Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

KozmoNaut posted:

I have three settings for my lights:

1) Low beam on, cluster lights off
2) Parking lamps on, cluster lights on
3) Low beam on, cluster lights on

If the engine's on, at least some kind of outside illumination is happening. Originally position 1 is supposed to turn everything off, but this is the EU, son! We can't allow that kind of thing!

Also, I can't turn on my rear fog light without turning on the front fog lights as well :france:
My car has four settings for the lights:
1) Off
2) Parking lights on, cluster lights on
3) Low beams on, cluster lights on
4) High beams on, cluster lights on

I have two settings for the lights:
1) Low beams on, cluster lights on
2) High beams on, cluster lights on

...and it's a low-end car so there arent any fog lights in front, and :911: so there aren't any in back.

Splizwarf posted:

I was driving a Mercedes R230 recently, just tooling around trying to get emissions monitors to set, and the thing had the cruise control on a stalk right where the turn signal stalk is on everything else, so every time I tried to signal a right turn the van would make a bumpy acceleration hop.
Do you mean that there's a separate stalk for the cruise control, or that the cruise control is where the turn signal normally is and the turn signal is somewhere else? The turn signal stalk on mine also has controls for cruise control (switch near the end and a button inside the end), wipers (twist a section of the stalk) and high beams (push forward and release to switch from low to high beam and back again).

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Sep 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

InterceptorV8 posted:

I also want to meet the person who came up with this, blindfold them and beat them with a rubber hose.

Oh yeah? I've got a '94 Suburban, I got four of them shits.

...On the armrest, in a logical configuration. And they all work. :smug:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

PhoenixWing posted:

It's absolutely terrifying when the lights poo poo themselves and just flash red. It turns into a 12 lane game of extreme chicken, where the only way to pass is to close your eyes and slam on the throttle.

After the derecho in northern Virginia last year there were about five traffic lights in the whole of Arlington and Fairfax County that worked, just at the biggest intersections, all the rest were dead... and 99% of people treated them like a giant four-way stop, leaving room for the 1% of them who were too dumb to bother to drive like nuts without causing much mayhem. It actually loving worked. It probably helped a lot that the radio stations were telling people to do that, but I was amazed that it worked so well on 6-lane roads with inner-suburb traffic.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

SFH1989 posted:

It was the middle of a TSD rally

Wait what :stare:

...you were rallying that? I'm guessing that drives about the same as my '94 Suburban, and if I get near a curve at any speed other than "kinda slow" I'm pulling bits of seat cushion out my rear end later on.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 8, 2013

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

I think it should be mandatory for every sixteen year old to get signed up for a week long race driving course.
:stare: This could not possibly end badly.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Teaching them to drive like shitcocks well ensures that they never stop driving like shitcocks because since they're good at it, there will never be any adverse consequences. I'm sure you'd love it if every single other car on the road was driven by the same enraged nut in that black BMW flashing his high beams at you.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Geoj posted:

Watched this guy park his bro truck (he ran his front/driver wheel across the island and still managed to park like that), and then he and his girlfriend were bitching on their way into the store about how "some people don't know how to park" after she had trouble getting out of the passenger side.stuf

I've got a Suburban, I know the pain of parking stuff like that. Solution: If there's just a single parking spot with a car or curb on both sides, I just back in. I'm pretty good at judging where the back end is, and the mirrors work fine so it's really not difficult and doesn't involve hopping curbs or pushing cars out of the way.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

nigga crab pollock posted:

Yo it's hardly tailgating when you're a reasonable and safe distance behind the other car, dickweed.

Fifty feet is a pretty reasonable distance when there's no other cars on the highway and you can see over the car in front of you

If there's no other cars, poo poo, I'm 200 feet back or more. Or I just pass them.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

How about we institute a bounty policy? If you see a driver texting, you are allowed to dispense any means necessary to get them off the road. To make sure this isn't abused, we can make phones take a picture out front and rear camera every time a text is written. So if you slam some person who was minding his own business, you face heavy fines/jail time/thunder dome/gulag, otherwise you collect a prize

A man can dream.

...But what about stoplights? :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I don't generally drive like a nut, but I'll almost always floor it on a highway onramp.

...I try to be moving at least 45mph by the time I have to merge, that's the only way I'll manage. My car ain't quick. Whenever I let someone else drive I always tell them not to be afraid of the pedal, but they tend to just be terrified of everything driving a tired old Suburban.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

xzzy posted:

45 won't cut the mustard around here unfortunately. I have to keep the hammer down until I'm pushing 65 or else I end up a hood ornament as I try to merge in. Really loving sucks on those interchanges where the on ramp is only about 100 meters long before it turns into an off ramp.

Whoever the guy was that designed those really needs a solid kick in the nuts.
More than 45 is a little too much to ask for. 210hp ain't quite enough to drag around 5100 pounds of American iron, and a squidgy old slushbox doesn't help. Plus people around here have the annoying habit of driving with zero regard to either the speed limit or the driving dynamics of a particular stretch of highway, so while it's basically impossible to maintain 75mph like I want to, it's not that difficult to merge at only 45 or 50.

I might end up getting a more aggressive exhaust eventually. If people can hear the engine screaming they might figure out that the reason I'm only puttering along at 50 in a 65 zone is not because I'm an idiot, it's because that's the fastest the car goes up a mountain. :v:

Beach Bum posted:

When I'm in the Miata, on ramps are my lateral-G threshold testing zones. Around here, I usually have to ease off when I get to Interstate pavement.

I also get upset when I have to share with someone who doesn't share my joy of on/off ramps. GET OUTTA MY WAY I'M TRYING TO HAVE FUN IN MY GUTLESS WONDER! :argh:
I did this in the Taurus I used to have (hey stop laughing, it was all I had!) but getting this Suburban near a turn at any speed other than "kinda slow" makes me go all :stare: and I end up pulling bits of seat cushion out my asscrack later. It disturbs me that a friend I lent the truck while I was out of town said he was impressed by the handling... I didn't even know "handling" was something it was capable of doing at all, let alone well.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 18, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

In that first shot I thought the green car was totally hosed, mostly since (ahem) it was the last one in the line.

...It wasn't. The truck still ran into it, rather than pushing another car into it. :gonk:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

MrLonghair posted:

It's five car lengths, not five prick-lengths damnit :argh:

...But five car lengths is shorter, I thought a longer distance was safer? :v:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

:spergin: Alright, you've done it. I'm a big blinky-lights nerd.

First, there are plenty of areas in the States where police primarily use blue lights. This is most common in the South, as well as New England and Massachusetts. The video in question is from New York, which is one of several states where all-blue lights are used by volunteer firefighters, but this is clearly not a firefighter's POV. Local and state emergency vehicles in New York use red lights to the front and amber/red or blue/red to the rear. Federal emergency vehicles and law enforcement vehicles in New York are exempt from those rules so they generally use red/blue. But the general tendency is to use red on the left and blue on the right, and the video isn't good enough quality to tell what's going on on the left, and frankly it doesn't matter since anywhere in the States any warning light that's not amber, green or white is supposed to communicate a request for right-of-way.

Second, a vehicle with warning lights requesting right of way often uses the lights to do dangerous things in traffic like driving too fast and running red lights. This is perfectly acceptable, as long as the driver is doing those things knowing that it is his own responsibility to drive like that with due regard to the safety of others. What this involves is referred to among emergency responders as clearing intersections - slow down as much as you need to, to include stopping and waiting, to be absolutely certain that there is no oncoming traffic that either doesn't want to stop, or hasn't noticed you. Here's an example of a cop doing it right - he may have even had a green light but he still slows down, prepared to stop, and makes sure everyone sees him before he continues. Same thing here. The border patrol agent didn't do this, and continued into the intersection before he could see the guy that hit him. It doesn't help his case that he wasn't using a siren, which is usually (but not always) required to legally break traffic rules.

And lastly, watching the video closely, the video quality is pretty bad but I can still see the BP van in question at about 3 seconds in. My eyes aren't the best but I would have seen the van earlier than that, so the driver clearly had plenty of time to slow down and let him by but continued at full speed.

The end result, in my opinion, is that there was wrongdoing on the part of both vehicles in the accident, but the driver of a responding emergency vehicle is better trained (at least he's probably seen a powerpoint on safely driving an emergency vehicle) and will likely be held to a higher standard. The BP agent is probably hosed in this case, but the driver that hit him might get dinged as well, just not as bad.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 12, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

Here in Texas it seems to be a threat. I've have people slam on the brakes on an 85mph toll road, or lose their poo poo entirely and follow you wherever you're going. Most of the people move when you come up but I've all but given up on the brights.
Near as I can tell, flashing high beams means one of three things: It might be a good idea to have your headlights on at 10pm, cop running radar ahead, or MOVE rear end in a top hat. Frankly I never had the idea that it was any variation at all of "scuse me I'm in a rush." :shrug:

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Flint Ironstag posted:

^^^^^^ I hope there is a story with that pic.
There is.

TLDR it fell off the back of a pickup, driver fined $200 and yelled at.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I turn on my directional whenever there is a bend in the road of more than 80 degrees in the span of a few car lengths, even if there is no intersection, then quickly turn it off and hope no one noticed.
God I'm glad I'm not the only one that does this. I don't do it often but it pisses me off when I do it.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

SyHopeful posted:

Alright Americans post your gas receipts :smug:

Not exactly a receipt, but close enough. Those who dare to embiggenclick will be greeted with just $58 and change. I started with about a quarter tank, ended up paying $121 and change. And that's the cheapest gas station in town too.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

N is for Nipples posted:

I want that loving bumper sticker.

Here are a few. And here's the rest. I get some good reactions from it, people love it.

edit: A lot of you are gonna like this one. Just make sure it's not a 5-speed, or one with a different position for reverse.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Aug 20, 2014

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Michael Scott posted:

^ Don't skip this, watch it.
Glad I did, holy crap.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

CharlesM posted:

I like it when sentences end with propositions.

"You're a drat dirty criminal. 80 hours of community service, in bed with me, starting now. C'mere you :heysexy:"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

beejay posted:

What's the explanation for every semi that sees me coming in the left lane at 75mph and cuts me off at the last second doing 63 to pass another truck doing 62.5?
It's always reassuring when I get opportunities like this to make sure my ABS works. :geno: