Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Oh man, has the next chapter been released already!?

I loving love that series. It's kind of weird at times, having grown up in US deaf culture, but once you get over the culture difference it's compelling as gently caress.

Edit:

:stare:

Ok, holy poo poo, I did not see that coming.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Zero_Tactility posted:

Yes, absolutely. Vinland Saga will provide plenty of graphic, Viking Age violence up front if that's your thing, but it is significantly reduced later on and largely serves as groundwork for a really excellent character arc later on. This is one of my favorite ongoing series.

Is Vinland Saga the series where One of the characters goes pacifist, and when a warband attacks his town, stoically gets the poo poo beat out of him in order to save the other townsfolk?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Yeah, Parasyte was so good, it's the one series I actually bought and read every issue for, all ten volumes.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Anora posted:

Alternatively: Jing/Gin King of Bandit gets really pretty about 4 volumes in. But isn't as heavy in plot as Berserk, and is more of a fun shonen type series then anything, and each volume is basically one self contained story (the first volume is kinda crap though, both in art and story). It branched off into a second series Jing King of Bandit: Twilight Tales, which are gorgeous, but some of the stories feel a bit pretentious.

Was this the series where the guy has a bird that turns into a gun? And there's a lot of references to mixed drinks? If so, this was probably the first manga I ever read, back in high school. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Invictus posted:

Dorohedoro is absolutely outstanding and is just about to finish.

:aaaaa:

I read this series like... I think almost a decade ago? And thought it ended really abruptly, but now it turns out that it's actually been steadily updating this whole loving time!?

I really wish I found this out yesterday morning, and not 10 hours before I have to be in at work. :saddowns:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

So is anyone else starting to get tired of protagonists named Hiro? It was clever the first time, and ok the next few, but now it's just started being annoying. We get it. The hero is named "Hiro". Ha ha. Come up with something new already, mangaka.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a joke post right, you do know that Hiro is an actual name in Japan like John or Ben would be in the US?

No durr, but if a dozen movies came out in a row with the protagonist named "John Doe", that would get old fast, right?

Haruto is the most common male first name in Japan, wikipedia pegs eleven fictional characters named that. Four are main characters.
Ryu is such a common name, TV Tropes has a page about protagonists named Ryu. Wiki pegs nine fictional characters with that name. Three, arguably four, could be called main characters.
Jun is the second most common name on Wiki for fictional asian names. There's 13. A handful are protagonists.
Hiro has eighteen loving wiki mentions, almost half of which are protagonists. Hiro, or the original names it's based off of, aren't anywhere near the most common names in Japan, yet it blows the rest of this list away.

(P.S. I know wikipedia doesn't even come close to documenting all the uses in manga, but it's a decent enough sampling. I guarantee that if you're spergy enough to troll mangalist or some poo poo and tally up all the protag names, the numbers will still come out similar.)

I'll concede that a number of the "Hiro"s are in western works, like Heroes, Snowcrash, Big Hero 6, but still. That poo poo is everywhere. And don't give me that tired chestnut "But in nihongo it doesn't mean 'Hero'~!" A fuckton of Japanese people speak a little english, and the english word "Hero" is well-known enough over there for that pun to work. It's everywhere, and it's annoying. Snowcrash was fantastic, and first. Everything after that has gradually chipped away at the joke.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

We actually had a big discussion in the Gamer thread about similar kinds of stuff, which I promptly sperged out in. A few of the series which I've found are similar in tone or theme that I enjoy are:

DICE: The Cube That Changes Everything. Magical dice allow duder to hack his own stats in real life. Mistakes are made, the dice are spread around his school, and well... Let's just say that teenagers probably aren't the most responsible stewards for crazy superpowers. :regd08:
Pros - Updates fairly often. Good art. Main character is believable and likable.
Cons - 10-15% of the comic is flashbacks. Stupid decisions and high-school drama are rampant. A few characters are pretty much :moreevil:

Hero BBS. A group of multidimensional heroes create a psychic messaging board, where various types of heroes throughout different universes can chat, ask for help, and make fun of each other.
Pros - Funny as poo poo. Despite most chapters being self-contained, has a lot of callbacks, yet doesn't pad out pages with flashbacks. Probably the best depiction of a multidimensional superhero goon. :goon:
Cons - Glacial update rate. A lot of the humor depends on knowing what they're talking about. Anime. As. gently caress. :japan:

World Customize Creator. A guy wishes for more customization in his life. Is dropped into a fantasy world, with the unique ability to customize anything, with almost zero restrictions. (Examples: Can customize clothes by resizing them to fit. Can customize a city by creating a tower in the middle of a plaza. Can customize a sword by boosting it's stats so the sword actually cuts better and is easier to swing.)
Pros - Likable main character. Updates regularly, once a month. Interesting concept.
Cons - Not really standout in any one way, kind of bland fantasy. Too much talking, not enough action.

New Saga. The hero saves the world, and defeats the evil demon. Too bad the world is hosed anyway, everyone he knows is dead, and billions of people have been murdered. While investigating the demon's treasure room, the hero discovers a magical stone that sends him back in time to before the war began. The hero then sets out to basically cheat-code his way into a painless victory, by knowing everything that's going to happen ahead of time, and save everyone.
Pros - Best concept ever, and the dude totally sells it. Updates once a month. Could very easy turn boring, but the author finds way to keep it interesting.
Cons - Weirdest romantic "tension" ever. Has pulled the "Now I show you my real power" trick too many times already.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

GorfZaplen posted:

FutureCop is posting page by page updates of Qualia over in the ADTRW thread: they're on the second to last chapter.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3557415

I checked the thread, and it looks interesting, but I can't find where the series begins. It looks like they start the translations in chapter 14? Where's chapters 1-13?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Somehow, I should have known from the descriptions that it would be the dude behind knights of sidonia, but that still hit me out of left field! Either way, I'll definitely be giving those a look.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Delicious Dungeon is pretty drat great, thanks for linking it!

I'm guessing that the "Slime" instructions are probably supposed to actually be for jellyfish, right?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Discendo Vox posted:

Next time log out first so your search profile doesn't alter the results.

:master:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Invictus posted:

Helck follows the titular character, the human hero, Helck, and "Anne", one of the Four Heavenly Kings of the demon world. It's hard to say much else without spoiling a lot of it, but even though I felt it was okay about 8-9 chapters in, shortly after that I hit a moment where I suddenly started reading huge chunks at a time until I got caught up, and now I really, really really like this series. It's clever and funny in ways a lot of series fail to be, it's dramatic and tragic in ways I totally did not expect it to be, it's often hilarious at totally unexpected moments that tends to balance out the really dark stuff very well, and on multiple occasions where I tend to stop reading a series if it does a particular THING, this series upended my expectations and went in a different direction with it. The world of Helck is vast and the characters are creatively designed and interesting. It may not break the mold a lot, but it does what it does exceptionally well, and Helck is a fantastic character in his own right.

So, I finally got around to reading this, and...

Yeah, that's basically the long and short of it. Read this. It's good.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

It gets way better, yeah. It starts off unassuming and cliche-filled, and then gets real good real fast.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Invictus posted:

Kumo Desu ga, Nani Ka?

I was surprised at how invested I got into the survival story of a girl's spirit trapped in the body of an RPG monster spider, but while there's not a lot of chapters out, the story has some neat potential. It also juxtaposes a cute little spider with some Real Bad poo poo going on really well.

I'm reading this one too, it originally was a Web Novel, then got published as a Light Novel, and eventually became so popular they started putting out the Manga. It's a thread favorite in the LN thread in ADRTW, and just really good in general. Definitely a must-read, and since there's only like 8 chapters translated so far it doesn't take much to get started with it. Plus the protagonist is just the most perfect kind of dork. :3:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jun 30, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Oh poo poo, I forgot about this thread. It's actually good timing that you posted that, because I was recently turned on to a new (actually old) series that I have absolutely fallen in love with. Originally a web novel (with an atrocious format) Maoyu ["Be Mine, Hero!" "I refuse!"] is a fantastic little story that was turned into a manga in 2011 and an anime in 2013.

I haven't yet watched the anime, although crunchyroll seems to have it so I probably will soon, but the manga is just so, so good. The first 14 volumes are readable for free, I read them on Kissmanga but I think other sites have them as well. The final two aren't really available on any free sites, I've only found them on Bookwalker for a pretty reasonable price. Although you might want to just buy the entire series because it is so good and needs to be supported. :v:

The plot is pretty simple. The Hero has come to the demon world to slay the Demon King and end the war between demons and humans. Leaving his companions behind, he ventures alone to the demon king's castle to challenge him. Except, it turns out the Demon King is actually a Demon Queen. What's more, she doesn't want to fight, instead she convinces the Hero to give her a moment to explain a few things about the war, about economies, and about how to really save everyone. At the end of her pitch, she makes him an offer: "Become mine, Hero!"

What follows is a beautiful story of romance, tragedy, economics, hope, and lots of overthinkin' it! It's hilarious just how well-written the characters are despite the fact that none of the characters in the story actually have a name. It was originally written as kind of a pseudo-play, so everyone is referred to as their title. The Hero is fantastic, a humble man who slowly learns just how little violence can solve. The Demon Queen is one of my favorite characters of all time, a self-deprecating bookworm who struggles with integrating knowledge beyond her era into a hostile world, and is overjoyed whenever she discovers someone else has realized their own strength. The cast that forms around them have their own unique voices, their own hopes and dreams, and the little clashes that occur because of this feel organic and natural.

