Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

revmoo posted:

My favorite thing to do to tailgaters is slowly increase my speed and then zoom through a tight corner at 45mph and then watch in my rearview as they come out of autopilot.

As hilarious as this sounds it will end up with the idiot behind you understeering into the oncoming lane and killing some innocent driver. I know this because pretty much exactly this nearly happened to me, idiot tailgater came sliding head on into my lane wheels locked at about 60. I had time to jab the brakes and twitch the wheel and he actually clipped me without causing any damage. I stopped and called the emergency services, he dragged his sorry rear end out of the ditch. If I'd have been a couple of feet further on the road I'd be dead, no doubt about that.

So yeah, don't deliberately cause accidents please, no matter how much the tailgater deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My wife knows how to change a tyre. She'll probably never do so but come the zombie apocalypse she'll know how.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Not missing the lack of front fogs in my current car. I am being treated like poo poo by other road users a lot more since I started driving a a Beemer though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

General_Failure posted:

The Niva's headlights look all cockeyed but I parked it in front of the shed and they actually are going where they should be. I have absolutely no idea what the deal is. I also find low beam is easier to see with than high beam. Part of me feels like they were wired backwards but I can neither confirm nor deny this. Nobody has ever flashed me. It just seems to be a better scatter on low.

Just a random suggestion but yours is an rhd conversion, I'm not sure whether they used different lamp units or just re-aimed the lhd units.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm beginning to think that a cheap dashcam might just not be a bad idea for everything I own these days.

Seriously this. Maplin do one for £40 that looks a bit janky but does the trick, no reason not to at that price.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Opensourcepirate posted:

When I wrote the post, I was thinking the Audi driver was at fault. Deciding whether the Audi or the biker is more at fault is rather subjective though. Almost all of the close calls I've had while driving have been the result of more than one little thing going wrong at the same time, rather than one big thing. Here it was A) Audi wasn't giving bikers the room he should have B) Car was parked poorly, and then because of those C) Cyclist looked back for too long.

Unfortunately, no the Audi driver is entirely not at fault here, it's all on the cyclist for riding casually into the back of a car that had slowed down.

I say that as an occasional cyclist as well. Where I've been treated like that I've just pulled over for 2 seconds to let them past.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Are there gaps between the files? Can you set the length of file segments?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Just ordered one of those dash cams, £33 to the UK. Hope nothing hilariously inept happens before it gets here :buddy:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can easily blow an hour watching Russian dash cam compilations drunk.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Shut eyes, accelerate.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

General_Failure posted:

How is it people like this seem to have pristine cars?

New/replacement cars are delivered in pretty good condition.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

People's capacity for stupidity never ceases to amaze me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Coming into work this morning at about half six, fairly empty a-road, I'm doing 65 for economy. I see a Mini tailgating a wagon up ahead, maybe a little over a metre between them at 58mph in the slow lane. Other than us the road is empty, so imagine my surprise when the Mini pulls out in front of me just before I pull level with him. I brake like crazy and probably came within a couple of inches of hitting him then drop back, fuming and making sure the dash cam was on, yup it was.

Fucker actually slows down slightly, the truck started to pull ahead. I leave it a minute then flash my lights when it's obvious the Mini is totally unaware.

Glad I dropped back and left that gap, twat jumps on his brakes, forcing me to e-stop on an otherwise empty 70mph a-road.

Then he speeds off and I lose him. I get into work and pull the card from my camera, fully intending to report the fucker with evidence.

Card is corrupt. The camera thinks it's okay and writes happily, no pc reads it. I slap in a spare 2gb card and that records and plays back okay so I think that card is no good. Back to Amazon with you.

I don't understand people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bugdrvr posted:

Was this one of the cheap 32GB Class 10 cards from Amazon? I bought two of those for I think $12 each and they corrupt the data from both my GoPro and my Chinadashcam. I substituted a 16GB SanDisk and both cameras work perfectly. Stupid lovely cards. They seem to work ok for music and still pictures but I don't think they are able to write nearly as fast as they claim.
Glad I didn't get into a wreck or miss out on filming a huge propane explosion.

Exactly this. Checked an hour or so ago, the 2gb card is still good, and probably 5 years old.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Before my V70 was crushed I gave the horns to my little brother for his Spitfire. :3:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I love the trends for yellow headlights, more than words can express. I'll never get them myself but everyone who runs yellows isn't running purple hidzzzz.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I had to take a mandatory reeducation test after I was involved in a collision back in uni, it was a 2 day affair and my instructor stopped me about lunch time and said I'd fail if I didn't make a mistake before the end of the first day, because if you didn't show improvement on day 2 you failed. I them deliberately racked up about 20 offences so I couldn't possibly be worse on day 2.

100%, then when we got back to base we had to leave to go rescue the truck driver that had wrecked his test car :v:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

At least they have good traction with four limb drive, and grippy hooves.

Bullshit, ever startled a horse? They corner at speed well but off the line they're like a spider on rollerskates having a fit.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

To be fair having the gall to renew your insurance is a pretty good reason to try and double your premiums in the UK.

Except mine, for the last two years letting it auto-renew has been nearly £100 cheaper than the next best quote. :psyduck:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My first car was a 998cc (61ci?) Fiesta. Looking back the only thing I'd change would be to make sure my second car was that Volvo 340 I missed out on, rather than the Vauxhall nova I ended up with.

I was a monumental twat in that car, it's amazing I never crashed it.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

You forgot:

I don't give a poo poo

&

If I indicated people would know what I was going

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Vindolanda posted:

--Car was made in Britain. Indicator switch does not operate indicators, but does do something, possibly related to oil leaks or intermittent hot smell.

Ah, so you've heard of the Lucas oil filled relays then?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I used to literally halve my fuel consumption tailgating trucks, it's not 1 or 2 mpg.

I do it less now, and I know it's stupidly dangerous so shut your face.

E: just turned off the light in the utility room, the (fancy pants electronic) oven turned itself on at the same time. Weird.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

0rganDonor posted:

To you and any other person reading this thread; The engine brakes don't turn on the brake lights.

Cakefool posted:

and I know it's stupidly dangerous so shut your face.

For the first time since I've had my own phone number I've not been pestered by midnight texts and phone calls, finally, people are getting the message that I'm a cranky miserable bastard :haw:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I'm looking forward to the snow over here so I can listen to people at work complain how their hybrids refuse to move in the snow due to over-active, permanently-enabled traction control :allears:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

kastein posted:

14 Inch's thread just reminded me.

I get to drive home on black ice tonight! Yesterday: 40s and melting all the snow, today: 50s and raining hard, tonight/tomorrow: single digits! :haw:

And I have to be somewhere at 6 so this is going to be during peak commuting hours.

Just kill me now :suicide:

Chains or studs?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Hope you either got him towed or called the cops on the drunk driver when he left?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

The final ten miles of my committee can be done at 80 most days, but today I was stuck about 20 cars behind a tipper on a flatbed taking up both lanes. Fine I think, resigned to sitting at 40 for the journey.

Some people however, even though they can clearly see nothing is getting past, were jockeying for position like their lives depended on it. My personal favourite was the guy in the green e46 who took off down a residential street that parallels the main route, probably briefly hit 80 them had to e-stop to dive back into traffic when it rejoined, precisely 1 car ahead of where he started.

Countless drovers lunging and diving, brake lights flashing every 5 seconds as they try to maintain the perfect 1 metre gap, meanwhile my average economy drifted up towards 60 as I sat calmly between two trucks with something approaching a sensible gap both behind and in front of me.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Just ask any copper. There are so many people out there who, even if looked dead in the eye and reminded that wouldn't it be a whole lot better if we all went home and had a nice cup of tea rather than causing any more trouble? will continue to rant and rave to the point where they get arrested on a charge of being in public while loving stupid.

600 hours a day of police-following reality tv backs you up on this, I should know because my wife watches it. Some of it is quite fascinating though.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Section 5 in the uk pretty much covers it. Pity its wide open to abuse...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I hate driving a bmw.

I was driving in the left lane (UK, so slower of the two lanes, 70mph limit) at 68 and come up to an audi doing 65 so I pull over and pass at the same speed (I know, I'm a monster). As I draw past he speeds up to match. Someone comes up behind me so I accelerate a little, he matches it. We get up to nearly 80 and he has to yield to a truck which I slow down in front of. As he passes me both the driver and passenger are shouting and at gesturing at me.

Later I pass him again, still doing 68. This time when he tailgates and passes me his passenger holds up a pad to the window, stating "gently caress bMW drivers"

I miss my Volvo. Or my Citroens.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Tall posted:

Distance isn't the problem - it's almost impossible to get the kid out of the car in a normal parking spot because they're narrow. Normally when I have the baby with me I park as far away from the shop entrance as possible because gently caress other people opening their doors into my car, and my legs work.

If they put the parent and child spaces at the far end of the car park, I'd be totally happy. I have the space I need to get the baby seat out, and lazy fucks won't take the spaces because they're not right outside the entrance.

I fully support this, 2 kids and a pushchair and shopping is a nightmare in my car, my wife's car is much wider so I'm sure people would appreciate not having door dings by us using the parent and child spaces, no need to put them anywhere special as long as your car park has pedestrian walkways.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I realize this probably wasn't your intent, but this comes off as if you're saying "Well, if I don't get special parking spaces I guess I'll just have to ding people's doors! I can't be held responsible."

Probably not the best attitude in a forum where murdering someone because they scratched your paint would most likely be considered justified.

Absolutely not my intent, no. I get angry as gently caress when my car gets dinged and the one time I know I dinged someone's car (at work) I found who owned it through site security and went to see them, they couldn't care less but were pleased someone cared enough. It's just difficult to hold a car door not quite open fully but wide enough to get in, get a baby out of a pushchair, get them in safely and strap them in without hitting the next door. Simultaneously supervise another older kid getting in the other door, plus as load of shopping and a pushchair. Wider spaces are a godsend, I don't care where they are as long as they're safe to get to.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Driving home yesterday I lost count of the number of people either on the phone, texting or on loving Facebook, including at least one confirmed selfie by a couple of young women in a Ford Ka with two little kids strapped into the back, at 30 through a complicated intersection.

The Ford Ka has the survivability of a crisp packet in impact tests, even for the back seat passengers.

It makes me depressed to think how much effort I try to put into keeping my car roadworthy, paying attention and being a little bit courteous and then you see these people who don't grasp the consequences of neglecting either.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

My street is over half a mile long and nothing but houses, many with kids, opposite a park, one street over from a primary school. Despite being absolutely resolutely a 30 zone, and that being too fast by half when there are cars either side and kids about, even people from this street think it's okay to go over 70. I wish we had speed bumps or a camera.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 6, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Don't you live in the UK? Set up a camera, send the footage to the police, they'll probably knight you for putting another camera on public roads.

I've complained to the council a couple of times, unfortunately until there a real incident (read: some kid gets killed) they won't do anything. I honestly don't give a poo poo if you want to speed where only you will get hurt, or where it's honestly safe to do so, but drag racing part a school and park? Not on.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

There's bumps spaced so wide vehicles like ambulances (and the wife's multipla) just sail over them.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

I once honked at a guy on his phone and he dropped his phone on the road.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

davebo posted:

How did that happen? Was he hanging his head out the window while holding his phone?

As for baby on board stickers, I do admit if someone is driving unreasonably slow I won't tailgate them if I see one of those signs. Of course sometimes I won't tailgate anyway and just assume they have poorly secured potted plants they're transporting.

Some pillarless BMW, he was leaning his head out the window a bit. It broke, I laughed and didn't get chased down and killed, good outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

InitialDave posted:

Some old giffer in a Volvo S40

Redundant fragment, consider revising.

I was the person you share the road with today, lovely mood, explosive temper, ugly terrible fatass fiat, I was about a spilt second away from just rage ramming some shithead who decided a tesco parking lot was the place to assert his dominance by driving like a cock.

Cooled the situation by just screaming endlessly and punching the steering wheel repeatedly, probably lucky the airbag didn't go off.

Who am I kidding, it's electrical and fiat, it'll never go off.