Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I think it's worth mentioning that Monster is getting a new printing that will start coming out pretty soon. I've been reading a lot of stuff from Vertical recently and it's all fantastic. Book of Human Insects and MW by Tezuka are wonderfully dark and complex. I'm half-way through Helter-Skelter by Kyoko Okazaki. It's about a young idol who gets 99% of her body completely replaced/altered through plastic surgery and her complete breakdown once her body starts deteriorating. Drawn and Quarterly is also putting out some killer stuff. Anything by Shigeru Mizuki is gold, but my favorites have been NonNonBa and Showa: History of Japan. A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi is an interesting autobiographical look in the life of a manga artist during the age where manga became something that wasn't just for kids!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

This is awesome, thanks for mentioning it. I started collecting Monster, but fell off for a while and when I finally went back to it everything was out of print and super expensive. This is perfect.

I'm pretty sure they are going to be omni editions? They were in last months previews.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
YEAH! I'm getting Showa History of Japan Vol 2 tonight and also my copy of Ode to Kirihito Vol 1 just came in. Everyone buy Showa it's so good!

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Pretty sure I already ordered a copy of Immortal Hounds, I'll check it out when it comes.

EDIT: Maybe not? I'm gonna have to look through some previews to find what I was thinking of.

For some reason I was thinking of Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit, which is getting a reprint of some early volumes. I guess I just saw what looks like a dectective/policeman and made a connection.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jul 3, 2014

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I mean it is explicitly against the rules in BSS and kind of against the rules in ADTRW.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Plethora posted:

Edit: I'm craving some Tezuka. That man was a mad genius and needs no introduction. I've only read one volume of Black Jack, the first three Buddha volumes, MW, and Ayoko. I'll need to dig something good up for you guys.
Might I suggest "Book of Human Insects" or "Ode to Kirihito"? Both are super good. Also all of Black Jack is loving great and Buddha is good but I've only read about as much as you have.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Plethora posted:

I'm halfway through Tezuka's "Alabaster" and came across this page. It's like the perfect storm of insanity in strange simplicity.

The guy talking is a 20-something Greek FBI agent, btw, which just makes it more weird.

http://mangafox.me/manga/alabaster/v02/c006/8.html

Are you out of the US? When I try to pull that page up it tells me the book is licensed and it won't show me anything.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Rock Holmes is a dope name for an FBI agent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Lmao it took me a second to recognize that publisher because I've never bought something from Seven Seas.