I really just cannot overstate how incredible this series is, and how adorable the slowly burgeoning relationship between Demon Queen and the Hero is. It captures that perfect harmony of both members appreciating the other's strength, while worrying about their own weaknesses. When they finally begin to really support each other it's just... it's just so loving good ya'll. Give this series a shot, trust me.

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Aug 9, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

I'm actually gonna flip the script here, and ask the thread if UchiMusume is any good. It just popped up today on Kissmanga with two translated chapters, and I have fallen in love with it, but it's kind of a pain to keep up with a series this early into the translation and I don't want to get my heart broken by it turning into trash. Has anyone heard good things about it? Or possibly read it in the original japanese and can attest to its quality? It's adorable as gently caress so I'm hoping it's a series worth sticking with.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Hot drat, that's good news!

In other news, I was recently pointed to a new series by a friend, who simply told me "Don't judge this book by its cover." Unbalance School Life seems like it should be really, really bad. Hell, the tags are "Comedy" "Gender Bender" and "Romance", that's usually a guaranteed pass. But in actuality, it's kind of a loving genius subversion of the "guy turns into a girl" bullshit that delves into some deep topics about gender, identity, sexuality, and friendship.

The basic gist of the story is that an all-boys school that was turning co-ed was crashed into by an alien, and the impact accidentally released a gas that turned every male student in the school into a woman... except for the main character, because he was out sick. He comes back a month later, to find that all his friends are now women, and doesn't really know how the gently caress he's supposed to process this.

Thankfully, for his sanity, the alien that crashed is working on a medicine that will change everyone back into men after a year.

Unfortunately, for his sanity, some of the changed men are kind of way too into it, which fucks with his head pretty severely.

Although, to be fair, pretty much the best parts of the manga are his transformed friends loving with him endlessly.

And the other best parts are him loving with them back.

It's pretty funny at times, and the author is talented at using that humor to mask the deeper, underlying themes that are explored as the story progresses. There's a lot of weird tension going on, since basically the entire cast is unsure of how to approach their changed relationships. The main character loves the school nurse, but keeps getting strangely turned on by the superintendent. The main female lead loves the superintendent, but is extremely frustrated with how naturally he takes to being a woman. The best friend saw himself as a love rival with the main character, but now that he's got a female body he's kind of starting to get feelings for the MC and doesn't realize it yet. The promiscuous girl likes the best friend, but keeps throwing herself at the main character since he's the only "boy" left in the school, and feels really unsettled every time she looks at the best friend and thinks of how she likes/liked him. Nobody is throwing themselves at anyone else (Except her :v:), the main character doesn't suddenly want to gently caress all his friends, and the changed boys aren't suddenly wanting to jump his bones. They all still have their same identities, it's just that the change is causing them to start seeing things from a different viewpoint, and explore more about what makes them them. My description can't really do it justice, but it is a fantastic little series with 13 translated chapters up so far that I highly recommend.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Fine, whatever, don't read it then. Give Can't See Can't Hear But Love a try instead. It's so loving good ya'll, a manhwa about the love between a blind man and a deaf woman. The art style is adorable, doubly so with how loving cute the main female lead is.

The story is heartwarming, tragic, bittersweet, hilarious, beautiful... I can't give enough praise for this series. The story kind of bops around a bit chapter-to-chapter, detailing how the main male lead goes blind and loses his job creating comics, how he struggles to try and care for his mother who has dementia, and the modern relationship between the two. If you're on the fence about this one, skip ahead and read chapter 8. It will break your goddamned heart into tiny little loving pieces* and you will be hooked on this series.

(*I might be a bit biased due to my grandparents being deaf, so a lot of the things about Sori kind of hit home pretty hard. :v:)

Edit: I should probably add, if your heart is completely and utterly crushed by chapter 8, read ahead to chapters 9 and 10. They'll glue it back together. :3:

Captain Bravo fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 24, 2016

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

AnonSpore posted:

I'm the translator who makes the conscious choice to translate something to "gently caress" and then self-censor that naughty language to "duck"

It's me, I'm the person who actually thinks it's funny that "gently caress" is changed to both "duck" and "quack" depending on the situation. :negative:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

This next suggestion kind of requires a basic knowledge of Spanish, since I've yet to find an English translation of it, but it's definitely worth it.

Jurassic Gakuen is a one-shot about a dinosaur high school. It rules. No further explanation is necessary.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Sorry, I'll edit the post right now!

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Just chiming in to agree that Princess Jellyfish is really drat good. :allears:

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Spoiler alert: You don't. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Captain Invictus posted:

I hadn't heard about this until a few days ago, but it seems A Silent Voice is getting an anime adaptation, and it looks quite good. Here's a short clip:

Well, this is the best news I've gotten all freaking month! :woop: