Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

InterceptorV8 posted:

I hate DRLs.

Because there are people so loving stupid that they never turn on their headlights now. You don't know how many people I see driving in the darkest parts of Nevada in the middle of the night with just their DRL on.

This. I commute to work at 6:20am and it's still fairly dark out. My commute (lucky me) is only 7.5mi long. Forget driving around with DRLs on, I see at least 2 or 3 cars a day driving around without any lights on. Most of these cars are silver or some kind of dark color so it makes it extra hard to see them in time on the road. It never ceases to amaze me that people think this is OK and continue to drive like that.

Today for example, I was driving in the tail end of a major thunderstorm we had last night, so it was still raining quite heavily. Sure enough, saw 3 cars without any lights on, in the dark, in the heavy rain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno, a lot of the stuff I'm seeing here is insulting people for not knowing how to change a wheel. Why the hell should everyone know that? There's AAA, a million tire shops around the country, and tires hardly ever blow out, at least in my area. A lot of cars don't come with spares and the tools for it now, some cars have run-flats. And even if you know what you're doing, it's a pain in the rear end to do it on the side of the road and requires some muscle.

See I don't get this. When owning a vehicle, you should do your best to maintain it. Even if it is just basic, simple maintenance, you should know how to do the following:

* Check your fluids (Oil, coolant, transmission fluid, etc)
* Check your tire pressure
* Check your tires for wear (penny test)
* How to use a jack
* How to change your tire
* How to jump start a battery

If you do not know how to do any of this, and have no instructions, simply take 5 minutes out of your life and youtube it. There are thousands of video tutorials showing you how.

If you only rely on AAA or what have you, what happens when you break down in an area that has no phone reception to call AAA? You're screwed if you don't know.

Also, since I spend alot of time in remote areas and in the woods, I would never buy a car that did not come with a jack and a spare tire; that's just dangerous.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 7, 2013

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
So the original poster of the video had more online that he quickly took down. But, as is the case, someone snagged them and put them on LiveLeak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

You can see them lanesplitting and driving on the sidewalk with pedestrians on it.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
After I finish moving, I'm picking this up as a dashcam for myself.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Crossposting from GBS:

Solar Coaster posted:

More news from Seattle. This time via Twitter!

full link

What probably seemed like a routine drive for a Metro bus driver down I-5 in the southbound express lanes Wednesday morning turned into anything but once it became quickly apparent the express lanes had already switched to the northbound direction.

WSDOT Traffic @wsdot_traffic
On the I-5 northbound express lanes at NE 45nd St there is a disabled vehicle blocking the left lane.
11:30 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Don't know how or why, but this bus ended up on express lanes in the wrong direction.
11:33 AM - 23 Oct 2013

The DOT noted passengers were still on the bus and police were going to do a rolling slowdown on the freeway to allow the bus to drive down the express lanes to exit rather than turn it around.

Here's the rolling slowdown in the express lanes.
11:37 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So there goes the bus.
11:40 AM - 23 Oct 2013

That is probably a pretty lonely, quiet drive.
11:40 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Only problem? The express lanes are designed not to have any exits from southbound traffic until you reach Mercer Street -- 4 miles away. So it appears the driver decided to attempt a 180 degree turn on the Ship Canal Bridge and exit at NE 42nd Street:

This spider can't believe what it's seeing.
11:41 AM - 23 Oct 2013

This is kind of an Austin Powers thing watching this bus try to turn around.
11:44 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So the bus gave up on turning around, drove off and ran into all the stopped traffic. Oh brother.
11:46 AM - 23 Oct 2013

The backup got huge on the express lanes so now they're letting traffic through before dealing with the bus. Fascinating stuff.
11:48 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Sounds like once they clear the traffic out, they're going to try to exit the bus at Mercer.
11:51 AM - 23 Oct 2013

Why can't I get the Benny Hill theme song out of my head?
11:57 AM - 23 Oct 2013

So once traffic cleared, the bus continued south toward Mercer:

There goes the bus. ...again. Let's see what happens!
11:59 AM - 23 Oct 2013

You're heard of the walk of shame? This is the drive of shame.
12:02 PM - 23 Oct 2013

There it goes, exiting off Mercer. Seriously, that's a tough situation and we're glad no one was hurt.
12:04 PM - 23 Oct 2013

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I saw that earlier today. I am still in awe that they managed to get on the express lanes in the wrong direction. Also, it looks like our other local twitter accounts are trying to keep up with Seattle Police.

I'm a Seattle native. I've never seen anyone get on the express lanes in the wrong direction. There are usually barriers and finally a net to catch vehicles right where the entrances are. This is truly spectacular.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

superdylan posted:

I support the Get A Dashcam movement. Worst case, you are out ~$60 and it never saves your bacon in court. I've had my DVR-207 for a month and I've collected the highlights from my 15 mile daily commute on the eastside of Seattle. Audio is muted so you don't hear a really obnoxious book on tape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohNYZacujMU&hd=1

Now if only I could capture the sheer volume of people driving with one hand while staring down at their phone in dense but quickly moving traffic

Hahaha, I grew up in Kenmore and for 2 years I lived at the Juanita waterfront (now I'm in Bridle Trails). I gotta say, this is pretty drat accurate. Downtown Kirkland has some of the dumbest drivers around here. So much stupid. The civic that blocked the light at that intersection? Happens Every. drat. Light. There's always a joker trying to squeeze in there.

When I get my DashCam next month, I'm hoping to capture all sorts of stupid in the Redmond area too. This is also due to the fact that Redmond's population grows by 111% between 9 - 5 each work day.

Take 148th for example. Dual carriage way with a speed limit of 40mph. Everyone crams into the left lane, leaving the right wide open. They then proceed to do 30 in the left lane.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 25, 2013

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

I think Seattle is just about the worst city for winter driving in north america.. it's rarely just snow. It's usually bookended by rain or sleet which means once it gets dark and the temperature drops, everything turns into solid ice. To cap it off, the whole area is either a hill or a cliff.

The only upside is that snow like that is pretty rare. But when it does show up the entire city is paralyzed.

The other sneaky problem is that because the snow is so wet, heavy accumulation has a habit of caving in the roofs of houses.

This, and the fact that 67% of people living in Seattle are not from here. Most come from the south like California so are not sure what to do in colder weather, or wet weather.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Michael Scott posted:

Why is this a problem? I'm not going to meticulously clear off my car after a significant snowstorm. I clear the windows, lights, license plate, that's it.

It's because if you do that; and then drive down the road at any speed; you risk the chance of having a chunk of snow fly off the roof/hood/windows off your car into the car behind you. That could cause a wreck.

Or, be considerate of others around you and clean your car so you are not a mobile hazard.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I love this. Not only because I know exactly where all this is (I grew up on Juanita Drive), but it totally shows what the EastSide Drivers are like. Glad you got most of the big hangups in Kirkland! Should film some of the bullshit around rush hour on 85th, 124th, and Lake Washington Blvd! The things I have seen....

Seriously, this video made my day knowing I'm not the only one that see's this nonsense.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
On the subject of bad parking; I present this from a few days ago:

So this guy pulled into our parking lot around 9:30am. The parking lot in and around was full. Never mind going to the giant parking garage that has free spaces in it (you can even see some on top in the back); nope, I'll just leave the car in the middle of the road.

So he did just that and me and some coworkers spent the next few hours laughing as people tried to squeeze around his van or had to back up and go all the way around.

Security came by and tried to track down the driver but couldn't be found until about 2pm that day. Basically he left his car like that for several hours.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I love driving in snow; but because so many people around my area are not from here, I fear them more than some snow and ice on ground.

Plus, if you live in area that gets snow, expect to go to work unless you cannot get out of your driveway.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
These are the people you share the road with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjgT8Af1kGc

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Geoj posted:

More adventures on the street I live on -

Had some kid in a Cobalt decide that doing 30 in a 25 (while following the next car in line at about a car length) wasn't fast enough make several attempts to pass me, and couldn't because I either blocked him or oncoming traffic forced him to dodge back behind me. Kept pulling this poo poo for over a half mile until traffic stopped at a red light, at which point he tried to get around me just as I came to a stop behind the next car in line, and ended up blocking traffic in the opposing lane for a full light cycle after he exited his car and stood next to my driver's side door raging at me.

