Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also, the final chapter of Bonnouji has just been released. It's time to say goodbye, it's been a wonderful, cute, funny run, but it's over now. Thanks for the ride, Aki Eda! :unsmith:

Bonnouji had a nice and natural feeling run. Beside the funny lightheartedness of it, I would have appreciated just because it was about people in their late 20's/early 30's and not moody teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

a kitten posted:

It's the End of the World As We Know It
----------------------------------------------

...And I Feel Fine.

Yokohama Shopping Trip / Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou

It's unlicensed and can be read at this link

I don't often get a lot out of the art work for a series, but YKK had a really serene, naturalistic quality that I really dug. Definitely a great series if you're in the mood for something calm and contemplative.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

SAMPLER THREE: GO!

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer - Seinen, drama, action, comedy, adventure, mystery, growing up

Chiming in to say this is another series I really enjoyed, especially the almost sinister vibes the whole concept seemed to have. It doesn't end up running with it to the extent that say Puella Magi Madoka Magica does, but it's still a nice change of pace.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Teppu - Action, comedy, martial arts, high school, sports

Teppu's about Natsuo Ishido, a tall, abrasive, and violent high school girl who gets wrapped up in the world of MMA. She has natural skill in fighting, but will her hubris be her undoing? I love this series for the detailed and sometimes unflattering view it gives the world of professional and amateur fighting. People may be champions, but that doesn't mean they can quit their day job. The near-total lack of fanservice is a big plus, too. Not a panty shot to be seen in this series. Characters are sometimes pretty ripped, but that's to be expected when you're an MMA fighter. The series can also be really drat funny at times, I love the interactions between Natsuo and her teacher. It's a shame that scanlations for it are pretty sporadic.

I forgot to give Teppu it's props. Great to get away from the type of protagonists you usually get in sports and fighting series. Though it's not just the scanlations that are sporadic, the series is already on a once every two months schedule that slow translating exacerbates.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Crunchyroll has licensed both Soredemo and Spirit Circle! I am beyond happy about this, hopefully some more of my recommendations will make it through, it'd be funny if Qualia the Purple got licensed by them and they translated it before the scanlator got to it. Though I'm not sure if that would be something they'd go for, not sure if they'll pick up any already-completed or short series.

When I saw they were picking up Soredemo I consider actually trying out a subscription to their service, but they only have Chapter 108 up and no indication of whether or not they plan on translating any of the earlier chapters. In addition the posted blurb about the series is in the most fractured English I've ever seen. This is my first interaction with Crunchyroll, are they usually this shoddy? If I try it out am I flinging my money into a pit?

Begemot posted:

After you read Uzumaki, you should definitely check out Junji Ito's Cat Diary. Another terrifying work of mind-bending horror, this time autobiographical!

Junji Ito's Cat Diary is great.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

If you're not reading Koe no Kotachi yet, I heartily recommend you do. It's real difficult to read for certain reasons that become apparent if you've ever been the target of bullying, but it's an excellent series. The latest chapter has one of the most surprising gut-punches I've read, though, I wasn't expecting that for some reason and it really got to me :smith:.

Also I'll be doing another sampler sometime soon, likely focusing on romance/comedy this time around.

Every time I think that series has hit a point in an emotional roller coaster ride that it can't top it. It then proceeds to prove me wrong. I was kinda turned off when I heard the premise, but the way it plays out is definitely worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

After a long hiatus, I've whipped up another Sampler, part 4! I've read quite a few series in the meantime, so hopefully there's some good variety for folks in here.

Let's begin!

Yokohama Shopping Trip(Drama, Sci-fi, Seinen, Slice of Life) is one of the most happy and relaxing, yet melancholy series I've ever read, that follows the story of a humanoid android who runs a small cafe out in the boonies, and her everyday life as well as those around her. Mankind has precipitated some massive natural disaster which has wiped out the majority of humanity, and the remainder are living out their lives peacefully with what still remains. It's a super relaxing and laid-back series with a classic anime art style, the 80's-ish style I suppose. One of the most satisfying series I've yet seen, most definitely. Completed series.

Otoyomegatari(Drama, Historical, Manga, Romance, Seinen) is set in the 19th century on the Silk Road. It's one of the most gorgeous series I've ever seen by far, with incredibly detailed, intricate designs on the embroidery in pretty much every page that has them. The characters are lovable and fun, and it can go from lighthearted to intense in the span of a few pages. Lots of drama, lots of :3:, and a smattering of good action. Really a top-notch historical-based series.

These together are probably the two most beautiful and visually evocative series I've ever read. I highly recommend both. Otoyomegatari is probably an easy read for anyone, but Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou has a very, very sedate and relaxed tone that you might have to prepare yourself for if you're normally into more frenetic stuff. I've taken the time to track down physical copies of both series, which is rather rare for me. They're that pretty.

quote:

Vinland Saga(Action, Adventure, Historical, Seinen) is a story set in the age of Vikings, when they pillaged and took what they wanted. It follows Thorfinn, a young man whose history gradually unfolds as he kills his way across many battlefields alongside a bunch of plundering mercenaries. Has some of the best artwork you'll ever see in a manga, and the story is pretty great too! The characters are outstanding, especially Askeladd and another giant of a character you'll meet as the story progresses, you'll know him when you see him. An incredibly brutal, violent series, so be prepared for plenty of dismemberment and horrible acts of mercilessness. Some people have issues with one of the later arcs, but I personally enjoyed it, I think being able to read it all at once instead of waiting for each chapter helped a lot with that though.

Don't let the brutally violent beginning put you off, this is one of the most genuinely thoughtful series being put out today. While you're at it check out Planetes, a previously completed series by the mangaka, for something very different, but equally thoughtful.