Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah I think this is one of those situations where I'll never be able to get past the premise to give it a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Some of them are also not translated that well, which can be a barrier to enjoyment.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Do not watch the anime.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

There's a baby impaled on a spike in like the first issue. I didn't come up with that as a litmus test, but I think it's a pretty good one to figure out if you want to read Berserk.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Didn't Dragon's Dogma have a Berserk DLC in Japan?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The animated adaptation of Monster is really, really good.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Discendo Vox posted:

What is with these prison comics and starting things off with a hearty helping of male rape?

It's like the number one thing people know about prisons besides "there's bars on the windows". Still not great.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

That kinda looks like a romance series about a 20 year old dating a middle schooler.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

He is older, but not by THAT much. I think there's a 4 year age gap between them.

Pass.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Lurdiak, could you not post in this thread anymore? You rarely say anything of substance and you seem to think that you passing on reading a series is worth posting about. Thanks.

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings wrt this manga.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

Nah you're just being a poo poo-stirrer. I'm saying be a better poster if you're going to bother posting in this thread instead of just being some kind of one-sentence post factory.

I'm sorry that discussing how I feel about a manga is considered poo poo-stirring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You can buy it in french.

Actually, there's a ton of manga available in french that isn't available in english.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

People routinely bring this up and the answer is always silence from the mods.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The fights in Rocky are actually goddamn terrible. It's more about the character, especially in the first 2 films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Leper Residue posted:

alright, dark secret time. Rocky is boring. 4 is the only one semi interesting outside of the fights. Balboa has the best fight. Everything else is a snore fest.

He's a simple man who manages to become somebody in a world that says people like him should be nobody. I understand if that's not compelling to everyone, and I also understand why people respond more to the superhero theatrics of 4, but I "get" the movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

I've never actually seen any of the Rocky's. I was going off most of what I'd heard about the movies(which admittedly isn't much, but cultural osmosis is a helluva thing). :v:

And real boxing kinda sucks to watch in my opinion.

Sure, but Rocky and his opponents seem to have never heard the phrase "put your dukes up" and just eat punch after punch until the hardest puncher falls down. It's fine though, the movies aren't about that, just like Raging Bull is absolutely not about the boxing.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I'd not heard of Knights of Sidonia, but it makes sense that the guy who created Blame! would be able to do cosmic horror.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

e X posted:

A lot of manga seem to have this problem.

Well, sometimes it's the publishers being jackasses and not letting the creator end things. I'm pretty sure Frieza was supposed to be the original end point of Dragonball Z, or maybe even the first Vegeta fight. But Shonen Jump kept asking for more stuff because the franchise was a goldmine, to the point where the creator just threw up his hands and let them make GT as long as he didn't have to write or draw it himself.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pacing-wise, is Monster a better read or watch?

I'd say it's a better watch, because the show can use the slow pace to create dramatic tension better. But it's probably a matter of preference.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Well slap my rear end and call me Charlene.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Glagha posted:

I was with it on this until they started sexualizing the 12 year old.

:japan:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CowboyAndy posted:

So I just finished the first three volumes of Akira. What are some similar mangas to it? The main things I've liked about Akira so far are:

1) The Cyberpunk/Post-Apocalyptic setting
and
2) It being a short series (just six volumes total)

Sounds like you want Blame!

It gets kinda surreal at times, but it's only 10 volumes and it's really, really cyberpunk. Although it's got more cyber than punk overall.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Please don't steal mangafox's bandwidth.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

God drat, that is insanely cute. I can really see the heartwarming and personal nature of this manga helping some people understand transgender issues better.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Colored kids with a policeman nemesis, huh. I don't see that lasting too long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blame! is really good but I also am still not sure what happens in it despite having read through it twice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Stop calling panty shots "fanservice".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know anything about my hero academia, I just object to how anime fans use the term "fanservice" to mean "really creepy sexual content" instead of what it actually means.