Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

G-Mach posted:

I used to drive box truck for work (Isuzu NPR) and we were instructed to never react to someone waiving us through a intersection or to waive someone through as well. Way to much liability.

When you drive around with over 500+ pounds of dry fertilizer and 700 gallons of herbicide/pesticide and liquid fertilizer you become paranoid as hell.

I'll give cars (and especially trucks) all the space they need to merge or pull out into stop-and-go traffic and so on, but I'll never ever actively wave them through or otherwise signal.

The liability is simply too great, and it's illegal for anyone but the police or the Home Guard (National Guard equivalent) to direct traffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrYenko posted:

I have a friend who was a police officer, and is now a highway patrol reservist, and he echoes every other cop I've ever asked: The officer is choosing to light you up there, and that's his decision. Do not keep going to get under an overpass if it's raining, or to a more attractive piece of shoulder, that's HIS call. If he wants to stay dry, or doesn't like the idea of stopping where you are, he'll just pace you until he's happy with the location, and light you up after that. Just smoothly, and safely pull the car over, and do everything kastein says above. Do NOT go looking for your wallet or registration.

The cop who pulled me over for speeding on my motorcycle just pulled up beside me at the lights, flashed his badge and told me to pull over after crossing the intersection. I asked if I should go straight to the train station, he pointed to a nice piece of flat shoulder on the road to our left and he said "over there is fine".

Piece of cake (apart from the ~$900 ticker and probational suspension).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Kidney Stone posted:

Like, how loving fast did you go? must have done more than 50% over the limit?

It was for crossing a double line during overtaking and doing 120kph on a 80kph road, not at the same time, though.

$900 ticket and I had to retake both the theory test and the practical test, another $700 or so.

Yeah, I'm one of the people you share a road with (I don't speed anymore, obviously).

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Clearly the solution to this is for people to wear open-back headphones instead of ear-buds. They don't block out any surrounding sound, plus they sound better to boot.

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Lightweight-Collapsible/dp/B000089GN3

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. Such nuances as "headphones are illegal in cars if they inhibit your ability to hear sounds around you" are somewhat lost on lawmakers.

Actually, people should just use the PX-100s or the PX-100 IIs, period. They easily outperform headphones costing five to ten times as much, and they take a beating.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrOnBicycle posted:

Sweden. The driving part of the exam consists of 4 areas where you have to show knowledge.
- Vehicle knowledge and maneuvering
- Economical driving
- Knowledge about traffic rules and signs.
- How you plan ahead and behave in traffic.

The examiner will take all of these into consideration when deciding if you pass or not.

If you drive perfectly but are a bit heavy on the foot, you'll probably pass. But if you routinely come up to red lights not engine braking and at high speeds only to brake hard, you'll probably fail since it's not just bad for the eco part, but also for the planning ahead and behavior part. The examiner also goes a lot by how it felt. If they felt at ease, you'll probably pass, which probably means that you did alright. They do consider people being nervous about the test, driving a car you are not used to and so on. Unless they suck, that is.

It's the same in Denmark, pass/fail on its most basic level is decided on applied knowledge of traffic laws, but you also have to display that you are smoothly and confidently in control of your vehicle at all times, and that you know how to look ahead and anticipate traffic conditions. New and nervous drivers are of course given a bit of leeway, but they can be pretty harsh on anyone who has to retake the test.

I aced my driving test when I had to retake it, obviously :smug: The examiner even said so, he had absolutely no remarks at all. So it's not like the test is impossible, but it is difficult.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Some massive rear end in a top hat cut right in front of me on the motorway today, so I flashed my high beams at him while I braked. He retaliated by brake-checking me :catstare:

WTF, man?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get 30" low-profile winter tires?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The beetle is by far not the most disturbing car in that video.

That poor 2CV :gonk:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Snowdens Secret posted:

I still don't get why he had all those mattresses at the zoo.

The lion sleeps very comfortably tonight.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

QuarkMartial posted:

I always hold the brake down when starting. I was taught that way, "in case the car jumped into gear," and never really stopped doing it.

Same here, I always put the car in neutral and push in the clutch when starting.

My reasoning is that it saves the starter from having to spin the gearbox in neutral, as well as preventing any sort of lurching forwards into the car in front.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tide posted:

Wait what? This has never occurred to me as being a thing.

It's probably completely irrelevant unless it's really loving cold out and/or your starter or battery is marginal.

An old crusty mechanic told me to do it years ago and it just became a habit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It looks to me like there are two right turn lanes there, or was she turning right from a straight ahead lane?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rscott posted:

Yes there are two right turn lanes but they merge into the two left turn lanes that STR is on, we have a bunch of frontage roads for the highway that runs through the center of town that are set up the same way and people do the same loving poo poo.

