Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cars and trucks generally dont catch me out too much- Our New MAN truck caused a bit of confusion- its got the indicators/horn on the LH stalk on the wheel, the Right hand stalk controls the gearbox! Want to turn right? CHANGE GEAR!

What ALWAYS catches me out is our New Holland tractor.

The big orange stalk on the dash is the shuttle for the transmission- pull towards you and up, you go forwards, pull towards and down, you go backwards, tap either direction for neutral.

The black stalk below it. Thats the indicators and headlights- Its a Euro tractor so everything arse about backwards.

The number of times i've come around a corner powering away, gone to cancel the indicators (no self cancel on tractors!) and dropped the tractor into neutral is embarrasing. Not quite as embarresed as the cars tailgating me (I weigh 9 tonnes and max out at 42kph- Gimme a break!) and suddenly find themselves with their bonnets UNDER my slasher! Thank god it lifts the thing over a meter into the air, or i'd be doing a hell of a lot more accident paperwork!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Smoke posted:

My own :france: 2010 Peugeot 207 99g has semi-automatic headlights though. If they're on when the engine is switched off, they'll turn off too and go on again when the engine is started again. As a result I always keep them on. Kinda sucks when I have to drive a car that doesn't have that feature, as I will forget to turn them off after killing the engine.

The landcruiser does that too- as soon as you open the drivers door with the key outside of the ON position it kills the headlights, and as soon as you turn it back to On, they come back on.

Its great- I dont leave my headlights on in my own vehicle, but im terrible at doing it at work!

Toyota also fitted a nice feature to the 100 series- the power windows stay active for about 45 seconds after you kill the engine, and they are all auto up/down. so you can shut down the engine, realise you've left a window down and as long as you dont open a door you can close em up without having to have the key in the ignition. Auto up/Down should be manditory on all electric windows- One quick press or lift and all 4 windows go up and down.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

All our new toyotas at work have the "Put your seatbelt on you tard" chime

Its the first thing thats disabled. The second one is the "YOU LEFT YOUR KEYS IN THE IGNITION WITH THE DOOR OPEN!" chime on the hilux's. Yes i know that, I WANT TO LISTEN TO THE drat RADIO!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

This is about the worst we have in Adelaide:

The Britannia Roundabout. Its a 5 way, two lane roundabout, with a loving forest in the middle of it! The biggest issue is the two roads in the North west corner- You cant see the traffic coming from the western approach because its so far over your shoulder you nearly need to stick your head out the window to see.

They do use the NW corner as part of the V8 supercar circuit though, hence the rumble striping.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

kastein posted:

I always thought those signs were a "see if you can get the high score" game :shrug:

Speedos aren't easy to calibrate on some cars, mine is pretty easy, just costs about 40 bucks in parts every time I have to do it. Reminds me, I need to check what speedo gear tooth count I have now, pretty sure it's a factory 34 tooth, I need either a 35 or a 36 tooth depending on which way I round it and how much air is in the tires.

They put one of those overhead speed check thingies on the Hume Highway just south of Albury/Wodonga and didnt bother to set a max display on it, until photos of the thing showing 200, 230, 280kph started to appear online.

Now theres a sign on the side of it "MAX SPEED DISPLAYED 120KPH"

Being Victoria, Im honestly surprised there its not back to unlimited display and has a speed camera hanging off the back of it

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

You Am I posted:

Thank God I don't live in a place where it snows.

you should visit the high country when it snows- the number of chucklefucks around Perisher and Thredbo who probably cant drive on gravel, let alone snow is enough to make me take 30+km diversions around the FIRE TRACKS to avoid the worst bits around the snow fields if Im over that way in winter

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Dear god listen to that truckers austism accent.

Im more irritated that he's obviously in a truck and driving past an accident, where rubberneckers are traditionally the most retarded, whilst paying more attention to filming the loving thing on his phone than his driving.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I had a delicious bit of Schadenfreude this morning on the way to work. I'm driving along, on single lane hills roads doing the speed limit when a wanker in a lowered commodore comes speeding up behind me, total spankers car, lowered, lovely body kit, massive chrome rims, HID fogs on (clear morning in summer) music up so loud I can hear it over my engine when I pull up at an intersection.

Retard proceeds to tailgate me for a good 10 mins, so close I can't see anything of his WINDSCREEN out of the rear of the landcruiser. Got to a point where they're doing some roadworks and have diverted our lane off the road onto the gravel verge for room.

Turns out when your jammed up the arse of a landcruiser, you can't see the 2-2.5" lip where the bitumen ends and the gravels been kicked away by traffic. Also turns out when your following a landcruiser with high performance 2" lifted off-road suspension and 33" mud terrains, and he goes over that lip at 30-40kph, he won't even feel it. But you certainly will feel your commodores front bumper being ripped off and fed under your front wheels!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

South Australia has a pretty involved licence system now- starts off with a learners permit, which restricts you to driving with a full licensed person supervising and restricts your speeds and driving times, then you have to do formal driver training with an accredited instructor (which is a bitch to get and maintain so it's a very high standard) and pass either a log book of standards or pass an on road test. Then you get onto your P1's, which allow you to drive alone but restricts the hours your allowed to drive with passengers (trying to stop the "P plater smears 4 friends into a tree at high speed at 3am" news articles...). Once you pass another test, you get your P2's and less restrictions and after a set time you get your full licence.

