Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

AFewBricksShy posted:

PA and Ohio are in a lovely band that gets a ton of freeze thaw cycles, so our roads are cratered pretty much every winter.

Here in Ohio our outgoing governor (Kasich) cut about $500 million in annual state funding to local governments for road maintenance starting in 2014.

As a result, most roads and highways that do not receive federal funding for upkeep have largely gone untouched (beyond filling major potholes with cold patch, or only repaving particularly egregious sections) for the past five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Previa_fun posted:

Gas taxes are regressive as gently caress tho

The fact that they're talking about anything other than cutting funding for and/or privatizing road maintenance is a win in my book.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Jesus. Semi driver stroke out?

Reports are he's claiming his brakes failed.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

FuturePastNow posted:

Which resulted in a $103,000 speeding ticket issued to, I believe, a Nokia executive.

My takeaway: Finland's justice system isn't for sale.

If that happened here it would probably result in a 5-4 SCOTUS decision that fines on a sliding scale are blatantly unconstitutional when applied to the wealthy.

e:f/b

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Use it as designed - have the Google assistant read the message to you, then dictate a response. You only have to glance at the screen as long as it takes to push the play button on the notification.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Screw gauging impairment, just make it zero tolerance.

Yeah, no way this is going to get abused.

Especially considering its currently possible to be convicted of DUI even if you blow below the legal limit - and in some particularly egregious "intent to drive" cases - just because you were inebriated and had your car keys in your pocket.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

xzzy posted:

Well then I guess we should do nothing at all, case closed.

Yeah, if you can't stop literally 100% of a bad thing you shouldn't try at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NoWake posted:

Some real investment in public transportation would help, and you can still do all of the above while making investments! Worst case scenario, you have a functioning bus system that allows the people you've taken licenses away from to travel from work/bar/home. You might even improve the lives of people who can't afford a car or who can't drive.

Also make it harder for the police to gently caress with people who are trying to do the right thing.

For instance, what good does it do to throw the book at someone an officer found sleeping in the back seat of their car, where the only "crime" they committed was having access to keys while under the influence (which you'd technically be guilty of if you got hammered at home too)? If you're not A) provably drunk and B) behind the wheel of a vehicle being driven on public roads DUI charges should not apply to you.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 5, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

NoWake posted:

I've been driving IL->OH->IL maybe a dozen times a year the last 5 years, and it never fails each time I go through, somebodys trapped in the "EZPass Only" gates. Yesterday was a twofer. I feel really bad for the dozen poor bastards stuck behind these idiots... I've learned my lesson and dive into the cash gates most of the time.

My biggest gripe with the Ohio Turnpike in this regard is a lack of car-only ez-pass gates. Run into a major toll plaza anywhere close to rush hour, and all of the ez-pass only lanes are clogged with trucks and tend to take as long to clear as the cash and ez-pass lanes.

wargames posted:

toll roads should be banned.

As a lifetime Ohio resident I've been generally pretty happy with the Ohio Turnpike and Turnpike Commission (its part of I-76, then I-80/90 through most of the state.) The state still runs it, they keep it very well maintained and tolls aren't gently caress-you expensive (I want to say traveling from end to end is something like $13 with ez-pass.)

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 18, 2019

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nm posted:

This is where trains plus park and rides come in.

And right out again once the NIMBY contingent hears about it.

The county I live in did a study. Just a study - they didn't actually make any serious moves in implementing a county-wide (and beyond) light rail system. One community that would have seen less than a mile of long-idle rail siding repurposed for light rail immediately dug their heels in and threatened to litigate the county to a standstill if they moved to a planning phase.

The project was shelved in the early 2000s and hasn't been revived since.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

Civil asset forfeiture is state theft. Seizing evidence of a crime to present at trial is just seizing evidence of a crime.

You're assuming a lot here.

An unmodified Buick Roadmaster getting swept up in a street racing sting sounds a lot like "cops rolled into a parking lot where some street racers were congregating and impounded literally every car in the lot whether they had evidence of wrongdoing or not."

Also given most states allow the police to take a cut of the proceeds of CAF it becomes increasingly difficult to determine what is civil asset forfeiture and what is "seizing evidence" when the police have a financial incentive to do one over the other. Also the evidence standards are wildly different - they don't have to prove poo poo with CAF (the onus is on the property owner to prove it wasn't obtained with the profits of or being used in the commission of a crime.)

