Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Okay I've been dragging my feet on this but I'm finally getting off my lazy rear end and writing up my thoughts on Qualia the Purple.

Well, this manga certainly doesn't lack for shock value. Pretty much every chapter ends in a twist, and each twist makes you go "Well poo poo, nothing can top that" and then the next twist does. I found it pretty amusing how the manga looked like it was going for a pretty typical yuri romance but then promptly took a running jump off the deep end with robots and evil organizations and poo poo. Captain Invictus was audience to a running commentary of my reactions as I read the first twelve chapters and I'm sure he chortled mightily at how many times I gave various iterations of "holy poo poo." I also found it pretty amusing to see concepts from my long forgotten university philosophy course rear their heads in a manga.

I like the direction the manga is going, especially the hints that Hatou is going to forsake her humanity for the sake of her goal, and that her obsession with Yukira might turn out to be exactly that, an obsession, rather than ~*true love*~.

THAT SAID, in retrospect it didn't stick with me as much as the shock value suggested. It was pretty wordy, in the not good way, which I suppose was unavoidable since it's based on a novel and introduces lots of scientific/philosophical theories that the reader might not know and so has to explain them. I didn't like certain aspects of the art, which reminded me at times of the simplistic style of an anime. I dunno, I enjoyed it, but it didn't really grab me and I admit I still haven't read the most recent chapter, or made more than a token effort to find the raws/the novel.

Also read I Am a Hero, it rocks. Boys on the Run, too (I actually like it most out of Hanazawa's works).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Sad Mammal posted:

If this thread is still taking suggestions:

I've read three of these four (haven't heard of Hideout) and they're all fantastic. I had a hand in scanlating Shigurui so I might be biased, but I liked it most out of those :v:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Teppu came off of hiatus a while ago, but it was on hiatus for a very long time because the mangaka was severely sick (as in, people were saying it would never be finished, the mangaka was dying, etc) and I guess interest from the scanlators died off during that time.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

What's he saying at the end there?

"I'm a dude who heroes as a hobby"

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

fadam posted:

This probably isn't the right place to ask, but are western comics anywhere near as popular in Japan as Manga is in North America?

Nah. They're called Amekomi and they're definitely a niche market. In particular fan translations like you get in America are almost non-existent. That said, a lot of stuff does get professionally translated but I haven't read them so I can't tell you about the translation quality.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I recommend HxH to people all the loving time. Sometimes I deign to tell them about its checkered update history. :getin:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

(there is a Japanese book version but I can't find it on amazon...)

http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E8%8A%B1%E5%AB%81%E3%81%AF%E5%85%83%E7%94%B7%E5%AD%90%E3%80%82-%E3%81%A1%E3%81%83/dp/4864104646

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Captain Bravo posted:

In other news, I was recently pointed to a new series by a friend, who simply told me "Don't judge this book by its cover." Unbalance School Life seems like it should be really, really bad. Hell, the tags are "Comedy" "Gender Bender" and "Romance", that's usually a guaranteed pass. But in actuality, it's kind of a loving genius subversion of the "guy turns into a girl" bullshit that delves into some deep topics about gender, identity, sexuality, and friendship.

I'm the translator who makes the conscious choice to translate something to "gently caress" and then self-censor that naughty language to "duck"

e: I read five chapters and this translation is extremely distracting in its badness

AnonSpore fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Aug 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Without getting too much into spoilers the power inflation in later Kumo Desu ga makes Dragonball Z look like small potatoes