Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I will totally cop to leaving my parking brake on after getting my car towed but I figured it out before leaving my parking lot at least!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Astroman posted:

Well it's not like SHE ever opens that hood! Who would open their own hood, anyway? :jerkbag:

I had to show a (male) friend of mine how to open the hood on his corolla, which is his winter beater. His DD is a E46 M3. :negative:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's me. I'm the lane weaving rear end in a top hat who tailgates you constantly. Mostly because you're doing 61 MPH in the far left lane like an rear end in a top hat. I've tried flashing my lights. I've tried sticking my hand out the window/sunroof and waving at you to move over. Nothing ever works because you are loving oblivious even when you aren't on your phone or loving with your navigation system or telling your kids that you will pull this car over RIGHT THIS INSTANT IF YOU DON'T STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER BILLY I SWEAR TO loving GOD. And then when I finally see an open stretch of highway in the right lane so I can finally get around this fucktard and signal that I'm changing lanes they pick THAT loving INSTANT to decide to move over. Not the god drat mile and a half before that that they were holding up everyone behind them. So now I look like an rear end in a top hat as I'm sawing left and right on the wheel because you can't check your loving mirrors before doing anything at all.

I mean am I the only one who makes a visual circuit of their mirrors and the horizon when I'm driving? I mean I mostly do it so I'm a step ahead of any cops and I can slow down and not get pulled over it but it's pretty helpful for avoiding accidents too.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I drive a low rear end E30 and it seems like every 3rd vehicle is a lifted bro truck here in Kansas. I HATE driving at night because of this. I have lovely night vision as it is and all the lights shining directly into my eyes or worse through my back window and into my rear view mirror drives me nuts. I'm sure the glare and poo poo from all the rock chips in my wind shield aren't doing me any favors in this regard but still, god drat.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Fo3 posted:

I understand the rest, but rear vision mirrors normally have a one touch switch to adjust it so lights from behind don't bother you, and have had that feature for a long long time.
Like The_Raven said, bright rear fog lights from the car in front are a bigger issue.

Hi my car was made in 1986

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Negromancer posted:

You know that little tab on the bottom of your rear view mirror? That is what I believe he is referencing, and cars have had those since the 60's.

:psypop:

I legit did not know this

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Or the people who blink their blinker twice and then spend the next quarter mile slooooooowly changing lanes.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
That's a good way to get t-boned in large parts of the country. Green means go go go go go! and if you're the first car in line at a light and you aren't going right after that poo poo turns green you might get rear ended by the impatient person behind you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Geoj posted:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

Unless they're looking for a reason to pull you over.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Basically all roads and highways are designed with an 85th percentile speed in mind that ends up being significantly higher than what the speed limits end up being. It's not all just how much the road can handle safely though. Fuel economy, noise pollution, and road wear/maintenance are all concerns that should be taken into account as well. In the case where the majority of drivers on a road are breaking the law it seems rather asinine to set a limit that low because it encourages cops to prey upon some rather unhealthy social biases in deciding who to pull over.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

The path I take to get on the expressway every morning is outlined in blue. There's a green left arrow at that light and the red line is the path someone would take if they were on the frontage road going east and wanted to go west. There's a yield sign where the red dot is. I think I've seen exactly one car yield for left turning traffic getting on the expressway in a year of taking this route to work. Almost been run into by probably a dozen cars in the same time frame.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Deaf people are acutely aware of the fact that they can not hear anything and compensate with their other senses. Having headphones/earbuds on reduces your awareness of sounds (i.e what direction sounds are coming from) more than your stereo does because they block out outside noise more effectively than your car does, especially if they're noise canceling headphones or some of those giant beats audio headsets that are in vogue.

e: fb twice

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Man driver's ed really needs to tell people about that little switch on rear view mirrors that dims that poo poo (unless that's what you guys mean by flipping up the mirror and not like, moving the whole housing out of the line of headlights). I polled some of my friends on this a while back and only ~30% of them knew it existed. I didn't until someone here mentioned it.

