Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The one that's getting me lately is the split drive through lines. Has that been covered in here yet? I can't tell if it's the fault of the restaurants for doing this or if it's people being assholes and not caring about common courtesy.

Basically there are clear lines painted on the parking lot, for a single line of cars, and as you approach the window, the lines split the traffic into two lanes for the two ordering screens. But for whatever reason, tons of loving stupid assholes that never learned in kindergarten that you don't take cuts, see this as an invitation to jump the line and merge in where the lane splits. I mean, even if there were no lines on the parking lot clearly delineating the drive through lane, where do you get the brass to see an entire line of people waiting to order, and then just drive past them all and start a second line in front of them?

I almost got out of my car and lost my poo poo at a dude on Sunday morning trying to get an Egg McMuffin. Just like this pic only imagine more cars lined up. This is the actual McD's in question, and it was a sunny day, the lines are big, bright, and easy to see.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

xzzy posted:

Solution? Don't eat at McDonald's. :v:

gently caress that, the McRib is back, for a limited time only! It's like Louis CK says: It's up to you whether or not we're on the news tonight, but that thing's going in my face.

Two painted lanes would be nice, but the fire lane rules prohibit that in all but the widest of parking lots. I did get a chance to yell at a lady doing it a few months ago during the summer, as she drove by the line I just yelled "what are you doing?". She rolled her window up until she got to the ordering screen. I felt like a vigilante. I still had to wait 45 extra seconds for my Big Mac.

gently caress you all now I want a Big Mac.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Denver finally got the opposite of its usual "half inch of snow so let's all go 30". We got a few inches of snow that was melted with mag-chloride, so the roads were just wet last night for the most part. Cue the arctic freeze to drop it to ten below in the city, and it turned into sheet ice this morning. But the roads still looked clear, so everyone was driving like god drat maniacs, at 40-50 mph at times.

I got stuck in the snarls behind 4 separate accidents this morning, took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to go 50 miles. I-225 was a loving skating rink, some of the scariest driving I've ever done. I should have just stayed home.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

TrueChaos posted:

One of the things that bugs me most is slow drivers refusing to pull over and let faster traffic by. What I mean by this is when you wind up with a motorhome at the front of a 20+ car line doing 20 under the speed limit because the road is twisty & hilly and they don't know how to drive. Typically these roads have no passing zones, or if they do, they're short enough that one car can get by if they're lucky. These roads usually have spots for slower drivers to pull over, but no one uses them.

I got super lucky last summer when about 30 of us got stuck behind a guy doing this for nearly an hour. He was doing 40 in a 55 and passed numerous slow vehicle turnouts, with traffic thick enough the other way that there was no opportunity to pass at all. People were loving pissed. When we finally got out of the hills to a passing lane, all 20 drivers took off like rabid dogs. I was 3rd in line, so I floored it and the passing traffic got up to about 90 mph. The second I was past the slow driver I got back over and let off the gas to let angrier drivers pass me, and it saved my rear end because there were three motorcycle troopers set up with a speed trap on that passing lane. So the 2 cars in front of me and the car behind me got pulled over, while I looked innocent over in the right lane. I drove away, and the entire line of remaining cars got stuck behind the same loving motorhome again due to the cops. I felt bad for those other speeders but was very glad to not have an out of state ticket in my dad's car.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I drive my daughter to school because my bitch ex wife moved 30 miles away after I bought my condo. But yeah the other parents are loving outrageous. The school itself did a really good job with a wide street and a large bus stop area with a huge parking lot loop that has both ample parking and waiting areas and a smooth flow. And they stagger elementary vs junior high starting times so the traffic comes in phases.

But that doesn't stop half the parents from hogging the bus dropoff area, DOUBLE PARKING in the bus dropoff area, DOING loving UNSIGNALED U-TURNS in the bus drop off area, PARKING ON THE OPPOSITE SIDE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS JAYWALK through the bus drop off area, and PARKING IN THE CENTER TURN LANE AND MAKING THEIR KIDS OPEN THE DOOR INTO TRAFFIC AND THEN JAYWALK through the bus drop off area.

I actually hope some kid gets run down so they get some cops out there to enforce the rules. It's total mayhem and makes picking up my kid like driving through a loving combat zone.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

A guy in my Volvo club installed a real train horn in his trunk, the spare tire hole is D shaped so he just cut 3 holes in the flat side and mounted them down there with the compressor, and the tank up behind the back seat. It's really hard to describe just how loving loud they are. Like they would startle you even if he was on the other side of a building. He used it all the time, too. Got a couple noise/nuisance tickets for it, and one pretty serious ticket for honking it near a train crossing, scaring the poo poo out of all the other drivers because the guards weren't down.

He also honked at cyclists and pretty girls all the time which was usually pretty funny.

This morning's Denver commute sucked, there was just enough traction to fool every bro truck and AWD sedan into thinking there was no ice. On my 20 mile commute there were 3 people in the ditch and one bad 2-car accident. And there were still assholes weaving in and out thinking they could get ahead in bumper to bumper rush hour traffic.

At my work the snow days are called by a guy who lives 2 miles from work and drives an AWD Audi. I've taken snow days, but the company has never called a snow day in 5 years of working here. Better than my last job though, where they called a snow day and then forced you to use a vacation day on it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The most common way I've used the accelerator pedal to dodge accidents is when someone is merging/lane changing into me because they failed to check their blind spot. Depending on whether or not I'm already passing them, or more than halfway past, a little gas to put me in their peripheral vision is a lot safer than trying to brake hard enough to avoid it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

Connecticut has made all non-hands-free cell use, including texting, illegal. It has accomplished zilch.

Texting is illegal in Colorado too and it hasn't stopped anything. It's like people think "I wasn't texting, I was reading facebook" is totally different somehow. I got bumped in traffic recently and during her apology the girl slipped and said "I just looked up and suddenly traffic was stopped!" I was kind of distracted checking for damage at the time but as I played it over in my head afterwards I was like "yeah you retard that's why you don't look down".

I just don't get what's so god drat amazing on people's phones that they just have to be staring at it all the time. I have a computer, I read the internet, it's the same old boring poo poo day after day.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I had a fuckin rear end in a top hat this morning cut over on to the right shoulder, pass a few cars, then merge farther right into an on-ramp and then proceed to pass the zipper section and drive another quarter mile on the shoulder only to merge back in to 5mph traffic. He didn't really get anywhere, never left my field of view. I was wishing so badly for a cop to surprise him out of nowhere.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'm sure they're astonishing.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The real treat is when you pass them and do something (like switch back into the left lane) that makes them mad so now they follow at 80mph just to make sure they get a chance to give you the finger.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

I decided that I'm through being in the future single lane and I will be that guy who cruises up the soon to close lane right up until the end.

Me too, there are two spots on my once-a-week commute home from my daughter's school that are particularly free while the rest of the road is tied up. Both are where the freeway just drops a lane. One gives a warning that the lane ends in half a mile, and yet for some reason most people during rush hour just get over at that sign, leaving a completely empty lane for half a mile with traffic stopped in the next one.

The other is a 5 mile stretch of freeway that is 3 lanes, and then the right lane exits making the freeway two lanes. People jam up the two left lanes for at least 2 of the 5 miles, sometimes 3. I've decided that I'll take the empty right lane and if there's nowhere for me to politely and safely merge then I'll take the exit, but I've never had to. By the time you get to the exit, traffic is speeding up and there are plenty of gaps to merge into without even slowing anything down.

Highway dynamics are strange.

For Denver drivers: I'm talking about westbound where 70 and 76 merge, and southbound 470 between Golden and Morrison.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Actually I just watched that video again and she was pacing the trucks in the slow lane, specifically to piss off the bro truck. You can see a rear wheel right at the beginning. That entire first minute she just sticks right next to them. Dumb oval office.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 27, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Tonight on the way home, the center lane was stopped and the left lane was moving slowly, the dumb jerk in front of me decided to stop and hold up all left lane traffic so she could honk at someone in the middle lane to get her attention and flip her off. I guess she didn't like the way she merged a half mile back or some poo poo. Joke was on her though, the center lane chick never looked over, and given there was now at least 1/8 mile of empty road in the left lane I felt obliged to lay on my horn.

Unquenched road rage is the worst road rage, I had to chuckle a little.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

This does bring to mind a weakness on my part. When I see people stopped at a green I tend to assume they're a stupid moron who is too busy reading their phone to pay attention in traffic. And in most cases I'm right. Once in a while they're stopped for a reason like an rear end in a top hat pedestrian jaywalking or an animal in the road, but so often it's just driver inattention that I've gotten out of the habit of slowing down and going on alert. I likely would have done the same thing as that driver, and that scares me.

So many people these days just take their cue from other drivers that they either sit at greens until someone honks, or they drive into a car in front of them because the lane next to them started moving, but it was a turn lane. I've witnessed the latter twice in the last few years.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 13, 2014

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Had a very very close call when a lady in the right lane decided that she had to make the left hand turn RIGHT loving NOW. I was going about 55 in the left lane,

Then you posted the exact location so we could internet detective you and rat you out for going 55 in a 35. I'm all for speeding but 20 over in a busy urban setting is pretty dangerous. She probably had plenty of room if you were driving sanely. You are the people with which we share the road. On the other hand, as close as you were to that next intersection I think you either made a typo or overestimated your speed.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

kastein posted:

I've noticed that if I hang back at a respectable/normal masshole distance (I refuse to tailgate) and flick my passing lights, about 40% of idiots plugging up the left lane will notice by the third or fourth time I do it.

So yeah, if you aren't flicking your passing lights at the oblivious idiot, I'm gonna pass you on the right and do it for you, sorry. Then we can hopefully both pass the idiot before they go right back into the left lane to hang out again because 65 in the middle lane is nowhere near as cool as 65 in the left lane.

I have stopped flashing people because people seem to take it as a sign of hostility now. I mean, it makes sense. If they're unfamiliar enough with the rules of the road that they park in the left lane, they're too ignorant to know that flashing means "excuse me". I can't tell you how many times I've flashed someone, they do nothing, and when I finally pass on the right they then flash me back as if it's the same thing as a flipoff or something.

My biggest frustration lately is highway 285 between 470 and Santa Fe here in Denver. Last year they did a shitload of bridge construction improving everything, then raised the speed limit to 65. Nobody seems to have noticed and I always get stuck behind a pair of assholes doing 55 side by side. Which is hilarious because back when it was 55 everyone did 70.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

thelightguy posted:

Depends, is it a junction between two one-way streets? In that case, left on red is legal.

In Oregon it doesn't even have to be two one ways. You can turn left on red onto a one way from a two way.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

tuna posted:

I try to stick to overtaking/going faster in the left lanes (my Jeep is certainly not the fastest on the road so I got no problem sticking to middle lane areas), but I have no problem overtaking on an inside lane (CA) if it happens.

The other thing about that video is the rear end in a top hat in the camry was changing lanes without signaling in the first place. I almost wonder if they were not really intending to change lanes but were already raging and decided to play road police. Camry is in the wrong 100%.

tuna posted:

The thing that pisses me off is when it comes to single lane highway sections through mountains. There are occasional 2-lane overtake zones so a normal vehicle can overtake trucks/haulers etc. instead of going 30-55 the entire way. These sections are usually straight sections for safe overtaking. The problem is these idiots in their topheavy minibuses or hauling lovely trailers suddenly realize they can go 75mph in a straight line! Great so now I run out of room overtaking several cars going fast in a straight line and have to sit behind them for another 10 miles doing 35mph around every single corner.

I posted about my last experience with this earlier in the thread, here:

LloydDobler posted:

I got super lucky last summer when about 30 of us got stuck behind a guy doing this for nearly an hour. He was doing 40 in a 55 and passed numerous slow vehicle turnouts, with traffic thick enough the other way that there was no opportunity to pass at all. People were loving pissed. When we finally got out of the hills to a passing lane, all of us took off like rabid dogs. I was 3rd in line, so I floored it and the passing traffic got up to about 90 mph. The second I was past the slow driver I got back over and let off the gas to let angrier drivers pass me, and it saved my rear end because there were three motorcycle troopers set up with a speed trap on that passing lane. So the 2 cars in front of me and the car behind me got pulled over, while I looked innocent over in the right lane. I drove away, and the entire line of remaining cars got stuck behind the same loving motorhome again due to the cops. I felt bad for those other speeders but was very glad to not have an out of state ticket in my dad's car.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Deeters posted:

So I go through this intersection everyday coming home from work (coming from the bottom):

It's a little hard to tell, but sitting at the light you see that the two straight lanes are perfectly lined up with the lines on the three lanes on the other side of the interesection. Normally, people in the leftmost lane stay to the left across the intersection (most go to that next left turn lane) and the right lane goes to the middle lane. That far right lane becomes a turn only lane just beyond the edge of the picture. Today I almost got sideswiped because I was in the right lane and the car to my left tried to get in the same lane as me.

And that got me thinking: what the hell is the correct lane choice? Not that it's going to change what 95% of the other cars going through that intersection do, but I'd like to know who's to blame when someone eventually collides.

I think the most obvious/logical answer is far left lane stays in the far left lane, right actually gets to choose. But the real answer is the city should paint some god drat lines like they did for the other directions.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

There are so many flashing yellow left turn signals in Portland. No one understands them. No one. Especially when the arrow turns green and the car is still sitting there waiting for on coming traffic.

Yeah this is the new standard, they're popping up everywhere in Denver too. Here, people sit at them wondering what to do when there's nobody coming from the other direction, only going when it turns solid yellow. The one right by my office is 2 lanes, I love coming up and blasting past an idiot sitting there at the blinking yellow.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Is anyone else bothered that this thread's title ends with a proposition?

Preposition :eng101: and yes. Every time I read it. These are the people with which we share a forum. (My dad used to be an English teacher and beat poo poo like that into me throughout my childhood. I'd bother him immensely by saying stuff like my car needs fixed or I don't want no dinner. No matter how many times I did it he never noticed I was joking and would correct me every time.)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Hah. I don't even try to U-turn in my FWD Volvos unless it's 3 lanes the other way. My old one can almost u-turn in a parking space.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I was on the jury for a case here in Colorado, where a guy got the cops called on him for sleeping in his car. He had been there for hours, and there was a trail of oil back to the dip in the road where he clearly smacked his oil pan and disabled his car. He was in the drivers seat, keys were in the console, but there was no alcohol on his breath or evidence like bottles, nothing.

Cops woke him up and made him walk the line. He turned the opposite way the officer said to turn, then they made him stand on one leg for over two minutes until he bobbled. They called that DUI.

We found him not guilty.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Siochain posted:

I do that all the time, with any vehicle. Partially because I don't want some fuckknob to box me in/ding my ride. Partially because I'm a fatass and can use the walk.

Exactly on both counts. I even had someone pull in 2 spaces away from me once and go "do you park out here to avoid dings?" And I was all "Yup" and he smiled and was like "me too". I still muttered under my breath that he was still too close to me.

In other news, some rear end in a top hat was doing 40 in a 45 down the road below, so 5 cars were stacked up behind him. I pulled into the middle lane just in time to catch him slam on the brakes to do a U-turn right in this exact "no U-turn" marked location, causing all 4 remaining cars behind him to panic stop and near-miss each other. If I had a camera I would have caught the whole thing, I will at some point.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

PaganGoatPants posted:

I wish people would not stop in the middle lane to let people through when I'm in the outermost lane and CAN'T SEE THE CAR THEY STOPPED FOR.

I would be car B and they are turning into a gas station. Of course I can't see around A and neither can the person turning...

I watched a bicyclist get totally busted up in that exact situation, only the cyclist was passing on the right of the stopped traffic and it was a van entering the gas station. Both lanes stopped for the van, bike got smacked. I was a witness in the court case too, which unfortunately the bicyclist lost because he was not in a marked bike lane, illegally passing on the right. Guy got stuck with like $50k in hospital bills.