I watched it in 1080p, and I'm 99% sure STR had a protected left turn arrow. So yeah, total dickbag move.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

EbolaIvory posted:

I hate you so much for linking that. I need to go to bed but theres 120 more videos to watch!

I watched the first one, and so far my conclusion is that people in Russia just don't give a poo poo about other people.

For instance, the driver of the Range Rover stopped in the middle of the street because he had to get out and chat with someone he knew. Sure, just throw your car right in the middle of the street with the flashers on and get out to have a chat. And then he gets all incredulous when they ask him to move his car because he's blocking traffic.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SFH1989 posted:

Are stop lights that go in reverse, like a drag racing Christmas tree, common in other countries? I though it was a neat idea.

Yeah, they're the standard type in Europe, they go green->yellow->red and red->red+yellow->green.

Makes it very easy to see if you should brake for a light that's turning red, or just release the gas a bit for a light that's turning green.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crotch Fruit posted:

I'm not a big fan of the idea of red + amber simply because I think there are enough drivers out there who already treat stop lights like a drag race tree light.

Yeah, a lot of people actually start going on the yellow, right before it changes to green. Luckily, the red overlap is usually pretty long, so it works out.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's always worked perfectly well for me. I just start matching my speed to the other lane and slide right in shortly before the merge point.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Terrible Robot posted:

Yeah but don't you live in a magical European fairy-tale land where people actually have to know something about driving before being given a license?

You wouldn't know it from watching people drive, I can assure you of that.

If driving in Denmark had a band name, it would be "Me First and The Gimme Gimmes".

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 14, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I nearly ran over a kid yesterday. I was turning right at an intersection and a couple was crossing from the opposite side. They were walking at a leisurely pace, so there was plenty of time for me to complete my turn. But then their little kid (4-5 years old maybe) came running out from behind them. Luckily, I missed her by maybe half a metre or so.

They got really pissed off and started yelling and screaming bloody murder at me for nearly hitting their kid.

Goddammit people, your kids are your responsibility. Teach them some goddamn traffic manners and hold their hand while crossing the road.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 25, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Pedestrians obviously have the right of way in crosswalks here, but you only have to yield to them if it's actually necessary to yield. For instance, if a pedestrian is all the way on the other side of a wide road and only just starting to cross and you're relatively close to the crosswalk, you don't have to stop. The reasoning is that stopping would interfere more with traffic behind you, for no actual benefit to the pedestrian.

In this case, the road was reasonably wide and they were walking slowly, so I had plenty of time to make my right turn, if it hadn't been for their kid suddenly starting to run.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Looking at that video, there was plenty of space to pull over to the right.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crotch Fruit posted:

As an added bonus, south of the intersection the same lovely dual turn lane continues (but it's unmarked, so NOBODY uses it) there is a special intersection. At 32nd and Rock Road, It's not a 4 way, when exiting the subway to the west of the intersection, there is no signal. . . That means everyone who is trying to follow the rules gets the added fun of watching someone tear out of the subway parking lot as soon as your light turns green.

There's the exact same situation on my commute, a parking lot exit right into a three-way intersection. I've seen more dicey situations there than anywhere else in the entire Copenhagen area.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Whoever wrote this note is my hero.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Karma in action :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What are the rules for emergency vehicles in the relevant US state?

Because around here, an emergency vehicle will be 100% at fault if they're involved in an accident while they're crossing an intersection in a manner that is not normally legal, or in any other situation where they're operating outside of normal traffic laws.

They are disturbing the normal flow of traffic and are responsible for ensuring that they do so as safely as possible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

You did the right thing, both for her safety and for everyone else's safety, as well.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This morning, I was nearly hit head on by a moron who swerved into my lane to avoid a truck parked on his side of the road. He just swerved right across the double lines straight at me without even slowing down :wtf:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrLonghair posted:

Many of your uncaged kind have taken to wearing those "visible from several Scandinavian miles away" vests to get an easier time in our traffic, might be something for you to consider.

I was driving the car when it happened. It's silver and my bike is bright loving orange, so I think I'm actually more visible on the bike even without a vest.

Then again, when you're on a bike, car drivers seem to think it's perfectly OK to just steal 50-75% of your lane whenever they feel like it. Cagers :argh:

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 16, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MrLonghair posted:

What the making GBS threads poo poo :psyduck:

Do your police nab several drivers on drugs without licenses daily even in smaller cities, too?

Some people just don't give a poo poo. It pretty much goes "there's an obstacle in my way, I need to drive around it", and then they just do it without considering their impact on traffic or whether what they're doing is actually legal. Obviously the truck was parked illegally, but that doesn't change the other traffic laws.

Actually, I bet his thought process was "If I just swerve around this parked truck, that dude will swerve into the bus lane and give me space". No loving way, you fucker :argh:

It happens a lot at bus stops too, but in this case it was particularly bad due to the narrow road and the double lines. It's like people would rather swerve wildly than actually use their brakes, it's ridiculous.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Today, I watched a guy park way too close to another car in an otherwise empty lot, and slam his door right into it as he was getting out :psyduck:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alleric posted:

People being ego-maniacal idiots in traffic.

Get a dashcam. If nothing else, it will allow you to share these kinds of situations with us in glorious HD, and perhaps it'll come in handy in an accident some day.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They tried the spikes on a couple off-ramps here as a test. They were supposed to fold down when driven over the correct way, but it all got hosed up during the winter and people got their tires slashed as they were coming off the motorway. Not exactly a rousing success.

I've only met a wrong-way driver once. It was pretty dark out, and I could see a set of headlights in the distance that definitely seemed like they were in the wrong location compared to traffic going the other way. Then, all the cars in front of me started moving to the left lane.

This made sense a few seconds later, as a white van came barrelling down the emergency lane, with a police car in hot pursuit. I was going ~110kph, and estimating from our closing speed, he was doing at least 150kph. Proper scary, that was.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I had a similar situation happen to me the other day. I was overtaking a semi while simultaneously being overtaken by another car to my left. Suddenly the truck driver decides that he wants to change lanes into the lane I'm currently occupying, since the rightmost two lanes split off to the north, and the remaining three lanes continue east.

Cue me laying on my horn while jamming the brakes so I could dash behind the car that was overtaking me. Then, when I got ahead of the truck again, he laid on his air-horn and the highbeams, as if I had done something wrong.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

InitialDave posted:

The driver already on the road has right of way

Unless specifically indicated otherwise (eg. a yield line or sign), the on-ramp is part of the motorway. This makes it a merge, and zipper merging is the most efficient way to handle traffic coming onto the motorway. The road markings also signal this, with no lines between the lane and the on-ramp. I know there are a lot of different interpretations on this, but this is what I was told by my driving instructor, and confirmed by the police officer overseeing my practical test.

Most of the time, the zipper merge works perfectly well, until you get a dumbass who is either completely unable to match speed, or dead set on racing everybody on the road.

If there are dashed lines between the two lanes at the merge point, obviously the merging traffic has to yield.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Here, it's specified that cars merging from the on-ramp must adjust their speed to match the traffic already on the motorway, but traffic on the motorway must also adjust their speed to let in cars from the on-ramp, if necessary.

Without studying the traffic laws of the UK and US in detail, I'm fairly sure that's the general rule with you guys, too.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:psyduck:

I wonder what kind of excuse that shitstain had for the nice police officer afterwards.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

One of the major streets near my apartment has roadworks going on right now, to put in a bus terminal and some other random poo poo. The end result is that one of the two outgoing lanes is blocked every morning. Normally this isn't a problem, most people pile up in the non-closing lane like cattle, while the rest of us smart drivers zipper merge at the closure. There's a lighted intersection right past the lane closure, which kinda keeps everything regulated, I guess people figure that if they have to start from a dead stop anyway, they might as well let a guy in before going.

So yeah, it generally works out OK.

Today, some monster dumbcock shitlord in an box truck decided that he was sheriff of this here road dammit, and perfectly straddled the line between the lanes, to block people from passing him. This hosed up traffic all the way back to the previous intersection, loving up traffic for several hundred cars. All because it would hurt his fragile macho ego if someone were to merge in front of him.

It just pisses me off to no end when people deliberately gently caress up traffic for no reason at all.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rabble posted:

I go the speed limit because I can't afford and don't want another traffic ticket. But I am more than happy not to be in the left lane and to let people pass because I'm not a self important dick.

I feel pretty much the same way, 10kph over is my absolute limit, I will not go any faster. I've already had to retake my license once, and I sure as hell don't want to do it again.

But I'm not going to stop other people from speeding (and potentially getting tickets).

E: vvvv One of the benefits of driving a silver sedan.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 27, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I heard a good one today about zipper merging: "Remember, it only takes one dick to stop a zipper."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

mungtor posted:

The part that always confuses me is that they slow to a crawl for the drop - which is nothing. But then they slam into the lip where the torn-up section stops at 80 mph without a care in the world. And they'll do it that way over and over again.

Some massive middle-aged wannabro douchebag in my neighborhood drives a huge-rear end Dodge Ram with SRT-10 badging. It's definitely not an SRT-10, because it's got the stock body, stock hood, no tonneau cover and so on. In the context of a European city, it's absolutely the most ridiculously stupid thing on the road.

This morning, I saw him slow down to ~10kph for several speed bumps :psyduck:

I can drive over those particular bumps at ~30kph in my sedan, no problem (more like 60kph on my bike amirite).