e: FWIW I didn't take driver's ed and got a half assed education from a few friends

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Uh yeah, that's the point of roller coasters, to go fast! :v:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If they're lifted high enough I can actually see oncoming traffic below the bodies of their trucks :v:

Think this is foggy enough to actually turn on your headlights? Too bad half the people on my commute don't think so!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They sprayed a bunch of that mag chloride poo poo all over the roads here because some freezing rain hit this weekend. Kept the roads mostly clear from icing up but the middle lanes of overpasses and el-highways were still pretty icy because the mag chloride ran off the crest I think.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Driver's education is optional in the United States (at least everywhere I've lived) if you're over the age of 18. Show up, take a written test, you get your permit. Then after a 90 waiting period you take your road test and that's it. You're done forever as long as you don't let your license expire.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
There was one question on the Kansas DL test that is like, "what should you do in a skid situation" and I asked the proctor if the test is referring to a FWD or RWD car and she said she didn't know :psyduck:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Someone wiped out the DSLAM that services my apartment and a bunch of other poo poo around here with their car. Did a good number on it, the car ended up on top of the box and it looked like the cabling was kind of hosed up too. I don't even know how the hell they did it, the roads weren't slick, it was a single car accident at 4:30pm on a cloudy day :psyduck:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I know I drive a small white car and everything but god drat someone in a Juke tried to merge into my lane (far left lane on a 60mph expressway so about 65-70mph) when their B pillar was about even with the front of my car. For about a quarter second I was tempted to let them just hit me but going at that speed in a car w/o airbags could actually really hurt me. I don't know if I was just in one of their massive blind spots or what.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I guess the panel that holds in the rear lights in my E30 rattled loose while I was on the highway a few days ago because I lost my left rear turn signal. I started signaling out my window and I'm fairly certain not a single person behind me actually knew what I was doing.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A dozen meters is 40 feet or so, which works out to about 2 car lengths I guess? That doesn't seem like a ridiculously close following distance to me on the highway, especially if you're paying attention to more than just the car in front of you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I taught myself how to drive in an automatic and 2 feet:2 pedals seems to logically match up. Left foot rides on the dead pedal though unless I'm actually braking and I don't have a problem with right foot braking when driving a stick.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Colonel Sanders posted:

I make a habit of trying to avoid any vehicle with a GPS mounted in their windshield. Apparently you can get GPS software for your gigantic iPad these days, and people can mount the iPad directly above their steering wheel, who needs to see out the windshield when the GPS guides you the entire way?

Bonus - these are the idiots I drive with every single day. . . :suicide: (it's all good, but gets more interesting at about 1 minute in)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNKfCS_ue-E

This doesn't surprise me in the least, the ramp to that exit is probably the most dangerous one in the city. I know I hate driving it in my eta, it's hard to get up to speed in time and merge onto 235.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Riding and driving are two totally different things, why would you compare them at all?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I don't know exactly what causes it but wearing headphones fucks with my spatial sense far more than what the music should.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah I've accidentally left them in and on while getting out of the gym and just that unconscious sense of where other objects are around you was not there.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
You can rent a car at 25, or is that a myth too?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Blocks in the midwest are normally 1/10th of a mile, so 528 feet. That's a bit excessive.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
They do have high speed training and flashy lights that say, "get the gently caress out of my way idiot", I think that makes a tiny difference.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

It's the third blizzard of the season for Wichita, and the first to not come on Sunday. The second blizzard really sucked since the roads were icy on the Monday after and I had the joy of going to work, came ridiculously close to an accident too. I remember it quite well, I was in the far left straight lane and there was a left turn lane, I was approaching a red light and had slowed down to about 15 or 20 mph when suddenly the rear end in a top hat who was second in the left turn lane decided they really needed to go straight and started pulling into my lane. Hitting the brakes yielded nothing but a slide, I knew my speed was slow enough I didn't really care about the potential damage, the only thing that went through my mind was the fact that I was off duty and I already heard a couple coworkers radio in with far more serious accidents, if it hit this car I was going to be sitting there doing nothing for hours waiting for safety to show up. My slide ended we me inches away from both their car and the truck in the next lane over.

