Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Just got home from going to the gas station, about a block from my driveway I flashed some ricer shithead with retrofit 12,000K HIDs in his stock headlights with my highbeams. He pulled a u-turn and came ripping up behind me with his highbeams on and followed me down my driveway (which is about 200' long) and started screaming at me about flashing him with my highbeams.

His answer to "you're blinding everyone with your lovely, illegal retrofit HIDs" was "they're not illegal, they're aimed lower than the lights on your car!" and started getting out of his car. I should also note that my neighbor is having a party in their backyard, and at this point there was probably two dozen or more people watching the altercation. I told him to GTFO(ff) my property or I was going to call the cops and if he'd like to take it up with them, given the small crowd assembled next door just witnessed the whole thing. Needless to say he closed his door and dumped his clutch in reverse leaving a nice (single) tire track on my driveway.

The stupidity of ricers never ceases to amaze me. Who the gently caress not only chases someone down for flashing their highbeams, but then proceeds to follow someone onto private property to defend their early-2000s Kia's honor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jonny 290 posted:

Are rear fogs really that vicious? Was thinking of hooking mine up.

Try getting stuck behind a car that has one on for about five miles. Its like the brake lights being on constantly.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Every car I've driven with factory fogs (except for the one I own now) don't let you run the fogs without the low beams (but they do switch off with the high beams).

FWIW most cars sold in the US don't have real foglights anyways, they have auxiliary driving lights. A proper foglight is supposed to light the immediate area in front of the car with a low wedge of light intended to only illuminate the lane marker lines. Most "foglights" on cars in the US are just baby headlights mounted low on the car.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Snowdens Secret posted:

That being said, if you run daytime running lights, you're endangering motorcyclists. The whole point of bikes running lights in the day is so that car drivers give them the extra attention they need (because they're smaller). When cars run DRLs, it desensitizes drivers, and further tends to make them think oncoming bikes are just cars with a light out.

Yeah I'll get right on that, considering my DD is a late model GM and the DRL function is hardwired into the computer. While I'm at it, do you just want to outright ban all vehicles with more than three wheels from the road entirely? Because it really seems like anything you do in a car besides sitting in your driveway with the engine off is "endangering motorcyclists."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Galler posted:

Also, how loving dumb do you have to be to try and make a 2 ton vehicle rear end your motorcycle.

Its only dumb if you believe that motorcyclists are in any way responsible for their own safety. If a motorcycle cuts you off and brakes checks you, and your 2 ton vehicle is unable to stop faster than a <500 lb bike its all your fault for not being aware of the motorcycle!

Giblet Plus! posted:

The SUV driver was clearly impatient because his "right" to have the road all to himself was being impaired by the mass of bikers.

So if an angry mob of motorcyclists forced you to stop in the middle of a highway you'd just sit there and let them do whatever they want? At what point would you justify breaking out of the mob and running? When they're dragging you and your family out of the car to educate you on :airquote: motorcycle awareness :airquote:?

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Oct 1, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Bang Me Please posted:

His following distance would have been constantly decreased by the riders ahead of him unless he came to a dead stop in the middle of the road.

Keep watching. At 35 seconds they do come to a complete stop and box the SUV in, with several bikers getting off of their bikes and approaching the SUV in an aggressive manner. Unless there's footage we're missing it appears that the bikers caused an accident, boxed the SUV driver in and were going to dispense some mob justice.

I ask again - at what point would any rational person justify someone who is vastly outnumbered breaking out of a mob and running?

e: Yeah, these bikers are real saints - http://abcnews.go.com/US/video-shows-motorcyclists-pull-driver-car-beat/story?id=20419705

ABCnews.com posted:

Finally, after the entire group turned off the highway and the SUV rolled to a stop, motorcyclists ran up to Range Rover and one biker, using his helmet, began smashing the windows of the vehicle, the video shows. Other bikers joined in before the video was stopped.

The bikers then assaulted the driver, according to the NYPD. The driver's wife and 2-year-old child were not harmed. The driver was taken to Columbia Medical Center, where he was treated and received stitches, police said.

[Police Commissioner Ray] Kelly said he did not expect the SUV driver to face any charges.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 1, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Giblet Plus! posted:

I would have seen them coming 1/4 mile ago in my rearview mirror, and moved to the right to let them by, maybe even with a thumbs up. I live in south side chicago and you see big groups of bikes all the time. I always give them space to do their thing.

