Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

Those stickers and warnings do nothing. Audi ended up issuing an update that includes installing a filler neck insert that only opens with the bigger diesel nozzle. I'm not sure that they will do a whole lot of anything though. I can imagine people will keep shoving the unleaded nozzle in there until the insert breaks and falls down the filler neck.

The same thing used to happen with airplanes, and still does occasionally.

The problem was largely solved by changing the filler ports and nozzles so that Jet-A nozzles were large and rectangular shaped, while Avgas (essentially leaded gasoline) nozzles were substantially smaller and round, which meant that it was generally impossible to misfuel a piston aircraft with jet fuel. It was also recommended that pilots of turbocharged aircraft remove any "turbo" badging from the exteriors, to reduce the chances of a fueler thinking "turbo" meant "turbine" and trying to put jet fuel into the airplane.

I used to work for a flight school that had a student manage to top off a trainer with about 20 gallons of jet fuel despite all of those safeguards being in place. The aircraft in question had fairly large fuel filler openings to enable the pilot to visually see how much fuel was in the tank, and they were apparently just large enough that they could set a Jet-A nozzle on top of the opening (it wouldn't fit inside) and carefully put fuel into the tank without it spilling all over the wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

jamal posted:

I don't notice much activity or intrusion out of the abs on snow/ice/loose surfaces at all. Which is funny because Subaru got a bunch of complaints about the abs not working on snow and loose surfaces after the wrx came out. Until I experience it first hand I'm going to keep blaming it on too much speed on inappropriate tires.

I've got an 03 Forester with an ABS system that occasionally gets confused by ice. At higher speeds it reacts exactly like you'd expect it to, but at lower speeds (under about 10 MPH) it'll occasionally kick in under even light braking, although a couple of quick pumps on the brake pedal in that situation somehow convinces the ABS to resume working properly.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
At least in the US, I think pretty much every police car/motorcycle carries a breathalyzer, and the field sobriety tests are used as more of a "first look" at whether someone is impaired, as well as giving police probable cause to arrest someone for DUI if they blow under the limit but fail the field tests.

I've served on a jury in a DUI case where the police arrested someone based on failed sobriety tests (the initial stop was for throwing litter out a car window) despite the person being under the legal limit, which wasn't enough to convince the jurors. In that case, the only tests used were the "walk and turn" and the gaze tests, so i suspect the backwards alphabet doesn't hold up in court very well.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Ludicro posted:

So I'm visiting the US, and I've only been here for three days and I've already seen more crazy poo poo in that time than I have in the last six months back home. Do all Americans drive like such maniacs?

Americans see driving as a right and not a privilege, and since the standards to get a drivers license here are laughably easy, you end up with a lot of people driving who have no business doing so.

The level of bad drivers seems to depend on where you are. I grew up in Arizona, which has a wonderful combination of tons of elderly drivers (especially in the winter), large numbers of uninsured drivers, no vehicle inspections, and drivers licenses that don't expire until age 65. Combine that with 330 days of sunshine a year, and you end up with people crashing into everything in sight every time it rains, putting their cars through buildings when they confuse the brake and gas, driving 30 MPH under the limit in the left lane of the interstate, and generally being morons behind the wheel.

I also spent a few years in North Dakota (where the roads are icy 9 months of the year, and they don't salt), and probably because the weather is so bad there, the natives generally did a pretty good job of driving in challenging conditions much of the year. That said, there were always idiots (usually with lifted bro-trucks) who couldn't grasp that all wheel drive doesn't mean all wheel stop on ice.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
I got a good sized dent on the front fender of my Mazda 3 (when the car was maybe two weeks old) from the local police department tackling someone into the side of it during a foot chase through the parking lot of my apartment complex.

It took me a couple weeks to figure out what had happened (I'd assumed it was from a lifted pickup opening the door into my car, until a neighbor who had seen the chase told me the real story), and since I didn't report the damage immediately, the police department refused to pay to fix it, despite the department admitting they were at fault.