Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

^In my case it's pressure from above to "BUILD RELATIONSHIPS WITH CUSTOMERS", even if it's pointless and unreasonable poo poo like this. Retail employees have to suck the customer's dick no matter what, and since it's all one company that means we have to, too.

Alright sir we've got your power steering fixed, whisper quiet and it doesn't leak anymore.

"Uhhmmmmm... the front bumper... it's hanging loose..."

Well, yes, sir, it was like that when you brought it in. I saw it dragging when you pulled up.

"Nuh-uh, it was fine. It's a brand new car!"

It's a 99 Altima with 240k miles!

"Well you need to fix this, I'm a paying customer"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Preoptopus posted:

After being at the KIA shop for a month now, I have learned that Kia customers dont give a flying gently caress about running on bald tires.

Please rotate

~Sir, you have 2/32's on your fronts and I see wires on the back.

So you cant rotate?

Pffft like you didn't get that at Sears.

Speaking of, had a guy a while back wanted an alignment. Got it in the air and the suspension is a LITTLE loose.

" well can't you align it anyway? "

Sir I can grab your front tires and move the fronts an inch towards each other. Your ball oints are joints in name only at this point, and your rear trailing link has rusted off entirely. The car is extremely unsafe and there's no way we can align it without essentially a complete suspension rebuild.

"Well just do the best you can to get it close, I'm in a hurry."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kastein posted:

Me and officer Rabbit are going to stand here while you two drink the whole keg.

The Beerfest/Super Troopers crossover we've been waiting for. :allears:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

West SAAB Story posted:

What really annoys me is the number of stupid Mopar owners with the "Always On" DRLs that idiot drivers have no ideas that they can:
  • Turn them off (which seems to be getting more difficult, requiring more than a fuse pull)
  • Turn on headlights

Every 90s import owner with fake HIDs rattling around loosely like some lazy eyed bitch. gently caress them too.

Or the motherfuckers driving around with 1 low beam and the high beams on. Motherfucker I CAN SEE YOUR LAZINESS.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I once almost turned left in front of two motorcycle cops at an intersection. They were riding real close together at night, and their headlights looked like a car that was farther away.

So I guess ride staggered or in tandem in that situation?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Good, gently caress that guy.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God dammit I was backing out of a parking spot at school earlier. Couple fuckhead kids in an old POS Kia pulled up to my left (I was about to go left once I backed out) in the center of the aisle and just sits there staring at me. I stare right back, and right as I start creeping forward to give him the hint to back up and clear way for me, he loving guns it and whips in front of my truck to pull at like a 45 degree angle into both my spot and the thankfully empty one next to me. As I'm recovering from the shock of witnessing something so blatantly reckless, I look back and now he's doing like a 5-point turn to straighten out.

Dipshit, if you'd have waited like 3 loving seconds and let me out I would have been on my way, and you could have turned wide and pulled straight into the spot! I swear, it took all my self control not to turn around, park behind him and chew this dumb gently caress out for like 5 minutes about driving safety.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Das Volk posted:

I can't think of anything that screams "I think I'm more important than you" than a baby on board sign. People hated them in the 90s when they first showed up, nothing's changed about that. This is someone who thinks the world revolves around them, so no surprise. I imagine you could elicit some hilarity by declaring you're a Satanist and want to eat her baby etc.

edit: clarity

As with just about anything in life, George Carlin said it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r01qkBQClKg

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Oh god there's a really bad bridge intersection near my house, Florida SR 436 and I-4. link

When there's any kind of volume at all, the whole thing jams up. Traffic on 436 westbound gets let off the bridge but then stopped at the light for Douglas, which blocks the left-turning traffic coming from I-4 west onto 436 east. Then when their path finally clears, they whip forward onto the bridge, which has a similar situation on the other side so there's no room for them, but they're all impatient cause they had to wait so they just keep piling through the intersection regardless of space, and that blocks the traffic turning left off the bridge onto I-4, often to the point only 1 or 2 cars make it out of each turning lane onto the ramp. Add to that the fact that the middle lane coming off I-4 turns both left and right, so you occasionally get jokers turning in front of the westbound 436 traffic unexpectedly, and the whole thing's one giant clusterfuck of epic proportions - trying to get anywhere in Altamonte is a notorious no-go just because of the hassle.

Luckily they're getting ready to redo it, as seen here (page 16, it's rotated to the right). The redesigned bridge interchange should flow much better, and nixing the intersection at Douglas should be a huge improvement. Really, looking at the redesign shows how completely inadequate the current setup is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Krakkles posted:

Cube truck driver is probably paying more attention to his side mirrors because of the lack, not pointedly ignoring poo poo preserving the remnants of his night vision.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Krakkles posted:

He didn't say this was happening at night, or that he was trying to preserve his night vision, or that they had their high beams on :confused:

He literally said he does it to "... try to do so in such a manner that it's obvious I don't want to look at the person behind me."

And then further clarified that he was specifically reducing his ability to see necessary segments of the road safely.

Huh. Coulda swore he mentioned headlights, my bad.

Still, on my cars when the mirror's flipped up into "dimmer" position I can't really see poo poo out of it anyway, and I can do without my rearview a lot better than without the side mirrors. Driving my sister's car is a nightmare because her mirror adjuster doesn't work (electrical problem), so I can't readjust them for my tall rear end and I'm staring at the door panels the entire time. I could see getting rid of it temporarily, especially if you feel that having someone bearing down on you that close is a bigger distraction than not being able to see directly behind you.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Michael Scott posted:

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

In Florida we have the 10-20-life rule; automatic 10, 20 and 25-life sentences for pulling (or displaying I'm sure) a gun, discharging one, or shooting someone, respectively, during any criminal incident. So if the guy flashed his AK, even accidentally, and wound up punching the dude (assault), that's an automatic 10 year sentence, even before other considerations that could make it longer; the judge by state law cannot prescribe a sentence more lenient than that.

Of course it conflicts with Stand Your Ground, etc. Still, something to think about, as I'm sure other states have similar things.

I personally am anti-gun full stop, but even the staunchest advocates I don't think would approve of showing your hot steel to put some road rager in their place.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Atticus_1354 posted:

That reminded me of when a friend changed his trucks oil a little while back. He put drained the oil, put on a new filter and proceeded to dump almost all the new oil on his driveway via the drain hole that he forgot to put the bolt back in. I couldn't stop laughing when he called me for a ride to the store so he could buy more oil.

Free oil pan flush!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Professor Bling posted:

When I was 16 I raced a train.

Teenagers are loving ignorant.

What, like on a side road, or through a crossing? :jebstare:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fralbjabar posted:

Could be using them as free firewood too, dried out old pallets burn drat good.

As it so happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QmZ2vvCqb0

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Those are some of his first videos, circa 2007. Cameras (and youtube itself) were poo poo back then; his newer videos are a lot higher quality, but just as mad.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Geoj posted:

content:

Watched this guy park his bro truck (he ran his front/driver wheel across the island and still managed to park like that), and then he and his girlfriend were bitching on their way into the store about how "some people don't know how to park" after she had trouble getting out of the passenger side.

Well yeah man, that jeep is like... four inches closer to their side of its space than the other. It's the jeep's fault, clearly.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The Midniter posted:

What is it with people who drive with two feet in automatic cars?? I was on my way to the gym after work yesterday and following at a safe distance behind this Chrysler Cirrus, who was following the car in front of it very closely. It didn't matter whether we were going uphill, downhill, or on level ground - this car maintained its close following distance to the car in front of it, but its taillights were basically a strobe light of brake stabs.

Even though the car was maintaining its speed and I was in no danger of coming too close, it is just stressful following a car that stabs its brakes every second or so. ESPECIALLY going uphill. Who the hell learns to drive that way?? I honestly can't think of any explanation aside from two-foot driving.

My cousin's boyfriend does this and brags about it; says it gives him quicker reaction time going from accelerating to braking. :argh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

When that happens I'll wedge over and let the idiot pass into my former blocked-in spot, then get right back behind them and flash my lights at them. Turnabout is fair play. :smug:

E: Maybe that makes me the guy you share the road with, I don't really care tbh.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is this what that deleted facebook notification I saw was about? ;)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Do you think I can replace my stock horn on my Honda with a train horn? Because going from a slightly loud "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" to a shrill, piercing noise would be great.

