Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Michael Scott posted:

In many states simply displaying a firearm, especially having it in your hands around another person is a misdemeanor called "brandishing" or something, and might also be considered a threat. You're lucky he didn't call the cops, but I'm sure you know that.

example in VA, a notoriously lax state: http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-282

As a side note, at least in Florida, you can be charged with brandishing even if you have what you would consider a reasonable excuse and a concealed carry permit. I was going south on US 19 in florida towards Tampa which is already a notoriously bad road to drive on due to idiots, but when you combine it with the afternoon showers making the roads all nice and greasy and having nearly been in two collisions on that road in the couple months prior, I was expecting stupid poo poo to happen at any given minute. Well, it did. As I was going through, I had someone run a red light while turning left at idiotic speeds, come across all 3 lanes of traffic, into my lane and then slam on their brakes, nearly losing control of their own car and sliding all over the place.
Now, I normally keep my temper and/or road rage in check, but today I said gently caress it, grabbed the half finished drink from my cup holder and slung it as hard as I could as I gunned into the next lane over and the nice fizzy soda splattered all over the side of their falling apart, 3 color, dented to gently caress honda shitbox. Now, apparently the tweaked out fucks in the shitbox (Their faces were covered in meth sores and the area they were coming from is an area absolutely infested with methheads/dealers/cookers) took offense to my anger over their terrible driving because and I quote "They had their baby daughter in the car and I could have gotten soda on her". Now, you'd expect this to take the form of them flipping me off and trying to drive off quickly, but no. They pull out what I could only identify as some SMG and what appeared to be a pistol with an extremely large clip. Which was enough for me to absolutely gun it towards anywhere where I could think of a police car possibly being and getting pulled for speeding just so I could have a cop there.
Unfortunately, I could find anything after about 6-7 miles of them chasing me pelting my truck with cans and bottles and waving guns at us, so I called some friends that were about 2 miles from where I was and told them we were headed there and had people with guns chasing us. They told us to head straight there, don't stop and don't let him catch me, so I gunned it down the backroad there with the tweakers in the shitbox still chasing me and still throwing poo poo out at us. And here is where it could have gone much, much worse. As we came to the major road we had to cross to get to where my friend's apartment was, the light was red and it was so full of traffic that I had to stop and the tweakers managed to get next to us again. After several tense minutes of shouting back and forth, death threats and saying of you don't have the stones to pull the trigger, the tweakers instead decided to grab my license plate number... And call the cops. (And yes, there was an infant in their car this whole time)
When I was finally contacted by the police over it, I cut the officer off, told my side of the story, accurately enough described the guns the man had been brandishing to catch him in his lie to the police that he never pulled said guns out and managed to get out of aggravated assault charges because my terrible decision had be so far blown out of the water by his terrible decisions to brandish weapons, threaten our lives (specifically, "pull a gun so I can loving waste all your asses") and chasing us several miles out of the way just to do these actions.
So yeah, I have a word of advice. Don't loving follow people, don't throw poo poo at retards that nearly cause you to rear end them, don't threaten people, don't brandish weapons and for the love of god, keep your road rage in check, because you never know if that shitbox that just did whatever to piss you off is filled with heavily armed tweakers with apparently no regard for human life.

Kill-9 posted:

Came out of Fry's after stopping to pick up a cable and found this in front of my Rangie. It was too far forward to be from my truck(for once). Looking a little closer it appears some dumbass pulled right into the front of my car and got themselves a little coolant leak for their efforts. A small ding on the upright of the brush guard and a bit of missing paint is all I got. Yea for $2K Range Rovers!

After having worked at a Fry's and having seen the idiots that shop there on the holidays and the way they tear through the parking lot, I'm amazed that's all that happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd hope that a series of fatal accidents would limit the number of repeat offenders, otherwise that town has many more problems than people driving recklessly. Like the zombies apparently driving around.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I read that as a totally different type of tank and started looking up how to get it on my license. :(

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

I have no idea how bombproof mailbox tort laws vary between states. All I know up north I don't see many. In the deep south and on the West coast, they're sitting on the side of the road, like brick middle fingers to the sky. Just cross me. :clint: So dependent on geography, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not a social Darwinist though because that would imply that I believe someone willing to drive with a .30 or something BAC has the ability to learn and evolve.

