Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Women do notice your car, but low slung 2 seater sports cars are largely a turn off. A Range Rover, on the other hand, :getin: It's a near perfect signal for "My boyfriend is both financially secure, or at least willing to invest in my lifestyle, and/or is a ASE master tech."

Source: Go ask your women friends or SOs.

I sold my hail damaged but mechanically fine Lancer Evolution a few months ago, and lets just say that I sure ended up meeting a lot of strapping young men driving slightly used M3s/G37s/S2000s at gas stations in the evenings.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Brigdh posted:

To be fair, the manufacturers are not helping. Every time I pickup my rental for business travel, I have to spend 10 minutes finding the damned headlight switch since it seems like putting it on a stalk in a standard location has become passe.

:stare: Really? You literally spend 10 minutes looking for the headlight switch on a new car? If that's true then its you, you are the guy in the op.

As an aside why should it be easy on cars for people to find stuff? Outside of a HMMWV or postal truck cars are generally not designed for random assholes on the street to jump into and immediately know how to do everything, because when you buy your car, you figure out how to do everything in the first day and the for the rest of your three year lease you know how to change the radio channel and turn on your loving headlights. It's basically a problem that only exists for magazine car reviewers.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

some texas redneck posted:

The majority of them are powered via mini USB or micro USB, so yeah, you need either a socket or some form of switched 5VDC.

I just switched out my dash cam and found out too late that my new cam uses a different amperage power supply (1500ma vs 500ma) versus my old cam. The power adaptors are both micro usb and look identical. So now my new cam won't work with the old power supply that I have already installed behind my dash and headliner and I have a big cable hanging in the middle of car like a scrub.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I don't mind these. I know how they work. People in metro Phoenix? Not so much. It's two lanes. STOP CUTTING ACROSS IT AND PUTTING ME IN PANIC MODE EVERY SINGLE DAY. Look! Google Maps even has someone doing right then and there!

I...how is this supposed to work? :ohdear:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

blk posted:

I was in Vietnam recently and wished I had documented the traffic there better. Millions of motorscooters and nobody, I mean nobody, follows any basic driving rules. Drive against traffic? Who cares. Red light? Says you. Clockwise round about? You mean anticlockwise. Paved median? Speed bump for my u-turn. Pedestrian crossing? Start/finish line. One vehicle per lane? You mean three. No passing? OK, I'll pass on the left, or the right, or the sidewalk (where I usually park). The traffic is shoulder to shoulder, mirror to mirror peds, bicycles, scooters, cars, busses and trucks.

The funny thing is, compared to Thailand (where people tend to follow the rules, there is colossal gridlock, and you are 4x more likely to die in a traffic accident than in the US) traffic keeps moving - but at 30 mph max, usually more like 10 in the city, and you're only 2.5x as likely to die as in the States.

Thailand is a much richer, more industrialized country with more cars(actually one of the biggest car-making nations in the world, on par with Canada and bigger than Britain or France) and more roads, so it wouldn't surprise me that more people die on them.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
American cars before 1973 are generally bigger than modern cars and came with engines that put out the equivalent of about 110hp SAE net and bias ply tires. What would they ticket you for, being walked by a Prius? Overpowering your non-vacuum assisted 4 wheel drum brakes?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Yes, my reaction was pretty much "uh, I'm pretty sure many Russian drivers regularly travel with Kalashnikovs in their cars, it's only a matter of ti....ah, there we go." :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You can get them as an option on Porsches.