http://www.mylicence.sa.gov.au

It's a good system because it restricts the amount of lovely driving habits parents pass onto their kids and it means most people have at least a basic level of skills to drive a car. Doesn't stop em being arrogant and stupid, but at least they're semi skilled arrogant idiots.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Must be nearly time for the tour down under again, so many spastics in Lycra on the roads again. That road train of arrogance would have been 200m long and doing no more than 25kph in a 100kph zone.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Its one thing to be in a group of 3 or 4 riding 2 abreast (which is legal here) doing 70kph below the posted limit so you can just go past them in half a second. Its the 100 strong groups riding 4 abreast imagining that they are in the tour de france as a 200m long peleton that are a loving menace to themselves and others. Thats an undulating road with blind corners and has semi trailers hoofing along it at 100kph. Can you imagine how many of them will be paste on the highway if a truck springs over a rise onto the back of them?

Shitloads of people who were obeying the letter of the law whilst riding have wound up in a morgue because the laws of physics have pushed their poo poo in with a truck or a car.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

What do those zig-zag lines over the lanes signify? Is it warning drivers to slow down or be ready to brake?

Im reasonably sure (Since they are the same in South Aus as Victoria now) that the zig zag lines mean you've either got a school zone or a pedestrian crossing coming up, So if its a school zone you gotta drop to 25kph and give way when kids are present. If its a ped crossing you gotta give way to EVERY pedestrian on the crossing

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

EightBit posted:

I pulled a few similar stunts with my doorless TJ last summer. Those lovely nerf bars might not stand up to rocks for poo poo, but they'll ruin your doors, same as my meaty tires :allears:. The :btroll:s come real huge down here in San Antonio, and they can't stand the heat for poo poo; I'm not skinny by any stretch, but I can tolerate 105F with a little breeze while I fiddle with my stereo and make sure my groceries aren't going to blow out on the highway.

I was in one of our work vehicles a few years back, which has the full compliment of ARB armor on it- Bullbar, side rails, sill protectors. Sitting in a shopping centre waiting for the other guy in the crew to get back from subway and a woman pulled up beside us and just flung her door open into the side of the work truck.

Which smashed a beautiful 1.5" dia dent into the edge of her door at about lock level and stopped the door from latching.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Smoke posted:

Fresh from the Belgian news:
These are the rear end in a top hat drivers others share a road with.

Police is apparently already investigating this and they know who it was.

Man drives a van on the highway, passes a truck and is cut off by someone in a BMW, who then decides to make some dangerous moves.

Im glad noones tried that poo poo on me in the Toyota... the brakes are definitely not good enough to haul up 3500kg that well at freeway speeds.

gently caress it would be funny when the bullbar destroyed the arse of the BMW though

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Previa_fun posted:

This won me an involuntary $150 donation to the State Police a few weeks back. I was behind a Ford Escape that was doing anywhere from +5 over the speed limit to -10 under seemingly randomly (use your cruise control people I know you have it) and when my side of the highway opened up to two lanes I threw it down a gear and booted it past the guy...

...right when a state trooper comes over the hill in the other lane. I must have got his attention because he threw on the anchors and flipped a bitch right there. I knew he had me so I dropped back behind the Escape and pulled over. I'm sure the Escape driver was amused, at least.

71 in a 55. :suicide: loving stupid and I was surprised myself. I usually cruise at around 60, I promise.

Thats getting off lightly, 114kph (71mph) in an 88kph zone (55mph) would net you a 26kph speeding fine, which is currently $690 and 5 demerit points. You only get 12 demerit points in a 3 yr period before you become a pedestrian for a while

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

I only follow as closely as my brakes can adequately stop my vehicle in a oh poo poo situation.

which ain' that good. so I take my time and leave space.

(I really need to do the vented rotors and Defender calipers oh god I hate the brakes on this thiiiing)

Know that feeling. It's not easy to pull up 3500kg on mud terrains even in fantastic weather, so I always leave a gap that's bigger than most. Perfect for some dickhead in a normal car to pull into and wonder why the 4wd behind them has come to a smoking stop slightly sideways onto the median strip.

My father ran over an MG in a ford blitz many many years ago from someone pulling in front of him and stopping. Gave the bloke in the MG a love tap on the back of the head with the bumper.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

xzzy posted:

I'm pretty sure even the best driver in the world has turned the key at least once with the car in gear. :colbert:

(if not, I guess that makes me a cretin)

That proved fatal for Malcolm Douglas, He was a croc hunter and Documentary maker in Australia. Opened the door, leant into his 4wd, flicked the starter, didnt realise it was in gear and the car took off over the handbrake and side swiped a tree, crushing him between the door and the bodywork.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Seriously what the gently caress is it with you guys and running red lights? I know- 10x the population of Australia so its statistically more likely to occur but every one of those car crash videos ive seen has people just blatently ignoring red lights. That just doesnt happen here in Australia- Red lights mean stop and people drat well stop! :psyduck:

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

One consolation prize is down around warnambool the next thing she side swipes whilst texting and driving might be a log truck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Saw a new benchmark for stupid on the way home. iPhone, In cradle stuck to the windscreen just to the side of the instruments

Facetime...

I went the other way in a hurry