Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mooseykins posted:

I've had a similar experience:

:j: Do you have a courtesy car for while mine is being repaired?
:downs: No, sorry.
:j: Why not?
:rolleyes: Well, this is a two-man operation, we're not a dealer, we don't supply courtesy cars.
:j: Can i use your car then?
:raise: No, of course not.

Customers can be cheeky c*nts sometimes. Use my car? No, you can gently caress right off.

Last time I went to a small shop, the mechanic drove me, in my own car, to the reasonably nearby LRT station. I thought that was a good way to handle it, assuming your city has decent public transit.

Also, you can say 'oval office' here. Starring out one letter doesn't really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I didn't know left turns worked differently in other places. Here in Alberta, you drive into the intersection, so that you're in the intersection but not obstructing oncoming traffic. When the yellow light comes, you wait for the oncoming traffic to stop, then you complete your turn.b This is how you're taught in driver's ed, it's standard practice, and I consider it completely safe. Obviously, you can't obstruct oncoming traffic in the process, you only need to advance into the intersection straight, while keeping your wheels straight (in case of someone rear-ending you). Without this, I don't think you'd be able to turn left during rush hour ever.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

8ender posted:

In Ontario I feel like we're right on the edge of it being socially acceptable to flash brights at someone doing this like they do in Europe. I've seen it done lots of times now and people seem to move over without any sort of drama or rage.

I really want this to be a thing because people passing on the right causes lots of near misses.

I have to think Alberta's still the reigning champion in the per-capita "assholes who can't use the left lane properly" rate. Apart from the usual idiots, I was driving out to BC last weekend with my Dad, and we came upon multiple people who decided they absolutely needed to be in the passing lane on the Trans-Canada (where, on certain stretches, you don't get them all that often). Several of them actually, upon moving into the right lane to let us pass (only about half of the people were bright enough to do this), resumed driving in the left-hand lane afterward.

We have "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs all along. What more do we need?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I...how is this supposed to work? :ohdear:

I didn't want to say anything in case I looked like an idiot, but, yeah, that's not a roundabout design that makes any sense, unless I'm really missing something.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Friar Zucchini posted:

I've got a Suburban, I know the pain of parking stuff like that. Solution: If there's just a single parking spot with a car or curb on both sides, I just back in. I'm pretty good at judging where the back end is, and the mirrors work fine so it's really not difficult and doesn't involve hopping curbs or pushing cars out of the way.

If you're driving an SUV or truck and not backing into parking spots the majority of the time, you're probably doing it wrong. Or cars, for that matter. Backing in is just so much easier and safer once you get used to it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

xzzy posted:

Tell that to the clowns I call co-workers who back in every single day, and end up at some random angle that is in no way parallel with the parking lines. You'd think they'd get better at it over time.. but nope.

I hate to break it to you, but they'd probably end up crooked pulling in normally too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

EightBit posted:

Good luck doing that in a cramped lot with angled parking spots, especially when an impatient soccer mom is inches off of your bumper.

Oh yeah, it's certainly not possible everywhere (city parking lots here in Calgary don't let you back in because they use an automatic plate-checker car and we don't have front plates), but it's good to do it where it is possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

So its okay for cars to blow lights and stopsigns on a regular basis but cyclists can't? Please explain.

No, it's lovely for either cars or cyclists to blow stop signs and red lights and I don't think anyone here has said or implied otherwise. I think all Disgruntled Bovine was pointing out was that in all likelihood, the second driver was a terrible driver because they weren't paying adequate attention, not because they were overly impatient.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I was going to the grocery store when I encountered an old, useless gently caress in an Audi confused by my little scheme of backing into a parking spot. Seriously? I had signalled appropriately, just get out of the goddamn way and let me park for two seconds, and then do whatever it is that's so very important to you that you had to stop exactly where I was doing the turn-out

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gorillian Dollars posted:

I figured texting on your phone, using a tablet or doing something other than driving in a car was unsafe, this will revolutionize the way people crash into eachother:

"-Designed to be used in a vehicle's steering wheel (when turned upside down), this work surface is an ergonomic work solution for tablets or writing

- Increase efficiency and comfortability by creating a forward working solution that is ergonomic and simple to use

- Manufactured with a durable powder coated wood material, it is lightweight and smooth, making it comfortable to write on

- Intended to mount on the steering wheel in seconds and can be stowed between the seats, creating a quick and safe solution for the mobile worker

- Developed for the mobile worker on the road needing support for their tablet or a great place to write
"

Insurance companies will weep while garages will have a field day in profits.
http://www.amazon.com/AutoExec-Wheelmate-Steering-Attachable-Surface/dp/B00E1D1GY6/ref=cm_cd_ql_qh_dp_t

I'm pretty sure that's intended to be used solely when the car is stopped. Not that it will stop people, of course...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dead Cow posted:

A lot of schools these days require that the kids are dropped off and picked up but they didn't think of the ramifications of forcing hundreds of cars to all come at the same time.

Yeah, they put a school in my parent's neighbourhood without any concern for the traffic it would cause. It's predictably hellish at pickup and drop-off times, and the worst part is, even though there are crossing guards to keep the kids safe, they still routinely jaywalk so even when cars are supposed to be allowed to pass, there are pedestrians in the way. There's also no "loop" for loading and unloading, so you have a bunch of people doing illegal u-turns in some very bizarre places, despite the fact that you can get back to the main roads by proceeding straight ahead no matter which direction you came from. How it ever got planning permission is beyond me.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

In a British study, 123 of 501 accidents where found to have happened during pursuits.

Pursuits would only be a small fraction of high-speed driving, I would imagine. The much larger part would be responding to calls, especially if you have a large patrol area, I would think.

On the other hand, my friend, who's an RCMP officer, nearly put my Mustang into the ditch because he took a corner too fast, so I'm guessing they could use better high-speed driving training. I just assumed he wouldn't be a complete retard at high speed driving, but boy was I wrong!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

So the ones with the bright red front-loader drive a Lexus SUV?

I'll have you know that my red front-loader was here when I bought my condo, and it has worked superbly ever since (Wrinkle Care is awesome because I am lazy and do not take things out of the machine right away). I drive a Mustang, if you're interested in tracking the statistics.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

8ender posted:

This is super disruptive in the winter when lit brake lights on the highway usually mean holy poo poo I've hit some nasty patch of ice/snow/wreckage.

Braking because you've hit ice? That's not a very good idea at all.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why is the brake pedal on an auto different from on a manual? Why isn't there just nothing (or perhaps a dead pedal) where the clutch would go? It's not like you need the brake pedal to be twice as wide, and indeed it only motivates poor driving habits in 95% of cases.

I've definitely made the same mistake a few times, and I've been known to reach for the phantom gearshift too.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Attention idiot drivers: school zones only apply on school days. Spring break is not a school day. I don't have kids, and I still know this because I'm not a shut-in. If I didn't, for whatever reason, I could visually confirm that school is not in session because the flag is not raised. As it's not a school day, it would be greatly appreciated if you went 50 km/h instead of 25 km/h. This also applies during weekends, stat holidays, and those other break periods we know as "winter" and "summer" vacation (so named as they are located, respectively, in those seasons, for your future reference).

Thanks,

The rest of the driving public

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Maybe it's just me, but I speed often enough that I really wouldn't want to do anything else to draw attention to my car (which is why it's boring-rear end dark grey). If the law says "get a front plate," just do it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

subx posted:

I get pissed at idiots that cross willy nilly and expect you to stop, but if you actually go to a crosswalk and wait for the light, gently caress anyone that is in too big of a hurry (or just a dick) to let you go across. I've seen so many people get so close to being run down (and at least a couple actually be hit) that are following all the rules.

I'm so paranoid anytime I cross a street on foot - I don't trust anyone.

On the other hand, just today, in a similar situation, I had to stop in the middle of a turn when the pedestrians that had been standing at the corner for five seconds, not facing the direction they eventually walked, jumped out in front of me. Pedestrians can be unpredictable, so it's not always the driver's fault if they get stranded in the middle of a turn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

Easiest way to deal with tailgaters? Just let off the gas and start going slower. Eventually they will go around you or back off to a reasonable enough distance where you can speed back up again. gently caress tailgaters.

Or you could just let them pass. I mean, I don't like tailgaters either, but the easiest and safest way for me to deal with them is to just give them what they want with no drama.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

As long as you keep right, I don't really care what speed you choose to go. Clearly, some vehicles just can't safely keep up with the speed of traffic and it's crazy to suggest they must. However, there is no reason they should be impeding traffic either -- keep right on a multi-lane highway, pull over periodically on smaller highways.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Can someone explain to me what is so loving difficult to understand about the following sign?

