Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I had to tell my friend last night how to turn her lights on properly. She was driving at night on sidelights only, "because the next notch is main beam". She didn't know that you flick the stalk to switch between main and dipped beam. :psyduck:

KozmoNaut posted:

Don't E30s have dual circuit brakes?
Yes, but if you lose a circuit, it still has an alarming effect on the braking. More of an issue is that the E30 uses a mini-drum inside the centre of the disc for the handbrake, and it's less than wonderful in terms of power. Though saying that, any car I've owned with a cable operating a disc caliper as a handbrake has seized once it starts getting on in years...

If you're going to be playing silly buggers in a FWD car on really right country roads, though, a bit of duck tape to hold the handbrake button down is quite a useful modification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I work on bikes, often old bikes, and I gotta say there's an awful lot of undeserved disdain out there for people who don't know poo poo about motor vehicles. That's fine with me, man. That's why I got my job. There's a lot of poo poo I know nothing about, like astrophysics and dentistry and Chinese history. You don't know what to do, you go to an expert. The problem comes with people who think they know something.
There is a base minimum level of knowledge that is expected if you're going to even get into a car. You know that the planet we're on orbits the sun, that you should brush your teeth, and that there's this country somewhere that is a source of pandas and cheap manufactured goods, right? Because that's the kind of level we're talking about here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I got caught out by a Citroen AX once. No handbook, and all the markings rubbed off the stalks. Headlights are activated by rotating the entire stalk, there's no separate knob on the end. Took me fifteen minutes to work it out.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

If it was made in the last 3 decades, I've been in an example of it
:allears:

Seriously, though, when the markings rubbed off the controls years ago, it's pitch black at night and you're twenty miles from home, you do discover that "ergonomics", "commonality" and "familiarity" aren't necessarily words in every designer's vocabulary.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

VikingSkull posted:

If you're driving a car built long enough ago that the markings are worn off, the controls are more or less standard. It isn't until very recently that things have started to deviate. From the early 60's to the late 90's basically every car had the same setup.
Did you not see the AX example I posted about earlier?

quote:

Also why are you waiting until you're on the road at night to learn the controls?
Because I've sat in a wide variety of cars from all kinds of manufacturers, and always found the basic controls to be fairly similar. Sound familiar?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
He means the low beam is so out of whack that it's already high, and high beam is just a joke.

Related, can someone please explain to people that, if I give way to your oncoming lane at night, don't flash your high beams at my face to say "thanks".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rear fog lights are installed for people who will either fail to turn them on when it's foggy, or fail to turn them off when it's not.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bugdrvr posted:

If that were me and I had my wife and kid in the car I'd be playing loving motorcycle pinball until the cops got there.
Yup. You put a guy with his wife and infant with him in a position where he feels genuinely threatened, you take what happens on the chin. If he'd smeared a few of them against the concrete divider as well, I wouldn't have the least bit of sympathy.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In some countries (Japan & Singapore for sure, probably others) hazard lights are used to say "I am pulling in to stop at the side of the road". In the UK, we just indicate to that side, and people are meant to work out contextually that you're stopping rather than turning. Unfailingly, the ones who don't are the ones who ride your arse all the way up the street, leaving them with insufficient gap to pull round you when they finally realise you're coming to a halt. At which point they get really arsey with you.

So in short, the UK method antagonises tailgating cunts, and is therefore preferable.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

davebo posted:

This should absolutely be the state's responsibility to have some sort of frequent re-test for the elderly to ensure the safety of everyone else on the road.
Broadly, yes, I agree - but in absolutely no way do I think the powers that be would do it properly, or that it would be implemented by the right kind of testing. I do want an elderly driver to lose their licence if they're actively dangerous. I do not want them to do so because they fail a test on the kind of not-strictly-necessary bullshit learner drivers have to put up with.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

Growing up in London one of our neighbors was a leading urologist who regularly put away 1.5-2 bottles of wine a night and would often get called on in the middle of the night and would drive to the hospital and operate. By that point it was probably more normal for him than working sober. :eek:
Clearly he just got used to taking the piss.

Atticus_1354 posted:

Well this just happened directly in front of my apartment. The driver of the white truck with trailer was taken off in cuffs and was likely drunk.

The first person to make bale before being arrested.

Geoj posted:

I don't really understand the obsession with :spergin:
It involves technical comparison of cameras, no other explanation needed.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
That's hilarious.

Though anyone pulled over for doing 88 in a DeLorean, regardless of the posted limit, should automatically be given a free pass.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The UK is one of the places where the accuracy of the speedo is meant to be within certain limits (as per the contruction and use/type approval stuff, I don't think it's checked at the annual MOT). Mustn't under-read, and you're allowed to over-read by 10% + 6mph at normal road speeds (up to 70mph). The speedo's meant to be able to read up to the car's top speed.

I think commercial (tacho'd) stuff is required to be more accurate.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Geoj posted:

Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on?
Yes. Same people who get self righteous if you dare to find other people's screaming children on planes etc to be really loving annoying.

quote:

She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.
"And your solution to feeling threatened is to physically confront a complete stranger twice your size?"