So to be clear here - you're justifying motorcyclists causing an accident and then using it as justification to cause property damage and assault someone because (hypothetically) he didn't "give them space to do their thing"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

Really, the only thing I can say the SUV driver did that was "stupid" was to get off the highway and get caught in traffic with no exit route. But, I don't know the roads in NYC, so it may have been unavoidable.

It says in the news article above that when they initially stopped the SUV one of the bikers slashed a tire. Probably wasn't possible to maintain highway speed with a flat and disintegrating tire, I'd guess he was trying to make it to a well-populated area to ensure there'd be witnesses.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

este posted:

That's the issue I have with my wife - no matter how many times I patiently explain that a turn signal is an indication of intent, she always uses it as a "Status: I am merging" indicator.

I'm curious - do you usually wait for some indication of "OK, merge" from the next car back in the lane you're intending to change into? In my experience there are far too many "this is a race! I'M WINNING GODDAMNIT!!!" and/or "I'm the rightful owner of this highway, GET OUT OF MAH LANES!" drivers on the road to put your blinker on to signal your intention and politely wait from permission. It seems that even when I change lanes in front of someone several carlengths back they still take offense and immediately plant themselves two inches off my rear bumper.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

jammyozzy posted:

It's SOP on British motorways to blink the hazards if traffic is coming to a stop, just to highlight the difference between "we're slowing a bit" and "we're actually stopping right now slow down jackass".

I live in the US and I do this on a routine basis. I figure even if the person behind me doesn't understand why I just flashed my hazards for a few seconds at least it might get their attention more than just my brake lights coming on.

Is this a law in the UK, or more of something that everyone gets taught in driver's ed because its a really good idea?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

6) Using it as a break-down lane and/or standing to read your google map directions

I'd rather see a broken-down car in a center turning lane than a normal traffic lane (gently caress the google maps person though.)

e:

I don't think I've ever experienced someone using the shoulder to merge, every time I see something like that happening its "I'm using the shoulder as my own personal shortcut past all of this stopped/slow traffic to the next exit, three miles ahead."

VV

Geoj fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 7, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jared592 posted:

In South Philly, there's places (such as South Broad) where people literally park in these, and the PPA seems to leave them alone.

I spent a week in Philly a few years ago for work and that was so common I figured that's what the center lanes were for.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Or they could just put in a light and regulate the intersection with that in mind. It sounds to me like some people found a handy way to help alleviate some of the congestion and the nimbys are getting up in arms about it.

A traffic light would make matters worse - you'd end up with 2-3 cars routinely stuck in the intersection after the light turns red with nowhere to go.

I'd probably be a bit pissed too if people using an offramp/onramp as an extra lane were adding an extra 5-10 minutes to my commute just to enter or exit the highway. Not to mention traffic merging back with the highway at the end probably makes things worse overall since nobody knows how to merge with traffic.

e: here's the interchange in question: http://goo.gl/maps/kEV5n

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 9, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NOTinuyasha posted:

This is what I bought and this is what the video looks like for anyone curious.

How does it do at night?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

YF19pilot posted:

For you Canton/Massillon area goons, I was on 21 at Cherry, with Lake as my turn off.

Haven't been down there in a while - do they still have all the lights timed so they turn red just as you reach the next intersection? I hated that stretch of 21 every time I had to work at Wal-Mart at the shopping center just before US 30.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

spog posted:

However, my cigarette lighter socket is taken up with the satnav and I really dislike those huge 2-1 adaptors so I keep putting it off until I can work out how to do it nicely. I've been thinking about breaking open the plug and hardwiring it into the loom somewhere - but I never get beyond thinking about it.

Get one of these, find a fuse that turns on and off with the key and use it to wire up a cigarette lighter socket.

