Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Leroy Diplowski posted:

I used to not really use my parking brake until several years ago when my '88 celica popped out of gear and started rolling backwards across a parking lot, onto a busy 3 lane road (where it was rolling backwards with the flow of traffic), across said road, and nearly off a 50 foot embankment. The only reason the car wasn't destroyed is that I was able to catch up to it on foot, jump in the car(I had left the door open) and slam on the brakes just a few feet before it was too late. When the car came to a stop one of the rear tires was in the air overhanging the embankment.

Looking back it was a pretty stupid to run after my car, but I just reacted in the heat of the moment.

While it was perhaps foolish to do in retrospect, I must commend you for saving another 4th gen Celica from the scrap heap, even momentarily :3:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I try to keep my cars clean, really I do. But then other people borrow it or I feel too tired/depressed to clean it at the the end of the day, so some things get left in it but it's ok because I'll just get them tomorrow except that tomorrow I'm more tired/depressed/busy than yesterday and before I know it a month has passed and my car looks like a homeless person used it for shelter.

TL;DR I am a bad person for how I treat my vehicles.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Protocol7 posted:

I can forgive dirtiness in your case because you actually try to clean. My buddy's just like, "well, done with my McGriddle" and throws the wrapper down in his passenger side.

See, at least I can take comfort in the fact that I am not that bad. Food related trash gets removed as soon as I get home.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The new GBS was irritating at first, and I still miss the spaceflight megathread, but I'm starting to warm up to it. It definitely gets more laughs out of me than the "old" one did. The "Adventures of Satan" CYOA in particular was an incredible(y disgusting) thread.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw an old dude in a minivan turn left from the righthand lane, directly across the path of the Passat beside me. At least he used his turn signal :downs:

Also, pretty much all of the students of the college I work at are apparently incapable of using a sidewalk, and will instead stroll down the center of the road, even if one is literally 5 feet away. They might use it to stand on as you drive past, but usually will hop right back into the road. It's a small campus with a lot of blind corners, I've nearly hit some on more than one occasion because of this but they never loving learn.

Do not even get me started on how they drive, I might have a stroke.

Michael Scott posted:

Sorry for the derail (I don't have PMs), but the Spaceflight Megathread has been relocated to the Science, Academia, and Languages subforum of A/T, here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3580990

It's a great thread and a neat subforum. :)

Hey, sweet, I'd completely forgotten about that subforum. Thanks for showing me where the best GBS thread went. :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My favorite is the people that wait until the very last second to move into the open lane when the other is closed for construction. Motherfucker they have signs telling you that that lane was going to disappear a mile and a half ago, just because we all moved over does not mean it is now your very own personal cruise lane.

I take obscene pleasure in not letting these fuckers in when they inevitably run out of road if they happen to be next to me when it ends. I won't speed up or slow down, I just maintain my speed and let them figure it out or gently caress themselves. Only had someone actually hit the (large, water-filled) cones once, some oblivious shitlord in a new Mercedes E class thought he'd use the very last 300 yards to pass a few more cars. I bet that was an expensive repair bill.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Dead Cow posted:

It's actually faster and safer if everyone uses both lanes and zippers in properly at the merge point.

You're correct, if everybody left proper following distance and worked together it would be safer and quicker for all involved. Unfortunately I've only seen this happen a handful of times, the rest of the time everybody jams together tight as a drum in the remaining lane. If someone is actively trying to get over and they are running out of room then of course I will let them in. My ire is directed at the special breed of rear end in a top hat that will see the empty lane as an opportunity to pass 30 cars, especially if they jump out of the correct lane with a short distance left to try and sneak a few more spots in.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Snowdens Secret posted:

Your ire should be with the people loving up the merge in the first place, especially the ones that merge and then slow down making sure there's no possible way for the two lanes of traffic to get through whatever at a proper rate. If someone has the ability and opportunity to pass those idiots they should take it.

On my motorcycle I routinely go all the way around, dip in right near the end and zip on through, not because it requires the speed and agility of a bike (it doesn't), but just because riding one lets you see the combined nincompoopery of the mergers - getting sideways, stopping, leaving bizarre gaps, speeding up and slowing down way too much etc etc - and the path past them much easier. That's definitely going to be one part of driving that will be vastly better served when computers talking to each other are driving cars for us.

