where this poo poo goes.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Oct 21, 2020