Bury everything under the dash and run the dashcam's charger wire through a panel gap somewhere on the dashboard and everything is kept out of sight.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

drgitlin posted:

Growing up in London one of our neighbors was a leading urologist who regularly put away 1.5-2 bottles of wine a night and would often get called on in the middle of the night and would drive to the hospital and operate. By that point it was probably more normal for him than working sober. :eek:

Not sure if things work the same way over there, but law enforcement in the US has something of an understanding with medical professionals; you never ticket someone who might some day work on you after being shot/stabbed (etc.) Doctors and nurses pretty much have a "get out of jail free card" as long as they're not caught doing 60 while chugging a bottle of everclear in the wrong lane, in a school zone.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Frankenstein posted:

It claims it's HD, which technically it is (1280x720), but it's a wide angle lens so looks like a movie it does not. Also, it captures at 24fps and not the claimed 30.

I don't really understand the obsession with :spergin: "Its not true HD because it doesn't capture 30 fps" or "it's 1280 x 960." As long as it has a high enough resolution that you can clearly make out details on a normal TV or computer monitor and license plates are legible you're fine - it's not like your accident footage that proves the guy who cut you off is a lying sack of poo poo is would have won an academy award, if only it had been shot in true HD.

The dashcam review site posted earlier is full of that.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Opensourcepirate posted:

So the lesson to learn there is that if someone runs a stop sign in front of you, you're likely better off smashing into them than you are trying to avoid a collision. It makes the fault easy to assign, but I think it's a sad lesson.

You're pretty much hosed in that situation too, if my experience is anything to go off of. I was involved in two fender benders in the summer of 2010; one guy tried to pass me on a shoulder and ran out of room and hit me instead of the guardrail and the other changed into my lane without looking or signaling. Both times the other party claimed I caused the accident and the responding officer said they couldn't rule fault so it was a "no-fault" accident.

If I still drove as much for work as I used to I'd be buying a dash cam (and even with the fraction I do now I'm still considering it.) Unless you catch it on camera all bets are off, and I guess if you are at fault just lie your rear end off and at least you won't get cited and your rates won't go up as much since your insurer will only be covering the damages to your vehicle.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrOnBicycle posted:

^^^^ How the gently caress is that a no-fault accident? Isn't it illegal to pass using the shoulder?

It is, but not when the guy passing on the shoulder proceeds to drive two miles down the highway before stopping and then lies to the cop about what happened, and the cop doesn't want to stick his neck out and rule on who was at fault.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Do the "baby on board" placards activate some kind of self-important entitled road rage mode when you put them on? I just had some woman in her mid-20s start brake checking the gently caress out of me while following at around two car lengths around a long turning interchange that averages maybe 30 MPH. She was doing the whole "brake-brake-stop-speed off repeat" act for over a quarter mile until we merged with the other highway and I was able to get around her.

She then proceeded to park herself a foot behind my rear bumper and stayed there for the next three miles on the highway plus the mile and a half I covered on surface roads. She jumped out of her car to accost me when I was dropping my wife off at work, screaming that I was trying to murder her newborn baby and driving like an rear end in a top hat, etc.

Never mind that before she started trying to cause an accident I was following at a safe distance for conditions. Time to buy a dashcam...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

trouser chili posted:

Man, you guys make me want a dash cam so hard. Now that I've got a car with working door locks, I think I'm going to make this a reality. I've seen a few that are integrated rear-view mirrors. Basically they just replace the rear-view you already have. Anyone know if they're any good? My Sportwagen rearview mirror is nothing special, just a piece of glass, so I don't mind dumping it.

My only problem with those is they basically clip on top of your existing mirror rather than replace it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

some texas redneck posted:

Actually now that I'm digging around a bit on the legality, some states require everyone involved in a conversation to know that audio recording is happening.

So if you, say, get pulled over in a two party consent state, and leave it recording.. with audio... you could be in some legal trouble. There's apparently been a lot of people arrested for this.

Some states have laws making recording a police officer in any capacity illegal, usually qualifying it as "interfering with police business."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

MrYenko posted:

Are there any dash cams that work like an airplane CVR, and record on a loop, or do I have to fiddle with the damned thing to delete data periodically?

I'm pretty sure most of the chinese e-bay units do this by default or have a setting to record and then roll over the oldest footage once the media fills up. Also units that have g-sensors and/or an accident button can save footage in a write-protect status until you manually remove it from the card.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

I pass snow plows all the time. But I might be partially insane, having grown up within a couple hundred miles of the arctic circle.

