Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
They've probably already been mentioned, but do read both Monster and Pluto.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Captain Invictus posted:

Beastars, formerly one of my favorite series, ended.

I really cannot believe how much an incredible series could have poo poo down its own leg until I read Beastars. There's a point after Legosi leaves the academy and starts life in an apartment that is still great, and then after that point, it gets into this immensely tedious and horrible storyline involving the character Melon, an herbivore/carnivore hybrid. So many ideas and plot threads are introduced and immediately dropped(the entire concept of "chimera" and literal loving Stands appears and vanishes in iirc a single goddamn chapter!) you'd swear it was an anthology of short stories trying to string together in the same world rather than one interconnected narrative, and the quality of the series falls off a loving cliff in the last third, with the finale chapters just being downright insulting to the reader.

It's incredible, in the literal definition of the word. I will still recommend the series to people, but with the caveat of stopping at a certain point. Man, what a loving bummer. Props to Paru for doing a good job with the first half or so of the series, but boy howdy she should have gone on hiatus or some poo poo instead of trying to force new chapters out constantly when she clearly had no goal in mind. gently caress.

I would say it's pretty good even until then, her just dunking on the crown prince is fun as hell.

I get the feeling that there was a real struggle with being "Shonen" going on there. The first arcs read more like a Seinen manga than anything else, with the Shonen fights feeling a bit like the worst parts of the whole thing.

I can't pin all the fault on Melon, like I've been reading in alot of takes. I actually liked the idea behind Melon and how he and Legosi were set up to mirror each other, but he is poorly used and the plot just falls apart half way through the last arc.

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Oct 19, 2020