Train horns require a compressor, but getting the horns for a big old Cadillac would have the same effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI

Those are the stock horns.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

WELL. Just had an encounter that's left me somewhere between seeing red and shaking in terror. I was driving my mom's car to fill up on gas and get a car wash. Guy was riding waaaay too close behind me (in a blacked-out TL with HIDs. Doesn't matter, just to set the mood) for like a mile. Came to a red light by the interstate with traffic backed up, as soon as the car in front of me takes off he's blowing his horn at me. I let a slight space open in front of me, and apparently this was the final straw. He whipped into an opening in the right lane, rolled his window down and starts shouting threats at me, telling me to "get out of the car if I wanna start something". I tried to tell him that he was driving too close, and he says "I was two feet behind you, that's plenty of space!" (he was way closer than that while we were stopped, that was his following distance at 45 mph.)

Then he loving jerked his wheel hard over and gunned it into my lane. I hit the brakes, but I still had to swerve into the empty turn lane to avoid him. He hung back for a second, like he was waiting for me. Eventually he sped off and got into the turn lane onto the highway, I got over and stopped at the first light, so the situation was defused, but this guy looked like he could easily have pulled a gun on me if I breathed wrong.

I've been driving a lot calmer lately just on principle, and even more so since it's my mom's brand new car, and I still get into bullshit encounters like this. gently caress people and gently caress this goddamn country.

Also, to top it off he had earbuds in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Honestly it'd be cool if they made drop-in replacement air compressors in that style. Kind of a niche market though, most people'd never need it.

Wonder how hard it would be to rig something up. I know they make belt-driven compressors, just swap an appropriate pulley and fabricate some mounting hardware and you'd be good to go it seems like.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Train horn? pfft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9KKaj26Lsw

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Elephanthead posted:

How are these cars even starting do people in the south even use antifreeze?

Antifreeze also has anti-corrosion additives and a higher boiling point than pure water, so yes, at least when new. Although to their credit, I don't know anyone down here who runs straight water in older vehicles except one ex-coworker who had a fast coolant leak (weekly refills) and didn't want to spend the money until he got it fixed.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Actually coolant has a lower boiling point than pure water. :eng101:

:confused:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Because the freezing point of pure antifreeze is only like 10 degrees below that of water! :science:

E: Technically 65% would be best, but 50-50 makes for easier math when mixing and is generally good enough unless you live in Yellowknife or some poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

You'd think Floridian infrastructure would be optimized for rain visibility, but no. The stripes don't wash away, but whenever the roads are wet their visibility goes to absolute zero, so you can't see the markings until you're drat near on top of them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

From my Facebook feed (this is in NYC):

Just take a taxi if you're that hard up for parking, poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

PT6A posted:

Why is the brake pedal on an auto different from on a manual? Why isn't there just nothing (or perhaps a dead pedal) where the clutch would go? It's not like you need the brake pedal to be twice as wide, and indeed it only motivates poor driving habits in 95% of cases.

I've definitely made the same mistake a few times, and I've been known to reach for the phantom gearshift too.

I believe the usual rationale is that, in a panic stop situation, you can use both feet to apply maximum stopping force; whereas in a manual car you'd be hitting the clutch in such a situation. I imagine it's a holdover from before power brakes, since with them you can easily lock the wheels on most cars with just one foot (ABS notwithstanding), but there it is.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Snowdens Secret posted:

I assumed they had something like (but probably not literally) a mercury switch or something to tell when they're level. It would be somewhat pointless to do their startup up-down sweep otherwise.

I think that just calibrates the position sensor for max and min values; a mercury switch wouldn't be sensitive enough for that application. Plus that would only let the headlights be level to gravity, rather than the chassis (if, say, it was parked on a hill).

I'm pretty sure it's just a variable-resistor sensor of some kind, like you'd see in a throttle body.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

There's an intersection near me with two left-turning lanes onto a three-lane main road. The right turn lane across the intersection that turns into the same lanes has a light-up no turn on red sign that illuminates when said left turn lanes have an arrow, because there's a gas station and shopping plaza right there and a lot of the left-turning traffic has to get over quickly. I once had a guy chase me down and scream at me at a red light because, when I was turning left into the far-left lane, he ran through that right turn and straight across all three lanes. Apparently I was the reckless one for having to slam on my brakes and go nearly into the median to avoid him and his precious Blazer.