All right, it seems I am in the wrong and will cease being so much of a dick to them.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of idiot students and parking lots, this happened last week.

PT Cruiser convertible decided that things like "checking mirrors" or "looking behind you when you reverse" was just too much trouble.

E: I cropped the school out of this photo before uploading from the phone, what the gently caress imgur. Oh well, it wasn't hard to figure out where I work anyway.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 21, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw my first really obvious drunk driver in a loooong time today. Motherfucker was going 10-15 under, on the interstate, and was barely keeping it between the lines, just all over his lane and some of mine. Actually thought he was going to hit me as I quickly passed him. It was also right around an area where the Staties love to sit but no such luck today.

This was at 7 in the morning, by the way :psyduck: .

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I love to drive in the snow, for pretty much all the reasons already posted. I actually find it really calming, and tons of fun as long as there isn't a lot of other people to deal with. It has barely snowed here the last couple years. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yup, I had to go into work for five minutes this morning just to pick up my paycheck and it was the nicest commute I've ever had.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
It would warm the cockles of my blackened heart if a tailgater worked themselves into an aneurysm behind me one day. I really don't understand how somebody can get so angry about going the speed limit (usually faster).

Maybe I'm a bad person for it but I've started just wishing horrible things on the morons I see daily. gently caress 'em.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
They also drive and ride about as bad as they look and the interior/instrument cluster is reminiscent of a PowerWheels car. God what a lovely vehicle.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TheFrailNinja posted:

Are you guys serious? I love every generation of these things that I've driven. The first generation is getting a little worse for wear at this point, but still. Maybe it's because my experience with them is exclusively at 15mph or less, but I think they're great. Maybe it's that car-like handling you guys are talking about that makes them so nice to drive. The newest generation is especially great, as with all of the new Fords that are rolling out.

You aren't security at my job are you? They've got a second gen that they cruise around in after they managed to beat a Cherokee half to death. I can't speak for the newer ones but the low mileage first gen I drove was like being in a horse cart made from Tonka toy plastic.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

On the related videos.
[video type="youtube"]lGhx-fgeBo[/vide fun stuff starts at about 55 seconds in.

The spin out of control is like something out of a movie. Overcorrect left, overcorrect right, see ya!
Also in my experience driving in the greater Vancouver area is always like this.

The most surprising thing to me about this video is how many cars pull over to help, including the truck that caused the wreck to begin with. In the US that Uhaul would have completed its lane change and continued on its merry way as if nothing had happened, followed by a dozen or so other cars that saw the crash but can't be hosed to stop.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
How many times did someone pull out in front of me while I was going over 55 this morning? Three, three times! Ah Ah Ah!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Virginia does it where you take a simple written test, get your learners at 15 1/2, drive on that for 6 months and you have to log 30 daylight/10 night driving hours. Generally public schools have a driving class during this period which is about 80% class 20% actual driving, so you do that, take your final practical exam and another written test, and then you go to the courthouse with a few dozen other kids and listen to the judge give a stern lecture about safety, at which point you are given your real license.

For my practical test the driving instructor (a faculty member of my high school who I had driven with a couple times previously) had me drive to a local sandwich place so she could get her lunch, and she bought me a sandwich too. I guess I did pretty well :haw: .

My learners permit driving log had over 40 hours of daylight and a "claimed" 15 hours of night driving. It was actually closer to 30 hours of night driving because my stoner friend loved to come over to my place late at night, get baked as gently caress, and then toss me the keys (I didn't smoke back then) and we would just drive all over our rural county at 1am. Yes, it was pretty loving stupid but I loving love driving and took any opportunity to do so.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Dec 12, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Speaking of which, I have to take one this Saturday to wipe that stupid ticket from August off my record. 8 hours in a Holiday Inn conference room, I can't wait.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Consider yourselves lucky, my state doesn't even let you do that. You get a ticket it's on your record for at least (I think) 5 years.