Today, I took my wife to work. There has been a couple inches of snow that started at about 3am. For the most part the roads were not slick, my brakes responded well whenever I tried to use them, I drove about 5 to 10mph below the speed limit (30 in a 40mph zone) which was most of the other traffic was doing. Got cut off by a bro-truck who was weaving in and out between me and the other three or four cars on the road. Next I watched a bro-burban for about four red lights, judging by the directional V and low tread depth I'm certain he had summer tires in the rear, and maybe all season in front. He would pull up in left lane, I was in the right lane, every green light I would hear him hammer down and hear the sound of tries screeching, I would just slowly accelerate away and get about halfway down the block before the SUV would come barreling past me and we would meet again at the next red light. The pièce de résistance of the morning was a BMW 525i, I was going down an almost empty 4 lane 40mph road, this one is lower traffic and was more slick, I felt safe doing about 35 on this road (which was probably too fast). The rear end in a top hat in the BMW flew past me at probably 50 or more, cut me off and slammed on their brakes to attempt to make a right turn, only they ended up doing a 180. The BMW ended it's slide sideways blocking a residential intersection, I pulled the seat cushion out my rear end and kept on driving.

This makes me very glad I took today off!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Crotch Fruit posted:

Hospital, in an out-patient clinic, where every single patient canceled their appointment today. Yeah some people are necessary no matter how much the weather sucks, but not her division. On the bright side, I had the joy of driving there four hours early to pick her up, and the only incident along the way was sitting at a red light for 10 minutes. Apparently, this particular red light really needed to use the sensor to cycle and that just wasn't happening, so I sat behind five cars who would all wait their turn to pull up and wait for a two minutes before deciding to make a right turn.

Yep, I had an appointment at Via Christi up on 21st and Webb today and I was like, "fuuuuuuck that". My apartment complex hasn't been plowed yet so I still have no idea if I'm going to be able to drive to work tomorrow.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

That first photo does look like The Road. It genuinely looks like a movie set with snow on it.

Why the gently caress is car on fire. :psyduck:

I'm guessing someone got stuck and overreved their engine so much it caught on fire

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
My grandma's boyfriend left his mid 90s xj6 parked on the street in the lower east side for several years, and then asked me if I wanted to drive it back to Connecticut for him (the answer was hell no, gently caress driving in NYC)

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I'm sure people thought I was an idiot driver yesterday because I was following google maps directions and they sent me to totally the wrong place

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Driving from Wichita to Stillwater OK tomorrow in what promises to be some pretty poo poo weather hitting the midwest. I should have plenty of stories for this thread whenif I get back

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Had a similar problem while driving down to Stillwater on Saturday, my buddy's civic apparently has a rather anemic defroster because it would only melt the ice around half way up the windshield when we were driving at turnpike speeds. When we stopped for the toll booths everything would melt off

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Freezing rain was falling and it was ice building up on the outside of the windshield.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

It looks to me like there are two right turn lanes there, or was she turning right from a straight ahead lane?

Yes there are two right turn lanes but they merge into the two left turn lanes that STR is on, we have a bunch of frontage roads for the highway that runs through the center of town that are set up the same way and people do the same loving poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

xzzy posted:

I used to think it was impossible for cars to fly around like that, then I started watching those russian dashcam videos. Apparently it takes very little for a vehicle to start flipping around.

A bit of throttle, the wheel catches on something and boom.. it's spinning like a top.

Yep, when I was still in high school and riding the bus some girl driving a sunfire flipped her car on its roof driving up the wheel of a wrangler with tires that were sticking a good 4" outside of the fender flares. She was going maybe 10mph tops. I guess that's why it's illegal in some countries!