Speaking of truck morons, just today coming from school I had a moment of idiocy. I had about a half-mile gap in front of me, and there was a truck pulling up to turn onto the road as the car in front passes. He could easily have gone, but he stayed there, apparently to pull out behind me instead. Then right as I get to him, he pulls halfway into my lane and just loving stops dead; I actually had to panic stop and swerve to avoid him. He actually flipped me off as I passed by him. :wtc:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Obligatory:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpyz7z5vpw

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

With semis, if possible I like to hang back until it's clear enough for me to get all the way past. Minimizes my time next to it and in the driver's blind spot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

UGH had a lovely little incident just now. Near me there's a road undergoing widening from 2 to 3 lanes. Right by the I-4 intersection, there's a lane shift right, then back left onto the new lanes. The left shift is through an intersection, but fairly well signed. Well, I go under the bridge with this blue Mustang next to me, we shift right, then as we approach the intersection the Mustang starts drifting right. I was waiting for him to cut left but he never did. I slammed my brakes and cut to the left as soon as I was behind him, but I still smacked a curb; not that bad in retrospect, but it felt pretty hard since I was already in panic mode. Of course he didn't stop; after determining my wheel wasn't about to fall off, I followed after him. It was plain he hadn't just failed to notice me; after I hit curb he immediately got in the left lane, then sped off. When I got visual again, I paced him doing 60 in a 45. :mad:

Anyway, he eventually slowed down, I was able to get his tag and call it in to the local police. Just... I've eaten curb hits and potholes way worse than that before, but usually it's due to my own incompetence. In his (slight) defense the roads were wet, but it wasn't exactly raining hard, and this is Florida.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ratbert90 posted:

A 1200 pound horse walking up an hill at 1 foot/second is generating 2HP :colbert:

Yeah, but they generate 600lb*ft of all-leg torque, vs about 150 2-leg lb*ft for a large-ish man. Incidentally, a 2 HP horse's powerplant only rotates at 17 RPM; although smaller and typically more fuel efficient, the man would have to sustain 70 RPM to generate the same power, which negates the economy advantage.

Plus they're biofuel-ready from the factory.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The original is both better and more AI.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Galler posted:

Depends if your department has quotas or not. If they do that's worth about 1/5th or 1/6th of your day's activity and takes all of 3 minutes to handle.

Quotas are Illegal and You Will Not Find Them In Any American Police Force, Citizen. :commissar:

Unrelated, am I a dick for strictly enforcing stop signs and the 20/25 (it varies) speed limit in my neighborhood? It seems like every day some jackass turns off the main road about 1/4 mile behind me, and by the first stop sign they're breathing down my neck, and stay there until one of us turns off.

Doesn't help that there's 5 routes into my neighborhood. They all intersect directly in front of my house, which leads to a shitload of people turning right on the corner my house is on because they're using it as a cut-through in lieu of the 35mph north-south street further east, but going the same speed. Even worse, my driveway is on the right after said turn, so I essentially have to make a wide u-turn into it, which combined with impatient dickwads behind me ignoring the stop sign means I've come within inches of being T-boned on numerous occasions.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Or the lady at the gas station today who stopped her car in the aisle between the pumps and the store, in front of the parking spots (she was blocking two of them). Got out and walked inside for something, there was an old woman in the passenger seat (I guess her mom or something).

I don't understand, you're literally inches away from 3 adjacent open spots, why would you not pull in one and instead block cars trying to drive out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ratbert90 posted:

Apparently parking lots mean that driving down the middle of the loving isle is ok.

See also: people who don't understand the concept of one-way aisles and honk at you when you come down the right way, blocking their path (you and the 10 cars behind you).

Or, people who think that parking lots give them free will to dash across aisles without looking for car/walk lazily towards the store right down the middle. And they always look at you dirty like you're driving recklessly at 1mph.

Hell, I had a guy jaywalk, basically jumped in front of me as I was turning left onto a divided road, had to stop in the lane and let him cross to the median. Then after he was clear I gunned it (to avoid the traffic from the light that was now approaching me from behind) he turned and yelled "rear end in a top hat!" Yeah, buddy, I'm the one who's endangering your law-breaking rear end.

Best part is there's a crosswalk with a dedicated light not 500 feet away but nope, this idiot's gotta go STRAIGHT home.