In short, the reality we live in is not the same as the one you were taught about in civics class.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Phanatic posted:

Talk about assuming.

v0v given the track record of law enforcement in the past decade or so I'm willing to give a lot more benefit of the doubt to some guy who got his car impounded than the cops who impounded it.

We're basically at the point of "do not travel with any high-value property or sum of cash you're not willing to hand over to the police with zero expectations of getting it back" when you consider how out of control CAF has become.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Also a lot of the speed cameras in Ohio generated civil violations that were handled 100% by a privately owned company - including challenging the citation, which usually required paying half of the fine just to access the private arbitrator whose salary is paid by the company that stands to benefit if you're found guilty.

OTOH since they were civil violations the worst they could do is put a mark on your credit record if you ignore it.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

And furthermore, everyone on the internet that says they'd shoot a guy in the face if <xxx> literally means it.

Honestly, looking at the news lately this may not be too far from the truth.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

PT6A posted:

If you’re driving an unregistered car with no insurance and you cause an accident, don’t you, uh, get taken right the gently caress to jail? If not, why???

Because the car is unregistered, cannot be traced to you and you flee the scene before the authorities arrive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

They don't think they're destroying it, probably.

"What do you mean a severely twisted frame due to overloading isn't covered under the factory warranty?!?"

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Can't help but feel they're on the way back from a "load any trailer with as much derelict farm equipment as you can for $500" sale.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

People can literally run a red light in front of a police officer and not get pulled over most of the time so if you do install a light bar like that are are actually conscientious about it I doubt anyone would say anything.

I was going to say something like this based on how little effort they put into HID retrofits, but a light bar mounted externally is a lot easier to spot than to know which vehicles have OEM HIDs and which don't, or barring that, how to spot the difference.

Also since headlight specifications are USDOT regulated its harder to prove non-compliance with incorrect bulbs in an otherwise legal enclosure vs a state law or statute outright bars use of light bars.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Craptacular posted:

It doesn't really appear ambiguous to me. The guy was a violent felon, and was shooting at police.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47ONDlR9aY

Except "shooting wildly through your windshield while driving a car" is a perfect way to shoot an innocent bystander.

Then again it's not like law enforcement ever takes what lies beyond their intended target into consideration when they start magdumping.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

taqueso posted:

Let's play "drunk or old person or someone who desperately needs to speak with the manager?"

They're not mutually exclusive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

slidebite posted:

Holy poo poo :stare:

How can you be a living, breathing adult human and think this is an even remotely reasonable plan?

Some people really hate the idea of using reusable containers instead of disposable plastic bags.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Meth krokodil's a hell of a drug.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Prong Song posted:

Yeah this is due to "the gig economy" and not an irresponsible moron not keeping their 4000 lb death machine safe.

When you barely pay gig workers survival wages this is the natural outcome.

$400 for a new set of tires plus mount/balance fees, or keep the lights on and buy food for the next week?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

madeintaipei posted:

Why the gently caress are the police not doing a drat thing?

They're showing their colors and shying away from actually exposing themselves to risk. You can't just increase use of force until the coronavirus is compliant or dead so they're avoiding it altogether.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Following too close is not a prudent communication technique.

Based on my experience with passing lane hogs - high beams and turn signals aren't prudent communication techniques either. Often doing one or the other has the opposite of desired effect and causes the person to dig in and block the lane intentionally.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Horses are loving stupid, unpredictable animals. Quite why cops choose to ride them round huge crowds I'll never understand.

If mounted officers want to assault demonstrators the plausible deniability is baked right in - its not their fault the crowd spooked the horses and a bunch of people got trampled!

Just like when a police dog fails to obey its release command and mauls the gently caress out of someone, we can't hold the officer accountable for the actions of an unpredictable animal.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

Could say the same about tailgating people on a 2 lane road.

He could have gone around when he first tailgated, but just wanted to be a dick to me specifically.

That type of person would have been mad if a grandma tapped their brakes in front of them.

Agreed, these people rarely need much of a push beyond "you existed in MY universe and I was slightly inconvenienced as a result!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

sleepy.eyes posted:

Is it possible to hook up your turn signals the wrong way or something? Some guy in front of me today always indicated the opposite direction he went. Always. And he wasn't some geriatric, he looked 30s tops. No matter how many times people blew their horns when he did the opposite of what he was expected to, but he never stopped.

Could have been the result of a botched trailer pigtail install. That's really the only reason I can think of for an average car owner to hack into the factory wiring loom at a point where the wires for both lights come together.