Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
ooh, is this where we can complain about poorly-designed intersections? Here's a couple five-way stops ( :suicide: ) from my neighborhood.

This one is fairly quiet, but it's a pain in the rear end just because it's so sprawling. On the odd occasion there's more than one car at the intersection, it turns into either "is he turning? I can't see ... well, I'll wait for him ... still not moving, I'll flash my lights ... now we're both going, now we're both stopping, gently caress." or someone blowing through the stop sign.

This one is pretty busy and is also right near two schools ( in addition to the driveways in the intersection and the two parallel roads ), so it gets to be a clusterfuck at times. I can only assume the traffic counts are low enough during non-peak times to keep it from getting a traffic light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

i90 (the pike) eastbound from i84 to i95 in Mass also usually averages 80. It's only a 65 zone, though.

There's actually a bill going through the state house right now to bump the limit up to 80 on the pike because frankly, anyone doing under 80 is probably a hazard. Even the truckers average around 75-80 and they're pretty drat ticket-averse due to needing to keep their jobs.
a while back I went down to MA with some friends ... I forget how we had originally planned to get back to NY, but whatever it was fell through and someone's mother ended up driving us on the Mass Pike from about Framingham to the NY/MA border.

At 45mph. :suicide:

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

kastein posted:

Pike westbound is always an absolute shitshow on the last day of any given weekend, or was it just that she drives like a 90 year old blind alzheimers sufferer?
the latter. Traffic was pretty light, which was probably why we made it to NY not sprayed across the grill of a semi.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Clean cars are a little more significant in areas that get a lot of rain or snow. Random pieces of paper, handful of napkins from a restaurant, various food wrappers.. pretty much anything that qualifies as "garbage" tends to turn into gooey pulp really fast once you start tracking water in, and it's disgusting to have to clean it up. It's twice as bad if there's any food mixed in with it. :barf:

Maybe it's just confirmation bias but I saw a lot more dirty cars when I lived in California than, say, Seattle.
upstate NY here ( ie: four months of snow ), and it seems like poo poo-filled cars are the norm around here as well.

I can understand things getting messy inside if you do a lot of driving or have kids or whatever, but taking ten minutes every week or so to shovel out the back seat so it doesn't *stay* messy doesn't seem like that much of a burden.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
ah, first major snowfall in upstate NY.

On the way to work, someone in a Honda CR-V alternating between going 15mph and slamming on the brakes while straddling two lanes of a four-lane road, only moving toward a lane when it came time to block somebody from trying to go around them. On the way home, I get a lovetap while at a stoplight ( no damage, thank god ). And yesterday I almost got nailed from behind, but at the last minute got to watch a swerving panic stop almost send them into oncoming traffic, as well the ensuing fifteen-point turn to get back into their lane.

Most people around here are surprisingly reasonable on lovely snowy days, but for gently caress's sake ... I don't want a new car *that* badly.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Geoj posted:

RE: bad parking chat - saw this at a Home Depot

I've never been to a Home Depot where at least a quarter of the lot wasn't parked questionably. There's always the hard parkin' employees at the end of the lot showing off their sweet-bro-trucks or their chrome-addled Pontiac, the guys who don't know how long their long bed-crew cab truck is and have four feet of vehicle sticking out into the aisle, and someone with a trailer who couldn't straighten it out so they just parked across twelve spaces.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I think anyone who lives in a reasonably built-up area that gets a lot of winter has at least a few "gently caress this, I'm going here anyway" moments every year. When it's lovely and freezing and my options for work parking are either at the faaar back of the lot or parallel parking on the street out front in a snow drift, I know which one I'm picking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

GramCracker posted:

Driving to work this morning on 95 north bound in CT. Crest a .5% grade hill to find traffic has slowed to a 40 mph crawl...why? Oh, because there is a State cop half way down the "hill." Does it boggle anyone else's mind that people drive that slow past a cop when the limit is 65? :psyduck:
not as much as when they slow down for one of the "SPEED LIMIT XX // YOUR SPEED XX" displays. The other day I was on a two-lane 35mph road ( traffic usually goes 40 or so ) caught in a line of people who either slammed on their brakes so the sign would read "27" or slammed on their brakes because the person ahead of them didn't want to get pulled over by an LCD display.