Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This is a fantastic thread. I am sure that people who are ingrained in US comics would find some manga refreshingly different. People should really consider trying some of these.

This is a badass list, too. I'll post my own thoughts on good starting series later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Kgummy posted:

Qualia the purple chapter 13 is out now. Just a heads up.

Yes! And here it is.

It was as great as I was hoping. Insane. I like the willingness to have extended internal monologues just running through the crazy things she is doing by this point, and how dark and brutal it can be. Once again it shows just how ready and able it is to go crazier than you could have expected. Yet, despite how much seems to happen, it does feel like we haven't moved much. Still very good and still giving the unique unsettling vibe that I love about the series.

I've been called out on forgetting to add my remarks on my other favorites too, so here they are!

I Am A Hero is crazy fantastic. I wish it would stick with the main story more, but I think it is an impressive combination of art and writing and ideas. I had absolutely zero expectations about where the story was going since I dived in blind as recommended, and it was very worthwhile. Do it this way if you have any interest at all. I think this is one of the best ways to break anyone's preconceived ideas about the quality of stories that are told in mangas or even comic books in general.

Yotsubato is on the other end of the intensity spectrum. It's adorable, but not really sickeningly or weirdly or unrealistically. It's based in the real world, not anime land, which makes it great. I agree with Captain Invictus and also place it in the top of my personal list. It's nice to just read low impact, low intensity, day to day adventures of a normalish dad and his weird rear end daughter. And they are very well written and are genuinely heartwarming without being... lame? I also like Bounnouji for this, but that's more about a late 20's love story.

Qualia The Purple is a story that is enjoyable for the way it is constantly surprising you. That's all I can really say. You can have all the expectations you want going it, it will blow past them into the far far realm of insanity, while still feeling planned and consistent with itself. I highly recommend you give it a shot. It has dashes of normal anime stylings but those are not indicative of where the story goes at all.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

One-Punch man has the best art, best humor, and best concept. It is specifically targeted at people tired of cliche giant comic conflicts and powering up and drama. It is a cathartic superhero story for anyone who has ever wanted Superman to just punch the bad dude in the face. Also, Superman is a petty, immature, and bored loser. Like if Hancock was a average Japanese guy instead of an American hobo, and also actually interesting.

Also, the story has somehow managed to neither A) Become boring with its predictable endings nor B) Betray the original gimmick in order to add tension or drama. I feel like the story begins straddling the finest edge between being a joke concept book but also cool badass hero comic, and it hasn't wavered one inch towards either side since then.

It's probably the best comic to show a comic book fan who has an anti-manga bias IMO. It just is so comedic yet absurdly cool at the same time. And the art.... is loving astounding.

Speaking of the art, I'd recommend Eyeshield 21 by the same artist. Not the same writer, though. It's a series about Japanese high schoolers playing American Football. It is a little "anime" sometimes, but the characters are almost universally fantastic. It has some of the best art out of anything in my opinion. The way the artist, Murata, conveys motion and impacts and tactics puts a lot of other comics to shame. Combining that with your connections to the characters and teams leads to some very, very satisfying wins and loses. It is a fantastic sports manga.

Chinaman7000 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Oct 21, 2013

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I gave it a shot cause the setup is pretty interesting, but it isn't grabbing me. I actually do like the style of drawing, and I think the faces are pretty good, but the actual designs and content range from generic to.... Uh.... French maids? It just isn't doing it for me. The setup and some of the questions and concepts are fun to see applied to a generic fantasy plot but it is ultimately pretty shallow and weak and focused on characters who aren't interesting.

I gave up pretty quickly so if anyone says it picks up I might try to work through, but the path I see the plot taking is lamer than I expected. And I was expecting a manga about fantasy economics, so that's impressive.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I've tried finishing Death Note a couple of times in my life but never could. I always lose interest around the same time. That said, the same time is pretty drat deep into the story, so if you've never given it a chance then it's worthwhile. It can get a little contrived but in a fun way where you get to see intricate plans from different geniuses unravel around each other.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Bakuman is great! Well, the non-"romance" parts at least. I never connected the dots, though, and that definitely makes a whole lot of sense. It's a shame. It really loses a spark after that.

I super liked and recommend Bakuman. I dropped it a while ago but really liked the characters, especially the first editor guy they have. It has a few lame characters and moments but overall is very fun.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I do feel that a certain point in Qualia feels like a great ending on its own in a Twilight Zone sort of way. Things aren't resolved, but the emotional arc of the main charcter feels complete. It isn't about the original goal anymore, it's about how crazy her obsession and abilities have become. I felt satisfied reaching that point, and having more coming out feels like a bonus more than anything.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

It's a funny and enjoyable story. A pleasant surprise for the weird and honestly dumb premise.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Thread continues to deliver. Loved Parasyte, ordering the series. Great characters, writing, humor, horror, and concepts. Feel like some plots didn't get resolved super completely, the final conflict wasn't what I wanted, and the scale of the story never got as large as I wanted, but it was super well done and the story has stuck with me since finishing it a few days ago.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Never read past the first 2/3rds of Death Note, but the first half is still great. Reread it a few years ago and still enjoyed it.

Liars Game always looked rad.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Manga are just comics. The only problem is when we end up touching the different cultural tolerances for creepy poo poo.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I feel like reading Berserk made me realize the source of some of the more hosed up perverts on the internet. Also, parts of it are really really good.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

If anyone was reading Qualia the Purple and hasn't caught up to the latest of what's available (chapter 16), I recommend it. It continues to impress no matter how many times I say "well that must have been the batshit insane concept and twist they were building to all this time".

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

I read Dungeon Meshi and liked it. It's a really cute thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

Spirit circle just ended at chapter 45. Overall an emotional rollercoaster of a series and I got a bit misty-eyed at some things in the finale, particularly the montage of handshakes. Really fantastic series, lucifer and the biscuit hammer was a good series, but it feels like a prototype to spirit circle's final product when put side by side. The final chapter name was brilliantly done and poignant as hell, too, not many series can play around with chapter titles in an emotional way like that.

Fantastic series, one of the best I've read in ages, for sure.

I started this cause Biscuit Hammer is one of the best things I've ever experienced. The guys style, tone, and ability to grow characters is something I've never seen in any other writer. Very plain, mild characters I never gave a poo poo about got so much depth by the end of Biscuit Hammer, and his apathetic tone and anti-climatic humor style really appealed to me too. The setup for Biscuit hammer was also super unique, but wasn't my favorite thing.

I'm 2/3rds through Spirit Circle now and holy poo poo. All the qualities I liked about Biscuit hammer, with very different characters, very awesome concept, and very well executed. One my favorite feelings is following a story, wondering "wait what about ----" and then the story immediately brings it up and deals with it. Spirit Circle is full of that. And the characters are maturing really amazingly, it reminds me of the character development in Parasyte, which was the best part of that manga.

I was super into the story already, but I just got through the future story, and my mind is tripping and I need to really get through the last of this now. Also, the way all his friends kept showing up in old lives was really lame at first, but has turned into this really deep and emotional thing. Seeing his daughter from one life be a random girl at his school, or his former father figure in his best friend, is surprisingly effective poo poo.

Highly recommended.