Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Hello BSS! I rarely post here, but this is a recommendation that I feel I am duty-bound to make:

Sumire 16-Sai!

It's about a cute, energetic high school girl who goes around the school helping students solve their daily problems. ...

Except she happens to be a puppet controlled by a middle-aged ventriloquist of whom everybody (except the teachers and principal) are plainly aware! It's the very epitome of a premise that makes you go "What the hell?! Why am I reading this?!" except that by the end, when it stirs your feelings and plucks at the heartstrings, you wonder "-- and why is it so good?!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

Wow, Sumire was really good.

I think that it's about identity, and how we construct it. Sumire exists in this weird world where at first glance she's obviously a puppet controlled by an old man, but the more you get to know 'her' the more you accept her as her stated identity rather than as an entirely synthetic puppet person. Sakura is the same, a woman acting out a hard male teen delinquent when she clearly is not who her puppet himself claims to be. Sumire is the combination of puppet and puppeteer, which might cause one to question why the old man can't get rid of the puppet and just let his charming high school girl persona spring forth.

If you think of yourself as a life sized puppet, who is pulling your strings? Who is speaking through you?

Yeah, I think this gets at the heart of what the manga is about. You can really see what you said about "the more you get to know 'her' the more you accept her as her stated identity", in the moments when the puppet loses the mouth-lines and doll-eyes and turns into a regular person. That's what's happening when people start to accept Sumire as a "real" person. What's really great is how that plays into the ending where the old man is allowed to express himself honestly in their reunion panel.