Also I have a ten hour drive up through the east coast this weekend, weather should be great!

I had a neighbor with a brick mailbox at the perfect spot in a turn for it to get nailed. It got taken out about half a dozen times over the course of the last 3-4 years I lived there and I'm not sure what or who was doing it, but it would throw chunks of bricks 25-30ft down the road.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

11BulletCatcher posted:

Sorry for the cell phone pic, but I saw this on the way home on US 41 (business)

For those who can't see through the painful lo-fi, the entire right sight of that car is smashed right the gently caress in. When I was directly behind him the rear, center and front pillars on the passenger side formed a massive W. Florida could REALLY used safety inspections...

[edit] windshield was spiderwebbed with cracks, mirrors falling out of their holders, non working lights, etc. just about everything that could be wrong with a car, was wrong with this one.

Keep going farther north until you hit that bit between 41 and US 19 on highway 50. I've seen some that make that look safe. They still play padiddle here, but its strip padiddle. Last one to hit the roof loses an article of clothing. :getin:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Terrible Robot posted:

My dad taught me to watch the cross-traffic lights to know when your light was turning green when I was loving 5. So watching morons do the inch forward and stop, repeat until green poo poo has been driving me insane roughly that long. Thanks, dad, for giving me an early start on my hatred of other drivers.

edit: BTW, making your kid think you are a wizard by snapping your fingers to "make the lights turn green" is a cool-dad-thing, that also works on slow friends :v:

For a while I was the exact opposite of this. After helping close the store I was working for at the time, me and my fellow coworkers would usually arrive at the same light at the same time and going the same way. After a while, this devolved into a competition of who could get off the line the fastest. It stopped when I used a habit one of my uncles developed for drag racing at his local strip and stopped waiting for the green, but just went as soon as the yellow light went out to constantly win. They never did figure out how i could react so quickly. In retrospect, this was a terrible idea and probably could have wound up in a bad accident, so I guess I'm one of those people you share a road with.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Yeah, this was in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex, so the only strip any of us knew about was in ennis, so there would also be the issue of there being enough semi serious people running at ennis that none of us would have wanted to go and compete for space to run. However if there had been a smaller strip where it would have been more accessible for people to come out and drag race for the fun of it, we probably would have been all over it.

In any event, have a picture of one of the drag cars built by my uncle and his friend! The red one in the front was named sweet thang and built for the friend's daughter. If I remember correctly, it would do a constant 9 second run, but I can't recall if Hallsville was a 1/8th mile or 1/4 mile track at the time. It was constantly changing depending on how much money they had to spend. Its a shame the track is closed now though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Are you in some strange form of car that can't accelerate past 75mph?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Come to florida, no safety inspections!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Crotch Fruit posted:

loving house flipper, you know that's far from the worst strutural failure they have created.

Thats the area code for Tampa, where many companies will pay you a pittance to drive around with their ads on your car if you drive X amount each day. Also, God drat it Florida.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LloydDobler posted:

I have my current insurance agent to thank for getting me off this train. He doesn't just sell you what you ask for, he calls you in to the office once every couple years and has a meeting to "evaluate your portfolio". This is on the one hand an excellent sales tactic in that he gets face to face time rather than phone calls where you can't wait to hang up. But on the other hand it can really benefit you as a policyholder. Here I was almost 20 years into my career, making a professional wage, and even though I had full comprehensive and collision, I was still running state minimums. He simply said "You know, you make enough that if you cause an accident that hits the policy limit they'll come after your wages and assets." Then I found out it was only like $12 a month to more than triple my coverage.

gently caress yeah insurance man, you earn that commission.

Confirming. Not having the state minimums saved my rear end this year after rear ending someone who sued due to back pain. Even though they were in a loving neck brace already when I hit them. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

And then you can just open some cheap place that teaches kids how to defend the parking space without having to leave it and make all the money!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

That's a really lovely design for a parking garage. Those who want to crow about, "they should have watched where there were going" may want to consider that there could have been another car our people crushed under that white Toyota.

The person who put that image online wound up taking it because they had gone through that exact spot a few seconds before.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Mooseykins posted:

A rare event. In fact, so rare, here's another! If i didn't have video evidence, even i wouldn't believe that a BMW driver could do any wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iM_zi3ZoPc

Yeah yeah yeah, dickhead BMW driver and all, but is that a Porsche Carrera GT that was ahead of you in line?

E:FB God drat it.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Saw someone today driving around in some newish vw sedan with the entire driver's side of the car caved in to the point that roof buckled next to the sunroof and I could see inside the car. It looked like it had been t-boned by a semi. No state safety inspections may be awesome when it comes to doing awesome poo poo to an old hot rod, but sometimes I really do wish florida had them.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I think he was commenting on the fact that half the places in your country sound completely made up.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Was actually forced off the road while on a delivery for work today. Lady in a passat/jetta in the outside lane was doing ~50, I was doing 55 in the inside lane with a silverado towing a big rear end trailer behind me following way too close. Lady realizes she needs to start getting over and without looking, begins to come over when I'm halfway done passing her. Can't hit the brakes hard enough due to redneck mcfucknuts behind me, can't accelerate out of the situation since I'm in a tiny little hybrid hatchback with not that much power, couldn't find the horn in the company vehicle so I did the only thing I could and dove into the median while trying to slow down (and looking for that loving horn that I'm not actually supposed to hit). Lady in the VW never even adjusted her speed or made any indication that she was aware what happened. Dude in the silverado finally hit his brakes hard after seeing what was happening and I could hop back on the road before I did any actual damage to the poor little car I was driving. About a quarter of a mile later, I see the outline of her hanging up her phone to turn and talk to a small child that was sitting in the passenger seat. :cripes:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Uthor posted:

Speaking of cell phones, I was following a guy talking on his cell phone while driving an employer's pick up truck. I normally wouldn't have taken notice except for the sticker on the back window just behind his head that said "CELL PHONE FREE VEHICLE".

We have those on the vehicles at work. You are forbidden from having your cell phone in the cab of the vehicle at all and if you bring your phone with you as an emergency phone, you have have to store it in the totes in the back of the truck. Still trying to figure out where to store it in the hatchback we got instead of a truck, since being caught with it in the vehicle is an immediate dismissal and I refuse to drive without some way to call back to the store if needed. :v:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Spotted this today after work. It seems to have been a case of confusing the brake and gas on the part of an elderly driver according to the cop on the scene, right over the curb and into 3-4 foot of water in the retention pond. Apparently the water had dropped by nearly a foot from its highest level by the time I arrived, so its also possible that the curb was under water and she couldn't see them at the time.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Edit: poo poo, double postin

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

A 2011 suburban would need ~145 feet to go from 0-60. Add in the fact that traffic was almost certainly moving closer to 70 andyou get an absolutely impossible following distance for a freeway in a large city's downtown area. So no, you aren't dodging an accident where the car in front of you goes from 70-0, no matter what bullshit you've fed yourself about your ~super safe following distance~.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

I was at O'reilly the other day, getting lug nuts for the Jeep. It's busy, I stood in line for a few minutes before someone could help me. The phone rang, and the lady who was helping me answered it.

"O'reilly? Uh huh? You wanna talk to one of the guys? Okay, lemme put you on hold." Then she says to the other lady, "He wants to know what kind of oil to get, and he only wants to talk to one of the guys. Like they're gonna pick up, 'Uh hello?'"

For christ's sake people, it's 2015, the dude who works at the auto parts store is going to look up your car in the same computer system as the lady.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I was at the local O'reilly myself on Sunday getting a cabin filter for my wife's car (apparently WIX is the only company on the loving planet that makes cabin filters for CX-5s other than Mazda) and asked the lady there about this goofy Saab part I've been hunting. She asked me to call back sometime during the week when it's less busy because she likes to look poo poo up and enjoys a good mystery. I figure I'll give her a call on Wednesday with a part number and she can go nuts. Old parts store ladies rule.

poo poo like this just entertains me at work. We have an unofficial rule in our store of telling the person we're going to ask someone with a bit more experience with the subject, turning to the female co-worker he passed by and repeating their question. It gives all of us a nice warm fuzzy feeling. Except the idiot with the question. gently caress that guy.

Also, the snowbirds have officially loving arrived. In the space of an hour, I was treated to this:

Followed by some little old lady sitting trying to turn out of a flea market onto one of the major roads in town. There are 3 lanes for people coming out of this flea market and one lane for people pulling into it. Guess which one she was sitting in. :cripes:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

We had a little old lady try to pull into our store today to buy something and horribly misjudge the turn, causing he to run over the curb at a pretty good pace. She popped both tires on the passenger side, bent both rims and completely destroyed every suspension component on the front passenger corner. We couldn't even push the car out of the way due to the damage until we placed a couple of large floor jacks under the passenger side and lifted it up. She almost certainly totaled it and probably shouldn't be driving anymore, but damned if I'll be the one to tell her that. I'll just keep a close watch on the drivers around me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a difference of what, 20, maybe 30 feet? You're probably gonna walk further in the store if you forget something and have to backtrack to get it, so try not being a terrible human being. Why do I get the feeling that you'd happily park in handicap spaces too if you weren't afraid of getting your poo poo towed? I mean afterall, its not like those spots are used either at 3am!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

kastein posted:

wow, today is a two-fer

Same loving moron from before with the "o1 laredo"

Count the important bits of info he forgot to post this time!

(I stayed out of it. I don't need that headache. He found someone to do the install for $100 and I'm eagerly awaiting the fallout.)

Honestly, I hope his jeep explodes. Mostly because he's dumb, partly because I had 3 seperate people come in and say they need a part for a jeep today alone, but just gave me xj/yj/tj/whateverthefuckj and then look at me expecting to pull something out of my rear end. Then they act like I wouldn't be able to find the right end of a hammer to hold when I make him tell me the year and model because I'm not learning jeep's bullshit. Honda owners can gently caress right off with this too. I don't know specificly what year an EK would be, I don't know off the top of my head what a B16XYZFUCKINGQ came out of and I don't care that you say it'll dust a brand new mustang 350R.

Or maybe it was the idiot with an '03 jeep grand cherokee who insisted I give him straight 40 weight oil for his 4.0 so he could drive it all the way back to oregon and insisted that his friend who totally knows jeeps and drives a bunch of classic ones told him thats what he needs to run in it.

Or maybe it was the idiot last friday who called looking for "brake drums" on a 2005 ford F-150. When I said that I didn't show a result for brake drums and asked them if it was possibly rotors instead, I had to describe what a brake rotor looked like. Then had to ask them how many lugs it had to narrow down WHICH rotor. Which led to explaining what a lug stud was and telling them where to find them. They counted 5. The options are 6 and 7. This person is doing their own brake job. This is the first time I ever ended a coversation with a recommendation for a mechanic without being asked first.

:smithicide:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Thats a fairly uncommon racist term (to where I actually had to go look what race it was refering to). I'd say give him benefit of the doubt?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gorson posted:

When did they start allowing marketing twats into engineer meetings? If you have to have a backup mechanical mechanism for when (not if) the main system fails, then what was the loving point of the electronic system in the first place? This is just more dumb poo poo dreamed up by people who have never held a wrench. Touchscreen HVAC systems that take your eyes off the road, keyless entry that makes the car less secure, I could go on and on but I know I'm yelling into the void.

I'm sure they would like to avoid a lawsuit if in the event of an accident/fire, the electronic releases fail and a customer is killed because they couldn't get out. Thats not marketing bullshit, its covering your own rear end with basic safety items.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Gorson posted:

You're missing the point. My 15 year old car has no electronic door system. It's all mechanical. It needs no backup system, because the mechanical system works perfectly and is reliable, even in the case of electrical failure or car fire. No lawyers needed. Tell me what is wrong with that system, and what is better about the system in the i8 without using the words "elegant" or "neat-o".

gently caress you, its neat-o. This isn't supposed to be a boring driving appliance, its supposed to be a halo car with every loving bell and whistle they can think of. Including fancy rear end doors that are electronicly opened so you don't have to take your keys out of your pocket. You seriously seem like the type of person that complains modern cars are too hard to work on because of all them derned sensors and computers nowadays.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My neighbors have been highly approving of my change in vehicles since they claimed me flooring my truck with super 44s going up the small hill in front of my house was waking them up late at night. (Most nights they claimed this, I hadn't been out) I've also gotten numerous complains about my speeding (never above 35mph) and loud vehicle from our lovely HOA board, however nothing has been done because the head knows what my response would have been and is generally pretty cool. How much are 4" ebay fartcans again?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

With the weather starting to turn and Snowbird Season upon Florida, I expect to have some stories soon. The elderly driving like no one else is on the road has already started too; some old guy pulls into the left lane from a parking lot cutting off the guy in the left, and he then immediately goes right and cuts me off too. This was a 45 stretch and he was doing maybe 30. Lots of angry honking and he just ignores it and trundles down the road, ugh.

Snowbird season just amplifies an existing problem. In the space of 30 minutes, I watched a motorcycle come within a foot of getting plastered only to hop in the suicide lane to pass the offending vehicle while honking and flipping them the bird, before cutting said vehicle off. I then almost got hit by someone rolling forward from a stopsign while looking directly at me making a "why aren't you giving up your right of way to let me goooo :saddowns:" face. This is all capped by watching work truck pull into the middle turning lane of a 6 lane highway, then make a right turn across 3 lanes of traffic to go speeding through an assisted living community. Driving in florida varies between yakitty sax level hilarity and full blown fury road insanity. The only true way to survive is to out crazy them, so make hommage to the great god veeeight and make sure you keep a can of chrome paint around so YOU CAN DIE HISTORIC ON THE FURY ROAD.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

NoWake posted:

Because when yer shootin hawgs, it's incredibly important there's no metal between the driver and them hawgs.

Still can't decide if the seating is 2x3 or 6x1.

2x3. I rode in one that was just the frame of a truck with the platform built on it and the steering done from on top. Trying to use a scoped rifle on top of one of those while its doing 35-40 mph across a rutted cow field chasing a hog is damned difficult. Still nailed 6/8 shots though. :colbert:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Until a small child or animal darts in front of your vehicle and you're picking picking bits of little timmy/rover out of your grill.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

huge pile of hamburger posted:

You're pretty stupid then

Well its pcos bill, so its not surprising.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Wait, this guy is in florida? How has he not been shot pulling that poo poo?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

sleepy.eyes posted:

Had some dude in an Explorer weaving in and out of his lane. I'm passing him because he is doing under the limit, and honk when he starts moving towards me. His response is to jerk the wheel like he was gonna pit me, then slow way down and follow me until I pull off to do my errands. Probably thinks I'm a right rear end in a top hat, too.

If I have to evacuate for Irma that'll be fun, too.

Actually, I heard from more than a few people that during this, florida drivers were loving exemplary in the last day or two before the storm. They slowed down to give room for wrecks, but didn't slow below 30 to rubberneck, made room for people changing lanes and had a lack of people swerving in and out trying to dart from open spot to open spot in some vain hope of getting out faster. Even people who stayed said that people on the roads who were out immediately before and after the storm were incredibly courteous and polite drivers. They were severely creeped out.

I expect that to snap as they all try to get back.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Please, the redneck drives a ram 3500 with a 12 valve cummins turbo. The interior is so nasty you'd rather lay down in a piss and poo poo covered alley strewn in used heroin needles than sit in it. The tactibro drives a full on brodozer f-250 with a 6.0 powerstroke with a coal tune, a full emissions delete kit, offbrand bulletproofing and bald as poo poo mud tires.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Goober Peas posted:

Inchers usually cause people to stop 2-3 car lengths back. My car's engine shuts off when it comes to a stop to save gas, and inchers make it near impossible to take advantage of it.

Maybe the inchers have start stop and are trying to keep it from doing its thing?

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

um excuse me posted:

1AM is the hour in which no sober driver is allowed on the road. Risk your life driving home drink knowing the only other drivers you'll encounter are also impaired. Good luck.

Or, you know, just call a cab.

Rip all the workers in the bars, food service people and 24 hour retail workers to name a few.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Most speed limits are dumb, this arguement is dumber. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

The report button is for cowards

The report button is a valuable tool for posters and for me, it lets me know that a really dumb slapfight that AI has had an infinite amount of times already is going on so I know to keep an eye on it.