The real kicker? The bike lane started at the next intersection, about 150 feet down the road, and a few years later extended up to where the accident happened.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

StormDrain posted:

Been working in a small town Colorado and going back to Denver on the weekends. As time progresses I get more concerned about the caliber of driver in the city. It may have a lot to do with how important my car is to my livelihood, but I'm drat nervous about getting into a collision. It's crazy how different drivers are the closer I get to the city.

You're not kidding. Denver drivers are incredibly aggressive while simultaneously not paying attention to jack poo poo around them. I've changed my habits considerably since moving here, but for the better. I drive really fast but follow at large distances.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

PhoenixWing posted:

Met a real life crazy person today.

This is one of the many reasons I don't do any stickers of any kind on my cars. People today are so eager to get pissed off, especially while driving. Last thing I need is some tightwad telling me about his loving stupid opinions that I obviously disagree with due to the stickers I'd put on.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

PT6A posted:

An idea occurs: it seems to me that a large part of really lovely driving behaviour comes from a failure to be able to navigate in unfamiliar territory and/or a great fear of what to do after one has missed one's turn. Upon reflection, I don't think "how to unfuck yourself when lost" was ever a skill that was taught in drivers' ed. Having gone on a godforsaken wild goose chase today*, more or less, but having never put anyone in danger as a result, I'm thinking this is perhaps a skill we should focus on.

I love driving, so a couple things I did a lot when I was younger, but still do from time to time are:

1) Get lost on purpose. I just take a turn I've never taken before, or follow a street I've never gone down, and then just cruise around using my sense of direction to try and get back to a major road that I know is somewhere in that direction. These days I'll study google maps and then head out to see if I can find the route I picked.

2) Pick a landmark and try to get to it with no directions. This works best with something you can see from multiple locations such as a radio tower or a hilltop or famous building with a view of some kind, or something with signs that lead to it but no directions other than that.

It's a lot of fun, and I tend to be able to read side streets really well for dead ends and such. So many times when you're trying to double back on your route, it turns out the neighborhood is culdesacs or curvy roads that throw off your sense of direction. Staying on the main arterials can be critical. I highly recommend these activities for any driving enthusiast.

And something I'm going to do with my daughter once she knows the main highways around town is drive her somewhere she's never been and make her drive home with no navigation.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

nsaP posted:

Yes but let me tell you about this thing called zipper merging

Reminds me that I wanted to post, last week a guy decided he didn't want people driving up to the merge point in the right lane, so he began to merge about 1/4 mile before the merge point behind me (I was in the 2nd-to-right lane already), and drove with his tires on the lines making a space for himself to merge in, but refusing to let anyone else pass. So we all got up to the merge point and they all merged just like he was trying to prevent them from doing. I'm still trying to wrap my head around it, basically he played road police by preventing a few people from merging maybe 10 cars ahead of where he decided they should merge. It really didn't hinder or help anyone.

I decided that he was the dickhead in this scenario. Except he did accomplish one thing, and that's filling up the merge lane to the merge point (albeit with angry, angry people)

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

It's funny that a lot of people don't even think about their coverage and have only state minimum. If you rear end someone in an S8 and send two of the passengers to the hospital with whiplash your 15k state minimum liability is going to do exactly jack poo poo. Upping your liability coverage is cheap and is a really, really good idea if you've got assets and would like to keep them/are planning on acquiring any in the near (or far) future.

I have my current insurance agent to thank for getting me off this train. He doesn't just sell you what you ask for, he calls you in to the office once every couple years and has a meeting to "evaluate your portfolio". This is on the one hand an excellent sales tactic in that he gets face to face time rather than phone calls where you can't wait to hang up. But on the other hand it can really benefit you as a policyholder. Here I was almost 20 years into my career, making a professional wage, and even though I had full comprehensive and collision, I was still running state minimums. He simply said "You know, you make enough that if you cause an accident that hits the policy limit they'll come after your wages and assets." Then I found out it was only like $12 a month to more than triple my coverage.

gently caress yeah insurance man, you earn that commission.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Once in a while if traffic is light I'll do all 4 loops and continue on in my original direction just for the hell of it:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.725475,-105.0817444,472m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

But yeah these are the worst traffic jam spots during rush hour, there's just no room to merge, one timid driver will gently caress it up for everyone.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The worst part of that china one is that he was trying to revenge brake check a guy in a faster car. So he had to weave, lane split, and cut off everyone else on the road just to get ahead of him. Stupid.

If I ever did something on the road that pissed off someone else so bad they'd brake check and block me, I'd simply turn, exit, or slow down to let them get ahead, even if that meant pulling over. If they pulled over with me, I'd wait till they got out of their car and either drive off or back up or whatever, just to get the gently caress away from the crazy person.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Snow in Colorado today. This morning's near death experience brought to you by the idiot in the Civic in front of me who waited until the last minute to brake and did a 180. Saw fear in his eyes as I carefully slowed to a stop 8 feet away from his car.

Also brought to you by the idiot in a Rav4 FWD model with bald all seasons, pedal to the metal going nowhere up a hill. There's one semi-steep valley in my neighborhood and this guy should have figured out how to go around it. Except there is no way around it, it cuts through all major north south roads on this side of town. I got into the left lane early and breezed by like an rear end in a top hat, unlike the 4-5 poor saps stuck behind him.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

From that point on, he had two neutrals.

For some reason this made me imagine Pippin and Merry from Lord of the Rings teaching Aragorn how to drive it.

"What about second neutral?" "I don't think he knows about second neutral."

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

What I couldn't believe was the guy with the dashcam staying right with them. I'd have been in the right lane and backed way off after watching all that nonsense, KNOWING that was bound to happen. Of course then we wouldn't have sweet sweet video on the internet.

But yeah the truck going passive aggressive on the camaro was really loving stupid. It's like the saying "Never argue with ignorant people - they'll drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience". That's exactly what just happened. The pickup fooled himself into being just as terrible as the camaro.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Murphys Law posted:

Driving to work this morning I'm in the left lane of the main road in my area. There's a bro-truck behind me, but both lanes are moving at a decent pace so no problem. About a quarter to half a mile before the on-ramp for the highway I move into the right lane. I'm about one and a half car lengths behind the car in front of me and there is nobody behind me. After several seconds the guy in the bro truck decides to gun it and get in front of me. I figure fine, he just has to get on the highway a whole car length sooner than if he'd just pulled in behind me. I was wrong because he promptly slowed down to make a right turn, which for some reason couldn't have been done behind me. Really, dude?

I had the exact same thing happen to me last night, except replace bro truck with dude flogging the poo poo out of a POS Kia and tailgating everyone.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

xzzy posted:

Happens all the loving time. Garbage truck picking up a load? UPS van? Construction vehicles? Double yellows cease to hold any meaning whatsoever and traffic will gleefully dive into the oncoming lanes to get around the obstruction even if there's cars already in the way.

In Colorado what that truck did was perfectly legal. He even gave the biker the requisite 3 feet. As long as it's clear, double yellows do not have to be obeyed when passing a bicycle. It was widely publicized a year or two ago when there was the video of that rear end in a top hat who rode 2 feet off the rear end of a bicyclist with his horn blaring the whole time, instead of passing as he was legally allowed to do.

What I hate are when bicyclists ride on a road like this instead of the beautiful bike lane that their taxes paid for that is safely 30-40 feet off the roadway. I encounter cyclists on this stretch of road all the time. The bike lane is even marked and outfitted with proper stop signs and yield signs.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are you in Fort Collins? Massive network of totally separate bike lanes there, but I wouldn't be surprised to hear that cyclists ride on the road anyway because, well, they're cyclists.

Nah, southwest Littleton. Urban sprawl heaven. The bike lane network down here is really nice, I used to ride to work when I worked down here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yeah they can be strict in CO. I drove my last convertible for 5 years with no front plate, but almost never parked it on the street in the city. Just last week a friend got a no front plate ticket while parked on the street in front of his house.