Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Attack on Titan(s) was fun. It's not, you know, Attack on Titan (which obviously confuses people)* but it's worth a look. Even with a dumb love triangle.

*And maybe that's a bennie for the reader, idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seven Deadly Sins is an interesting read - unlike a lot of shonen battle manga, I think it moves almost too fast. (Yeah, I know.) I like it, but that does feel like a flaw. If you like that sort of thing, though, I'd definitely give it a look.

Also all the agreed on Alita. I've been revisiting it with the giant hardcover collections Kodansha's been putting out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Am I mistaken or is this going to kick the aforementioned kissmanga and the like right in the dick?

This also makes a total joke out of Marvel's online sub program, where the new stuff is three months old.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

People will absolutely go for the official scans over the tanjiadohh lofulamingo-sama (Don Quixote Doflamingo) or BISOROMI BEAR (Bartholomew Kuma)-level translations I think. The only issue is the week early scan leaks.

Of course the fanlations are where you can only get the ACTUAL cursing and not watered down like in the official translations. (Which is an excuse I've seen with my own eyes.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

I said it could be the netflix of manga, not that it is. If they get other companies/stuff from viz on board, it could snowball into something amazing.

Yeah, just getting like Kodansha and Yen Press onboard would be gigantic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

Uh does Yen Press do anything of worth besides Dungeon Meshi? All their other stuff looks like mediocre d-list works copying bigger sellers from other publishers, like Hatchette is just hoovering up whatever titles don't have a license without any regard to quality.

edit: Never mind they do Yotsuba, they're cool.

Yen Press reps for Kadokawa which is huge and why I mentioned them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

How much of BAA has been adapted in the movie? Up to which volume roughly?

I'd like to say the first two volumes, more or less. Like Alita does motorball in the flick and it's introduced in the second volume, but she doesn't do the main motorball story that was in the second volume. Really it's a combination of the first volume and the OVA.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

ryonguy posted:

I'm def gonna pass then, you'd have trouble fitting just the first volume into one movie, and cramming in two haphazardly with missing/out of place scenes left and right just doesn't sound like something I'd want to see. More like a BAA flavored action movie than an adaptation.

Rodriguez was actually really deft in putting the movie together. If you enjoy the source material and don't see it, honestly it's your loss.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Holy crap.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

It's always fascinating to hear stories of the mangaka wrestling with the editor over control of their series, especially when you can look at the work and reflect on how those discussions/arguments turned out.

Yeah. Bleach makes a lot more sense when you find out just how much Tite Kubo and his editor went around and around. Tite wanted more of an adventure series and his editor wanted him to follow the more standard battle shonen forumla.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The first Tenchi OVA still holds up pretty well, although like a lot of harem stuff the more love interests you add the more diluted it gets. It's more concerned with action for big stretches anyway which helps and is a lot more tight than other iterations which need to fill a lot of time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurui Reiten posted:

Apparently the original creator or writer or whatever did a bunch of pseudo-canon doujin that suggest an eventual poly-amorous relationship with all of his potential suitors.

It really felt more like Tenchi didn't want to choose instead of choosing them all. Even calling it poly feels not exactly right since the girls didn't particularly care about each other beyond their already established relationships. It also included Kiyone who is like The One who never actually cared about Tenchi that way?

Anyway, yeah, it's weird.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 23, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

What was really fun, and by fun I mean horrifying, was reading Gunsmith Cats when it first released in the States in floppies before Dark Horse even started collecting it and not known that they had aged up Minnie by two years and even then it was kind of sketchy.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

so Attack on Titan is approaching its finale, with probably a volume or less to go before the ending. It's one of my favorite series of all time, and with the release of the season 4(final) trailer WHICH YOU SHOULD NOT WATCH UNLESS AT MINIMUM CAUGHT UP TO THE ANIME IF NOT MANGA, I feel now more than ever is the best time to get in if you've not seen it yet.

The most important question is how much will it feature Mikasa's abs. :colbert:

Although seriously it's a little bizarre some of the people I've seen dump on the show for being either pro-fascist or like I mentioned in the YT Personality thread in RGD how it 'urges Japanese youth to reignite the Japanese Empire' which is a take I've seen in places that should also know better.

It's the show that got me back into anime and manga when I was sort of burned out by all the cute girls doing cute things series, which if people like that's of course fine, but felt like that was the trend and was not for me.

pentyne posted:

Note that the ur-example of German military fashion were all hilariously impractical and expensive uniforms that were designed to look that way because the Nazi's expected the war to be quick battles then head off to parade marches so the hoi polloi could fawn over them. Worked out pretty well in the long run since people still believe they were some glorious achievement but everything about German uniforms, tank design, engineering etc. from the 30s and 40s was basically a state sponsored cosplay event for pretty pretty dress up style total war.

And that happens like all the time. All of the uber German stuff - the whole 'Germany had the best toys' line - were also over-engineered to the point of absurdity. The Tiger's engine was prone to catching fire. The Bismarck was sunk after one combat operation. It goes on. (I think their planes were fine maybe but thankfully Goering was an egotistical moron.)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wow. All of Mangadex is down right now. I wonder if they're getting KissManga'd.

Edit: Or did some big chapter of something drop and everybody's flooding the site?

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

oh, just got reminded this gigantic manga humble bundle is ending in a bit over a day. It's got a bunch of good stuff in it, To Your Eternity, Don't Toy With Me Miss Nagatoro, That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, Tokyo Revengers, and Seven Deadly Sins.

Seven Deadly Sins is the only shonen battle series I've wanted to say 'whoa, slow down' although it's to its credit it doesn't take an eon to get the namesake characters together.