Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
I know when to turn towards, and when to turn away from the curb. I also religiously use my ebrake when parking. I've got most of my family doing the same, too, after berating them about it. <:smug:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Solar Coaster posted:

Today for example, I was driving in the tail end of a major thunderstorm we had last night, so it was still raining quite heavily. Sure enough, saw 3 cars without any lights on, in the dark, in the heavy rain.

Replace "rain" with "freak snowstorm from hell", and you have Denver in a nutshell.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Astroman posted:

30 years from now a lot of drivers will just think they run on fairydust and moonbeams.

Oh yeah, well my dads' prius can beat up your dads' prius. He put extraVOLT batteries innit! <:mad:>

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
People out this way are still scared and confused by a Diverging Diamond Interchange.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm hoping run out

[img-US-in-20-years-australia-in-2]

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

johnny sack posted:

What in the hell is this craziness?

Citroen

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Ferremit posted:

All our new toyotas at work have the "Put your seatbelt on you tard" chime

Its the first thing thats disabled. The second one is the "YOU LEFT YOUR KEYS IN THE IGNITION WITH THE DOOR OPEN!" chime on the hilux's. Yes i know that, I WANT TO LISTEN TO THE drat RADIO!

American tuning in a nutshell. :allears:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

That's almost as good as up by where you live, NDOT didn't grind down before they slapped more asphalt down at the bridge overcrossing at Red Rock? Stead? So now it's a 13'11" instead of a 14'1", Nevada is a 14 foot state. That bridge is gonna get beat like UNLV.

poo poo is bouncy, yo. :dance:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
..and if you refuse to convert, they'll send a Google Agent to your home and place of business with some old chatlogs that you thought were lost to the annals of time to help persuade you. They weren't.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
..and how about those pussies and their blue neoprene gloves, huh? Sepsis is natures' way of telling you to work better. :haw:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Mooseykins posted:

Well that's a major inscentive for me to not provide a courtesy car. You know the joke about the fastest car in the world being a rental car? Well courtesy cars fall under the same treatment, so i don't want to pay for a courtesy car for people to bomb around in and generally not give a gently caress about. You see how they treat their own cars, they'll be even less caring and mechanically-sympathetic to one they don't own.

The last two courtesy cars I was given were a 2001 95 3.0 V6t :frogsiren: with 150,000 miles in late 2009. The electric seats didn't work, but everything else was awesome.. except for the turbo lag and 18mpg city I averaged in it.

The other one was a 1991 9000T hatch (in 2010), with electrical tape covering virtually every light on the console, but they were so bright that they blinked enough to spark an impromptu rave in the early evening.. or perhaps that was the at least two broken mounts between the engine and transmission rather than percussion, and a very untrustworthy 3rd - with a whole 70,000 miles on it.

What really annoys me is the number of stupid Mopar owners with the "Always On" DRLs that idiot drivers have no ideas that they can:
  • Turn them off (which seems to be getting more difficult, requiring more than a fuse pull)
  • Turn on headlights

Every 90s import owner with fake HIDs rattling around loosely like some lazy eyed bitch. gently caress them too.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

thebigcow posted:

Still irritating when they're right behind you and somehow filling up all three mirrors.

Thats when you, with a car newer than 1986, hit the Memory X position on your seat, which causes it to tilt the mirrors outward, and upward, toward, but not completely blinding THEIR line of vision. <:smug:>

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

DJ Commie posted:

They actually detract from good low-beam vision because they illuminate the hell out of the near field. Honestly, you have n vision and adding to the close light will detract from the ability to see distance.

That's when you kick on the fogs. :haw:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

You'd be surprised at how many can't figure out they are blinding themselves.

Not really.. I've been to Ferntucky before.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Oh this is much more out in the great wide open. Massholes/New Yorkers seem to be the most common, followed by Californians.

Do the needful, goon sir. :patriot:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I've yet to meet someone in real life who actually knows what a rear fog light is... not that it's a conversation I have often :v:

I had to train some people in a redneck Scandinavian shop exactly what that button was for. A few times.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Did you also have to give them a lesson on how to correctly say "SAAB"?

Nah. Just took a few beers and they were on their way..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Protocol7 posted:

He blatantly runs an orange and it's just like, hey buddy, we both would have been legal to go if you had been going with the flow of traffic.

What the gently caress is an orange light? Hyperbole, or color blindness? :q:

I've been strongly considering getting a dashcam for whenever I start driving regularly again. Nothing is quite as fun as an undocumented, unlit torn up highway in the middle of bumblefuck with uneven lanes. God forbid someone wasn't driving below the speed limit because it is pitch loving black out.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Drunken Lullabies posted:

There's 3 things I see around here that annoy me to no end: lovely HID's improperly retrofitted onto cars they don't belong on, people who are always on the gas/brake and don't understand that you can coast to slow down on an empty straight-away, and people who come to a complete stop in the middle of the road to make a right turn when it's not necessary. The irony here is that it's usually hybrids that drive like this, and I have a live MPG gauge and an OBC that constantly reminds me that I get a solid 10-15mpg less whenever I'm following a hybrid. Oh the irony.

Read up on Regenerative Braking. They're still incredibly obnoxious twats, though.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
One nice thing about having non-US cars is the button for the rear fog lights. They're usually tucked away where the reverse lights are - just a bit brighter. If they get too aggressive, you could just kick that on and suddenly they think you are in reverse.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

Uhm.....I think you stumbled into the wrong forum.

No, no.. I'd like to hear a bit more about this. :allears:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

I'd argue it's because queuing theory is never once mentioned in public education.

Everyone is a special snowflake that doesn't have to wait in line for their lunch now?

The truth is: People are rude and selfish. When someone decides they're going to be 'oh so smart' and try to not get caught in the slow-down lane because they need to get off, but think its smarter to ride the shoulder than wait their turn, I'll usually edge out just enough to keep that from happening. Wait your loving turn.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

Maybe to you, but I don't attribute to malice what can be explained as stupidity.

Occam's Razor would also illustrate that since they (and you) are at a McDonalds two-menus-one-queue setup, that everyone would be familiar with it. Given the number of times someone does this against the likelihood that they have been there before would you continue to assume err is still just ignorance, as they'd most likely also have had someone honk/shout/set them straight before?

Related: Folks and I stopped off at McD's for a $1 iced tea while waiting to do some charity work. They weren't sure if they wanted anything to eat, or not. I politely motioned for the man behind us to go ahead and order, because we were not ready. The shift manager laid into him for like 30 seconds of 'THEY WERE FIRST!', while we tried to get her to notice that we let him go ahead of us. He took it in stride, but I was a bit flummoxed - not only did she notice this, but she was openly chastising the guy in front of about 20 other people that weren't staff, rather than just saying "Hey, buddy, get in line."

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Is this how they mold tracks for Caterpillars?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Delicious frozen pork waiting to be covered in sweet, sweet bbq sauce and stain your shirt.

What part of a pig looks like that? :stonklol:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KozmoNaut posted:

Think smaller, and with more legs.

G-G-G-Grandma!?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Haifisch posted:

Are you a cop? No? Then it's not your job to punish other people for breaking traffic laws(or traffic common courtesy), and you don't have any way of effectively punishing them that isn't introducing a road hazard or causing pointless congestion.

..and you are winning favor by being the voice of reason by whinging about a flippant statement in a car forum full of lunatics, assholes, and full-of-poo poo posters. Except for the good ones. :v:

Please, do continue, we don't have enough mother hens in our lives..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Motronic posted:

TAXI REVENGE. I didn't give a poo poo if they hit me or not. And guess what? They cared about getting hit more than I did! I never had the vehicle to test this before and it has given me much better manhattan driving skills.

Nobody I knew could understand why I drove a G Body in San Francisco. Except when I was passing SFO, and all of the taxis slowed the gently caress down as they saw me lumbering in the far right lane that they were going to be merging onto. Sure, parking was impossible, but its not every day a taxi slams on the brakes because they don't trust you.

For a brief moment in time, I also had the worlds' most expensive G Body I was driving a new SAN to San Jose.

Ringo Star Get posted:

These are people you share the Tail of the Dragon with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoBg9vmKbz0

1:30 :negative:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Nov 26, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

some texas redneck posted:

In any event, just go with traffic goddamnit. Don't be speed racer, don't be Granny Blue Hair doing 20 in a 60.

This, in Denver, is impossible. 90mph in a construction zone? What? You can't hit 105!?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

War Bunny posted:

I've never seen one of these before, but I do get furious at people who for some reason can't figure out how a roundabout works.

I take one of these DDIs almost every day (now). It used to be one of the busiest intersections. It's still busy, but nowhere near as much. People are afraid of it. v:v:v

The problem I have with roundabouts is that people here in the US don't seem to know what their purpose is, and they use them rather than speedbumps to hinder traffic. So, Joe Isuzu Bob Ford just lifts his truck another 4" and guns it across. I've seen more accidents from inside lanes forcing their way out to where they want to be (rather than circling again) too many times for comfort.

Google Maps is 3 years out of date, or I'd show you the glory of not two, not three, but FOUR roundabouts in a row. In a 25mph zone. I need to get a bloody dashcam, but I doubt 16GB would be enough space to record going through it.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

So how did you like the weather today? I had over half a foot of snow on my truck, it's snowing. So that means everyone in a white car must turn their loving headlights off. Good times indeed.

Also that loving roundabout over by Scheels is loving retarded. Just because of that damned turn lane(s). You shouldn't have to cut across lanes of traffic to go straight drat it, so help me, I'm gonna lock in my hubs, don't make me loving run over that cocksucking airplane I swear on my mum.

It wasn't really all that bad. I grew up with snow, I can drive in it. :smuggo:

Hell, this was my 'pilot' snow drive in the new DD with unfamiliar (unmatched and lovely all-season) tires. I did fine, taking 395 all the way down to town, and opting for Business Loop on the return due the number of other assholes unable to find the road. I heard an awesome Deep Purple live track between Lemon and Golden - I had never heard Smoke that awesome while driving before.

I did watch a WRX in Subablue and pink wheels heading over the hill to Red Rock at about 70, and destroying their jeans while slowing to 35 while attempting to maintain their lane. I politely waved as I passed. Also, a Q37 near Panther Valley onramp who failed to negotiate a rather, well, simple curve.

I'm still waiting for Scheels to be torn down and be replaced with an outlet mall. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

395 turned into a massive clusterfuck yesterday, they didn't put anything down and I saw a couple of people slow slide around and Northbound was a parking lot, with the plow drivers just chillin' out in the middle of it.

You noticed that too? It was like that from Susanville all the way down to Carson, from what I've heard and seen. The drive back was grand today (and will be again shortly, I'm sure) - some idiots decided that they could finally go about 50mph or so once they got past Panther Valley. I was in the left lane after passing a slowboat, and someone from the right lane decided to cut in before it narrowed to two lanes, almost shoving me into a plow on the left side of the road by cutting me off, despite my blinkers being on.

If you ever get a double-flash 'safe to merge' or low beams flash at night from a SAAB, there is probably an 80% chance its me on this coast. :mario:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

devmd01 posted:

Same here, something like 10% of the eligible residents of my zip code have a carry permit.

Because the ability to carry means an altercation with a god loving redneck, right? :jerkbag:

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hey Internet Rambos, don't deliberately antagonize someone who is already irrationally aggressive.

[...]

E: jesus gently caress don't brandish either, even by accident

Remember the forum you are in. Not less than a handful got great custom titles for eThreatening(tm) people who may scratch or dent their car. Not that I don't agree.. hell, I keep a beater just to avoid that sort of thing.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Today, I actually witnessed a semi-safe tailgater.

Had some idiot in a newer Dodge Avenger trying to crawl up my rear end today as I headed into town, maintaining a safe speed from the vehicle ahead of me. Of course, there were some slowdowns, but there was one "HOLY gently caress BRAKES" moment when the dumbass ahead of me turned hard into the alternate lane, and person who he swerved in front of moved into my lane. That really shored up my slow braking abilities. :v:

The shithead behind me hit the brakes hard, and turned towards the shoulder at the last second. Thank loving god.. this car took me 8 months to find. :hydrogen:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

FogHelmut posted:

It was a pretty new car and he had side mirrors.

In his defense, it was a Fiesta. Those side mirrors are likely decoration only.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Wait until you signal right, and people assume you are tossing a lit cigarette. :v:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cocoa Crispies posted:

2014 Fiestas have side mirrors with little integrated blind spot mirrors on them.

Those are called "Passengers" over here. :v:

I admit, it was just a cheap shot at Fiestas.

v- Also more reliable.

Viggen fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 17, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Negromancer posted:

Even to this day [..] any hit to my rib cage will drop me to the ground since its one of those fun injuries that will never fully heal.

Don't you love it when you try to reach out beyond oh, a foot, and stretch to grab something? Isn't it loving AWESOME?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
If two cars are driving down the freeway, and one is on a treadmill..

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Beach Bum posted:

You removed the tread before taking this picture... right?! :stonk:

Well it still appears round, so..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Beach Bum posted:

I couldn't behave with such a thing. Texting while Driving would take on a whooole new dimension :unsmigghh:

They're only about :10bux: :10bux:, too..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-12V-Red-LED-Message-Sign-Moving-Scrolling-Display-Board-for-Car-shop-windows-/251395542985

eBay posted:

Support :English character,digital,punctuation & Russian

Блядь! Блядь! Блядь!