Technically I haven't been charged with anything yet, no points on my license, but if I don't take this class then I will be charged. If they do charge me then it will be on my record for 5-7 years, but taking an improvement class will still remove any points on my license.

e; Virginia does not add points to your license for inspection tickets, which is lucky for my friend who has literally never had a car that would pass, for one reason or another. Never for anything actually dangerous, just stupid poo poo like a busted horn or loud exhaust. He's spent over $1500 on inspection tickets. :psyduck:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 13, 2013

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

some texas redneck posted:

Texas allows you to do online defensive driving :downs: - I've taken it a few times.

That was the only good part of my entire, month and a half long experience with the Texas DPS. Long story short I "moved" to Texas for a few months, my Virginia license expired a day before my flight, and because of Texas' new laws I had to retake the entire driving course as if I was a new driver again. Compounded by them jerking me around about 6 times with exactly what paperwork I needed to have and basically being the biggest bunch of shitlords I've ever dealt with. Then during the practical I got an instructor who barely spoke English that failed me for going 25 in a 35 despite the route he took me on having no speed limit signs. I just defaulted to the usual residential speed limit VA uses.

gently caress that flat, hot shithole state. The TFR meet was pretty awesome though. :)

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
The one I took thankfully did not do this so I just ran the video in the background while browsing the forums. Check it every 15 minutes or so, take quiz, back to forums. Still aced them all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I was on the highway earlier, going the speed limit because it was foggy and raining. Started gaining on an early '00s Galant with a burned out headlight, moved over to pass, and suddenly they start pulling ahead. Fine, I'm in no hurry, so I move back over and almost immediately start gaining on them again. Move over to pass again, they speed up again, rinse/repeat. I know this game, it's my least favorite rear end in a top hat driver move because it is so deliberate. So I drop the hammer to get far away from them, the only solution I have found that works. They kept up to about 85mph before giving up, and once I had returned to the speed limit I never saw them again.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
HOAs are literally a creation of the devil and anyone that willingly joins one is probably one step away from putting on some jackboots and an armband.

edit: wow, I used the word "literally" and :godwin: in this post. I've been spending way to much time in GBS lately.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 12, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CharlesM posted:

Just one question, is the cop just sitting there while the guy is crawling out?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Ringo Star Get posted:

I know this from the last page and all, but did anything come of this? The guy is either unconscious or severely injured and doesn't move a muscle but has about half dozen cops dogpiling on him to beat him up.

A week of paid leave and commendations all around, probably.

Fake edit: actually bothered to look it up, 5 of them were fired.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 14, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Michael Scott posted:

Happy birthday. :) Enjoy your horizontal license.

Also you'll find that now that you have that fancy "I'm legal" horizontal license that you can show off, nobody will ever bother to check it anymore. It's like they know :tinfoil:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

It's also the last time your birthday has any significance beyond possibly getting a free beer or some cake :(

Insurance rates go down at 25 :toot:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Galler posted:

Nope. That's a myth that just refuses to die I'm sorry to say.

Well poo poo

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

I usually come blazing up the ramp at 80 (unless I can't manage that based on the corners and space available) so I can choose which gap I'm going for and brake to match with it instead of coming in going slower than traffic and hoping a good spot happens to come along.

If that scares people, gently caress em, they can deal.

If I see someone puttering along on the ramp going way too slow and I realize in time, I usually hang back and go even slower than them until the apex of the last corner, then hammer it, merge, and hope everyone behind me realizes I just did them a favor and gave them more space to accelerate than they would have given themselves otherwise.

Yes, I've beaten sportscars out of entrance ramps in a beat up jeep with 230k miles on it and a blown stock suspension before. Learn to drive, fuckers :v:

I've only ever had one car that made more than 200hp, and it only made that for a month before puking expensive bits of valve everywhere, so this is how I drive everything as well. The 240 with nearly 300k has only made it worse, and I loving love passing people in M3s in the outside lane of one particularly long on-ramp I drive every day. gently caress, it's such a lazy sweeper the Volvo has no trouble holding it at 75mph (80 is a bit sphincter puckering though), and every. loving. Day I get stuck behind people that shouldn't be trusted to drive a shopping cart going 45 on that turn. They always immediately hop into the left lane too.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Was reminded why I never go downtown anymore tonight. Multiple bicyclists blatantly ignoring traffic laws? Check. Prius turned halfway into my lane waiting to make a left? Check. Pedestrian wearing all black clothing walking into 45mph traffic without looking? Check.

Honorable mention to the UVA student that quickly dipped into a street parking spot only to whip right back onto the road (cutting me off) and then went 50yds before slamming on the brakes to pull into another one a few cars up. gently caress you, choke on a thousand dicks, tyia.

I've been waffling about it for a month now but I think it's time to buy a dashcam. :sigh:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Colonel Sanders posted:

At my local college, back when I owned a firebird, I came out to see another car crossed over the line crushing my bumper. Campus police were called and were bored, they arrived on scene in minutes. The first cop says " move your car so we can see the damage" so i backed up. The second then cop said "well I dont see any collision here." There was damge, they now denied ever seeing my cars bumper cruahed in. They had rhe car that hit me righr there, plates and all, the campus police "too busy". The were cameras everywhere in the lot, they were "too busy" too check if they worked.

College security is a loving joke everywhere. We had a student park her car directly in a loading dock, that we use every day, 20 feet from a goddamn parking lot with empty spaces. No parking permit sticker on the car either, which is supposed to be an instant towing. I had to call security three times about it before they even showed up, and when they finally did they said there was "nothing they could do" and hosed off back to sit on Facebook in the office. I said I would just call a tow truck myself but was told I would be fired if I did. There have been a couple other incidents here similar to the one you experienced as well. I have nothing nice to say about the security department or the people that "work" there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Craptacular posted:

Loading docks are busy places with lots of big things being moved around, it would have been a shame if the car had been accidentally hit by one of them.

Believe me the thought briefly crossed my mind (specifically throwing some chains around the recovery point and dragging it out of the way), but it's a small, singular dock that gets used twice a day at the most and, again, I would have been fired immediately.

Plus it was an RX-8 and I would have felt a little bad about damaging it, even if the owner is a moron. Oh well, I see it getting started up and driven a few hundred yards and then parked all the time, so eventually karma will destroy their engine for me. Prior to that incident I had seriously considered leaving them a note to let them know how to better care for their rotary but now? gently caress 'em.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

I had a lady stop in the middle of a 55Mph road last night for no apparent reason. I don't think it's safe to stop in the middle of a highway. :psyduck:

Oh man, that reminds me of something I forgot to post about. The other week on my way home, just after the road changes from single lane to divided highway I see a car on the shoulder with brake lights on but no hazards, and another car next to it but actually in the right lane, again brake lights on no hazards. I passed by and saw no damage to either car, as far as I could tell they had decided to have a neighborly chat in the middle of the 55mph highway. :psyboom:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw a jogger, ahem, jogging in the road, literally a foot from the nicely cleared sidewalk. Cars were having to go halfway into the oncoming lane to pass them. I sincerely hope they get turned into a loving hood ornament.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I'm sitting in my car in a walmart parking lot right now because i would rather eat a gun piece by piece then go inside, and just saw a girl back her Cobalt into the bigass Chevy 1500 parked next to me. Didn't do poo poo to the truck, and in their defense they got out to make sure there wasn't damage to it. When they drove off I noticed that the same corner they had hit the truck with was already cracked and had bondo applied over it, that was itself cracking. So this is probably a semi-regular thing for her.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Geoj posted:

Comedy option: invest in a set of gojacks and wheel people who refuse to move out into the street.

Install plow mount to front of vehicle, swap plow for pallet-forks. :getin:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Solkanar512 posted:

When officials start calling for folks to stay off the roads, you should call the non-emergency line and rat out your wife's boss. I'm sure a few first responders would love to have a word with the kind of rear end in a top hat that forces people to put themselves in danger.

Seriously. Even when I worked at a ski resort (which obviously is going to see a lot of inclement weather and if you aren't comfortable with that then the job isn't for you) my boss completely understood if you couldn't make it in because the roads were hosed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
At my current job if they close for snow everybody gets paid for a full day. If you come in anyway because your job isn't affected by classes being cancelled, well, you just got 8 hours of overtime for free :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ratbert90 posted:

Idaho roads are painted with straight up house paint. Guess what happens immediately to the lines when there is either snow or rain or a light breeze?

gently caress Idaho roads.

North Carolina roads are like this as well, with the added bonus of whatever asphalt they use just loving absorbs light, when it rains it was like trying to navigate in a black hole. Fun stuff.