Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Captain Invictus posted:

I have not read either, but I was spoiled on DN and also heard it shits the bed about halfway through. Liar game I can't speak for.

And if you feel something deserves to be in a list of quality series, feel free to make a recommendation using the same style of description in the OP! Example image, link to buy/read, genres, summary and your personal thoughts on it.

Death Note had the classic problem of not being allowed to end when the creators wanted to end it, be told that relatively close to when they wanted to end it, and kind of had to scramble and poo poo out a plot to keep it going. Its second half is pretty weak because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Nipponophile posted:

If you're not averse to moving pictures, Ghost in the Shell has several anime adaptations. All of them are high-budget productions with a ton of polish. For my money the two seasons of TV anime called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and GitS:SAC 2nd Gig are some of the best cyberpunk that's ever been made.

Many people swear by the movie adaptations, and they're probably worth watching. The first, I think, benefits a lot from nostalgia but is an impressive production and well worth seeing. The second movie, Innocence, is absolutely stunning visually, but the writing is ....

The first movie and both Stand Alone Complex seasons are absolutely top notch, though Stand Alone Complex is quite a bit better on top of that just because the series really lends itself to a long-form format. It's easily my favorite anime ever made, like, flat completely true statement. The second movie, Innocence, is more of a mixed bag. You can pretty accurately describe Ghost in the Shell: Innocence as "cool things just kind of happen without rhyme or reason and then the plot gets resolved". It is gorgeous, though.

There's also a third movie that was a sequel to Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig, Solid State Society. It's got similar problems to Innocence.

And then there's Ghost in the Shell: Arise, which was an OVA series first, then got remade into a TV series, then got (Is getting?) its own movie. Arise kind of blows, though mostly for having the Ghost in the Shell title attached to it. It misses a whole lot of the point of why the series is so good in the first place, and is... just kind of your standard near future sci-fi action show. It also is really, really bad at depicting Section 9. The character design and character writing suck a lot.

Long story short, if you haven't seen Stand Alone Complex, you absolutely should because it's really really good and the first movie is also pretty dang great.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
God, I forgot that the first chapter originally had such a horrendous translation.

And it was the only one we had for like eight months, too.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The best part is that the tournament arc only seems to drag on forever in comparison to the rest of the series' pacing - by shonen standards it's lightning fast and brief.