Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

The beginning setup is great, and the art is astounding, but the story gets really weird and hard to understand and the characters don't really get too much development in my opinion. And yes, the sexualization is ridiculous. Good concept and vision, poor execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Sousou no Frieren

A party of four — the hero Himmel, the priest Heiter, the dwarf warrior Eisen, and the elf mage Frieren — set out on a ten year journey to defeat the Demon King. Now they're done, and they're going back home to go their seperate ways. But before they part, they watch a meteor shower, and promise that they'll meet again to watch the next one in fifty years.

When they meet again, Frieren is the only one who hasn't changed. She is over 900 years old. The 10 year journey that was so important to the others was a mere percent of her life. This is a story about her realizing that she let her friends and comrades age and slip away while she spent her time wandering alone. It is about her journey as she tries to collect what memories and mementos they've left behind. It's about her attempts to build new friendships and gain new companions. It's different, it's well-drawn, it's slow, it's subtle, and I promise that there is no "she looks 10 but she's actually 900 so it's ok" bullshit.

It's a good series!

https://mangadex.org/title/48045/sousou-no-frieren

Karia fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 29, 2020

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Glad you all like it! I'm doing some spring cleaning on my bookmarks, figured I'd throw some of the good ones in here.

I definitely agree that "melancholic" is a good word to apply, so here's something at the opposite end of the spectrum.

Uchi no musuko wa tabun gay
Or, My Son is Probably Gay

Hiroki's mom is pretty sure that her son is gay.

He's not exactly subtle about it. She doesn't want to embarrass him by asking him directly, but she'll do her best to support him however she can!

That's... about it. It's not very deep. But if you're looking for a quick, atypical, cute pick-me-up story, this is a good'un.

https://mangadex.org/title/41114/my-son-is-probably-gay

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Here's a few series from a bunch of different genres:

Shuumatsu no Valkyrie
https://mangadex.org/title/33537/shuumatsu-no-valkyrie

I think the best way to describe this is as a hybrid between Kengan Ashura and American Gods. The gods are getting bored of humanity, and decide that it's time to just end the whole experiment and move on. But before they blow up the world, one of the Valkyries stands up and calls them chicken for not giving humanity a fighting chance. The solution? Best of 13 deathmatches between the gods and all of humanity's greatest heros.

Ever wondered what would happen if the biblical Adam was a boxer who tried to punch out Zeus? Do you stay up late at night trying to figure out whether Jack the Ripper could kill Heracles? This is your manga. It's over the top, it's stupid, it's incredibly dumb, and it's a drat good time. Oh, and Brunhild is pretty great sometimes.

Kuroha to Nijisuke
https://mangadex.org/title/20431/kuroha-nijisuke
https://mangadex.org/title/31067/kuroha-to-nijisuke-kuroki-majo-no-divertimento

I've been trying to come up with a quick summary of this series, and failing miserably. So I'm not going to try. Read the first link above, it's only four chapters and serves to set up the rest of the story. You'll know if you want to continue to the main series. WARNING: it can be pretty dark, and there's suicide in the first chapter.

There are two reasons it's hard to sum up this series quickly. First, the plot is kinda twisty (but not extremely twisty.) It goes beyond the initial setup you'll see in the first chapter, and I don't want to give spoilers. But that major reason is that I don't want to sell it short. Any two-sentence explanation is going to make it sound like something it's not. I mentioned this series is dark, and it absolutely is, but it manages to walk a pretty fine line with it. On one hand, it could wallow in all the bad stuff that happens and just be a miserable, depressing series. On the other hand, it could overuse that horrorific stuff, and end up losing the impact when something bad happens. Instead, it's somewhere in the middle. Bad things happen, but they never swamp the story completely. And really, that's fundamentally what this story seems to be about : sometimes life's gonna come at you fast and there's nothing you can do to stop it. But if you keep a positive attitude and just keep trying to do whatever little bit you can, sometimes it'll turn out for the better.

But I'm probably reading too much into this. It really isn't that deep, and it's not a masterpiece or anything. But this is a solid series for anyone who likes something a bit dark with a hint of romance and action.

Both of those are kind of intense, so let's end with something much more light-hearted.
Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru
https://mangadex.org/title/34944/soredemo-ayumu-wa-yosetekuru

By the same author as Takagi-san, this is a fun and harmless rom-com. Tanaka Ayumu is a first year in highschool, and he's got a crush on the president (and only other member) of the shogi club. But he's decided that he won't confess to her until he can beat her at shogi. She's really good at shogi. He's... not. It's gonna take a while, and in the meantime, we get to enjoy their stupid hijinks and flirting.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Are You Really Getting Married?

This is a really well-executed version of a familiar trope. Two socially awkward employees of a travel agency decide to get engaged so they can avoid getting transferred to a new office in Siberia. It's pretty early in the series, but I think we all know where it's probably heading. But even though the destination is obvious, that doesn't mean it's not worth going. It's no thematic accident that the main characters work at a travel agency: their job is to plan trips and make the journey as seamless as possible for their clients. Honjouji sets out to plan their wedding with the same degree of attention.

But just like anybody who's traveled can say, the most interesting parts of a trip are always the parts that didn't go quite as you expected. This isn't just a story about Oohara and Honjouji getting married. It's a story about everything that goes wrong on the way.

And on top of that, Oohara and Honjouji are just super down-to-earth and relatable. Honjouji's super into maps. Oohara has a cat (get prepared for high-quality cat butt drawings.) It's a welcome change from the hyper-exaggerated characters of the author's previous series, The World God Only Knows.

Also Mercator Love is a perfect song and I will hear no argument :colbert: