Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Avoiding spoilers, the point you're most likely talking about is really the actual end of the series. The manga was popular enough that there was massive editorial pressure on the creators to keep it going for a while so they could capitalize on the merchandising and anime adaptation.

After Death Note, the authors went on to make a series called Bakuman about a pair of aspiring manga creators. The climax of that series involves the protagonists deciding to bring their popular comic to a close because they felt it fit the story despite the publishers expecting more. It wasn't exactly subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
A lot of translators can get tunnel vision towards being overly literal with things, so it's probable that you're seeing "itai = it hurts" when more professional translations might have gone "itai = OOOWWWWW CHRIST GETITOFF AAAAAAHHHHH".

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I'm another person who can't get into I Am A Hero because I am sick to death of zombies, but there's a lot of other good stuff that's been posted here. Hopefully people will give a few other series a shot and not forget that Japanese manga is at least as diversified as American comics. Just imagine if reading a few issues of Batman put you off of reading Alan Moore's Watchmen, or Grant Morrison's Animal Man, or Carl Barks' Donald Duck.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Long story short: Crunchyroll is paying the pertinent licensing fees to the copyright holders to translate and digitally republish the series. Those other sites are (usually) aggregating fan translations and providing zero income to the people who actually create the product.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

CowboyAndy posted:

Sounds great! I'll check it out. From what I read about Ghost in the Shell, there are some lesbian senses, but in a computer... or something...?

If you're not averse to moving pictures, Ghost in the Shell has several anime adaptations. All of them are high-budget productions with a ton of polish. For my money the two seasons of TV anime called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and GitS:SAC 2nd Gig are some of the best cyberpunk that's ever been made.

Many people swear by the movie adaptations, and they're probably worth watching. The first, I think, benefits a lot from nostalgia but is an impressive production and well worth seeing. The second movie, Innocence, is absolutely stunning visually, but the writing is ....

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Luna Was Here posted:

I would kill to get an adaptation of this but it would probably kill Dowman to do all the art himself. Anyone know what he's up to these days aside from posting art on Tumblr and Twitter?

He's still doing his Scott Pilgrim-inspired series Oddman 11, and I think he's got another series going in a magazine that nobody scans.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Galvanik posted:

I thought isekai was specifically for settings that worked on game rules. Like, Konosuba, SAO, Overlord, those are isekais; but Escaflowne isn't even though it's about a person sent to a fantasy world.

Is isekai a more general term? I know it means 'other world', I just thought those worlds had to include video game elements.

Escaflowne isn't only because the series was made years before the term became a cliche, same with El Hazard. Isekai is not limited to game rules, as exemplified by that recent restaurant isekai.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Yes, but only retroactively. It's not as if those series were made to tap into a particular zeitgeist.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Most live action anime adaptations are terrible trash. I'm pretty sure the genuinely good examples can be counted on one hand.

Has there ever been a genuinely good one? Honest question. I certainly can't think of any offhand.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

There are several positive reviews of Miike's Jojo movie on Letterboxd, and someone just said it was actually good in the Phiz movie thread, so I've grown optimistic for it.

Wait, what the gently caress? When did this happen?? I had no idea this was a thing!

If anyone can pull off a good adaptation, Miike is at the top of my short list, since he directed what is unquestionably the best video game adaptation ever made.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Gonna answer my own question. The JoJo movie was good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Roth posted:

Does the Ace Attorney movie count because thay movie is amazing.

I wouldn't count it as an anime/manga adaptation. However, as a video game adaptation, it is ahead of its competition by several orders of magnitude.