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I came to that realization when my reason for not getting a dashcam was "I don't want to catch myself doing stupid poo poo".
Perhaps more accurately, "I do not want to provide evidence that would allow someone not qualified to make the decision to declare me to be doing stupid poo poo".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, it's only the consequences for my licence that prevent me cruising at a ton-twenty in those conditions.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

some texas redneck posted:

I've actually been pulled over for 120 (mph) before (55 zone). :stonklol:
If you pick your time and place, I don't really have a problem with this.

quote:

Escaped with a massive (and very well deserved) rear end chewing. Empty highway, broad daylight, running late to work... I still don't know why he didn't arrest me, but I'm glad he didn't (every other word out of his mouth was "gently caress" or "Andretti" though).
Now, here's the thing, this is why I really don't like speed cameras. Cop pulls you over, they can arrest you, they can shout at you to stop being a twat, or they can give you the "if I see you again" routine - but it happens right there and then, and you drat well pay attention. Camera gets you, you get a nasty letter in the post a week later, and all it does is piss you off.

It comes down to whether you believe that the idea should be to hammer people who break the law, or to discourage people from breaking the law in the first place.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

jamal posted:

They are actually supposed to be the natural speed of the 85th percentile. And by "natural speed" I mean how fast people would drive if there was no posted limit.

The no speed limit thing worked well here in Montana. No one really drove faster than 80-85 on the interstates during the day and fatal accidents decreased during that period, mostly because people had better lane courtesy. These days Texas and Utah have 80mph limits on some sections of highway. I love that section of 15 in utah. You can pretty much get away with going 90.
When they introduced speed limits on the major roads in the UK, they found that the peak speeds, how fast the fastest cars were going, dropped, but the average speed of the traffic increased. Given a specific limit, people used their whole "allowance", even if they had otherwise been perfectly happy to drive slower when there was no limit.

Of course, this makes for a lower speed differential between slowest and fastest, which I'd agree is probably safer overall.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I particularly like it when I've advised people not to go up/down a given hill, and their response is a combination of a "you're not the boss of me" attitude and "yeah, well, you made it ok, didn't you?". Yes, I did. With four wheel drive, winter tyres, and a pretty good idea of what I'm doing. You, however, are a typical "more throttle is better" dickcheese in a sports-tyre-shod 3-series. Go find out the hard way, I'm off to do donuts in the Asda car park.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
If he does what he says and gets it off the windows and lights, as well as the majority of the roof/bonnet stuff, I'm not really seeing why it would be an issue.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rcman50166 posted:

I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly.
You're being a knob. Get out of the hammer lane.

rcman50166 posted:

I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:
Assuming, of course, your car is actually fast enough to do this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

rcman50166 posted:

The humor isn't for everyone. Imagine everyone trying to troll everyone and that's the sort of posting that goes on.
So basically it's a load of unfunny cunts trying too hard?

Vindolanda posted:

Boris Johnson (mayor of London, v. keen cyclist) just said he wouldn't mind banning riding with headphones or earbuds, after I think eight people were killed on London's roads in about two weeks. London cyclists (well, some) have exploded at him.
If that's what he said, he's completely right. I don't know the circumstances of all the accidents that have happened recently, so I'm not going to comment on those in particular, but I've seen enough cyclists on roads to be 100% certain that of those killed annually, a fair number of them probably earned it fair and square, and an equal proportion of those still alive should probably thank a combination of blind luck and other road users' reaction speeds.

When I'm on my bike, I use the road the same way I do in a car. Got wheels, on a road, you're a vehicle, so loving act like it. The retarded chucklefucks who think they're some kind of immortal wheeled pedestrian whenever it suits them? I detest them. The only reason I care in the slightest if they get themselves pureed is because of the effect on others, in particular the driver involved (who will probably get the blame).

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Gets even better when the imbeciles at the local council decide that they need to stick a bus lane right up to about 30' from the junction, so that's all the distance for everyone to move from the outside lane (because the bus lane's on the inside) to move over to the inside (because, of course, the outside lane is turn only, not straight ahead). gently caress bus lanes, they screw the traffic flow up permanently for everyone driving simply to make it slightly more convenient for the two or three buses an hour that go down that road.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Sometimes with tailgaters, I just go sailing into roundabouts with a little more enthusiasm, and keep an eye on the mirror to see if my companion is both paying attention and has some idea of what they're doing.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Thank you, imgur.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Dead Cow posted:

I'm no where near the people in front of me cause I like my car.
How do you not have people pulling into the gap you leave?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
When I had a dicky starter solenoid, I started the car with a jumplead from the starter terminal to the battery, nice big spark every time. On balance, I decided I'd be better off if I left it running while refuelling.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

Cars use fuel much slower than you can put it in the tank at the station, clearly.
Attempting to build vehicles for which this untrue, however, is a noble AI pursuit.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I've had the same issue, I don't bother with cheapo SD cards any more, quality 16GB ones aren't a whole lot of cash and do what I need.

