Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
JARED NUMBERS: BACK IN ACTION
I feel ya Mat. I see the maintenance stuff in life as incentive to downsize to the point that you have time to do the stuff you actually want to do and only exactly what you need to be comfortable. I feel like a lot of stress in life comes from owning too much damned poo poo, all of which needs maintenance/attention. Don't stop flossing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I turn my headlights on every time I start my car, and haven't had to replace a headlight bulb in over 3 years thus far. This also gets you in the habit of trying to flick off lights in any car you're in when you turn it off, so you're less likely to leave them on in any car.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
From what I've seen, it was normal for the headlight "brights" switch to be on the floor in 50s and 60s cars.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Just wait until we've got Google-guided cars. I predict a new golden age for motoring enthusiasts. People driving when they feel like driving and sleeping in their cars when they feel like sleeping rather than driving distracted/sleepy/drunk. Also, a lot more people banging in their cars. Unfortunately, many of us will be approaching the point of having "humans from Wall-E" physiques at that point, so the likelihood of seeing naked hot chicks will be lower than ever before. Sorry truckers.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Agreed, we'll see if #2 can keep that magic alive (probably not: their other movies pretty universally suck).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
For some reason it never occurred to me that you could stick your lows in your highs and vice-versa. I figured they'd use different sizes to prevent people from screwing that up.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Convinced a friend not to put a cheap HID kit in his new Civic Si, and instead just go for some higher-output bulbs. You're welcome.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
I hate watching stuff like that. Stupid people in a mob increases the stupidity exponentially.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

9axle posted:

When I drove a car hauler, I used to just stop and unload in those all the time.
I've seen a lot of that in tighter areas, and really, I can't imagine where else you'd realistically be able to unload.

In South Philly, there's places (such as South Broad) where people literally park in these, and the PPA seems to leave them alone.
http://goo.gl/8YOd7f

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
In Philadelphia, "turning lane" is pretty liberally interpreted. That'd typically be a turning lane before it'd be a parking lane.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Well, not exactly "legitimate", but the PPA leaves you alone there. It's been that way forever, and it's sort of just a quirk of South Philly. There's a bunch of different theories as to what precipitated the beginning of the practice and when it started.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
For me, getting into dashcams would be a slippery slope to having 4 fisheye cams (one for each side) and just way too much giving a poo poo about commute-driving when it can be stressful enough sometimes as it is. I figure eventually there'll be a nearly transparent solution that you clip onto the rim of your doors/hood/trunklid that you won't ever have to think about. That, or cars'll eventually just have them from the factory.

That Blackvue looks awesome what with the shock sensor and parking monitoring.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Those ones never seem to get caught either.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Geirskogul posted:

The moral of the story is, I'm one of the people you share a road with.
I think this whole thread really comes down to the fact that we judge ourselves by our intent and others by their actions. I'd be surprised if that exact line hasn't already been uttered somewhere in this thread, because it's the truth. You never know what the person in the other car is dealing with/going through, and none of us exist in a vacuum; we're all driving under the influence of the poo poo in our lives. It's very easy to see only the surface, the symptoms, and respond to them (colored by our own troubles; our bad day, our girlfriend leaving, our dog dying) by escalating the situation. It's easier to say "WHAT A loving IDIOT OMG [my town/city] HAS THE WORST DRIVERS" and start boiling over than it is to take a few breaths and let your anger go. Obviously you've gotta make a judgement call on calling the cops if someone is really off-the-chain dangerous, but I'd hazard to guess that for most of us, there's a large continuum of gray area that we tend to place people towards the "dangerous" end on in our personal ranking system, if only because we have no context for their behavior.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
PCOS Bill you knew what you were doing when you started stolen valor'ing pregnant women. Expect a call from an angry Navy Seal.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Hey guys I hard park across all available handicap spaces please tell me in many many words how you feel about this.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Measly Twerp posted:

How PCOS Bill sees himself:

How everyone else sees PCOS Bill:

How everyone not involved in this goofy-rear end argument sees both sides:

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

kastein posted:

Yeah, what sucks about phones is there's almost no room or budget for proper optics, so even if you have five thousand pixels in each direction, they're all blurry and look like someone stuck the lens in an rear end in a top hat full of vaseline.

:shrug: the iPhones have always seemed to take pretty awesome pictures imo (except in low light like pretty much every camera).

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

Ozz81 posted:

Bolding mine - if that were the case, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need all these precautions because well...people would be following the rules and being polite. Clearly it's not the case when loving clueless assholes disobey signs, lights and clearly marked crossings and get into stupid, preventable accidents daily.

Plus, last I checked, 10 year old kids aren't driving thousand pound potential death machines while talking on their phones, nor are they in a hurry to get somewhere because of lovely time management. Big difference between a grade schooler walking home over train tracks, and a grown-rear end adult in a hurry because they're too stupid to set an alarm clock or pay attention.

Yeah, the thing about this objective thing we like to refer to as "common sense" is that it has never existed, so it shouldn't be surprising to people when someone else does or fails to do something you would expect them to. It's part of being human that we're all stupid in different ways.

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Other than the poor sod driving the train, and the even poorer sod on shovel/hosepipe duty, I can't really see an issue with allowing a sufficient level of stupidity to be lethal.

What is "a sufficient level of stupidity" that is acceptable to be deserving of death, though? I suspect that we've all had moments of stupidity that could've gotten us killed and subsequently mocked for multiple pages in this thread (perhaps a fate worse than death :rip:).

Edit: I know you were just being flippant, but I see a lot of this "bwah stupid people should die I'd never be like this bad stupid person" stuff and it's always a laugh because none of us are above lapses of brain-boiling idiocy.

Jared592 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jared592
Jan 23, 2003
Dammit Dudley