Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Geirskogul posted:

Sorry for the potato-quality picture, but this was what I saw while working at Home Depot today. Yes, that's 30 PVC pipes taped together with packing tape. Yes, they're almost dragging the road. Yes, the only thing holding them down is one budget ratchet strap in the front.

The worst part about all of it? He said he was driving to Glendale with that contraption. He's going to hit a bump, the pipes are going to fly upwards, then swing sideways in a turn and take out a pedestrian or oncoming traffic. I told him that he should fix it before he leaves because it is unsafe, but all he did was yell at me that he only had one ratchet strap and he was going anyway.

This was about 30 minutes ago, so PhoenixGoons, stay off of 51 northbound for awhile.

(they're not taped down to the bed in the back, just wrapped)

Did he realize that Home Depot also sells 4 packs of budget ratchet straps for like loving ten dollars? Idiot.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yech. You're reminding me of the time (a few years ago now) when I was cruising on I10 east between the tunnel and the ministack just before rush hour - you know, that special time when the freeway is jam packed but still flowing at 70-80MPH.

In one of the dead-center lanes was one '80s Toyota truck flat-towing another, doing maybe 35-40. That was one hell of an oh-poo poo for a lot of people right then.

I saw a ford focus with the rear bumper cover torn off and a flat tow bar bolted/halfassed/chained onto the aluminum bumper beam a while ago. It didn't have a license plate on it, and was towing a clearly smashed up and unregistrable SUV (:wtc:) which mysteriously had a plate on it. In the dark. On route 20 going through Auburn MA, doing 10 under the limit where everyone does 20 over. With only his 4 ways on to warn people.

I debated following and calling the police but decided that I really should probably just get as far away from that rolling deathtrap contraption as possible before the inevitable happened.

Krakkles posted:

My jeep doesn't have a rear wiper. It does, however, have a rear sprayer. :q:

I'm pretty sure that happened to every single cherokee on the road within 2 weeks of leaving the factory... I didn't fix mine for exactly the same reason.

MrOnBicycle posted:

The best way to deal with tailgaters is to just take your foot off the accelerator so that they either pass you or where they (more fun) can't pass you, get the loving point and stay back when you put your foot back on the throttle. Works every time and there not sudden moves or anything. Best case is just that they pass. Nothing worse than having tailgaters steal attention and make any change in the road ahead result in a crash if I have to brake.

Also, it's always fun the people decide to overtake in the dumbest situations. Had to brake semi-hard and evade a bit to not be in a head on collision yesterday. Thankfully no tailgaters behind me.

The problem with tailgaters is that that's literally the only "driving in traffic" maneuver they know - they don't know how to pass a slow person, they don't know how to merge, they don't know how to use their blinkers, they only know how to crawl up people's asses. It's some sort of a reptile brain lack of sentience type thing. So if you let one by you can guarantee that they'll sit 5 feet off someone else's bumper and keep you from ever getting anywhere.

So I usually just let them tailgate until I see an opening, pass a few people, and let them tailgate someone else. Not my problem anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Left his truck on the entire time he gassed up his car. And people wonder why I hate trucks so loving much.

So... which was it? And why does this have any bearing on what kind of vehicle the guy was driving?

Michael Scott posted:

I hope this doesn't turn into a long debate. But what's the rationale behind the 'Engine Off' rule? I'm guessing it's that in case there is a fire there isn't fuel coursing through the entire engine at that point. Also, it increases the temperature for hot points of contact on the underside of the car where gasoline vapors could ignite.

Flash point of gasoline is only around 530 degrees F. I'm reasonably certain many exhaust systems reach that temperature. That's actually a hell of a lot lower than I expected :stonk:

xzzy posted:

Same reason they put "don't use your cellphone" and "do not enter your vehicle while fueling" stickers all over gas pumps. Someone was worried that these actions could generate sparks and turn the gas station into a bomb.

These are all things that probably happened once and will never happen again, but the rules will live on.

the cellphone one is pretty much bullshit these days, cellphones are quite low power. Even the FAA has realized that they're completely harmless and will be allowing them in flight soon, just not during takeoff and landing. And they still freak out about pilots who are subscribed SSRIs due to some adverse reactions in the 70s or earlier so basically they're stuck 4 decades in the past.

The rest is mostly static electricity concerns, as PainterofCrap stated, and those are 100% valid. It takes very very little to spark gas fumes at the right air/fuel ratio.

Tha Chodesweller posted:

I don't see the rationale in pumping gas into a continually draining tank.

I'm not sure you understand what's going on here, if your logic was valid you'd have to drive around with a gas station filling your car constantly. Cars use fuel much slower than you can put it in the tank at the station, clearly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's still the law everywhere because laws, logic, and reality don't tend to coincide, so I just roll with it.

On the flip side it means I don't have to listen to retards yapping on their cellphones about how like totally they got sooooo wasted last weekend bro!!!!!!! while I fill the tank.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had a giant cup of dunkin donuts iced coffee thrown at me by a road rager one time. Fortunately he was in front of me so I swerved and caught it on the hood :haw:

He wasn't amused by me doing that and then flashing him a thumbs up. In fact if anything it made him angrier.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

davebo posted:

For some reason I just want to know more about this instance. Were you blocking the left lane, he started raging, passed you then threw it? I'm trying to imagine why someone would rage at the person behind them. Also, if he's in front and throws the coffee and you swerve to the left or right, how does that make it land on the hood as opposed to I assume the windshield he was aiming for? Or did you mean you just slowed down so it landed on the hood instead of the windshield? What did he do once it didn't work?

I've posted the story before but here it is...

I was driving my beat up lifted mud covered rotted out jeep comanche to NYC. (side note: a haggard vehicle like that is the best city driver, you win every time some douchebag tries to play chicken with you.)

There was bridge construction on i95 in the Bridgeport CT area. 3 lanes merging down to 2, in full-on rush hour traffic. I spent like an hour going 2 miles. Got to the construction and most of the blockup was because every jagoff on the road was forcing their way by some poor bastard trucker in the middle lane who had to merge and couldn't get enough space to do so. So I took 30 seconds out of my day to let him merge, held back and flashed my lights. The douchebag roid rager in the blinged out black Escalade behind me completetely lost his poo poo, screaming at me, screaming out the window, middle fingers, headlights, horn, tailgating, you name it.

I don't respond well to that kind of poo poo, I instantly go into troll mode and just let it roll off me. So I laughed and waved, then took off. He decided that meant he should floor it by me in the middle lane (I was in the left, going faster than speed of traffic...), swerve into my lane, and brake check me. I expected that when I saw him pass me on the right while hugging the dotted line, so I was already on the brakes by the time his rear wheels were parallel to my fronts, and he failed utterly to get me anywhere near hitting him.

He sucked at driving in heavy traffic, so without much trouble or cutting anyone off (in a truck with 300k miles on the engine and factory diff gears on 33" tires... I basically can't accelerate) I managed to get ahead of him, and waved/pointed and laughed as I went by.

Lost his poo poo again, cut me off again, brakechecked me again, then threw his coffee. Which I caught. And flashed him a thumbs up. I'm not sure why he thought I cared about my bodywork or paint. Hell, the windshield was pretty badly cracked too, he literally couldn't do anything to me with a coffee except clean the truck off a little.

He was practically purple with rage when I passed him again as he moved right to take an exit ramp, at which point I decided I'd probably taken enough years off his life and continued with my drive.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 25, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, I had a nickel size hole in the downpipe and between it sounding angry because of that and the general "popcan that's been chewed on and spit out" appearance, I had taxis yielding to me without me even really trying. All I had to do was goose the throttle to start pulling out and they'd back right off :haw:

33s and offroad suspension make NYC potholes, construction, and "delivery truck is parked in the middle of a one lane one way road, everyone get around them by driving on the sidewalk" road conditions rather cushy, too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I love it when truckers tire of people being douches and just shut them down.

Saw a trucker take 5 minutes out of his day to cockblock some rear end in a top hat who thought jamming himself into a backed up exit ramp at the last minute was cool. Trucker just wedged himself in between the rear end in a top hat and the line of traffic and stopped moving, let everyone else by.

It was beautiful :allears:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

MrYenko posted:

:stonk:

As a native Floridian, I have to ask...

Why even go to work?

When else can we drift around like maniacs and slide everywhere without wasting rubber or getting expensive tickets? :getin:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

If your car doesn't have a crest of snow spraying off the front end, the roads aren't bad yet.

I've plowed through 5 foot snowbanks doing 30 and had to stop after to shovel the windshield off. Wipers wouldn't even come close to moving it :haw:

I wish I had that on video, came to the end of the pavement in a cul de sac where the road actually continued past the development, but was a dirt two track. The plow trucks had piled everything in the end of the road, so I just gunned it and plowed through.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Right after the last Fast and Furious came out (as we walked out of the theater after the first showing), a bunch of my friends and I saw two ricers revving at each other in the foxboro stadium parking lot. The second they started moving the blue lights came on and they all got busted, it was awesome.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

AuntBuck, I lost a steer tire on my jeep doing 80 at one point and only noticed when the rim hit the ground. Went quickly from "this is odd, why is it pulling to the right?" to "huh, leaning toward the right now" and then the rim started making a racket. Oh well, it was a poo poo tire, I'd clipped the sidewall a short while before, and now I know I can handle a blowout at speed.

That being said, they were probably on their cellphone or just thought "car is making a funny noise I will have to bring it to the shop to be checked out when I get paid! :hurr:"

pkells posted:

Holy poo poo, haha, screw Worcester. I hated driving on that stretch of 290, even in good conditions.

Speaking of 290, there was a spot on 290W a couple miles after 495 where staties would hide behind an old stone overpass and pick people off coming downhill around a corner. That was my go-to "gently caress you tailgater" spot. Of course, I found out about it the hard way...

There are like 9-10 good speedtrap locations in both directions between 495 and the 190 interchange, but I used to drive that every day for work so I knew exactly where they were :v: I fed a lot of jerks to the bears along there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Glad I'm not the only one who thought the guy filming was a loving weirdo.

Bets on which half of the lot lizard he kept as a souvenir/toy?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That first one you listed was one of my favorites. The U-turn right after it on the left is a great spot for the cops to hide too, going both directions. In fact I've been pulled over going westbound by that turnaround.

At 2AM. With no one else on the road. Doing 70 in a 65. For...

... failure to keep right except when passing. :argh:

Fortunately just a written warning, but gently caress, really man? There was no one to pass or be passed by, I wanted to stay further from the deer. And where were you during rush hour when 9 million chucklefucks were bumbling around in the left lane not passing anyone?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

If you can't handle Kelley Square you shouldn't have a license. :haw: Enjoying it is entirely a different issue.

This song is the one most appropriate for driving through this intersection:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOGTzQzFpXk

Two state highways, four one way streets, a major thoroughfare (two more two way streets), another two way street, a few interstate exit/entrance ramps, no traffic lights, and like... two stop signs. Maybe. I forget if they are stops or yields.

Oh, and there are a billion bars in the area, so on weekend nights it's a giant shitshow of drunk pedestrians, cops, drunk drivers, and general mayhem.

And there are 2-3 gas stations bordering it... so look out or you'll get pancaked by a gasoline tanker truck! :supaburn:

No one has any loving idea where they are going or who has the right of way and the driver with the biggest balls and the least to lose always wins.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had a religious experience today on my way to work.

An old lady wearing a knit hat and driving a silver prius pulled into the left lane in front of me.

Then she passed the person she'd been behind, used her blinker, and moved back into the middle lane :swoon:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The best road rage story I've ever heard ended with the ragee grabbing the rager's tie through the window, rolling the window most of the way up, and taking off at a leisurely pace through the intersection, leaving the douchebag running for his life while sideways and unable to detach himself from the car. Hope he didn't like those shoes.

Actually, here it is: http://www.craigslist.org/about/best/van/366721693.html

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I clocked his plate, but it's not my place to chase something up if the guy who was hit doesn't care.

There are few things short of a negative result from a pregnancy test which cause such obvious relief to spread across someone's face as when, after they hit you, you get out, look at the damage, shrug, and wander off.

Reminds me of an incident fit for this thread...

There is a really lovely intersection near my house. It's a somewhat oblique cross intersection with buildings and bridge abutments placed so that the people on each side street can't really see people coming on the main street in at least one direction. Stop signs for both side streets, no stop signs on main street, 25 zone on the main street for just this reason.

I was pulling out of the side street. My view was blocked, so I inched out as far as I dared, looked both ways, and pulled out. Just as an 89 Grand Marquis came blasting up the main road doing at least double the limit. My first sign of danger was his tires screeching, right before he slid into/under the drivers door and front tire of my old rotbox XJ.

Completely wrecked his frontend (at least bodywork wise - it still ran fine, though it was leaking a little coolant) and bashed in my drivers door, what was left of my rocker panel, and broke the steering box mounting bolts.

After his initial "what the gently caress dude, you pulled out in front of me!" (to which I noted that he had to have been at least doubling the limit) we both were like "well I'm driving a crapcan and it sure looks like you are too... are we gonna report this?" and had just decided not to when the cops roll up. Officer takes one look at both cars, goes "anyone hurt? If neither of you want a report I am fine just leaving things as they are."

So it cost me about $7 in bolts and the other guy pretty much needed a new car if he cared about how it looked. I didn't give half a poo poo about the bodywork seeing as I'd dragged that side over a boulder the previous weekend anyways.

I am very, very cautious pulling out of that stop sign now. It's close enough to my house that I hear accidents there every month or so.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

When did that ever stop anyone from trying? Have you seen the way moms and dads sling their minivans around town?

Yeah, 10mph under the limit in the left lane, at dusk, in a dinged up champagne sienna with only the DRLs on.

Then they glare at you like you asked how much they'd sell their spawn's organs for when you take the first opportunity to pass them on the right.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I like how witnesses blamed the drivers brakes not working.

How the gently caress did they manage that? And why hasn't the driver been banned from driving for life?

E: oh, sounds like they started out on the second level of a parking structure. Still, how does your brakes not working at parking lot speeds result in going over the barrier and landing on another car?

Also, two for one, rubberneckers proceeded to cause an accident on a road and close it down too :eng99:

kastein fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 7, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

99% of problems in the snow can be solved by increasing the interval between cars, and easing off the gas about double the distance you'd normally start applying brakes for a stop.

If the jackass raging up your rear end in a F150 or Cherokee isn't happy about that, gently caress 'em. Just watch the ditches and keep a mental count of how many of them wind up calling for a tow because they forgot that AWD only helps you get moving, not stopping.

Starting from a stop is never fun on all seasons but that's just a reminder that you should be really light on the gas. :v:

Hey buddy, I'm that guy in a Cherokee, I have studded snow tires, I know how to loving drive, and I wish people would do what you are saying, but do it NOT in the left lane.*

The middle lane is further from the sides of the road so chickenshit fuckers who have no idea how to drive can go slow in it and have further to slide before they hit things.

The middle and right lanes are also for slow traffic. The left lane is for passing.

Also: I saw 4 different idiots facing the wrong way in the left and right breakdown lanes on my way into work. Two were compact cars, one was some modern crossover, and one was a minivan. None of them were 4x4s, surprisingly.

The traffic jams they caused turned a 1 hour drive into a 2.5 hour drive.

* yes there are a lot of stupid mouthbreathers driving 4x4s who think that 4 wheel drive means they are invincible. I wish they would all end up in the ditch so the rest of us don't have to worry about them.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Oh, I completely forgot about the thing that took the cake yesterday morning when Massachusetts collectively lost its mind and forgot how to drive because of 1/4" of slush on the roads.

I saw a blue toyota shoppingcart LXi (I don't what make/model it was, actually, blue appliance sedan) at that same horrible merge from the i90 ramp onto i95 that I sperged about before... everyone's stuck in traffic and the douchebag driver jumps the curb and drives half on the grass median to pass, and then cut off, a single car. Because two lanes of fuckheads trying to jam into a now-single lane at an ugly merge/zipper isn't bad enough already.

The most futile, assheaded, douchebag move I have ever seen while driving, bar none. I was praying for them to get stuck or crack their oil pan the whole time but sadly neither happened. There is no justice in this world.

Had they gotten stuck I would have pulled in front of them, got my tow strap out, acted like I was going to pull them out, then flipped them off and driven away.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Galler posted:

Maybe all the bulbs are burned out including whatever bulbs might signal that the bulbs are burned out :v:. Still, you would have to be pretty loving oblivious to not notice that you're unable to see where the hell you're going.

I made it a couple blocks in my parents dodge ram 2500 van once wondering why the headlights were so drat dim before I realized they weren't on at all.

Those things have quite possibly the worst factory headlights of all time, even the high beams didn't do much.

e: yeah, I got a warning once in Manchester NH for no lights at night now that I think about it. Same story, street lights everywhere, pulled out of a side street I'd been parked on and hadn't even had time to notice yet, this was before I intentionally developed a habit of turning the lights on the second I get in any vehicle, whether it's day or night. It was prime drunk hunting time for the cops and the officer was peeved that I wasn't drunk.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I had to drive around a couple blocks, do a K turn, and parallel park.

poo poo was easy, because I learned to drive (and do all those things) in a dodge ram 2500 van with a turning radius measured in parsecs and crummy visibility, and took the test in a mid 90s sedan with visibility for miles :v:

4-wheeling taught me more about driving, situational awareness, and being aware of the size/shape of my vehicle than anything else.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Terrible Robot posted:

Speaking of which, I have to take one this Saturday to wipe that stupid ticket from August off my record. 8 hours in a Holiday Inn conference room, I can't wait.

Don't remind me :( first instate speeding ticket ever. Oh well, my fault.

E: DB, mass does. Not sure how it works, basically the event is still on your record but your points score goes back down so you can keep your license.

Did you know that inspection tickets in mass put a point on your license? I wouldn't have had to take the course otherwise. I have a stack of those, one accident years ago, and this speeding ticket, and I am going to be learning to not drunk drive a tractor trailer with a suspended license with a bunch of dipshits.

Get your rides inspected, guys :suicide:

kastein fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 13, 2013

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Well yeah, I guess what I meant is that it still impacts insurance. Did you know that going without a front plate is a $30 fine, but it also counts as a moving violation for insurance? Gotta love this state.

I've done that, but never been ticketed for it because they had a lot of other more pressing things to ticket me for. Like my lack of inspection sticker.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

The Midniter posted:

That's one thing I love about living in Charlotte - if you get pulled over for an expired inspection/registration, you'll get a ticket, but as long as you get it taken care of no later than 7 days before the court date, you can e-mail or fax proof of inspection/registration and everything gets tossed out. It's so convenient I honestly don't even pay attention to the notice of renewal any more, I use my annual get-pulled-over-for-expired-inspection-and-registration as an opportunity to have a nice chat with a police officer, the past two of whom have been quite pleasant to deal with.

The last inspection ticket the officer told me that I just had to bring my proof of inspection with me and he'd have it thrown out.

loving liar, he didn't show up (some other douche did) and the magistrate told me to go gently caress myself and let the ticket stand.

I don't like being lied to.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Headlight chat... again...

purpleandgold posted:

Got my learner's permit in CT at 16. Let it expire when I turned 18, as CT does. Apparently, once you turn 18 in CT, you don't need anything to drive but someone riding shotgun who's over 21 and has had a license for four years. Got my license right after I turned 19, and pretty much was considered an automatic pass for successfully back-parking a minivan. Then it was a three-point turn in a residential area and that was it.

Connecticut is very lenient about passing your road test, which might explain why this state is full of obnoxious drivers. After a while, I just kind of let the asshats pass me and go about their tailgating/90 in a 50 zone/brights on all the drat time. And again: having 4x4 or all-wheel drive does not mean you are invincible and can race through snow. (Says the moron who bought a rear-wheel drive car and then moved back up north.)

Confession: I'm sorry. I'm the jerk with xenon headlights that make it look like my brights are on when they aren't.

I'm not sure if you are trolling like you were in the old bachelor poo poo thread where you "admitted" to being a disgusting slob, and in various PYF threads where you've claimed to be a rig hand or something or not but fix your headlights. I'll just leave it at that.

I've lost count of the number of tall tales you've told, if they're all true I have no idea what to think of you but if they aren't (which I suspect) you're just looking for attention here by derailing this thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

That reminds me of some jerk we share the road with... who got what he deserved:
(If you have been on the internet for a day you have probably seen this video but it is awesome)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnBIPVRrJkQ

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

This morning I saw quite a number of tank commanders. Got cut off rather badly by some idiot in a Forester on the pike, I was doing 40 or so in one lane and he was stopped in the next lane over and decided it was time to whip it out into my lane without checking his mirrors, right in front of me. Fortunately a lot of middle finger and horn resulted in him actually finding the accelerator pedal.

I also found out that rolling down your window and holding a snow broom out it with your middle finger extended as if you're going to hand it to some idiot as you pass them doesn't really amuse the kind of person who doesn't clean the snow off their roof. It does, however, amuse me :haw:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Can't wait to see what's in store for me, 4-6" of snow that started only a few hours before rush hour. It's now half past 6... what's traffic look like?

There isn't a :stonk: big enough.

Multiple accidents on every major highway, too.

Learn to drive in the snow you loving lemmings, god drat it. :argh:

I wish snow came in two varieties. None, or two feet at a time. Then everyone would stay the gently caress home and I'd have the highway to myself.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

xzzy posted:

In rush hour situations it's not as much a problem with knowing how to drive, but more a fact that as people try to increase their intervals fewer cars can fit on the road, which slows everything down.

That map only shows four accidents which undoubtedly slows things down even more, but that doesn't seem like an unusual number, at least it wouldn't be for the Chicago area.

This is the northeast, increasing intervals would be nice but really doesn't happen all that much. Maybe a little.

There were 2-3 accidents EACH on the ring highways (495 outer and 95 inner) about an hour before that screenshot was taken and their effects are still being felt.

I looked at it a few more times and decided I'd rather surf the net at work and then drive home on a reasonably empty road than drive home in Mad Max conditions and then surf the net, so I still haven't found out just how ugly things really are out there.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

BabyMauler posted:

I work as a courier for a hospital so last night was the worst for us. Two hours Plymouth to Hanover on RT3. It was impressive though the only person I saw in a ditch was a dude in a Raptor. Other than that everyone knew slow and steady keeps you out of a tree filled ditch. I slid my work Grand Caravan all over the place though, retread tires and summer wipers hoooooooo. Dropping gears down in those things is awful, PND3L, L I want to think is 1st and 2nd put together to kill people. So while slowing nice in 2nd it will drop into 1 and pretty much throw the car off the road. GM had it right with their four speeds. Selecting the individual gears is best.

Chrysler loves doing that, they did it on the cherokee too. PRND3(2-1).

And yeah, it almost bit me a couple times last night, fortunately I'm used to it and knew that when you feel it start moving forward slightly faster because it's midway through a harsh downshift, you should feed it a little more gas so the engine braking isn't so bad when it dumps you into 1st with the overrunning sprag disabled.

I drove from Woburn (1 exit south on 93 from the 93/95 interchange) to Southbridge (90/84 interchange) last night. That was hair raising, mostly because of the idiots.

th vwls hv scpd posted:

He woke up this morning. He has a fractured tibia right below his knee, a couple of fractured ribs and a little road rash on his right knee, shin and top of his foot. I'm very thankful he is doing well so far.

He started to wake up this morning and let the nurse know he was hurting a bit. They had him moving his fingers and toes so I'm hoping he is going to be OK soon.

Glad to hear he's gonna make it at least, stories like this are one reason why I don't ride. I'm more afraid of every idiot on the road than road conditions or my driving.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I wonder if there's a way to wire up a button / switch to add "don't shift into 1, you dipshit" functionality.

There is. An SPDT toggle switch will do for 87-96 XJs and there's a Montana Fabrication kit to add it to 97 and later XJs.

The toggle switch works on 97+ vehicles as well but WILL trigger a DTC.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Krakkles posted:

Got a link for that? I found https://www.montanafab.com but their website doesn't work and I'm not even sure if it's the right company.

Edit: Looks like it is: http://montanafab.com/2011/07/awa-transmission-override/

Christ that website is terrible.

It used to be a lot better, I wasn't even sure if they were still in business. Great product though, from all reports.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I got as far as pricing out parts to build one and then realized I would probably become the victim of road rage very quickly.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

So many idiots driving silver cars with no lights in the fog this morning.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

holy loving poo poo, what the hell happened in here?

I figured someone watched an octogenarian in a dumptruck with no lights on drive over a bus full of schoolchildren, but nope!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Companies will actually pay money for used pallets, not much though. They are literally scrappers specializing in pallets, and their vehicles and load securing skills show it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I may be wrong but tailgating a semi truck is a lot less dangerous than cutting one off. Cars can significantly outbrake trucks... the problem is if they follow so closely (5 feet probably is too drat close) that they hit the truck before they can hit the brakes because of lovely reaction times.