Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013
I don't know if it's due to everyone already knowing the author's work by heart or anything, but I feel like Naoki Urasawa at least deserves a mention or footnote. I feel that his works are incredibly accessible to western audiences: Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto (especially Pluto), and Billy Bat. Personally, not having read Monster or 20th Century Boys, but having a general understanding of the first being really nihilistic and depressing, and the second going on several long tangents, I would recommend reading Pluto. It's premise is for all intensive purposes like a Japanese Powers, but uses a well-known 65-year-old franchise to full effect as it's narrative template, while modernizing the style of its characters.

I also just picked up Billy Bat again after dropping it two years ago, which kind of spurred this post. Billy Bat is a massive mystery focusing on a half-japanese manga writer in 1949 getting caught up in a conspiracy containing many major historical events. However, in this case, the Da Vinci Code is Mickey Mouse.

This is a thriller that revolves around iconography, and I love it.

Next-Jin Engine fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

It's "intents and purposes", not "intensive purposes".

Also, looking back on 20th Century Boys, I don't think it's very good. It meanders and some of the reveals and pivotal moments are incredible, but as a whole I find it middling at best. I definitely felt it dragged on a lot longer than maybe it should have.

Sorry for the misappropriation; I believe at least that Pluto and Billy Bat both work as serialized suspense pieces. I lost interest in Billy Bat two years ago, but I was able to find my spot and continue on without having to remember too much. I think Urasawa's style is really unique to manga (Otomu's might be a close match), and enjoy the creativity that's present there, especially the blurring between comic and reality that's in Billy Bat.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

Man Dancer posted:

20th Century Boys really did fizzle out, and I sold it all almost immediately upon collecting the whole series.

Monster sits proudly on my shelf with Pluto and the Astro Boy trade that contains "The Greatest Robot in the World" storyline. Urasawa isn't a sight-unseen pickup for me anymore, but his highs are among the highest in the biz.

Yeah, I hesitated to bring him up on account of how well-known his titles are, but as this was the place for it, was just in case there's anyone left who hadn't heard of him, or never tried out his stuff. Also, there hasn't been any talk about his recent stuff on these forums for almost 2 years now.