Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Onepunch Man looks absolutely superb, so I think I'll make a start on that soon.

I'm surprised no-one has suggested Death Note, but I guess that's why we have a suggestions thread!

In Death Note, there is a shinigami named Ryuk - a creature who takes the lives of others by way of a notebook named the Death Note in order to prolong his own life. Bored of his never-ending existence, Ryuk drops his Death Note into the human world to see what happens; it is picked up by genius student Yagami Light, who over the course of the first chapter descends into total megalomania thanks to his newfound power over life and death.

As the series goes on, Light (with Ryuk in tow) attempts to create a new world order in which criminals are murdered seemingly by magic by his alter-ego, Kira, in an attempt to rid the world of crime. Light, meanwhile, has to keep his affairs hidden from detective prodigy L as he is drawn further and further into the investigation into himself.

Most of the focus is on the cat and mouse game between Light and L; I know the manga and anime have slightly different endings, but otherwise they're largely the same, as far as I'm aware.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I picked up All You Need Is Kill this weekend because the full collected volume is a steal at £10 and it is absolutely superb. It's pretty chunky, so it would make a good, cheap Xmas present too.

I also found a western comic book adaptation of the novel (made before the film, not sure if it came before the manga?) so I had a flick through; it was a good reminder what it is I love about manga and how obvious western tropes are when put side by side with another culture's take on the same thing, since a lot of people see the similarities between manga comics very easily but tend to be somewhat blind to their own cultural tropes.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Have you seen Edge of Tomorrow? How does it compare to the manga? I saw it and it was fantastic and really good at putting in humor in an otherwise pretty drat bleak situation as well as having tons of great action and sci-fi shenanigans, but I've not yet read the manga.

I haven't seen the film yet, but it seemed like fun, so I'm sure I'll get around to it. I'm going to read Onepunch Man next, but if anyone could recommend anything else in the impossibly-beautiful-action genre to go with that and AYNIK I'd appreciate it!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That looks amazing and has gone right on my watchlist.

Delicious Dungeon is pretty good as well.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That looks radical and I should probably read it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The manga won't take as long to plough through, a lot of visual gags work better and there are cover arcs that never made it into the anime that flesh out the world more. Definitely the manga.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I really need to catch up with AoT, I fell off for no particular reason shortly after the basement reveal, despite it being super good.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Hell yes, I'll check that out shortly. :cheers:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The day I bought my Surface and loaded up one of my Comixology purchases was the day that physical media died in my life forever. Comics look absurdly pretty on a good tablet screen.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That bear is full-on CGI. It's not even slightly disguised. :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Both the original anime and the manga of FMA are what got me into their respective mediums (I found out after I finished the anime that the manga was still going, which led me to discovering that it went in a whole different direction, which was pretty mind-blowing at the time), but Christ I just couldn't stick with Brotherhood. The music in particular is cloyingly twee, and it is crammed to the rafters with obnoxious chibi stuff and other elements that work just fine for conveying motion and pushing focus in a still medium, but make me pray for the sweet release of death when applied to anime.

I might have to reread the manga though, it's been a while and I just love FMA.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

So is there a Download All button for those comics, because that's an obscene amount of stuff for me to download. :psyduck:

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Saw Alita, loved it to bits, definitely buying it on release. I still found her weird CGI face distracting and would have preferred a real face, but I will say that it was one of the most well animated and expressive faces I've ever seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Huh, I was meaning to pick that back up. I probably still will, but I guess I'll steel myself for a last minute faceplant.