Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I can't find the headlight switch on a modern car :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

*farts in hand and fans it at you*

Smell dis? Is good no?

That's almost as good as up by where you live, NDOT didn't grind down before they slapped more asphalt down at the bridge overcrossing at Red Rock? Stead? So now it's a 13'11" instead of a 14'1", Nevada is a 14 foot state. That bridge is gonna get beat like UNLV.

Or if it is a International, down by your loving knees. Or if it is on a GM truck from the 1990's you have no idea, but it's best to hit all the switches because GM used water based poster paint for the important switch markings in the 1990s.

Peterbilt are also like that. Handy as gently caress if you want to light off the engine while being on the ground.

I also want to meet the person who came up with this, blindfold them and beat them with a rubber hose.

That fake velour IS nasty. I prefer the Cheyenne vs. Silverado anyway--I specifically want vinyl floors instead of carpet, a bench seat, I want a clutch pedal with a throw as long as the actual shifter and I want a transfer case stick that you have to pull like a MAN, drat it, not a push button.

Also you can't accidentally roll down all the windows with your knee.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

At least they use the damned thing.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Huge_Midget posted:

When did it ever become acceptable for people to use the center turn lane as a merge lane? Just because you might have to wait a few seconds more to safely turn left from a side street doesn't mean "Hey, I'll just use the center turn lane as my own personal acceleration lane. Somebody will let me in eventually!" No. In fact, if I see someone doing that I'll make it my own personal mission to make sure they know the fact that the center turn lane is for traffic that is already on the street trying to decelerate and turn left. I swear to god oncoming SUV, I'll play loving chicken in my shitbox 1992 Accord. And guess what motherfucker? I ain't gonna be the one that blinks. Oh I'm sorry did I inconvenience you and your mewling crotch spawn because you had to slow down for someone using the center turn lane for it's loving god given intended purpose? Good, I hope you roll that loving monstrosity and it kills your entire brood. God knows the gene pool needs a little bleach in it around here.

When did it become acceptable for you to somehow become the one true anointed traffic arbiter and make an act you consider unsafe ten times worse? I hope one of the SUV's plays with you and crushes your self-righteous rear end so we get better posts in the forum.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

kastein posted:

According to my driving record they also write tickets for failure to inspect. :(

Hahaha, inspections. This is basically the only perk that living in Alabama gets you. Well, that and some damned good college football teams.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Fucknag posted:

In Florida we have the 10-20-life rule; automatic 10, 20 and 25-life sentences for pulling (or displaying I'm sure) a gun, discharging one, or shooting someone, respectively, during any criminal incident. So if the guy flashed his AK, even accidentally, and wound up punching the dude (assault), that's an automatic 10 year sentence, even before other considerations that could make it longer; the judge by state law cannot prescribe a sentence more lenient than that.

Of course it conflicts with Stand Your Ground, etc. Still, something to think about, as I'm sure other states have similar things.

I personally am anti-gun full stop, but even the staunchest advocates I don't think would approve of showing your hot steel to put some road rager in their place.

Florida is stupid and has stupid laws.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

This son of a bitch right here:

Dirty silver car, it's raining and 6:30 am, he's doing 20 above the speed limit with no lights on. gently caress you and die.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

rcman50166 posted:

Not so much a derail when the thread is apparently referencing the people posting. My point, which I've already stated before, is that it is safer to stay in drive.

Some of you sound like your trying to say two people drag racing in identical cars will finish at the same time if one is in drive and one is in neutral. It's mind boggling.

God, shut up about it already. It's a boring hypothetical argument.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Had yet another fuckface go left in the roundabout in the shopping center near my house. I'm not at all ashamed to have yelled at the motherfucker through my open window loud enough to hurt my throat after he almost hit me head-on. I made him reverse out of it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Wal-mart axed greeters years ago. Suck it, old poors.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

At the same roundabout I've seen 5 or 6 people go around counterclockwise, had a guy today inside the roundabout yield to every car that was waiting to enter. Fuckin' Alabama.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

The illiterate, inbred morons around here have no problems with left turns, they manage to turn left onto roundabouts somewhere around half the time despite the arrows on signs, the ground, and assorted yield signs. I wish they just stacked up in turning lanes.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

They work very well in Germany, FWIW.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I'm pretty happy that Dodge, of all people, has made their newer cars so that the headlights come on with the wipers. How did it take this long for that feature to happen?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

nitrogen posted:

Here in Texas, we have something even stupider. We have different speed limits for cars vs trucks on some streets and freeways.

