Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...
I found when I lived in the US that tons of people didn't use their parking brakes. You could tell when they parked because they would take their foot off the brake and it would roll forward until the transmission caught it. One of our friends eventually started to use hers to 'humour' me because I harrassed her about it so much.
It was something I never understood, do people not know what it's for or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

Elephanthead posted:

I didn't know parking brakes ever worked until I got a job that paid enough to not buy 10 year old cars that had seized parking brakes or removed parking brakes here in the rust belt. Don't park on a hill unless you are at the bottom.

One of the good things about the whole parking brake 'controversy' is all the hilarious youtube videos of cars rolling away from people.

Project M.A.M.I.L.
Apr 30, 2007

Older, balder, fatter...

NoWake posted:

I rented a newer Subara Legacy and spent a good 5 minutes at a gas station poring over the owner's manual trying to find out how to open the drat fuel door. Turns out the latch to open it was just hidden under the driver's floor mat. I had a similar experience with the Chevy Cruz I'd rented a week before, you have to 'click' the fuel door to get it to release so you can open it. Not very intuitive.

The petrol flap for one of my cars was behind the rear number-plate (license-plate). After I bought the car I went to fill it up before driving home and was stumped. Looked all over the car twice before getting crafty and looking in the boot in case I could see the filler pipe. Nope. Looked under the car for the tank and then saw where the filler went! Such a mission. It was a used car with no manual handy that I could look at at the time.

Oh and as for lights, that car had the low/high beam switch operated by a button on the floor to the left of the pedals. You stamped on it for high/low operation. The light switch itself was on the dash, a kind of knob that you pulled out.

Renting a car in Italy, it was a Fiat and we were in the car park for 5 minutes trying to get into reverse before realising you had to sort of lift a plastic ring that was attached to the boot on the gear shifter before you could move it back into the reverse position.

And one car, I forget the make, it took ages to figure out how to get the lights into high-beam. I can't remember the eventual solution but it wasn't one I was familiar with.