Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I had some jerkoff blame me for their grille falling off back in 03 because it fell off when I bumped it trying to get to the hood release. I even offered them some 5 minute epoxy to put it back on with :mad:

Fucker came back the next day and whined to the manager, manager said he'd ask me what happened, rear end in a top hat called corporate (because he didn't instantly get what he wanted) who gave us all a proper tongue lashing and bent over double for the dickhead, then gave him a ton of coupons and poo poo and paid for a new grille for him.

If I ever meet that guy again he can give my cock a tongue lashing. Piece of poo poo, I even went out of my way to help you with your hooptie when it fell the gently caress apart because I touched something next to it.

MrChips posted:

The hilarious thing about this statement is that flashy cars attract way more attention from men than from women. After all, how often do you see women pull out their cellphones to take pictures of Ferraris and Lambos (or classic muscle cars, for that matter)?

My largest, slowest, loudest, smelliest, ugliest vehicle has resulted in the most hot women honking and waving. So I think you're right.

I have to say, being seated about 6 feet in the air gave me a great view, too :pervert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I dunno, a lot of the stuff I'm seeing here is insulting people for not knowing how to change a wheel. Why the hell should everyone know that? There's AAA, a million tire shops around the country, and tires hardly ever blow out, at least in my area. A lot of cars don't come with spares and the tools for it now, some cars have run-flats. And even if you know what you're doing, it's a pain in the rear end to do it on the side of the road and requires some muscle.

Passenger car tires take muscle? poo poo, I must be a regular weight lifting champion, because I thought anything 225/75r15 and under was a one finger job. How the hell can anyone carry groceries or children if they can't pick up some dinky rear end car tire/rim or at least the donut spare?

BrokenKnucklez posted:

What's so confusing about roundabouts? They keep traffic moving as long as there are no idiots floundering around in there. And the best part... miss your turn? gently caress drive in a circle and try again.

I see you have never been to Massachusetts. I saw someone go the wrong way around a roundabout a while ago and a friend saw an old lady throw her car in reverse and back up around one. :wtc:

rscott posted:

It's me. I'm the lane weaving rear end in a top hat who tailgates you constantly. Mostly because you're doing 61 MPH in the far left lane like an rear end in a top hat. I've tried flashing my lights. I've tried sticking my hand out the window/sunroof and waving at you to move over. Nothing ever works because you are loving oblivious even when you aren't on your phone or loving with your navigation system or telling your kids that you will pull this car over RIGHT THIS INSTANT IF YOU DON'T STOP HITTING YOUR SISTER BILLY I SWEAR TO loving GOD. And then when I finally see an open stretch of highway in the right lane so I can finally get around this fucktard and signal that I'm changing lanes they pick THAT loving INSTANT to decide to move over. Not the god drat mile and a half before that that they were holding up everyone behind them. So now I look like an rear end in a top hat as I'm sawing left and right on the wheel because you can't check your loving mirrors before doing anything at all.

I mean am I the only one who makes a visual circuit of their mirrors and the horizon when I'm driving? I mean I mostly do it so I'm a step ahead of any cops and I can slow down and not get pulled over it but it's pretty helpful for avoiding accidents too.

Same. Lead, follow, I don't give a gently caress, just get the hell out of my way.

I really miss the airhorn (came off a fire truck...) I had on my old cherokee. I should put that on the current daily beater, actually. Until then, riding a rumble strip usually gets through to the dipshits who spend their entire drive doing 60 in a 65 in the left lane oblivious to everything around them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Interesting car came in earlier, beat to hell 4 door civic with BEER $3 a pint painted on the rear window with 2 tapped kegs in the back seat and I can't imagine there's any way at all that could go wrong.

Me and officer Rabbit are going to stand here while you two drink the whole keg.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

He means the low beam is so out of whack that it's already high, and high beam is just a joke.

Related, can someone please explain to people that, if I give way to your oncoming lane at night, don't flash your high beams at my face to say "thanks".

I call those airplane spotting lights.

What really gets me is how many of my friends (including ones who are actual auto enthusiasts) take the "lol who cares why do you bother to aim your headlights" approach to things. I just don't understand it, to the point that I've actually adjusted people's headlights for them so they lit up the road instead of the left headlight hitting the ground about 30 feet in front of the right side of the car and the right headlight being great for reading street signs (you know, the ones on giant support structures 20 feet over the highway.)

Aim your drat headlights people. They light things up better when they point at what they're supposed to illuminate.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I got road raged by some dipshit in a lovely 90s caddy with terrible HIDs (which were blinding me via the rearview) tonight so I "beat" him and then let him win and used him as a rolling radar sponge while he did everything in his power to stay in front of me.

Sadly none of the usual locations had speed traps :sigh: really had my hopes up for that.

Feeding the bears, one douchebag at a time :haw: for some reason guys in ratty cars with crappy HIDs always want to race, so I let them soak up radar on my commute as often as I can.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Usually they drive with the high beams on if one or more regular headlights burns out. Or usually they just drive with the high beams on anyway.

:downs: but i thought the headlights werent on unless the little blue light on the dash came on!!! :downs:

I have quite literally had people tell me that.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah if you think people are stupid about remembering to turn their headlights on while driving, try getting them to remember to turn their DRLs off. Not gonna happen.

I got stuck behind some idiot in the left lane doing the same speed as the person in the middle lane for ten miles on the mass pike today. Predawn, dark grey metallic car, very asphalt-colored, no lights on, puttering along at 67mph. They completely ignored it when I finally got past them on the right, put my hand out the window and pointed them over at the middle lane. Maybe I should have used my middle finger to do the pointing :shrug:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I sometimes find it difficult to determine the exact distance to me of bikes with only one headlight. I find it hard to do the same for the many, many domestics around here missing their right headlight from last weekend's DUI. At least the latter sometimes have a dangling corner light on the opposite side that you can use to figure out how close they are in the dark.

I usually wait until I'm 100% sure but I can definitely see how it can happen if you're impatient trash.

Saturns completely ruin this method of distance measurement. loving things always look really far away, but never far enough away.

Also, I had some idiot jaywalk right in front of me while I was driving the 5 ton to the parts store a few years ago, because everything else I owned was broken or broken and halfway through being repaired. I'm not sure why he thought that was a good idea but he picked up the pace a bit when I hit the airhorns and locked up all ten tires trying to avoid turning him into red goo. That camo must work better than I expected but I can't really say much for his sense of hearing.

e: happened right here in front of this AutismZone: http://goo.gl/maps/Vvqhq

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 23, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Looks like a bunch of douchebags who just watched mad max for the first time to me.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

He's from Lawrence? That's all they needed to say.

I heard a story about a firefighter from Lawrence. He had moved to Lawrence to take a job at the fire department there and was moving into his new house. When he and his friends took a break to get some lunch, someone broke into the house and stole a lot of what they'd already moved in. On their return to the house they discovered this and called the police. While they were on the phone with the police someone stole the moving truck (and the consequentially the rest of his stuff) right out of the driveway. He tried to get help through the fire department, the police usually look out for firemen, but he never got anything back.

Having grown up a few towns over from that poo poo hole I completely believe everything you said.

(I grew up in brahdfaaaaaaaaahd, the pretentious side of Haverhill. We were the ones fixing the family cars in the driveway and making the neighbors unhappy about their property values.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Up here turn signals are a sign of weakness, and also sorta giving away your next move. I use them, but if I suspect someone is going to be a dick about letting me merge in (generally when they've been hogging the left lane and going absolutely nowhere for several miles, it's guaranteed) I hit the stalk with my finger as I turn the wheel to merge, gently caress em, if they want to lollygag around in the road I'm not going to give them any warning. The law here states that you must signal at least 100 feet before making your move, so at 80mph (90% of my commute is 80+, or I get tailgated) you only actually have to signal for 0.85 seconds. :getin:

Hazards in NYC (so glad I got out of that hellhole after being stuck there for work) are a "haha I feel like parking in this lane, whichever one it happens to be" signal. Up here, they are an "ATTENTION POLICE: I AM DOING SOMETHING I SHOULDN'T BE" signal, though generally use mine when I see a bad jam-up ahead and am worried about getting rear ended by some inattentive driver behind me.

I generally am the rustiest, most dented, dirtiest vehicle in any traffic situation, so most people aren't willing to play "I am GOING TO WIN DAMMIT" and try to block me out of a lane, because they are going to lose.

I don't like driving like a dick really, but then everyone else fumblefucks around on the road like a bunch of scared, lost sheep and I go from "I'm going to drive nicely" to "if you don't get out of my drat way I am going around you, keep right except to pass is just as much a law as no passing on the right" pretty quickly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

My dad did the same thing, took me out at first snowfall the year I got my license, stuck me in a large unplowed parking lot and told me to drive like a maniac and figure out how it responded. In a RWD dodge 2500 van with an open rear diff. :getin:

That thing would break the rear end loose if you dared to attempt going uphill on wet pavement, it was drat near unmanageable in snow unless we had like 600lbs of sandbags and old cast iron window weights in the back. Which we usually did in the winter.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I back up to within a few feet of a wall and use my side mirrors to check my brake lights. Glows red when I stomp on it? Guess that side works.

For the CHMSL, I unscrew it, let it hang down, and see it light up in the rearview. Then I bolt it back in, the intermittent connection breaks again, and I get pulled over for it being dead, again.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I believe newer Mercedes cars will flash their brake lights at like 120hz when you brake really hard. BMW and Audi have been toying with similar things, such as extra-powerful brake light LEDs that only light up under emergency braking or brake lights that become bigger the harder you brake.

It's a good idea, but I don't know how the current legislation sees it.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2006-01-30/html/E6-1079.htm is a decent read for people who are interested in this.

Basically, the feds gave MB USA a temporary exemption to FMVSS 108, which requires steadily illuminated brake lamps, for up to 5000 cars. They had asked for a change to FMVSS 108 to allow all their cars to have it, but the evidence isn't conclusive that they reduce chances of a collision, so a small number of vehicles were exempted so that the results can be studied to allow more informed decisions about whether to modify FMVSS 108.

I believe their flash rate is 4Hz, which works out to 240/min. 120Hz would be a barely perceptible "buzz", in fact the PWM drive on most modern LED tail lights is probably around that fast. You can always tell if a car has LED tails if they come on instantly, go off instantly, and produce a series of afterimages instead of a solid streak of light if you sweep your eyes past them quickly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

None that I've ever seen, from looking at cars with normal brake lights and LED CHMSLs, the LEDs light up instantly while the normal brake lights take a fraction of a second to warm up. Also on cars with normal indicators and LED repeaters in the wing mirrors, the difference is obvious.

Your LED floods are probably just made to be cheap, perhaps there's a power supply that needs to start up or something, they're not made for instant response.

Agreed. I'd bet that the power converter (probably 120V to 400V DC rectify-double/APFC converter, then 400V to whatever LED voltage buck/boost and PWM driver) just takes a few fractions of a second to start up. On a car, it's going direct from 12V to LED driver/PWM system, so it takes a lot less time even without careful design of the driver circuit.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Some oblivious idiot went to switch out of the left lane into the middle lane today without using his blinker, checking his blind spots, or for that matter looking at the mirrors or anything except his navel. While I was switching out of the right lane into the same middle lane while using my blinker, with what can only be described as a very haggard exhaust system that isn't exactly easy to ignore.

I beeped at him and got a lot of angry gestures, a middle finger, and then a bunch of high beam flashing (when he pulled in behind me) in return.

Apparently this is my fault.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

SierraEchoBravo posted:

I see this a lot whenever I'm headed southbound into Boston on 93, or when I get into the Longwood district where a bunch of large hospitals are. Usually around Fenway. BMWs and Audis with Boston Children's or Dana Farber parking stickers hauling rear end, mostly during the (relatively) lighter traffic around early afternoon and later at night. Having spent a good amount of time with relatives in hospitals, as much as it irks me that they could be abusing their privilege I've personally met enough doctors that have gone way beyond the call of duty to be there when patients need them to be to know that in all likelihood they are responding to an emergency.

People haul-rear end on 93 anyways though, its not uncommon for traffic in the right lanes to be cruising at 85+ during weekdays. With the kind of drivers we have around here, its like the physical manifestation of this thread.

I90, too. Which makes my 68 mile (each way) commute take under an hour if no one is retarded and wads it up across 3 lanes.