If there's one thing you absolutely do NOT want, it's all traffic moving at a similar speed.

Works in Europe. Trucks are speed limited and usually can't pass cars except in special zones. Makes it so there aren't miles and miles of traffic backed up because of a 65.99 to 66 mph drag race that goes on for 10 miles.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

As far as gutless vehicles to learn on, one of the first cars I drove was a 1980's Isuzu I-mark diesel with 51 horsepower. Slip the clutch however you like, it wouldn't even try to bark the 155/80 tires.

It was like a Beetle with a heater that worked. Probably just as unsafe, too.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 14, 2015

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

I'd think about doing that stunt. Probably wouldn't, but I'd think about it.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Flyover country. Figures.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 31, 2016

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Don't you live in Alabama or am I thinking of someone else.

I accidentally emptyquoted, had to type something. Think I'm gonna uninstall SALR.

I freely admit that Alabama is the 49th-worst state. Maybe the 48th depending on how terribly Arkansas and Louisiana are doing in a particular year.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

So are they actually going to ticket people for it?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Stinkin' drunk.

In capitalist Russia...

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

kastein posted:

I love doing this to ratty hosed up ricer crapcans. I scared one badly in my XJ on 235/75R15 mud tires (I think his suspension was loving wrecked with ebay bullshit or cut springs) and do it regularly in my forester rolling on (until a few months ago, when the struts got truly scary and I had to actually drive it as slow in corners as most people do) well used 200k+ mile stock suspension. The one I particularly remember in my XJ was great, I had just finished putting the tires on and went to my normal skidpad cloverleaf to test them out. After a half dozen loops around I pretty much knew where the limits were when a fart cannoned shitbox with crappy HIDs crawled up my rearend going into the ramp, so I just stayed at the limit. I saw a lot of swerving and panic brake dipping and after that I'm not really sure because he was too far back to see around the corner anymore.

Got a cellphone G meter app after that and it turns out an XJ on 235/75R15s with otherwise stock suspension will pull drat near 1G lateral if you want it to. I didn't believe it, but some basic math, estimated turn radius from google maps, and my speedo reading corroborated it.

note to those concerned: I only played around like this late at night on a mostly empty highway cloverleaf I knew every bump and washboard of by heart. It's boring *and* unsafe if there are too many normals in the way.

There's a descending radius 270­° off-ramp on my commute that I do this to people on when they're tailgating. The first 100 feet aren't bad, but it tightens in a hurry after that.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Alcohol, probably.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

PT6A posted:

Or you could just back in instead of out and then you'll have good visibility for when you're pulling into traffic.

When I'm in that 6-foot tall box canyon of SUV's it doesn't matter which way I leave the parking space, I can't see poo poo to the side until 4 feet of the car is in the aisle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

iospace posted:

How haven't you lost yours yet?

Maybe he's a sovereign citizen and laws don't apply to him.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

How the gently caress do you change a post so quickly from good to terrible and mysoginist so quickly?

It's sort of his thing when he's trying to be subtle.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

PT6A posted:

An H1 is an utterly ridiculous and over the top insane vehicle. An H2 is just an awful, awful compromise in comparison.

If you're going to do crazy, you better do crazy to the maximum degree.

The H2 is better in every conceivable way at being an actual vehicle, though.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Dick Trauma posted:

So that's intentional? I see that all the time and wonder when the hell the driver is going to start reversing.

It's called "approach lighting" and is trivially easy to disable if you scroll through the car's settings but people are dumb.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

nsaP posted:

So if someone parks so close to me that I can only get out with many maneuvers that include touching bumpers (not scraping along the sides), what am I supposed to do? Wait until the person who can’t park correctly comes back to their car?

Yes. Just wait calmly for possibly hours until the person who boxed you in comes back, obviously. You absolute idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Phanatic posted:

I've noticed more people asymptotically approaching red lights. I mean, they don't pull up to them at stop like a reasonable person, they start slowing down at a big distance to it and then go slower and slower as they get closer to the stop bar.

Why, people?

Why are you wasting gasoline and wearing your brakes faster for no reason? Coast down like a normal person. My mother will enthusiastically accelerate towards a red light and it drives me crazy.