Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

0rganDonor posted:

Also, when they grind the paint off, as opposed to scorching it off, it creates little valleys that catch the steer tires on big trucks and make you swerve all around. I'm looking at you Indiana.

Fake edit: hey all you guys that complain about snow and ice on semi trailers, I thought about it and decided to see how long and how much energy it would take to knock the ice off the underside of my trailer. Two hours and my arms are sore, and that's just the aftermath of one night's storm. I'm only doing that again if it effects the performance of the trailer.

One could argue that it already does effect the performance of the trailer if you account for all the additional weight it adds. I know it's probably pretty trivial overall but I bet fuel savings and what-not over time would really add up.

In terms of making it easier to clear the trailers off, how feasible would it be to do an industrial scale defroster grid on the roof/underside of the trailer. Leave it running all night when you're parked and no need to worry about being a rolling whiteout the next day, switch to underside heating to keep the ice off while on the road. Or would the amount of amperage needed to power something like that use up enough extra fuel that it out-weigh the potential fuel savings to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
You can turn rotary engines over by hand with the alternator pulley :haw:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Man, gently caress people that think it's ok to go through a drive through with a crew cab dually towing a 20ft trailer. Double gently caress them if they watch you get in your car, put it in reverse, and only then do they pull in front of you so you are stuck in your parking space until the 4 cars in front of them move. Holy gently caress I want to stab him until I can't lift my arms.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I would say to tell him the only way to fix his problem is to cram his head up his rear end in a top hat, but it's probably already there.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

xzzy posted:

Sounds like confirmation bias to me, I see heaps of cars running high beams of all makes and models.

Are the clueless idiots running daytime high-beams a fairly recent development for the rest of you? It is for me, I've driven/ridden in low-sitting cars for my whole life and only started noticing this bullshit in the last year or two.

I had an Accord high-beam me 4-5 times yesterday before (I guess) he found the right button and turned his fog-lights on. :downs:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Some jackoff in a Nissan Rogue had some gigantic LED strips in his grille the other day. They overpowered his low-beams and since they were mounted just as high as the regular lights they were blinding as hell. Like, I actually had spots in my eyes after passing. I hope he finds a really solid oak tree at a high rate of speed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Everyday Lurker posted:

I've had countless drivers pull up alongside with those bright-rear end high beams in just the right spot where it bounces off the driver-side mirror and straight into my eyes.

My passive-aggressive solution to this? Readjust the mirror outward until the beam bounces right back at them. Most people get the message and either back off, blow past or just switch off the high beams.

This is the greatest thing about having power mirrors; it's so satisfying to give assholes a taste of their own medicine.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

0rganDonor posted:

The Tennessee state police cruise around in this thing to catch people texting and generally loving off while driving;

No one expects a semi to be a marked unit.

This is loving awesome.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A big shout-out to the dude in the '04 Sienna with PA tags that flew up behind me in traffic and tailgated until I had a chance to move over, at which point he proceeded to do the same thing to the whole line of cars, until he had bullied all of them out of his way. I was happy as poo poo though because I had hopped right back in behind him after being passed and just followed this guy all the way to my exit. We were rolling 80+ the whole way, knocked 10 minutes off my normal drive home.

Sometimes assholes are useful.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had a ham-beast in a nasty looking Caravan pull right out in front of me yesterday. The only reason I avoided slamming into them was I was only going 25mph, and I still stopped maybe a foot away from them. There is no way they couldn't have seen me coming (white car, lights on, broad daylight, straight road) so I guess they just never looked. The expression on their face was loving adorable, like a walrus being awoken from it's slumber.

Then there was the 3 car procession going 10 under in the left lane, packed together like you would do in rush-hour, with no other traffic around. That was weird.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

KozmoNaut posted:

It's always worked perfectly well for me. I just start matching my speed to the other lane and slide right in shortly before the merge point.

Yeah but don't you live in a magical European fairy-tale land where people actually have to know something about driving before being given a license?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

The low gearing helps on rough terrain. Also you can pet it.

And that suspension articulation :swoon:

Just gotta watch out for potholes gopher holes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

skylineboy08 posted:

jesus all i did was scumpass someone on the right and it was worth all these posts? i know goons are bored but drat.

We were taking the piss out of you for posting about passing a slow moron on the right as if it was a serious offense that should be looked on with shame. Yeah, it's not technically ok to do but if I never passed on the right my commute would take about 20 minutes longer. Yesterday I passed 3 people in a 5 mile stretch who were all going 5+ mph under the limit in the left lane and would not move over. Fucks given: zero.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

The Midniter posted:

Nah. It's usually a 2007 Toyota Sienna, or a 2010 Honda Accord. Years-old people movers I notice doing this mostly.

And I'm with everyone else, if I'm going down a hill I let gravity do its thing, speed limits be damned (for the most part) and let the momentum bring me up the other side, but I make sure that by the time all the momentum speed has bled off, that I'm at least maintaining the speed limit.

One thing that gets my goat is people going down a hill riding the brakes. Just let gravity do its thing, mannnnnnnnnn.

Part of my commute is a mountain, I work on a plateau and live in the valley, and almost every day I get stuck behind somebody riding their brakes all the way down, trying to stay below 45mph (speed limit is 55) even though it's a pretty gentle slope with no sharp turns because I guess long hills are scary. It's so gentle at times that I usually have to apply throttle to maintain speed.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Devyl posted:

They had a problem with cars and the crosswalks at the old downtown square here in Bowling Green. It's a historic area with a lot of bars. Mix that with being in a college town and you can imagine the kind of problems that arise. To fix it, the crosswalk now has signs that light up and lights throughout the road itself so people know when it's safe to cross.

My town has these all over the place downtown, which makes sense because UVA and the Downtown Mall are within blocks of each other so there is a ton of foot-traffic everywhere, mostly comprised of stoned/drunk/idiot college students.

Funnily enough I didn't start noticing them until after a police officer struck a dude in a wheel-chair who was jay-walking jay-rolling.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

kastein posted:

Today, at least four people moved over (usually after ignoring me for quite a while) when I high beam flashed them to get their asses out of the left lane... and then immediately pulled back out into the left lane and resumed pacing the person in the middle lane the second I went by.

Jesus people in this state are stupid.

People do that here all the time too, poo poo gets me heated. It's like they honestly believe that the left lane is their own personal loving lane.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I stay in the left lane for most of my commute as well, the difference is I'm usually going 5+ over the limit and consistently passing people. And I'll still move over promptly if there is somebody who feels 78mph just isn't illegal enough.

Craptacular posted:

My theory: the right lane has vehicles entering/exiting the highway, the center lanes have traffic on both sides, but the left lane only has traffic on one side, so it requires the least amount of attention. This allows the driver to give more attention to their cell phone.

Or they're just assholes. :shrug:

No center lane, and only 4 exits in a 15 mile stretch that I commute on, but you're still probably correct, it's the easiest lane to sit and zone in if you are an rear end in a top hat.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Uthor posted:

Sorry locals living out in the mountains of Southern California, I'm the tourist from Illinois doing just the speed limit in a full size family sedan. I'm not used to elevation changes, turns in general, or driving a car bigger than a Golf.

I was really impressed by the guys hauling rear end in their full sized pick ups around hairpins with shear drop offs. Someone obviously knows the road.

I find that most timid drivers just seriously underestimate the capabilities of their cars. I'm surrounded by people that live in this area (that is nothing but hills and curves) and yet drive BMWs and Mercedes as if they're on a 12-foot-tall unicycle.

I'm not calling you out, as you said you only know straight roads and 90* turns, your post just reminded me about those people.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Every loving day it seems I have to jam on the brakes because of some student walking out in front of the big-rear end, loud box-truck I'm usually driving around campus. Or I'll come around a corner and there will be a gaggle of them walking down the center of the road, oblivious to the sidewalk 2 feet from them. Or they walk right behind me while I'm trying to reverse, even with the obnoxiously loud beeper that can be heard half-way across campus. Last year a girl walked smack into the side of the truck while it was parked because she was so engrossed in her cell-phone. She ran into it so hard I heard the impact while I was inside a building and thought another vehicle had hit it.

I say almost daily that the college would run so much better if it weren't for all these loving students :v:

e: don't even get me loving started on how they drive. Holy poo poo :catstare:

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 5, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
That seems like a really good way to get arrested or murdered.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I used to think the Celica had a lovely turning radius for such a small car (33ft and some change, IIRC) but apparently it's pretty drat good comparatively.

The 855 does have the turning radius of a bus, it kinda sucks sometimes.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
My dad taught me to watch the cross-traffic lights to know when your light was turning green when I was loving 5. So watching morons do the inch forward and stop, repeat until green poo poo has been driving me insane roughly that long. Thanks, dad, for giving me an early start on my hatred of other drivers.

edit: BTW, making your kid think you are a wizard by snapping your fingers to "make the lights turn green" is a cool-dad-thing, that also works on slow friends :v:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Was behind some dude in an '01 Monte Carlo, waiting to make a left. Protected left green comes on, car in front of him goes across the intersection, he just sits there. And sits there. after 10 seconds of this I honk the horn a couple times, he throws his hand out the window like "what the hell do you want me to do?" I want you to MOVE, FUCKER. More honking from me, more hand-waving from clueless mcretard, until the light changes yellow, at which point he finally gets it and punches the gas. Goddamn dude, it's one of the longest-green left-turn signals in the city and you still managed to gently caress it up.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

ijustam posted:

Haha I think this guy was loving with you

nsaP posted:

Not think, for sure

Yeah that was my conclusion as well. There is no way he didn't know the light was green, and he didn't get pissy when I beeped the horn, just kept playing stupid.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Yeah I can think of several dozen roads in my county that look exactly like that, old falling down barn and all.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

On my last road trip there were multiple times when one semi was slowly passing another in the left lane uphill, and when the driver saw that I also wanted to pass he dropped back and moved over.

Truckers are cool in my book.

I have literally never seen a trucker do this. It's always a slow race to the top at 35mph with 100 cars tailing behind while they wave their dicks at each other.

Not saying that I don't like truckers, I do and always try to make their life easier if I can. But drat, those fuckin' hills...

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Powershift posted:

If either truck was capable of getting a run at the hill, there likely wouldn't be a problem.

The hill is actually a mountain so getting a run at it is kinda a losing prospect no matter what if you are a loaded truck. I'm just glad I can take the small 2 lane up the mountain and catch the interstate at the top (it is literally just as fast, I've timed it going both up and down on both routes multiple times) because every time I try the interstate I get stuck behind trucks having a slow-drag. On the smaller road there is so little traffic that it's not an issue.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Almost turned a cyclist into a blood-piņata yesterday while driving the company box-van. Fucker blew right through a stop sign as I was going through the intersection (my side does not have a stop sign). Had to jack on the brakes and swerve into the oncoming lane to avoid squashing him.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SocketSeven posted:

One can only hope he had to ride all the way home with a load of poo poo in his spandex pants.

Yeah...I doubt that. He barely even registered my existence, had no helmet, and his shorts somewhere around his knees, which I didn't know was possible to do while riding.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

Letting people merge is good Car God karma hth.

There was a guy in one of my classes at school that bragged about not letting people merge one day, because of reasons. I guess he thought everybody would take his side on this or something? Anyway that didn't happen and he ended up with the entire class plus the teacher dog-piling him and telling him what a loving retarded rear end in a top hat he was for the last 2 weeks of the class. He didn't get the hint and ended up being in an accident when somebody in a bigger truck merged into him because he refused to get out of their way. Sweet, sweet karma.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

SocketSeven posted:

Congradulations. You found a wikipedia article with a single citation, of a single study from 2008 in Minnesota.

Fly away, troll.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Had another loving idiot try to kill himself with my box-van today. Some tatted up biker looking dude on a moped ( :haw: ). He was coming down the road I was turning right onto, rolls up to the stop sign, doesn't stop, looks to the right (away from me), doesn't look left at all, starts to pull out as I start making the right, only to suddenly decide to make a u-turn directly in front of me. He almost dumps it when he finally notices me, I get on the brakes and dive back to the left to avoid turning him into burger.

I just don't loving get how you can a) not look both ways and b) not hear/see the bigass white box truck.

edited for left/right confusion

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 28, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
They raised the speed limit on the interstate here to 70 about a decade ago. Every single day I pass dozens of cars still insisting on going 65. :negative:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Saw a guy driving his Honda Odyssey badly with a coffee mug (like, open top porcelain) in one hand and a little rat dog on his lap with paws on the wheel. Just because you've so clearly given up on life doesn't mean you get to endanger everybody else, dick.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Driving back home from Richmond on I-64, passed a Dodge Caravan. The driver had his left foot out the window, resting on the mirror, left hand on the steering wheel, and smart-phone in his right hand, staring at it intently. :bravo:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Tha Chodesweller posted:

The thing that sucks about Colorado is after winter, pretty much all paint is scraped from the road, so this happens a lot in turn lanes. I've had to swerve away from people who thought it safe to turn from the far right right turn lane into the far left lane, even though there are 2 right turn lanes at this intersection.

I have to do this regularly even with freshly painted lines. People are just loving idiots.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Chinatown posted:

The worst is the "fuel efficient vehicles only" in front of Whole Foods. I enjoy parking in those when I can. I mean my car IS more efficient than a truck so I guess I'm ok?

Its basically everything wrong with Whole Foods summed up.

Harris Teeter has these as well, I love parking in them every chance I get to piss off the smug-douches. Although I think the Corolla is a ULEV so it technically qualifies. Need to fix one of my less efficient cars so I can incite more yuppy rage.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
A lot of departments around me run a grab-bag of Vics, Chargers, Interceptors (SHO and Explorer variety), and Accords, and I have seen stealth versions of all of them. Some were so good I couldn't even tell until I was right next to them or they were already behind me. Makes the commute interesting, since all of those are very common civvy cars here as well.

I know Albemarle county has a couple weird cars as well, like an Escort ZX2 and a minivan of some type.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

InitialDave posted:

You can stick a lot of cars into corners/roundabouts faster than the average person realises. It's even better when they've got something that should be more capable than the shitbox you're in, and they bottle it.

This drives me up the drat wall. I got stuck behind some worthless gently caress in a brand new 911 Carrera S the other day that decided the lovely, S shaped offramp (that can be taken at 50 in a 16 year old shitbox) was too much fun for him, and dropped to 20 goddamn miles an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Abominable! posted:

Yeah, the last couple things are definitely annoying. How about people who, right before turning, swing the wheel the opposite direction of their turn as if they have the cornering ability of a dump truck? Like, thanks for pushing me out of my lane because you have no concept of angles and approaches.

This poo poo, right here. gently caress I hate those people.