Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

cafel posted:

Don't let the brutally violent beginning put you off, this is one of the most genuinely thoughtful series being put out today.
Yes, absolutely. Vinland Saga will provide plenty of graphic, Viking Age violence up front if that's your thing, but it is significantly reduced later on and largely serves as groundwork for a really excellent character arc later on. This is one of my favorite ongoing series.

cafel posted:

While you're at it check out Planetes, a previously completed series by the mangaka, for something very different, but equally thoughtful.
Also a great recommendation. If you like space but want less pew-pew space opera and more coping with the existential dread that the endless cosmos can induce, Planetes is right up your alley.

Makoto Yukimura is one of my favorite mangakas working today.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I haven't seen the film yet, but it seemed like fun, so I'm sure I'll get around to it. I'm going to read Onepunch Man next, but if anyone could recommend anything else in the impossibly-beautiful-action genre to go with that and AYNIK I'd appreciate it!

Vinland Saga became extremely pretty once it went to a monthly publishing scheme and is full of awesome action for the first half (the second half is even better but has less fighting).

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
And if you don't know why that's so exciting, let me remind you that you should be reading One-Punch Man:

Captain Invictus posted:

ONEPUNCH-MAN(action, comedy, seinen, supernatural) - Onepunch-Man is easily one of, if not the most gorgeous and detailed series you'll ever see. There are entire chapters that can, and have been, animated. Check this poo poo, yo:

Onepunch-Man is about Saitama, your average jobless loser, who one day decides to become a superhero. Except now he's become so powerful, that no matter what, every fight ends with only one punch. He is beyond Superman. This series is pretty god drat hilarious, both with Saitama's incredibly bland reaction to everything from cyborg gorillamen, to a cross between Namor, Cthulhu, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, the humanized form of Mother Nature's Wrath Itself, A Giant loving Meteor, etc and with his unwanted pupil's incredible brooding seriousness in every situation. Every fight is a foregone conclusion, but it's still an amusing, gorgeous, and hilarious ride perhaps all the funnier BECAUSE you know how it ends.

Simulpublished in Weekly Shonen Jump.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Yeah, Knights of Sidonia is probably a decent pick.

It doesn't have an Other to futiley try to come to grips with, but I'm going to put recommend Planetes again as a manga that spends some really good time exploring existential dread in space. Also, it's getting a reprint later this year! (It's been out of print for a while)