Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

cafel posted:

I forgot to give Teppu it's props. Great to get away from the type of protagonists you usually get in sports and fighting series. Though it's not just the scanlations that are sporadic, the series is already on a once every two months schedule that slow translating exacerbates.

Yeah, I just read thru Teppu and it's really fun. It's a different take on the sports-manga style and gently caress if Natsuo isn't an amazing and brilliant rear end in a top hat. Also, the Portuguese lines in the manga are spot-on and I'm actually impressed by that. Wonder if I should give props to the scanlator or the mangaka. Kinda sucks that it stopped at a massive cliffhanger for now, tho.

Out of the other things on the thread, Qualia the Purple is fantastic and a total mindfuck. Assassination Classroom is pretty fun if you're okay with high-school slice-of-life shenanigans turned slightly on their head. I Am a Hero is a great read if you're okay with its basic concept - personally, I think it does it better than most other media that have tried to focus on it, especially when it comes to character work. Suicide Island is actually something that I didn't think would interest me that much, but it's pretty well-paced and straight out depressing at times. One-Punch Man is goddamn One-Punch Man. And you've been heaping enough praise on Nausicaa that I don't need to say anything else about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Yeah, I quite enjoyed Death Note until the halfway point, and then it plummeted in quality. It kept going past the point when it should've ended and that was a big problem, but I also feel like the plotting got too dumb. Yeah, the series with the potato chip scene got too dumb for me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Captain Invictus posted:

I believe it's been mentioned recently but there's a new manga in town, Shiori Experience, and it's about a 27-year-old schoolteacher in Japan who, after someone makes a devil's pact for killer guitar skills, she is mistakenly targeted by the pact and haunted by the ghost of Jimi Hendrix. The terms of the contract: if she does not become a guitar legend before she turns older than 27, she will join The 27 Club. It's a pretty awesome series with great art so far with a handful of chapters out.

It's as of yet unlicensed, the first two volumes can be found on Amazon in Japanese only.

I really hope this series gets an anime adaptation, but I feel like music licensing issues would prevent it from ever happening.

I'm a sucker for music-related stuff and these gently caress-japanese-high-school slice of life things so this was a pro-click.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Have you tried reading Solanin? It's a single omnibus and a really good slice-of-life manga.

See, I picked that one up because someone said something in a thread here, read five or so chapters, liked it quite a bit, closed the browser, went to bed and completely forgot the name of the fuckin' thing so thank you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I dunno, there are few things that keep me out of reading more manga than "oh, this series has 1500+ chapters and it hasn't finished yet and it might never finish". Especially when you notice the author trying desperately to stretch things out so his/her publisher doesn't go and do whatever it is they do in Japan to poor mangakas. I think the caveat is valid, and I say this as someone that was unemployed, bored out of his mind and read all of Ippo/watched all of HxH.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

There are a couple whose costumes are very much sexualized. Like the girl who can make any material she knows the chemical components too. But like I said Western Comics do this too. So it's a weird line to draw.

Yao is the biggest offender, everyone else is kinda on the same level as any other young adult media with fit teenagers wearing tight clothing. Overall it doesn't play hard into that anyway, there's little fanservice and the most fanservicey characters are of-age. It's worth talking about it as much as fanservice in shonen is worth talking about, but the poo poo poster (not a shitposter) is just being inflammatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I've always assumed it meant person gets sent to a fictional world, not a fantasy world. So that Yamcha thing fits the bill, but Inuyasha didn't.