Today I was going with the flow of traffic (that meant 85mph, at that moment) and had to get out of the way for a cop, who was probably doing at least 95 to 100. I saw him coming a good quarter to half mile behind me. No one even slowed down when he went by.

On the other hand, have I already told the story about how I got finger-wagged by some bluehair in the right turn lane at an intersection with a "no right turn on red" sign and a green right turn arrow active after politely beeping to get her to check the light since she wasn't moving? I didn't even know how to respond. She waited till the straight ahead lanes had a green signal.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If I waited for an actual gap in traffic (no light) when making a left it would take me 20 minutes to get out of the road my company is on every night after work.

I have to force my way through oncoming traffic literally one lane at a time. Having a really beat up DD helps, no one plays chicken with me if they want their 5 year old middle class status symbol unscathed.

(And I'm not afraid of small gaps or throttle, either, I have left a cloud of tire smoke pulling out of that road into traffic many times when it isn't bumper to bumper. You can always tell when someone is new to the area because they wait a few minutes before forcing their way into traffic.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I always thought those signs were a "see if you can get the high score" game :shrug:

Speedos aren't easy to calibrate on some cars, mine is pretty easy, just costs about 40 bucks in parts every time I have to do it. Reminds me, I need to check what speedo gear tooth count I have now, pretty sure it's a factory 34 tooth, I need either a 35 or a 36 tooth depending on which way I round it and how much air is in the tires.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I don't understand why you need to inform anyone when they're in public, but hey, who ever said the law had to make sense?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrOnBicycle posted:

I love the dude who decided to tailgate me yesterday during hard winds. Not that it was hard to drive or anything, but you never know what comes flying in front of the car. At least he got the message when I decided to just take my foot of the accelerator where he couldn't pass. I find that it's the best way to get people to back the hell off without risking them overreacting to a brake check. Especially when they are so close that their headlights are blocked from vision.

I usually look for a road hazard or other debris to run over at this point. Would have been able to dodge it if you hadn't had your nose straight up my rear end in a top hat, rear end in a top hat.

Pegged some guy real good with a semi truck tire "gator" a while ago :smug:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Jonny 290 posted:

This one, this is where you made me choke on my cup of Earl Grey. The notion of somebody trying to pass or overtake a plow truck is...oh god.

This gives me bad memories of childhood.

To put it lightly, my dad drives like a madman.

Back 20 or 30 years ago he could get away with it. His reaction times were very good, he is a very skilled driver. Now his reaction times aren't as good. He still thinks they are.

He grew up in upstate VT, so he knows how to loving drive in snow. I've seen him keep a FWD minivan in the lane in 6 inches of heavy wet slush doing 50mph and never even come close to wrecking, while we passed dozens of 4x4s stuffed into snowbanks and bridge abutments on their roofs.

I've seen him pass plow trucks. Not stupid enough to try and cut between them, but you bet he passed those fuckers because they were going too slow or something. He stopped doing that when he passed one on the right, I distinctly remember the feeling of hundreds of pounds of wet slush hammering the side of the van, us sliding sideways (but continuing perfectly straight down the road, like I said, he's good, just insane) and the engine nearly dying. Turns out the storm of slush almost completely filled the air intake :lol: van had no power and fell on its face every time he stomped on it the whole way home, but mysteriously fixed itself the next time it got above freezing for a few hours.

I'm honestly not sure how he hasn't gotten in more accidents.

Anyone who has ridden with me and thinks I drive fast... it seems tame to me because I grew up riding with my dad. I basically can't ride with him anymore because he tailgates incredibly close to people while complaining about people tailgating him and I don't deal with hypocrisy very gracefully. A few "man that guy is really riding your front bumper :haw:" comments and he blows up, I just don't get it :shrug:

So even when we're going the same place and it's a few hours away/carpooling would save money, I generally drive myself. I've realized I can't change his behavior and I don't fancy being a passenger in his car when he crashes it, either.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It depends on the car, but yeah, many common RWD vehicles just have a gear.

I'm mildly annoyed by the fact that the gear I need to correct for the tires I just put on is a 37 tooth. 34 tooth is factory and I have a 35 and a 36 tooth on hand... might just put the 36 in and call it close enough.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

TrueChaos posted:

I will happily pass plow trucks all day long, especially when they're plowing the highway at 60km/h ish (35-40mph), because that's about as fast as they go even when there's only an inch or two of snow on the ground. Of course, I've gotten a few strange looks as I drive a miata.

Also, I need to be at the ski hill for 8am (Ski patrol) and have grown up driving with lots of snow. I've driven in a few storms before the plows got out where I was plowing with the front bumper. Definitely one of those if I stop I'm not getting going again kind of situations.

Yeah, that's where we were headed when we got slammed by slush from a plow, too. Well, we were on the way home actually. Used to spend every single Wednesday up at Ragged Mountain in NH skiing from the minute the lifts opened till the minute they closed.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Those tires are every bit as flexible as a board. In fact I can think of a great many boards that are likely more flexible than them.

I don't really see a problem with it as long as the binders are properly chosen, tightened, safetied, and yeah, he needs a new wide load banner badly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The intersection at the end of the road my job is on is pretty bad, there's no light or traffic control of any kind (aside from a stop sign for the side road) and it pulls out onto a persistently jammed up 4 lane main street with lights every 200 feet. Putting someone in the drivers seat and getting them to take a left through traffic is a great test of whether they know how fast they can accelerate or have any balls at all.

Most people take the "inch forward out of the side street until they are blocking two lanes of oncoming traffic, then take a left when possible" approach. I'm not sure I can blame them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

I ended up gunning it back into the through lane when no cars were coming on my side and turning left a block further down, like I should have in the first place.

I wait for an appropriately sized gap in traffic and then gun it, whip left, and take off. Lots of low end torque and being deeply geared for my tire size are nice sometimes. Hell, all the time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Geoj posted:

It tends to be legal pretty much everywhere else too, by virtue of "law enforcement doesn't write tickets for anything other than speeding, running stop signs/red lights and DUIs."

According to my driving record they also write tickets for failure to inspect. :(

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Beach Bum posted:

Might (mass) makes right :eng101: People don't understand p=mv and if his m is bigger than yours, for any v greater than 5km/h you're pretty much hosed.

E = 1/2 mv2 :eng101:

And yes, it sure as hell does, but that doesn't mean retards won't pretend you can bend the laws of physics to let them do whatever they want after they cut your rear end off doing 30mph slower than you.

To illustrate this a little better, one of my trucks doing 52mph (redline 5th) has almost exactly the same kinetic energy as another of my trucks doing 120mph. The slower one weighs around 5 times as much.

kastein fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Nov 6, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have to agree, that road is drat near empty. Breaking the law? Definitely. Endangering anyone aside from himself? Most likely not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

All research states that speed limits should ideally be set at the 85th percentile speed during normal traffic flow, and yet no one changes speed limits to that.

i95 northbound from the pike to i93 in Massachusetts is rarely doing under 80 during my morning commute. It's a 55 zone. I get passed like the wind every day by someone doing 100+.

i90 (the pike) eastbound from i84 to i95 in Mass also usually averages 80. It's only a 65 zone, though.

There's actually a bill going through the state house right now to bump the limit up to 80 on the pike because frankly, anyone doing under 80 is probably a hazard. Even the truckers average around 75-80 and they're pretty drat ticket-averse due to needing to keep their jobs.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

triple clutcher posted:

a while back I went down to MA with some friends ... I forget how we had originally planned to get back to NY, but whatever it was fell through and someone's mother ended up driving us on the Mass Pike from about Framingham to the NY/MA border.

At 45mph. :suicide:

Pike westbound is always an absolute shitshow on the last day of any given weekend, or was it just that she drives like a 90 year old blind alzheimers sufferer?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

:downs: YAY FIRST SNOW OF THE SEASON :downs:

Words cannot express the... murderous loathing I have for the 4 brazillion chicken littles that hosed up my commute and turned it into a 2.5 hour shitshow.

You mouthbreathing inbred mother fuckers, the snow wasn't even sticking to the road. And massdot was salting the gently caress out of everything anyways. WHAT THE gently caress IS WRONG WITH YOU? THIS MIGHT AS WELL BE RAIN THAT LOOKS PRETTY. :tizzy:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Something just sparked my memory of my morning commute. I got cut off by some retard in a beat up rav4 with FL handicap plates (in MA - danger sign!) moving 20mph slower than I was. Why? They had limo tint on everything and the windshield tint (:wtc: I don't want to live on this planet anymore) was so dark I couldn't tell if there was anyone in the drivers seat at all. Protip: windows were installed so you could look out of your loving car, dimwit.

Oh, and you have mirrors for a reason. Assuming you can even see them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Michael Scott posted:

Why is this a problem? I'm not going to meticulously clear off my car after a significant snowstorm. I clear the windows, lights, license plate, brush off the hood and the roof a bit, that's it.

I had a 2x4 foot 2-3 inch thick slab of ice fly off a minivan in the next lane over and smash my windshield, bend my wiper linkages, and dent the hood. If I had been a mere 3-4 feet further along the road when it landed I probably would have ended up in the loving hospital after they pried me out from under a broken windshield and a giant slab of ice.

gently caress everyone who doesn't clean their roof off, I hope they die of cancer. Oh and mass plate 736 SRJ (I still have that poo poo memorized, along with the slo-mo memory of watching 200lbs of ice pinwheel toward me and slam the gently caress into my car) I hope you spin out and go over a bridge abutment one day.

Seriously, clean the snow and ice off your goddamn car. I don't care that it takes you another 5 minutes. This goes for everyone, not just you, I'm quoting you because you happened to bring it up this time.

kastein fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Nov 15, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

rcman50166 posted:

I speed up when someone tries to pass me on the right. Because, like, if I'm in the right passing lane and someone passes me on the left, I'm not going fast enough, clearly. I just happen to stay next to the guy until he runs into the slower traffic in the travel lane. :getin:

Also, a lot of the fastest drivers I see on the road drive Priuses, strangely enough.

I hope you're being sarcastic because otherwise gently caress you.

Keep right except to pass. If you are loafing around in the hammer lane and someone comes up behind you and has to pass on the right because you are too dumb to get out of the left lane you are being a right oval office.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It has to be an improvement over the previous edition, which was mostly clueless spergs assbiting each other incorrectly over things that don't matter.

So yes, DnD lite.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

similar to that McD's incident, loving entitled douchebags who think it's OK to cruise down the lane next to an exit and then wedge their shitbird asses into the queue leading into the exit ramp right at the last moment.

gently caress. YOU.

I hope you get run over by an uninsured motorist with a lovely body kit and further, that the zipties holding their body kit on poke you in the loving eye right before you die. Inconsiderate assholes.

People do that poo poo allllll the time at multiple merges and exit ramps on my commute. They don't like it much when I simply block them or start merging (I have the right of way, it says "right lane ends" you turd burglar, you are in the right lane and waited till you were in the emergency lane before trying to merge, you ignored several signs to get to this point!) as if they aren't even there. Fucker, I don't have a single straight body panel and I'm missing paint everywhere, I bounce this thing off rocks for fun, you are NOT going to win a game of chicken when I have right of way. I dare you to try. I double dog dare you, motherfucker.

I always hope they learned their lesson but nope, usually they rage out and act like I am the one in the wrong.

e: I probably come across as very angry in this post. Try sitting on the FDR for an hour and a half heading into Manhattan because 2 travel lanes worth of worthless douchebags are attempting to wedge themselves into exit 2 at the absolute last moment when you are trying to get to exit 1, half a mile further down. Now try doing that once or twice a week for most of a year... I swear if I had a button that would light every one of those inconsiderate fucks on fire, I'd be hitting it like a pinata.

kastein fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Nov 19, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Galler posted:

What seems to happen around here is that everyone does the zipper correctly except that they do it a mile too early. Traffic still flows along perfectly fine however even if it's slightly less efficient until someone charges up the empty lane and has to come to a complete stop in front of the cones until they can force their way in which completely fucks the flow of traffic. So the person jumping the queue is a shitlord for loving up the flow of traffic and everyone else is dumb for zippering at the wrong spot.

We need a big PSA about zipper merging or something.

Agreed.

This is one reason I really wish they'd just design roads so they don't need that kind of thing - it's USUALLY possible, but not always. For instance you can make lanes exit-only and put big fat signs and arrows telling everyone else to get the hell out and more people honor that for some reason. Probably because they know someone can simply force them off down the exit and laugh at them instead of having to let them in somehow.

One that really annoys me is the entrance ramp from the northbound collector on i95 where i90 joins it in Waltham MA - it's 2 lanes right where the i90 feeder comes into the collector, then an exit ramp to some surface road branches to the right, and for some reason it's still 2 lanes. For like 75 feet, at which point it becomes one lane, but necks down so gradually (and is such an incredibly wide lane) that fuckheads just keep on wedging themselves further down it still trying to drive side by side. Then another entrance ramp comes in and suddenly it's 3 lanes worth of assholes all trying to merge into what is suddenly a single lane entrance ramp onto the highway.

If they just made the exit ramp to the surface street break off and the collector end up as one lane, it'd fix 90% of the traffic snarl that happens every single morning. Or if they made the collector two lanes all the way onto i95 and only the right lane gets the merge from the other entrance ramp right at the end.

Here it is, in all its hosed up glory: http://goo.gl/maps/3m5WZ

Point A: I90 offramp necks down from 2 lanes to 1. Jerkoffs abound. "Right Lane Ends" signs for several hundred feet prior to disappearance of lane.
Point B: 2 lane collector. Everything is fine except for everyone coming up the collector wants to go right, and everyone coming down the i90 exit ramp wants to go left, so it's more of a large moron collider (morons are like hadrons, but much more massive) than a collector. A crossover bridge would probably be more efficient/smoother, I don't think I've ever seen someone come up the collector and continue along it.
Point C: exit ramp to surface street, which mysteriously does not bring the collector down to 1 lane.
Point D: collector magically becomes 1 lane (dotted line stops) but takes another 2-300 feet to actually neck down to a single lane width. Jerkoffs abound.
Point E: A third row of poor bastards appears! They now have to merge with the two lines of stubborn assholes who are still jamming into a (now single lane width) road like two fat men loving in a mummy bag.
Point F, not shown: everyone who just made it through this shitshow now jumps the (several hundred feet long) solid white line and swerves out into i95 traffic going 20mph slower than they should be, bringing traffic to a standstill for miles.

This clusterfuck of an interchange (along with others) has made me very intolerant of assholes.

And yes, people routinely swerve out of the left lane of the collector at point B, floor it, and try and shove themselves as far as they can down the collector through points C and D even though they know full well that it's one lane. Hell, probably BECAUSE they know that. I've had so many jerkoffs honk at me for daring to treat it like the single lane it is (and then floor it past me on the right, nearly into the median strip.)

For some reason I am retarded and my commute goes straight through this mess every single morning. Adds 5-10 minutes to my day to go half a mile... if I was smart I'd start earlier and miss 90% of the traffic.

e: goddamnit didn't realize I was breaking tables

kastein fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 21, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

fralbjabar posted:

You forgot the best part of that interchange: trying to get onto 95 South from 90 in either direction. You can see it if you got a little to the left on that google maps link, but you have a merge area about 400 feet long in which all traffic coming from 90 Eastbound that wants to go to 95 South has to merge into or through all traffic from 90 Westbound that wants to get onto 95 at all. 90 Westbound traffic going to 95 North has to merge out of that onto the overpass and then go through the rest of that mess. I'm absolutely amazed I've never seen an accident there in person.

Fortunately I never have to go that way. I know the section you're talking about and used to drive it once in a while, gently caress everything about that. I quickly learned to simply get as far left as I could immediately after the toll booths and stay that way until I end up on 95 north. I have actually seen accidents there before, what's truly sad and rather telling is that traffic wasn't any worse that morning. It was completely hosed as usual and a few smashed up cars sitting in the middle of the merge section you mentioned really didn't cause a slowdown because, well, it's a giant SNAFU no matter what.

That interchange is a massive shitshow and it really makes me hate everyone in it, but most of all the sadists who designed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Llyd posted:

*Belgian joke:
A road worker goes to see his boss: "Boss, my shovel's handle just broke."
"Well, lean against the truck then."

We've got a few like that too...

They changed the signs from "men working" to "men in road." More accurate, you see.

What's big, orange, and sleeps six? A MassDOT truck.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Nov 21, 2013