Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Absolutely, Akumetsu is not perfect by any stretch, but it's an interesting take on the vigilante superpower thing. And he's usually just so gosh-darned HAPPY to be doing what he's doing.

In other news, Crunchyroll picked up I'm In Mari, now officially called "Inside Mari". There's a new chapter. It's fuckin' insane and makes me hate that this is a monthly series. Go read it. :stare:

And you can blame ^^ this guy ^^ for putting it on their radar (via me). :P

Can't wait for more simulpubs. I'll continue to forward requests to their licensing team every so often, if anything new comes up.

P.S. for informed speculation on licenses, take a look at the publishers. Trends in that alone is generally a pretty good indicator for likelihood-of-license.
P.P.S Given that Crunchyroll doesn't have a horrible business model or awful accounting system, reading the manga in the app or on site will most likely be a lot easier to track and matter more to publishers. If you could do the courtesy of reading the manga in the app (and complaining loudly to their support when the app is doing something annoying), that'd help it improve faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I don't get status updates on licensing, but it is on the list. If I get the chance I'll bring it up again.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

cafel posted:

When I saw they were picking up Soredemo I consider actually trying out a subscription to their service, but they only have Chapter 108 up and no indication of whether or not they plan on translating any of the earlier chapters. In addition the posted blurb about the series is in the most fractured English I've ever seen. This is my first interaction with Crunchyroll, are they usually this shoddy? If I try it out am I flinging my money into a pit?
Disclaimer: I haven't worked for Crunchyroll in over a year.

No, you aren't. The early days are going to be like this because publishers will have the power until the manga business starts minting money for them like the anime business does. Crunchyroll had to put up with all kinds of poo poo until the publishers all realized that Crunchyroll didn't cannibalize DVD sales like they expected, and refusing Crunchyroll was just giving up free money. I think the same thing will probably happen to manga, where publishers realize how much money they're leaving on the table by not getting a share of the profits from their manga distribution overseas.

The plan is and has always been to license everything everywhere. Anything less is because those are the terms deemed acceptable by the licensor, or too much money was demanded for the ideal terms.There may also be scheduling concerns about translating new chapters over ones that have been scanslated already. Crunchyroll isn't just building this for potential readers of manga, it needs to be an alternative for the people who are pirating as well.

Emailing support about the broken English might help, but translations have to be approved by the publishers - often, persistently bad english that doesn't get fixed is that way because it's contractually required to be that way.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 1, 2014