In terms of snow driving, living in South Yorkshire and the midlands, I've never encountered anything that prevented me getting where I needed to go. Some of my favourites include driving to London and back in an E30 325i on £30 tyres, while people in SUVs were abandoning their cars at the roadside, and driving 80 miles to meet up with my family for a meal only for the restaurant to say "hey, good thing you got here early, we're going to have to close earlier than usual because some of the staff can't make it in".

Besides, car park donuts, powersliding out of junctions at walking pace, it's all such great fun.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 29, 2013

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Krakkles posted:

Because I like to drive fast, and I appreciate it a great deal when others don't go out of their way to make it difficult or unsafe for no reason, I tend to move over if I see someone coming up behind me faster and can do so safely.
Yup. I had someone the other day change lanes without indicating on a roundabout to block my path. I don't even think they were intentionally closing the door on me, they were just loving stupid.

Also, the guy in an Audi who, at the next roundabout, pulled out into the second "straight on" lane, clearly with the intent that he could nip round the roundabout quicker than the cars which, up until that point, had been in front of him. Unfortunately, the speed he entered, navigated, and left the roundabout proved he didn't really mean it, and this was distinctly irritating for me, because I was barrelling up in that lane already, and I really did mean it. He didn't even floor it when he (unsurprisingly) left the roundabout exactly level with the "slower" traffic he'd pulled out to go past.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDaONrHK1f8

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Horse Divorce posted:

I don't know, man. I heard some pretty bad stories about a dude who used a teleporter with a house fly. I don't even want to imagine what would happen if you used a teleporter with a pony.
It'd certainly make you the centaur of attention.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The gun chat just reminds me how irritating it is that I'm not allowed one. :(

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
This evening I saw someone back out of a parking space into a van's front bumper, and there was something about the way he did it that screamed a sense of "yeah, well, he should park all the way into the bay, shouldn't he?" righteous indignation. Never mind that there was no way that thing was going to be able to get any deeper into the space, they were being distinctly miserly when they laid out the carpark. Told the van's driver, but all they'd done was dislodge a reflector, and he clearly wasn't bothered about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Michael Scott posted:

e: Nevermind, I guess there wasn't any real damage.
Yeah, I clocked his plate, but it's not my place to chase something up if the guy who was hit doesn't care.

Kill-9 posted:

I ain't even the slightest mad though as that brush guard already is scratched to hell as you can see.
There are few things short of a negative result from a pregnancy test which cause such obvious relief to spread across someone's face as when, after they hit you, you get out, look at the damage, shrug, and wander off.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

I am very, very cautious pulling out of that stop sign now. It's close enough to my house that I hear accidents there every month or so.
I'm still irritated about my friend being found at fault when his nose was clipped as he crept out between a line if stationary cars. Yes, technically the other guy had right of way, but he was accelerating up the centre of the road, in the wet, toward a red light, and then freely admitted after the fact that he was going too quick for the conditions and couldn't stop.

The arrangement of the road, with a pedestrian crossing/bollard not that far behind him and the solid traffic, meant he would have either had to have been on the wrong side of the road or pulled out immediately after the bollard and properly floored it to put himself where he was.

But he was still on the major road, and so had right of way, meaning he was automatically not at fault. I'm a firm believer in the general principle that "every accident you have is your fault - you either cause it or fail to see it coming", as it keeps you in the right frame of mind, but drat do you want a "being a fuckwit" clause sometimes.

Of course, then I'd risk being hoist by my own petard, as idiot's opinions on what counts as fuckwittery may well differ from my own. Same reason I'm not always that keen on people being done for "dangerous driving" based in the opinion of the plod. Ok, fine, you think what they were doing was dangerous - explain why you are qualified to make that assessment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Jonny Nox posted:

I wish there was sound available on the vid, because it looks like it was really limping as it drove off camera.

In Alberta shops won't work on a vehicle with over $1000 of damage without a police damage sticker. Do other places have that? Because all those accidents look like they would require some serious repair to the offending vehicle.
Never heard of it. It's something to say that the accident was properly recorded, right? I can see why it makes sense for a some stuff, but surely there must be people who have a repair needed that isn't an accident the police would get involved in? $1000 isn't a huge amount, you could probably do that scraping your own driveway gatepost or something.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Well, at least his handbrake'll work really well.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'd have less of a problem with if if their idiocy was legally recognised, and hitting them meant you received a cheque from their estate to cover the damage rather than a prosecution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
While the UK driving test is better than what people are describing here, they haven't (yet) made it mandatory to receive formal tuition from anyone, and that's something I agree with. Set the standard and test people against it, how they choose to get themselves to that standard is up to them. I agree that no-one should be allowed to charge for tuition unless they are in some way licensed, but there's nothing wrong with relatives or friends teaching someone.

In other news, a girl at work paid £45 for a pair of new windscreen wipers.