Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hakkesshu posted:

Berserk is so unique in that the general message seems to be "the world is hosed and everything is horrible forever, your worst nightmares are true and no one is ever going to live a happy life or afterlife, but hey you shouldn't give up!"

It's one of my favourite pieces of fiction in general, but yeah it's not something everyone is going to be into and that's totally okay and probably very sane.

There's a really good post in the five-plus year old thread in ADTRW that goes into it, but the biggest theme in Berserk is fate and destiny vs humanistic free will. The fact that this is expressed via a monster of a man (who actually gets weaker as a result of making friends!) with a six foot sword murdering the living gently caress out of demons is just icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Next-Jin Engine posted:

I don't know if it's due to everyone already knowing the author's work by heart or anything, but I feel like Naoki Urasawa at least deserves a mention or footnote. I feel that his works are incredibly accessible to western audiences: Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto (especially Pluto), and Billy Bat.

It's because only two of those were licensed in English until recently, or were out of print, and the ones you couldn't get were the easiest sells. Monster and Master Keaton are fantastically easy sells ("a doctor saves the life of a boy who grows up to be a serial killer and hunts him down while being pursued by the police" and "it's like Indiana Jones but if he was an insurance investigator and also MacGuyver" are pretty easy elevator pitches). Not that Pluto and 2*CB aren't great books but they're a little harder to convince people to read than the other two.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I just read all of Hideout in one poop. Good rear end comic.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Captain Invictus posted:

Then recommend it.

Akumetsu is stupid and fun head-explodey ridiculousness, and disappears up its own rear end at the end

Actually Akumetsu is stupid and good all the way through the series and I'm glad I finally made the push to finish it a year or so ago.