Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I felt Monster was too long and kept not ending, but when I re-read it years later it went by at a brisk pace and I thought it was pretty much perfect.

I think the lesson is when you're not super anxious to get to the big reveal RIGHT NOW, and instead see the series as a Japanese The Fugitive, things get a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The first movie and both Stand Alone Complex seasons are absolutely top notch, though Stand Alone Complex is quite a bit better on top of that just because the series really lends itself to a long-form format. It's easily my favorite anime ever made, like, flat completely true statement. The second movie, Innocence, is more of a mixed bag. You can pretty accurately describe Ghost in the Shell: Innocence as "cool things just kind of happen without rhyme or reason and then the plot gets resolved". It is gorgeous, though.

There's also a third movie that was a sequel to Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig, Solid State Society. It's got similar problems to Innocence.

And then there's Ghost in the Shell: Arise, which was an OVA series first, then got remade into a TV series, then got (Is getting?) its own movie. Arise kind of blows, though mostly for having the Ghost in the Shell title attached to it. It misses a whole lot of the point of why the series is so good in the first place, and is... just kind of your standard near future sci-fi action show. It also is really, really bad at depicting Section 9. The character design and character writing suck a lot.

Long story short, if you haven't seen Stand Alone Complex, you absolutely should because it's really really good and the first movie is also pretty dang great.

It's also all on youtube for free, legally.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELodfehz4fB38

It's fuckingg reat. If you only watch one aniem in your life, it's not a bad choice.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Steak posted:

Can I shill Souboutei Must Be Destroyed...?

Full disclosure: I'm the one translating it, but it's also a manga I'm a huge fanboy of. I mean, that's why I'm translating it.

Souboutei Must Be Destroyed

[link]

[thread link]

Years ago, two young boys encountered something horrifying inside a haunted mansion called Souboutei. Now, those boys are the prime minister and defense minister of Japan respectively, and they use their authority to order an airstrike on the mansion. Of course, the house is unscathed, but this event jettisons our main character into the plot by obliterating his apartment which just so happened to be next-door to the haunted mansion. And another character, a young boy named Rokurou, has a horrific experience inside Souboutei just before the bombing, which results in his father's death and inspires him to vow revenge against the house. Meanwhile, a plane crashes, containing a child who went missing 45 years ago and has the mysterious ability to turn his arms into drills. Also, inexplicably, he has a single-minded hatred for Souboutei.

And that's only chapter 1.

It's ostensibly an action series like Kazuhiro Fujita's most famous prior works (Ushio and Tora and Karakuri Circus), but it also borrows heavily from horror, plus practically every other genre you can think of. It seriously juggles a staggering amount of genres in a plot that somehow remains entirely cohesive. And speaking of cohesion, the author truly had the entire series planned out from the start. Vitally important plot points are foreshadowed over a hundred chapters in advance, and dramatic parallels are formed all the time with things you'd long since forgotten about. Also, as you might guess from the title, the series is also quite impressively laser-focused. There isn't a single chapter that's not geared toward defeating this one titular enemy.

I highly recommend this manga for an unendingly unique experience that never lets up for a second.

Note: it's not a completed series, though it should be finishing in the next year probably. I release new chapters in English every Wednesday, one day after the Japanese release, with the help of a fan group.

Thanks for recommanding this, I'd never hear dof it and it owns so much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr. Steak posted:

hey no problem man! actually i should be the one thanking you for reading it, since ive kinda made it my life's mission to get people reading this series lmao

I get chills every time someone looks all intense while saying "Souboutei must be destroyed!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

SOUBOUTEI. MUST. BE. DESTROYED.

:hai: