Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Figured I would poke my head in to say god drat, I Am A Hero is good.

Welp back to reading. :munch:

edit: It's so good that I think I'm somehow gonna manage to shotgun the whole series in one sitting. I most certainly intended that pun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, I'm all caught up on I Am A Hero and it is nothing short of fantastic. Gonna be starting Parasyte soon at this thread's recommendation. :toot:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah the problem Death Note had is that it got popular. Like, way popular. And becoming way popular means that you have to keep it going because otherwise, y'know, it ends. There's a specific moment where you can tell the comic is ABOUT to come to a logical close, but it just doesn't for some reason and from then on it feels kinda disingenuous. The actual ending is still pretty good regardless despite how drawn out the series became, not to spoil anything of course.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If I had a nickel for every time I've seen "hurry up and X!" or "It can't be helped" I'd probably have enough change to fill a sock to beat up the translators with.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Speaking of nickels I just finished reading Nickelodeon at someone's endorsement over in the Post Your Favorite Anime Halloween Event Fastball Special forum and it was pretty good. Not all mangas need to be long and winding 3000 chapter epics. It had that same feel about it that Franken Fran does where each story wraps up in a neat disconnected little bow, but sometimes they bleed into each other just enough to go "yep this is all happening in the same world for some reason". Except with like 8 pages per strip.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I will never get tired of Dowman Sayman's silly anime lesbians. This man has a good sense of humor.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 1, 2014

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The art in Berserk is also beautiful most of the time and it really is worth a read if you can stomach them making no bones about the amount of gruesome violence in the lovely world it takes place in.

edit: Well several bones are made about it, I guess, but most of them are broken.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Captain Invictus posted:

This is a joke post right, you do know that Hiro is an actual name in Japan like John or Ben would be in the US?

What he means is that they rely on the significance of the name being an element of the story more often than he'd like. I haven't seen it enough to know if I'd agree or disagree though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Laputanmachine posted:

That would exclude series such as Qualia of Purple and I Am a Hero from recommendations, so you can kindly stuff it.

There are some great series that get to be licensed from time to time, but licensing is a business and playing it safe is a good business practice, meaning there is a metric fuckton of Shonen Powerlevel Friends X type series for one or two genuinely interesting seinen ones. Recommendations, and indeed scanlations give a bigger chance for more experimental series to gain fans from outside of Japan.

Then there's poo poo like Dark Horse putting Eden on indefinite hiatus and all the older volumes being out of print and hell of rare.

I don't think he was saying "Only link to manga you can buy and don't link to the online reading sites", I think he was saying it would be a good idea to add links to where you can buy it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WickedHate posted:

Doesn't linking to scanlations of legally avalible series' count as :filez: anyway?

Because of the sheer amount that you can't purchase in languages other than Japanese (or at all), it's become a pretty big gray area. This thread exists, so I'm going to err on the side of no, it doesn't. At least, not on SA.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

BiOmega also has this;

Meet Kozlov. He's a Russian scientist who circumvented the chance of infection by having his brain installed in the body of his pet bear :science:.

Alright well I know what my next read is going to be then

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Plethora posted:

Saikano
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Saishuu-Heiki-Kanojo

I'm kinda nostalgic for this one since it was my introduction to comics exploring dark concepts in a simple and personal light.

We don't need long brooding Rorschach narrations to tell us that war is hell, life is precious, and the human mind is just as horribly complex as it is fragile. All we need is one psychologically broken child soldier telling her fellows that she hopes the seals at the water park will be okay after the city is flattened.

Weird art style that borderlines on chibi at times and extended sex scenes that are painfully heartbreaking rather than erotic, but holy poo poo is it a punch to the heart.

Immediately after I finished reading this I was like, "well, I probably should not have done that" because it made me very sad. Which is I guess a good thing and an endorsement. Read this if you want to be incredibly sad.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Tulul posted:

Saikano is like a Skinner box but the lever just punches you in the balls. Very good, though.

This is probably the best descriptor of it I've seen. About halfway-ish through I was seriously considering just stopping and not finishing it, because I just didn't want it to get any more depressing. I knew it was going to bum me out, but it was great enough that I felt like I'd be doing it a disservice to just pussy out when it made me uncomfortable. In the end I stuck it out and it definitely did get worse, but I don't regret it as much as I thought I would.