Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I was driving from Chicago to Saginaw, MI today and hit a snow storm on the way. The amount of retards driving in a snow storm with their lights off was appalling. And it's always some fucker in a white or gray car going 20 MPH faster than they should for the road conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I seriously hate the "click the fob and it turns in the reverse lights" thing. I've slammed my brakes many, many times thinking some geriatric is going to back into my car. poo poo should be illegal. There should never be a reason for the reverse lights to be on unless you're loving in reverse gear. It's been pissing me off since I learned how to drive.

Also, Illinois has a law that if you're using your windshield-wipers, you must have your headlights on. Guess how many gray cars I've seen who don't obey that law.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I drive under the assumption that everyone on the road is actively trying to kill me.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Not really an AI story, but a big pet peeve. I've noticed that most modern security systems, like locking your car, turn on the reverse lights for like, 5 seconds. How is this legal? I've slammed on my brakes countless times because of this poo poo when looking for a parking space. If I see white lights in the back, I immediately assume "This guy is backing out, and probably not looking." There should be a law that says, "Reverse lights should only activate if the vehicle is physically in reverse gear."

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Well, I guess that technically correct.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
Saw the most useless wipers on the road the other day.

They have obviously been used, but why? Was there glass there before? Did they take out the glass, put in the metal, and put the wipers back in? Why?

Or it was made with the metal put in by the factory, and Vinny the foreman said, "This model has wipers in the back, put 'em in!"

"But, sir..."

"Just do it."

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
If timg don't work here's a link: http://imgur.com/gallery/LOEHLb2

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

FBS posted:

This week I had a two-mile backup on my normally uncongested trip to work, because of a smashed up Smart Car on the OTHER SIDE of the tollway. Not a thing wrong with any of the northbound lanes but gosh we gotta slow down and look at it

Ah, yes. The (in)famous Gapers' Delay. (Rubbernecking for the non-Chicago folk).

There are only 2 seasons in the Chicago Metropolitan Area: Winter and construction.

Also, as an honest question, does anyone else use the term "Gapers'" outside of the Chicago area? I'm genuinely curious.

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009

Dielectric posted:

I've never heard it uttered by actual people, just on the traffic reports on WGN, maybe WBEZ too.

drat, I've said it all my life because that's what they said on the radio.

Also it is pronounced GAY-pers. And holy poo poo, I never thought of the goatse connection. :lol:

And I've lived in the Chicago suburbs for most of my life, and I still don't know what the "Kennedy", "Dan Ryan", "Bishop Ford", etc expressways are. Probably because if I have to go into the city, I park my car and take Metra. gently caress Lake Shore Drive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

One Nut Wonder
Mar 17, 2009
I've seen the weigh station on I-55 in Bolingbrook, IL open. Very rarely, but it is open on occasion.

It's mostly 2 State Troopers having a chat, or a semi parked there (I'm guessing for a nap).