Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coonskin_Cap
Dec 6, 2012
So on the Capn' recommendation I read Qualia the Purple, and I have to say that it is a blast. I think my reaction to the story in our steam convo conveys way more than a write up would.

quote:

12:40 PM - CCSA: this actually interacts pretty well with post modern narrative theory
12:42 PM - CCSA: the idea that in the literature of exhaustion, so called by barth, the search for an objective truth breaks down, even an objective truth is undefinable. people begin becoming unsure of previously established facts, unsure of everything that seemed certain
12:42 PM - CCSA: qualia, the "knowing" of things, relates to that
12:48 PM - CCSA: we see this in retracings of history through historiographic literature, such as maus and inglorious basterds. Even historical facts become misremembered, available to interpretation, stylistic nuance, &c. In such a world, where even science doesn't satisfy, nothing is really known to be real. I can't reasonably establish that even you, Invictus, are real, because I am limited by my own perceptions. Even if my perceptions confirmed your existence through touch, sight, smell, &c, these perceptions can be fooled, simulated. And even scientific apparatus is limited by my perceiving it. And under quantum theory, even matter itself and its state is affected by my perceptions. In this case, even objective facts are viewed through my subjective lens and are therefore open to doubt. This manga literally retraces this through the qualia discussions, about how perception is seen to guide reality.
12:50 PM - CCSA: in this case perception literally retraces reality into its own form. Usually, our perceptions are not this sufficiently strong, but it's interesting to think about how the world would work if that were true.
12:50 PM - CCSA: This is actually a pretty pro click, in summation
12:52 PM - CCSA: oh, and also i missed my bus lol

Maybe this is my contemporary american course talking, but this seems pretty similiar to what Delillo was writing about in White Noise, &c. You all owe it to yourselves to check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU