Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

In Australia we tend to have a graduated license scheme but at least in nsw it doesn’t tend to work terribly well. You are supposed to do 120hrs of supervised driving before taking a practical test to be on your own. 20 of those hours need to be at night and the only discount is if you have a driving instructor with you. What instead happens is people forge the hours and get let out on the road without much experience. There’s another test to get onto the next stage of license before you can get your full license 3 years minimum after you began. There was another test to get your full license but they got rid of it at the end of last year.

Pennsylvania tried to do a 40-hour of training minimum across 6 months before they’d let you take the test, but the training can be with any licensed driver. Every single parent I knew just filled out the form saying they hit 40 hours and I don’t think one person at the department of motor vehicles gave a gently caress. It was a joke.

Germany does it right because they honestly teach you, but the cost was around 2,000 EUR last I checked. The expense would kill most American families (lol we treat our citizens like they’re disposable) but is an option in a country with real, honest to god public transit options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Colostomy Bag posted:

Deer whistles, Slick 50, and if IIRC the Vornado (was some vane device you threw into your intake to create more laminar airflow) were also great options.

The Tornado Fuel Saver was a holy device that would give a man up to 15% improved performance alongside a tune-up on a neglected car.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

xzzy posted:

But over the top reactions to mundane poo poo is literally how you get those sweet youtube views. You just wait, when he breaks 200 subscribers it's really gonna take off!

A kid driving a Honda Element stopped me at a Chipotle once when he saw the motorcycle helmet, and asked me why I wasn't running a GoPro or some sort of recording device because "those drivers are dangerous, man". He then went on to show me a youtube video of him taking a benign situation of a car doing a lovely merging job on a highway (basically a video of an average Georgia driver) and exasperating it by speeding up and pointing at the driver, and screaming (while pointing at his camera). His girlfriend then started into how bikes are so dangerous and how he needed skin grafts after an accident for which they're still paying medical bills. :stare: Dude was 100% hamming for that sweet, sweet social media attention.

In retrospect, I probably should have chided him for riding like a loving dingus looking for youtube views. Who knows, with the way he rides he may end up getting his fame on No Prisoners, and his girlfriend can spend that ad revenue on his funeral bills.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe he had his foot mashed down on the floor and was throwing the shifter around until he realized it wasn't the wiper stalk. Accidents happen, you know! :shobon:

Pretty impressive traction on the truck too, considering the snowfall.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
Jeep YJs had the license-plate filler as well, IIRC, and that design lasted up until 1995, I think?

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

That's a hell of a way to save a few bucks. :stare:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
If someone ran into me and had a license plate that read “No insurance required”, I’d hogtie that rear end in a top hat with ratchet straps until they had a family member come drop off cold, hard cash for the repairs.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Oh word? Better commit a few felonies in response to a civil matter

Welcome to the Something Awful comedy forums where people make jokes about poo poo (my jokes are bad), enjoy your stay!

kastein posted:

I wouldn't do what he's joking about, but I'd call up my insurance company on the spot and tell them to get ready to raise hell and make sure I took a zillion pictures, and also get the police on site to charge them with everything because it'll be hard enough to collect even with that, nevermind without it. Sovcits really do think they are basically exempt from everything unless they want to abuse it to get things from others.

That’s where I was coming from - SovCits are the definition of “gently caress you, got mine” where they use social services paid by the public each day but refuse to believe that they’re part of the social system, and will raise hell to insane degrees to get out of paying or working for the most benign stuff. Look at how many of these dickheads go into courtrooms with the most patient judges offering them the ability to walk out of there with a small fine, and they still refuse to separate with a dime (and sometimes get tased with hilarious results). I can see some dickhead SovCit saying “we didn’t create joinder in this accident, I don’t owe you poo poo” and running out of there with no license plate and a fake name, and you or me getting to pay the comprehensible deduction and increased rates for years to come.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug
So, uh, do you live where they filmed Deliverance, or do you normally have people standing in the middle of the road at 5AM? :stare:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Lmao no he's a late 30s oilfield worker

Yes, this is literally the only thing it pulls. It replaced his 2 year old Chevy 2500HD diesel.

I’ll make a bet at 100:1 odds that he owns that truck to fit in with the other oil field guys, and uses the Harley as the excuse as to why he can’t own a smaller truck to his family and friends.

It’s loving wild seeing how suburban men are tricked into truck ownership as a proof of masculinity.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

I can at least answer the “Where” and guess AAMMMERRRIIICCAAAA. :patriot:

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Javid posted:

I love making those things flash angrily at me while on a bike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-wvAGl3L5U
Speed camera but you get the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

My sincere hope is that after humanity goes extinct in 200 years, the aliens that come to explore our ruins find this video.

It’s like the Rosetta Stone of the human psyche.