Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The TVR Tuscan 2 was so confusing Jeremy Clarkson bet people 20 pounds they couldn't get into it and start it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sCuvWlheco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't think I've ever been through a double turn lane intersection in any kind of traffic without seeing at least one person fail to stay in their correct lane. It's loving pandemic.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

On the subject of awful intersections, my town has two that piss me off to no end. They would be entirely reasonable intersections if the town would put in traffic lights, but my town has *NO* traffic lights because they would spoil the historic atmosphere. Most of the time this isn't a problem, it's a small town, but it also happens to contain one of the most popular beaches in Massachusetts, and one of the major scenic routes along the coast goes through the center of town. As such at the height of tourist season there can be some pretty drat significant traffic.

This is the intersection between the town's two busiest streets, route 1a (the scenic road I mentioned) and the most direct route to route 1 and the highway, as well as a road that houses many of the local businesses and the train station. Route 1a is the northwest to southeast road, and on summer weekends is generally bumper to bumper. As such, trying to turn left anywhere intersection can mean waiting a couple minutes or risking an accident.

This is another nearby intersection which is mostly notable for one feature. The primary route of the main road from the south (center of town) is to the Northwest across the train tracks. This road has no yield or flashing light or anything else. Because it is the direct route nobody signals if they're crossing the tracks. Likewise, no one signals if they're going down the road to the Northeast because it doesn't really look like a turn. Traffic coming in from the Northeast has a stop sign here, the only one in the intersection. The road coming in from the Northwest side of the tracks is elevated slightly and blocked by bushes and a fence, so combined with the awkward angle it makes it difficult to see if anyone is coming that way. Since no one signals approaching from the south you can't assume that just because someone isn't signaling that they aren't crossing the tracks, so sometimes you're stuck waiting at this intersection for as much as a minute despite relatively low traffic flow since people go pretty fast through here and no one ever stops for you. Even a couple more stop signs would make this intersection much more manageable, but, too much signage lowers property values don't you know?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Then instead of the mantra being "Go to the track if you want to drive like that. You'll kill someone you idiot." It will be "Go to the track if you want to drive a car yourself. You'll kill someone you idiot."

Of course, there won't be any more tracks because they interfere with the eco-harmony of our interurban biomes.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Coasterphreak posted:

This sounds like a good time to spend a bit of tourism revenue having cops directing traffic at peak times. No tourism revenue? Have additional cops enforcing every traffic law imaginable.

Valid point, it's not as if the cops have anything else to do around here. I never see them set up speed traps, usually they're just pulling an Adam 69 in the parking lot across from the local old people's bar. Every time there's a minor accident 4 cop cars show up.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Am I the only one who thinks that movie would have been way better if the whole thing had just been the cops loving with people like the first 10 minutes? That was the only really great part about that movie, and it kind of made me want to be a cop.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

The_Raven posted:

I would love to start a public service campaign reminding people to turn off their "douche light", or rear fog light.

I'm a pretty laid-back guy when it comes to people pulling stupid poo poo on the road, but being behind people running these things just makes me stabby as gently caress. Goddamnit, just looking at this picture in preview is pissing me off.

I've got a douche light and I've never actually used it, but now that you mention it I'm tempted to try it out on people who tailgate me at night. That said it's probably a bad idea, they'll just be blinded and sideswipe me on their way off the road.

What really annoys me though is my headlights. I have a Volvo S60R and since the US has a DRL requirement and most of europe didn't (doesn't?) Volvo decided that instead of fitting another bulb for DRLs inside the headlamp assembly they would swap the high beams out for DRLs and motorize the standard beams to sweep upward for high beams and downward for low beams. As a result I have awful high beams. You can get euro-spec headlights that fix the problem but they cost over $1000 EACH (the S60R's headlights are glass) and are apparently a real bitch to install.

Oh Volvo. At least I can't complain that my car lacks character.

On a related note, there really needs to be a law against raising vehicles and not adjusting the headlights accordingly. For that matter, most stock SUVs and pickups seem to have their headlights pointed directly in my back window, while my headlights barely kiss the bumper of someone 20 feet in front of me.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I think a lot of people don't even consider how far it takes a vehicle to stop. They just assume they're safe because they're a pedestrian, and no one would dare hit a pedestrian, they'd get sued and go to jail and poo poo! They seem to assume that just because it's illegal means it's impossible and they're safe to do whatever the hell they feel like.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Consider yourself lucky she didn't get mad at you and decide to finish the job.

(From the terrible car stuff topic)

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Solar Coaster posted:

So the original poster of the video had more online that he quickly took down. But, as is the case, someone snagged them and put them on LiveLeak:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3cd_1380579664

You can see them lanesplitting and driving on the sidewalk with pedestrians on it.

You forgot to mention running EVERY red light.

Edit: and riding in the oncoming lane :stare:

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 1, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

Supposedly one of those 3 who were hit is now in a coma in the hospital with multiple broken bones and possibly paralyzed (according to his family).

Probably had nothing to do with the initial attack on the range rover either. I wonder how many civil cases are going to come out of this after all the criminal ones are dealt with.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

He's from Lawrence? That's all they needed to say.

I heard a story about a firefighter from Lawrence. He had moved to Lawrence to take a job at the fire department there and was moving into his new house. When he and his friends took a break to get some lunch, someone broke into the house and stole a lot of what they'd already moved in. On their return to the house they discovered this and called the police. While they were on the phone with the police someone stole the moving truck (and the consequentially the rest of his stuff) right out of the driveway. He tried to get help through the fire department, the police usually look out for firemen, but he never got anything back.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 2, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I always signal when I'm turning or merging, but I have to admit sometimes I wish I didn't. Often when I'm on the highway the guy who was just barely leaving enough room for me to get in will speed up to close the gap the moment I signal my intention to be in front of him. Can't have that, then I'd be beating him!

It is amazing to me how few people actually signal though. It's got to be less than 50% around here.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

bolind posted:

I have major respect for my late granpa; when he was in his late seventies he took the bus down to the police station and turned in his driver's license, stating that now he had driven for many years with only a few minor accidents with only material damage, and that he would hate to end it with hurting someone now. He then took the bus back home again, sold his Daihatsu Charade (which I should have bought off of them if I had half a brain) and distributed the proceeds amongst his grandchildren.

Seriously, your Grandfather was awesome. That's got to be a very hard thing to do, admitting that you're unfit to do something you've always been able to do. I hope I'm able to do that when the time comes, but I doubt I will be. I'm just not that responsible.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Geared Hub posted:

So I just moved to Novato in the Bay Area and commute down the 101 to SF... I noticed a lot of police activity on the marinwood exit for some reason and I saw this report the other night.

http://news.kron4.com/features/marinwood-drivers-behave-badly/

Traffic gets congested between Novoto and San Rafael since there's a bottleneck with no real side street way to get through the area, you have to take the 101. Some drivers figured out that they could hop in an exit/mege lane that's a few miles long to skip traffic, get to the marinwood exit then head right through back onto the highway again.

Said exit ends in a left turn only lane but drivers have been ignoring that so, now angry residents and the police are staking out that ramp all morning this week. And people still blow through a left turn only lane even with 5 cop cars parked on the bridge....

I'm amused. Try could fix it with a concrete island or by forcing all traffic to merge into the main highway. Them again people. May ride the shoulders. :p

Or they could just put in a light and regulate the intersection with that in mind. It sounds to me like some people found a handy way to help alleviate some of the congestion and the nimbys are getting up in arms about it.

There's actually a semi-similar situation in my town: people failing to notice a sign change because they're familiar with the area and change is too difficult of a concept to grasp. We have a rail line running through town, and since it's a fairly wealthy area the town jumped at the chance to become a "quiet zone" when that law came into effect. For those who don't know, quiet zones are areas where trains are not allowed to blow their horns at crossings except in emergencies (normally it is required at all crossings, 2 longs, 1 short, 1 long). The law however states that either the gates must block the road completely in both directions, or there must be a median dividing the road at the crossing to prevent people from going around the gates. For some reason the town chose to lengthen the gates at two roads AND turn them into one-way streets. Naturally, two years later people still occasionally treat them as two-way streets. Probably because they're pretty much the only one-way streets in a town with lots of narrow two-way streets.

Frankly I think quiet zone laws are a stupid idea, but then, I like the sound of train horns.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 9, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Geoj posted:

A traffic light would make matters worse - you'd end up with 2-3 cars routinely stuck in the intersection after the light turns red with nowhere to go.

I'd probably be a bit pissed too if people using an offramp/onramp as an extra lane were adding an extra 5-10 minutes to my commute just to enter or exit the highway. Not to mention traffic merging back with the highway at the end probably makes things worse overall since nobody knows how to merge with traffic.

e: here's the interchange in question: http://goo.gl/maps/kEV5n

Ah, now that I've seen the interchange that makes more sense. That said, why don't they just take the road that goes under the bridge (with the two yields painted on the road) and not even bother with that intersection?

Edit: what the hell? So I guess it's because that's "buses only". They actually have a bus stop on the highway? That's loving bizarre.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 9, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

He does like to know where people live.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm just wondering what happens when stupid people like these who clearly can't drive on safe, normal roads encounter roads like Storrow Drive or the Merritt Parkway. For those who don't know these are both old, narrow roads with no real shoulders and very heavy traffic where everyone drives whatever speed they drat well please because they're too dangerous to try to enforce anything on. The Merritt Parkway also has the advantage of no real on-ramps while Storrow gains and loses lanes like it's going out of fashion.

The Merritt scares me, Storrow I'm used to but at least most people have the sense (or the traffic is too heavy) to go under 70 on it most of the time. The Merritt though is pretty much solid 80+mph and tailgating 10 feet off your bumper (if you're lucky). I've also seen more hardcore lane weavers on the Merritt including a Bentley Continental who was somehow managing to average about 100mph through heavy traffic going about 75.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

TheFrailNinja posted:

You wouldn't believe how many people put slippery steering wheel covers on their cars, ridiculous cushions on their seats and hang stupid poo poo from their rearview mirrors. One of my personal favorites is seeing some faded picture of a loved one shoved into their gauge cluster.

My mother does the seat cushion, hangs stuff from her rear view, and has post-it notes in various places on her dash (including the gauge cluster). I don't understand it, but she's actually a pretty safe and careful driver. I don't understand it personally, even when I had a crappy car and didn't really care about cars in general I didn't let junk pile up in it. Now that I have a car I really care about I don't keep anything except a few essentials in the trunk. You might assume that I'm a neat person but I'm really not, at home I'm a bit of a slob, but when it comes to work and my car and anything I care about I'm pretty drat fastidious.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Not that I'm excusing this behavior, these people need to slow down if they can't handle the road conditions, but it looks like there's one spot which unsettles all of the cars in this video that do stick to their lane. I think some of the people who are intruding into the wrong lane are doing so to avoid that spot. Obviously plenty of people who aren't terrible make it through here without a problem and without straying from their lane, so clearly these guys just need to slow down and stay within their limits.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm willing to bet her old car's bumper cleared bump stops and she didn't realize this one wouldn't. I scraped the lip under my bumper shortly after I got my car trying to turn around after going down an unsigned narrow dead end road. It had low curbs and I thought I would clear them. I was wrong. That said, I only scraped it, I didn't pull it off.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I want a train horn, but only because I like trains. My Volvo has a decently meaty horn for a car, I have no complaints there, but the idea of having a train horn on it is amusing to me none the less. I just have no idea where I would fit the thing.

Plus, being a railfan, I would not settle for one of those fake "train horn"s that they sell. I'd probably want a Nathan M3 as that's what my favorite railroad's diesel locomotives used. In order to power a real train horn I'd need a compressor like this, and it's a bit beyond my budget and my space constraints.

http://aircompressors.oasismfg.com/item/air-compressors/xd3000-extended-duty-air-compressors/item-1050

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Consider yourselves lucky, my state doesn't even let you do that. You get a ticket it's on your record for at least (I think) 5 years.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

Don't remind me :( first instate speeding ticket ever. Oh well, my fault.

E: DB, mass does. Not sure how it works, basically the event is still on your record but your points score goes back down so you can keep your license.

Did you know that inspection tickets in mass put a point on your license? I wouldn't have had to take the course otherwise. I have a stack of those, one accident years ago, and this speeding ticket, and I am going to be learning to not drunk drive a tractor trailer with a suspended license with a bunch of dipshits.

Get your rides inspected, guys :suicide:

Well yeah, I guess what I meant is that it still impacts insurance. Did you know that going without a front plate is a $30 fine, but it also counts as a moving violation for insurance? Gotta love this state.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

There's nothing inherently wrong with xenons, as long as they're aimed correctly. Sure, they're more annoying than normal headlights, but they're legal. If yours are aimed incorrectly however you have no excuse, that's generally easy to fix, and even if it isn't you're going to cause an accident some day if you don't get it fixed.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I am currently on a business trip to Toronto, and I have to say that Canadian drivers are incredibly not-awful. They drive pretty close to the speed limits (even though they are rather low, 100kph is the highest I've seen) most of them don't tailgate, and most of them actually signal turns and lane changes!

It's bizzare, but it's not why I made this post. I made this post because in the three days I've been here I have yet to see a single police car. Earlier this evening I saw a car stopped in the left lane of a 6 lane (3 each way) road. When I first saw it the driver was messing around under the hood. I passed it again 40 mins later and he was staning in the median with his passenger. I passed it again another 40 mins later and it appeared to be abandoned. No cops, no tow truck.

Does Toronto have police, or is everyone so well behaved that they don't need them?

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Cyclists have the right to ride single file and should get out of the way when traffic needs to pass, not block the entire road for a distance too long for anyone to pass them.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Tha Chodesweller posted:

But there was one time I accidentally raced a cop.

Bad Idea.

Professor Bling posted:

When I was 16 I raced a train.

Worst Idea.

That is, assuming you did actually race the train across the crossing.

I've always been a railfan, so long before I started driving I knew enough about train-car encounters to never even consider trying this. That said, with the amount of time I've spent around railroad crossings I can tell you it's a sadly common occurrence.

The other kind of racing a train though, I've done many times. I'll race it to a crossing, but only so I can film it. That was actually my original reason for wanting a faster car, because passing people on the kind of roads that follow the rail lines in rural Massachusetts tends to require a bit more acceleration than a 96 Subaru Legacy could provide.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 26, 2013

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I actually encountered one of those kids who thought that because he had been to racing school he was somehow a god among mortals when it came to driving. That said, the fact that his father got him an M3 when he turned 16 probably had something to do with it. He liked to brag about how his dad took away his keys for 2 weeks because he found the top speed attained on his GPS was 130 mph (he said he went out on 128 at 2am to do it).

I went in his car once, and while my perceptions of what constitutes fast driving have changed since then, I'm pretty sure he was whipping around residential districts doing 60 mph in 20-30 mph zones. I never heard whether he got killed in an accident, but I hope if he did that he didn't take anyone else with him. It's a pity too because he was a pretty cool guy otherwise.

I think he would have driven that way regardless, his father did give him an M3 after all.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Someone needs to start a charity to give crazy rednecks and pikeys who do insane poo poo like this proper video cameras so that the rest of the world can enjoy their lunacy from a safe distance without having to deal with horrible video quality.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I was parked somewhere last summer, and when I came back to my car there was a fuckoff huge SUV (expedition I think) parked next to me, offset in the space so that I could only just barely squeeze between and get in my car. He had an extremely dirty back window and I had a bottle of window cleaner so I expressed my displeasure by writing something along the lines of "Nice parking job fuckstick :)" on his back window. Passive aggressive I know, but I couldn't resist. I hope his 4 kids (going by the stickers on said dirty window) appreciated it.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I'm betting car #2 was on mental cruise control on the SUV's bumper. They probably didn't even notice that there was a light.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Dead Cow posted:

I wonder if GPS navigation has anything to do with it.

It's funny, you'd think GPS would actually alleviate that problem somewhat, since your GPS will just automatically reroute so you don't have to worry that you might get lost if you miss your exit in an unfamiliar area.

I think it's just down to the fact that everything is always done in a hurry all the time in the modern world. We're so obsessed with time and not wasting it that we do stupid things. It doesn't excuse it, but I think that's the reason you see it more now than you did 20 years ago.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

CharlesM posted:

Yes trees are tough. Just one question, is the cop just sitting there while the guy is crawling out?

I would hope not. He's probably laughing his rear end off, which is the only appropriate response.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 14, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I don't understand the need to text while driving. Not even the tiniest bit. If you need to talk to someone while driving just call them, even driving with a phone up to your ear is significantly safer than trying to LOOK at your phone while driving.

Personally I have my phone in a mount on my dash, and if someone calls me the speakerphone is good enough. Maybe my phone's cancellation is just better than most, but I never have any complaints about feedback even though speakerphone goes through the car speakers.

That said, I may be somewhat biased, I send maybe 3-4 text messages at week at most.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Clearly the solution to this is for people to wear open-back headphones instead of ear-buds. They don't block out any surrounding sound, plus they sound better to boot.

Like: http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100-Lightweight-Collapsible/dp/B000089GN3

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that it's illegal. Such nuances as "headphones are illegal in cars if they inhibit your ability to hear sounds around you" are somewhat lost on lawmakers.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 14, 2014

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

Actually, people should just use the PX-100s or the PX-100 IIs, period. They easily outperform headphones costing five to ten times as much, and they take a beating.

Very true. I love these things. The only headphones I've used which were better were my dad's $700 Grados.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

kastein posted:

I usually come blazing up the ramp at 80 (unless I can't manage that based on the corners and space available) so I can choose which gap I'm going for and brake to match with it instead of coming in going slower than traffic and hoping a good spot happens to come along.

If that scares people, gently caress em, they can deal.

If I see someone puttering along on the ramp going way too slow and I realize in time, I usually hang back and go even slower than them until the apex of the last corner, then hammer it, merge, and hope everyone behind me realizes I just did them a favor and gave them more space to accelerate than they would have given themselves otherwise.

Yes, I've beaten sportscars out of entrance ramps in a beat up jeep with 230k miles on it and a blown stock suspension before. Learn to drive, fuckers :v:

I'm pretty much the same way, though unfortunately I'm most often stuck behind someone going way slower than I prefer. That said, I'm not driving a beat up jeep with 230k miles on it, so I have no trouble getting up to speed late if I have to, provided said slow person doesn't merge in at 50 mph and then sit at that speed while a truck quickly approaches from behind. I try to avoid dodging in front of trucks doing 70, even if I know I'll be doing 80 by the time they get close.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I prefer this one personally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT8Eh7BBqOQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

So I nearly got to experience a small-overlap crash test from the dummy's position on my way home from work today. I was on my way down Route 1 which is a 55 mph 2 lane road with lots of hills but virtually no curves in this area. Suddenly the car in front of me dodges hard to the right, and I see a van coming at me at a combined speed of around 110 mph about halfway over the line onto my side of the road. I luckily was able to dodge aside in time, but when I looked in my rearview the guy drifted even further into my lane, then pulled hard back onto his side of the road just in time to avoid a head-on collision with the car behind me. He nearly went off the road on the other side from over correcting. I'm assuming he was probably texting.

To top it off, about a minuite later a jeep passed me going the other way with no lights on. At 5:30pm. It was completely dark out and I couldn't even see him until he was on top of me.