Fun fact: people having a full-on road rage melt down completely lose their poo poo when the target of their rage lays on the horn to drown out whatever bullshit they have to spew. All it got him was being an additional five cars behind me at the expense of making a total rear end of himself in front of no fewer than 20 people.

I REALLY need to get a dash cam :argh:

I've had some similar things happen to me a few times. Even had a guy come out of his car, walk across 2 lanes over to me, bang on my window and shout at me for something I don't know what.

What I found really makes the experiences worthwhile is, like holding the horn down, just stare at the guy with a big poo poo eating grin and give him a thumbs up. They lose their minds.

Take pictures with your phone too.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Seattle is currently experiencing cold air from the Arctic, so it's colder than normal for the rest of the week. This morning, when I went to start my car at 6:00am, it was 20F out and everything was frozen. Once I got out onto the highway, I passed a late model silver Hyuandi in the center lane, doing about 45mph, in full tank commander mode. She hadn't scraped any of her windows, and she didn't even bother to turn on her rear defrost. All she had was a tiny hole towards the bottom of the windshield that she could peer through and see forward. Her mirrors were frozen and her lights were off as well.

Just amazes me how people just get in their car and go. I started my car early, got it warmed up, defrosted the windows and scraped what wouldn't defrost before I got out on the road. Can't these people take a few seconds and clear their windows so I dunno, they can see out of them?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
So it's snowing in Seattle. Everyone knows what that means!

I came into work about 2 hours late to let the roads clear up a little bit. During my wait, I watched a guy wreck outside my apartment because he thought his SUV could drive like it can when it's dry. Slammed it sideways and pretty hard into a curb.

Today was my first time driving my RWD Volvo in the snow, as well as driving stick in the snow; so I was taking it nice and easy. During my 8mi little adventure, I saw several tank commanders, including some in grey/silver cars without their lights on. Then there were the guys in the SUVs / Brotrucks that were doing 40 - 50 down city streets. One of them was riding my tail for a few miles even though I was in the right lane and the only car on the road. Why don't you get around me?

I trust myself behind the wheel in snow, but man, I almost never drive in it because of the other drivers around here are so drat stupid and impatient.

My rig this morning:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

I always try to wedge my vehicle with my passenger side against their driverside. Climb over your console you gently caress!

ding my door because youre pissed? no fucks given, rocks do it all the time.

bonus points if someone blocks their passenger side too.

I did this once when I was in a strip mall getting some incense from a smoke shop. I fit my car perfectly in my spot, but this camry was parked into my space. So I closed the gap until there was about 2" between the doors.

I start my shopping and I hear this commotion from outside. It's this morbidly obese woman who really cant even squeeze herself between the cars, let alone open her door. So she tries the passenger side. Problem is, with being nearly 350lbs, she couldn't quite get over. That and her car was full of Arbys wrappers so there was no room. So she gives up. She then proceeds to go store by store and shout at everyone there "WHO'S CAR IS PARKED HERE?!" Finally she reached the smoke shop (which was actually where she parked in front of).

:byodame: "WHO PARKED NEXT TO MY CAR?!"
:smug: "I did, how can I help you?"
:byodame: "I can't get into my car!! You blocked me in!!"
:smug: "Oh I see the confusion here; you failed to park in your spot, where as I correctly parked in mine"
:byodame: "You going to move your car so I can get in?"
:smug: "Of course not. I am have not finished taking care of all my business"
:byodame: "MOVE YOUR CAR!! YOUR BLOCKING ME IN!!"

At this point, I ignore her and go back to picking out my incense. Stick by stick. Angry bitch goes back outside, as if to try to speed things up. She starts yelling and making more of a scene outside before she storms back in.

:byodame: "MOVE YOUR CAR!!"
:smug: "When I'm done. I'm not done yet"

She starts yelling again so I calmly walk over to the shopkeep and start the purchasing process. I struck up a conversation with the shopkeeper about how great a day it is outside and if he had any plans for the upcoming weekend while Angry Bitch is losing her poo poo at the front of the shop.

I pay and wrap things up and slowly walk by the Angry Bitch and out the door. Angry Bitch follows me out, all the meantime shouting at me. When we get outside we stop and look at the two cars. I turned to her and asked her in my best "daddy voice", "Now then, what have we learned from this experience?" She didn't reply. I told her, "You could have taken an extra 10 seconds to park your car properly in this spot and avoided all this trouble. But you didn't; because you are lazy. Look what your laziness brought you. You come here, and shout at my in front other people and I don't even know who you are and I could care less who you are. You chose this, you live with the consequences."

At that point, I went ahead and opened my car door and climbed inside. Then I slowly adjusted the seat, picked a good album to listen to on my ipod, and slowly backed up. She follows the front of my car all the way up to nearly her door then I stopped. She was sooo close; she could reach the door handle!

Angry Bitch looked up at my and I rolled down my window, looked at her and said "gently caress you and people like you" and slowly drove off as she was shouting at me in the parking lot.

I haven't laughed so hard at someone being an idiot in a very long time, but this woman had it coming.

TL,DR;
Angry Bitch couldn't park, so got boxed in. Angry Bitch tried to get me to move so she could squeeze into her car, and I refused to move, in fact took my sweet time. Schadenfreude ensues.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Bovril Delight posted:

Yeah I'm going to go out on a limb and say that didn't happen how you described.

Sure did. I just got off work and had a bad day, so she got to deal with grumpy me. But hey, this is the internet so if you think it happened differently, that's fine too.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Better just give up now and find the nearest Wal-Mart or Home Depot and settle in for the night.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

EightBit posted:

I don't give a single poo poo what the speed limit is, I'm going to cruise efficiently (at 60 or less in my Jeep). It's not a loving mystery, increasing your speed increases your fuel consumption, quadratically.

You must be a Seattle driver. I can't stand people like you because around here they all insist on going 60 in left lane and box cars in that are trying to pass. I don't mind if you do 60 in the right most lane, that is fine. I do that too when my OverDrive was not working. But never never get in the left lane to go play traffic cop to slow down everyone else. You don't know what's going on in the car behind that wants to pass. I had to rush someone to the ER once and I would have gotten there sooner if I didn't have to weave about on the roads and highways due to left lane campers. gently caress them.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Driving through Kirkland yesterday along the waterfront and come across this guy on a bicycle was wobbling around in the middle of the street. Turns out he is trying to ride with his arms outstretched and no hands on the handle bars. He nearly wrecks in front of me and by this time turns around to see there is a car behind him. So he wobbles off into the bike lane. I start to speed up from 20 to 30 and pull a little into the oncoming traffic lane (it was empty) and attempt a pass. What does captain awesome do? Again he tries to ride his bike with his arms stretched out and nearly wrecks again. So I honked to let him know that 'hey dipshit, I'm right behind you in a 4,000lb brick of steel (Volvo 245)' and he nearly wiped out into the sidewalk.

These are the people I share the road with.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

Washington.jpg

Why do people in your state drive so slow in the left and center lanes?

This has been asked many times on local papers and news. Some of the responses said "speed limit is 60 so I am doing the speed limit". They literally play a passive aggressive traffic cop. And god help you when you try to pass these assholes.

They also refuse to pull over for emergency vehicles.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

Watch those stupid fuckers scream every time you mention that WA state is a "keep right except to pass state". The legal text even includes an amendment from the legislature stating in plain English that the primary intent of the left lane is for passing.

Even on this forum folks will argue that into the ground until you post the WSP video about how they ticket folks for doing that.

So true. To the people who are pro left lane campers, they never realize that they do not know what is going on in the vehicle trying to pass them. I've had to rush someone once to the hospital and it was so infuriating trying to get around those campers.

Also people can't seem to understand that also in Washington state the law is if you are holding up 5+ vehicles then by law you must pull over and let the traffic pass. In fact, there are signs on the side of the road that state this law. But because people around here are loving morons and theres so many goddamn transplants (I'm looking at you OR and CA), no one pays attention and its a free for all. Stuck behind someone? Too loving bad.

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 21, 2014

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

GramCracker posted:

So I guess this is one way to park?

Source (Translated):

http://g1.globo.com/goias/noticia/2014/07/medico-acusa-vizinho-de-bater-em-carro-dentro-de-garagem-veja-video.html

quote:

To Marcal, there is no doubt about the authorship of the damage, even more so because this was the second time the same neighbor hit his car. He believes that the only explanation is because the car was on the track that divides the vacancies. "If my car was on the track or not, I think it was a matter of coming and talking. Winching the car up, since I was not here, but do not take that attitude, "he said.

Looks like he may have parked over his line, and that was enough for him to get his car rammed a second time.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Washington state used to have really lax laws regarding secured loads. That all changed when a cinder block (I think?) Fell off a truck and struck a woman driving behind; blinding her. After the lawsuit the laws were changed.

If that happened here, there would have been a $5,000 fine at the minimum.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Seattle_Eastside_Parking.jpg

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

I agree with this but my only request would be that you can toggle them off if required, but they would reset to automatic on after you turn the car off. I can think of a few places where you might want them turned off--for instance the ferry system here in WA requests headlights off when loading to help the workers.

Speaking of WA ferries, my favorite is the idiots who set their car alarms on the ferries. Every once in a while you will get this on normal ferries, like the Kingston/Edmonds or Seattle/Bremerton route, but I always run into it with some tourists heading out to the San Juans. Soon as the ferry starts moving, the alarms go off and just keep going because the idiots are upstairs on the decks.

I always give people poo poo when they do this. loving tourists, don't you know ferries move?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I give up, this derail is dumb for the reasons I stated earlier. To get the thread back on track:

I was driving through town and was waiting at a light. To my right was a car that was obviously not turning right into the connected shopping center, but was continuing straight. Past the light, her lane turned into a right turn only lane. I knew what she was going to do, which was speed past me and cut in front of me. Normally, that would irritate the hell out of me, but today it was about 3pm and the "25MPH SCHOOL ZONE" lights were flashing, and apparently she didn't notice. The light turned green, I sped up to 25, since, you know, KIDS, but she floored it, passed me, got into my lane, and continued on going at least 45-50. At the base of the hill, after the school, a police officer with a yellow vest walked out into the street, held up his hand, and stopped her. He took her ID and made her pull off to the side while he let the rest of us continue.

It was the best day.

Agreed, this derail is stupid.

Happened something like that happen to me over the weekend.

I was driving with the girlfriend from Seattle to Pullman, to visit friends and family. Well for those who don't know the east side of the state, you have to drive through Colfax, WA to get to Pullman, either by Highway 195 or Highway 26. Let me say, Colfax is a poo poo hole and I hate driving through it. The reason it's a poo poo hole is that it's a notorious speed trap. The highway speed drops from 60mph to 25mph. And you better be doing exactly the speed, all the way until you pass each sign that raises the speed limit. The cops are bored and will go after you for anything. I know people who got pulled over for going 2+mph over.

So outside of Colfax, this old 1940s heavily modified farm truck comes blazing up behind me and passes me on the 2 lane highway. Didn't think much of it but the girl and I talked about how funny it would be if Colfax PD got them. Sure enough, driving through that poo poo hole, and there was the yellow farmtruck, on the side of the road with a cop giving the driver the riot act.

Oh the laughs we had...

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

blk posted:

These are the people(?) Russians share the road with:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnsdc7cTPuU&t=35s

Best thing I've seen today.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
I was sitting at red light on Saturday in Kirkland when I had a guy back out from across the road and back straight into my car. When I got out of the car to check the damage, I look up and see the guy driving away. Luckily I got the license plate from several witnesses. I know the road he was on was a one-way, so I got back in my car, drove around the block and caught up with him.

I flagged him down and got out of my car asking him why he thought it was OK to not only hit my car, but to drive away as well. He told me he did not see me. I asked him if he looked out his rear view mirror at all or if he noticed that I was laying on my horn when he was backing into me. He told me he didn't hear my horn. At this point I asked him for some information while I took pictures of his license plate, and car. He only provided me with a name and phone number.

I wasn't getting anywhere with this guy so I leave and go home where I then call the police to report the incident. There was very minimal damage to my car (advantage of driving a car built with steel), but I felt due process was needed. I was more pissed about the fact that he thought he could take off after hitting someone than the damage itself. If he stayed and apologized, it would have been no problem and I wouldn't be writing this post. After talking with the police, they told me they won't do anything because it was not a hit and run since I tracked down and caught the guy myself.

Very frustrating and these are the people that I share the road with.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

The Locator posted:

Wait, what? That's the loving *definition* of hit and run. Leaving the scene of a loving accident. It doesn't matter if it's you or the cops that run him down afterwards, if he leaves the scene it's a hit and run. :wtf:

Cops around here are useless. Because I wasn't driving a Ferrari in Kirkland, they don't care. It's like a few months ago, when my 2nd story apartment got shot up by a stray bullet. It ricocheted all over my living room before landing under the kitchen table. It was a big ask just to get the cops to come over and investigate it; you know, doing their supposed jobs.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

What the gently caress?

Oh yea. Woke up one morning to find a bunch of drywall on the floor of my living room. Bullet entered right above my sliding glass door; through the wall, ricocheted off the ceiling, hit the center of my bookcase, then hit the floorboard, and a chair leg before coming to rest right next to my dog's water dish. This happened when we were asleep in the next room. Cops showed up, asked a few questions, looked at the damage and told me to contact my landlord.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Driving into work today on the highway at about 5:45am, and I nearly changed lanes into another ghost car. Who thinks it's a brilliant idea to take your black car, before sunrise, and drive down the highway, in the left lane, doing 50, with no lights on? As soon as I got over, I watched in my rearview as another person nearly hit this guy.

God I hate Eastside drivers

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

My parking skills seem to have deteriorated over time; how can I best fix that?

Practice. Also, when you park, walk around and check how you parked. Close to the line? Repark. Over the line? Repark, etc. I do this alot until I am centered in my space. It only takes a second to do. Just the simple act of checking your work will get you better.

I've recently gotten my girlfriend to get into the habit of parking in backwards. Because of this, shes told me her overall parking skills improved, especially when it came to parallel parking.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Parking is hard.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

I'd still probably poo poo myself if I tried to drive a manual in Seattle or San Francisco.

Manual Seattle driver here (RWD Volvo). The problem is is that people constantly roll right up onto you on the hills, so its a dance between the clutch and gas, and holding the e brake down on the more steeper hills. Add to the fact that the roads are wet, so tires can slip more easily. I know some people who intentionally roll their cars back a tad at the beginning of a hill. Usually the person behind sees the car roll back and they give you a little more space.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

PT6A posted:

Jesus Christ, people, how do you spin your wheels so much over and over again on snow? Don't press the gas so much, or don't let out the clutch so fast, or get loving winter tires. You'd think the road was sheer ice by the way people gently caress this up, but, nope, it turns out an idiot like myself in a RWD car can handle it just fine.

The more I see, the more winter driving freaks me out. Not because I'm worried about my driving, but because I'm worried about everyone else's driving. I'm not God's gift to driving, I don't drive many miles compared to average, and I have some bad habits; everyone should be able to drive at least as well as me, frankly.

Reminds me of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Out walking the dog the other day and I was nearly taken out by an oblivious woman who was driving a corrolla. The crosswalks around here have orange flags with them that you carry from one end to another. Basically to let others know that you are crossing.

So I'm standing at this corner and across the street the cars start to stop for me. Well I cant cross yet because here comes Mrs. Herf Derf who, while looking at me waving the flag in front of her, she just blows on by at 40mph nearly taking me and my dog out. The people across the street were just as shocked as me. gently caress people, pay attention.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009
Local paper put this picture up from all the snow in Buffalo. This belongs in this thread.

Clear your drat roof before heading out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009