Seconding this, I live in the snow belt of NE Ohio and use seasonal tires. Aside from levels of snow that render the road impassable for anything other than a lifted 4x4 I'd rather pass the plow truck than follow in its wake for miles, getting pelted by rock salt the whole time.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
Yeah, that's about 10 minutes from where I live...always a bit of pucker factor going through it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I've been in Ohio for 3 years now, and I've come to the realization that between Stark, Tuscarawas and Coshocton counties, people in this state can't drive for poo poo on a multi-lane highway.

Want to ride 10 miles under the speed limit in the left hand lane? Check.
Want to ride in someone's blind spot for miles on end without speeding up or slowing down? Check.
Want to pass in the right hand lane? Check.
Want to sit in the blind spot of a truck when it's trapped in the left hand lane? Check.
Want to not move over for miles on end when someone comes up on you like a bat out of hell? Why the gently caress not!

Add to that "OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE poo poo FALLING FROM THE SKY AND SOMETIMES STICKING TO THE ROAD?!? IT DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YEAR! I'M GOING TO DRIVE 30 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT TO BE SAFE!!! :derp:"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

BraveUlysses posted:

Passing on the right is legal here in WA :smug:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Not because of the police, because the town is full of privileged yuppies that blaze down 30 mph neighborhood roads at 50 in whatever luxury suv is popular this year.

This is pretty much the street I live on (the "50+ MPH in a 25" part. ") My house is about three blocks from the nearest major intersection with a traffic signal, and pretty much every time I leave or return someone inevitably rides my rear end until we get to the light or I pull into my driveway.

I'm not sure who's worse - the people tailgating me when we're pulling up to a light that just turned red or the assholes who have actually tried to follow me into my driveway (presumably to bitch me out for daring to go the speedlimit) and then become even more enraged when I stop in the approach and they're stuck blocking both lanes.

Local cops are loving worthless too - it'll probably take a kid getting killed by someone doing 65 to force them to do their jobs.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kastein posted:

:downs: YAY FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON :downs:

Words cannot express the... murderous loathing I have for the 4 brazillion chicken littles that hosed up my commute and turned it into a 2.5 hour shitshow.

You mouthbreathing inbred mother fuckers, the snow wasn't even sticking to the road. And massdot was salting the gently caress out of everything anyways. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE RAIN THAT LOOKS PRETTY. :tizzy:

FogHelmut posted:

Haha it's 40 degrees out and the snow is melting before it hits the windshield, but gently caress that, I'm gonna crash into everything.

Quoting myself from earlier ITT:

Geoj posted:

"OH MY GOD WHAT IS THIS WHITE poo poo FALLING FROM THE SKY AND SOMETIMES STICKING TO THE ROAD?!? IT DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YEAR! I'M GOING TO DRIVE 30 MPH UNDER THE LIMIT TO BE SAFE!!! :derp:"

Every. Goddamn. Year. Without fail.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Out of control bus at 3:15 :stonklol:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
:ughh: goons defending tailgating ITT.

I don't know if there's a term for it, but when I encounter an aggressive tailgater I usually just give my brakes a gentle tap and slowly decrease speed by 5-10 MPH over a span of 3-5 seconds. It sends the "hey douchebag you're following too close/back off" without the accident-causing properties of a put your foot through the floor crash stop brake check.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cakefool posted:

Then he speeds off and I lose him. I get into work and pull the card from my camera, fully intending to report the fucker with evidence.

Card is corrupt. The camera thinks it's okay and writes happily, no pc reads it. I slap in a spare 2gb card and that records and plays back okay so I think that card is no good. Back to Amazon with you.

Honestly unless you're reporting this to the most underworked police department in the state I seriously doubt they'd do anything with it. Too much effort to cite the guy after the fact, even if you've basically gift-wrapped a dead-to-rights traffic citation and left it on their desk.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Samu posted:

The worst people on the roads are truckers who use their phones while driving. I was doing a run from Edmonton to Wainwright and back to pick up some equipment in a tractor trailer, riding with a trucker so I could load up and help chain down our kit. At one point this fucker is doing 80 in a 60 through a small town while staring at his phone. I've never lost my poo poo like that on someone before but that's just plain pants on head retarded. You're driving a huge vehicle with a ton of weight behind it and a huge stopping distance on the skating rink that is HWY 16, and you decide to check your facebook. gently caress you.

I'll do you one better - sometime around 2006 I was driving at night on I-80 near toledo and passed a trucker that was having trouble keeping it in one lane. As I passed the cab I looked up and the driver had the dome light on, reading what appeared to be a college textbook balanced on the steering wheel.

Say what you will about texting and driving, at least that can theoretically be accomplished with one hand.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
More adventures on the street I live on -

Had some kid in a Cobalt decide that doing 30 in a 25 (while following the next car in line at about a car length) wasn't fast enough make several attempts to pass me, and couldn't because I either blocked him or oncoming traffic forced him to dodge back behind me. Kept pulling this poo poo for over a half mile until traffic stopped at a red light, at which point he tried to get around me just as I came to a stop behind the next car in line, and ended up blocking traffic in the opposing lane for a full light cycle after he exited his car and stood next to my driver's side door raging at me.

Fun fact: people having a full-on road rage melt down completely lose their poo poo when the target of their rage lays on the horn to drown out whatever bullshit they have to spew. All it got him was being an additional five cars behind me at the expense of making a total rear end of himself in front of no fewer than 20 people.

I REALLY need to get a dash cam :argh:

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 4, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Krakkles posted:

He walks back, and proceeds to tell me to "slow down" because his "precious little baby" is in the back seat of his car (he's sure to point out her head in the back window) and my "speeding" is making her unsafe. I tell him to go get back in his car, he says a couple more times "Slow down", I don't respond other than to say "Get back in your car".

I don't get this. What was his endgame here? If he goes at all physical, I push his car, with his retarded crotchspawn in it, out of my way and drive away. Oh, not to mention the 4D maglite that was already in my left hand (below the door line, I wasn't going to start anything) or the knife that was just below the shifter my right hand is resting on.

And no, before some Gibbis moron comes in here, I was not doing anything unsafe. He was weaving between lanes and failing to signal, I was obeying the speed limit and was not being anywhere near "aggressive".

Edit: Oh, the best part: Of course when the light turns green, he sits on his brakes for awhile, then sloooooowly creeps into the intersection. ... Then realizes he needs to be two lanes to the left (turning left under the freeway), cuts off both lanes without signaling, and gets me and several other cars honking. Yep. I'm the problem here.

People with children in their car are quite possibly the most self-important entitlement complexed douchebags on the road. Those baby on board signs are apparently licenses to drive with total disregard for your and everybody else's safety but in the end you get to blame it all on the uncaring rear end in a top hat who got in your way.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

The safest decision would have been to remain in their car until the carnage came to a stop. Airbag smoke and worries of fuel leaks tend to convince people to leave the car asap but that frame is the best thing in the area for keeping bags of meat from getting crushed.

Actually I think the desire to get out of the car is more "I don't want to be in this car when someone comes careening into it at 50+ MPH." Safest place to be would have been on the other side of the center divider.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Funzo posted:

I had a car behind me last night with yellow headlights. Is this a thing now? Is he just trying to emulate a race car or is it another dumb trend thing?

The source of this dumb trend (yes, that's what it is) is some European nations required selective yellow headlights until the European Union became a thing and passed uniform traffic codes that member states had to adhere to. In my experience its the VW/"EDM" crowd that does this the most, followed by Japanese import owners.

Honestly in terms of dumb trends the ricer/hellaflush crowd engage in this one earns a "least concern" in my book. I'd rather deal with a car with correct yellow bulbs than a horrible HID retrofit job.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 11, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
And even then, unless your parents opt to send you to a more comprehensive driver's education course what passes for driver's ed is pathetically shallow, mostly classroom instruction that is 80% scare tactics about speeding and drunk driving.

I learned more about driving and vehicle control going to autocross and HPDEs at a local road course than I ever did in driver's ed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

atomicthumbs posted:

The second time was when someone started to back into the side of my car from on-street perpendicular parking. Swerving to go around them counted as a dangerous maneuver.

Not terribly surprising, considering this is how the police tend to enforce traffic laws as well. They'd rather have you take a far worse hit and/or lose control completely and get severely injured or killed than attempt to avoid the accident in the first place because "the law says..."

FWIW I'm sure you would have failed the driver's test if you would have remained stationary and let them back into you.