I can't tell you how many times I'm entering the added lane and someone in front of me stops for traffic in the next lane. There's no need to stop, you have your own drat lane!

One of the intersections changed from a yield to an added lane (with that exact sign) for a heavily-used right turn. For months, people would stop and "yield" at the same place the old sign had been, because apparently nothing ever changes and there's no need to pay attention to anything. Eventually, it got so bad I'd just preemptively cover my horn and get ready to lay on it when some dipshit came to a stop (often, when they wouldn't have had to yield to traffic anyway!).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Had a good one today. Young lad in a modified VW Lupo, lowered quite a bit, driving right up my chuff because I was doing the speed limit in a housing estate. Perhaps if he'd been a bit farther back, he'd have noticed the fairly vicious speed hump which, being in a car I don't particularly care about, I led our impromptu convoy over at 30. Pretty sure his testicles are now internal organs. And he had his girlfriend in the car too. :laugh:

Earlier was a more mundane one. Come up a residential street, and you've got people parked all up one side, my left, effectively making it a single lane. Some woman pulls out of a junction a little way up the road, and just starts down toward me. Then realises I'm coming the other way. Then gets irritated and starts flapping her hands around when I make hand gestures (no, not those kind) to her that she needs to move back. Yes, technically, as I was overtaking parked cars on "her" side of the road, she had right of way, but I was already most of the way past by the point she made an appearance, and I'm not reversing a hundred yards down a street just because she's too dozy to look before pulling out.

How do they even enforce these? What's the legal definition of "compact"?

They can't, really, and half the time the compact spots aren't even that much smaller than the regular spots. I swear to god, all parking spots have been slowly getting narrower for a few years now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I saw the most marvellous parking job earlier today at the grocery store. It wasn't just slightly askew, it had to be nearly at 30 degrees to the parking stall. Luckily, it worked out very well for me, because it meant that, although the corners of our vehicles were close, I had plenty of room to open the drivers door because that part of the offending truck was a good two feet away from it. I just don't get how you could possibly be so lazy about parking.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Solar Coaster posted:

This has been asked many times on local papers and news. Some of the responses said "speed limit is 60 so I am doing the speed limit". They literally play a passive aggressive traffic cop. And god help you when you try to pass these assholes.

Same thing in Calgary -- there's always a bunch of jerk-offs writing smug letters to the editor. "It's a speed limit, guys! If I want to go 90 km/h in the left lane of Deerfoot, it's my right, and if you speed, you're breaking the law!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

I'm actually from :canada: but every time I go down to Washington there's ALWAYS some fucker in the left lane doing exactly the speed limit. I have a feeling that's why "left lane is for passing only you shitheads" is a law there now...

They do the speed limit??? Here in Calgary, having at least one lane of an expressway going the speed limit is what we call an exceptional day.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Cage posted:

I notice this all the time and its seems like such a confusing practice, its exactly as you describe. They creep along inch by inch until the light turns green, then they turn into a grandma driving a tan car. I also like when theres a long line of cars stopped, the first car pulls forward a foot or so and then all the cars behind him move forward like a caterpillar. Whats the point? When I stop my car stays stopped. No, car behind me, inching towards my bumper isnt going to make me move forward unless the gap is at least a cars length.

heh, automatic driving sheeples am i right :smug:

Also, creepers or people who simply can't stop at or before the stop line are a loving pain in the rear end when people are trying to turn right on a red light.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Rabble posted:

I go the speed limit because I can't afford and don't want another traffic ticket. But I am more than happy not to be in the left lane and to let people pass because I'm not a self important dick.

I don't have the slightest problem with that. I have a problem with people going 10 km/h under the speed limit, or otherwise obstructing the flow of traffic in the left lane. I have no ego about it, myself. I don't give a gently caress how fast I'm going, whether it's above the speed limit or below: if you come up behind me and you want to go faster, I will move right and allow you to pass because it's the right thing to do and we'll all be much happier as a result. If I'm not overtaking, I'll move right as a matter of principle; at worst, I'll have to (god forbid!) change lanes again at some point to overtake.

EDIT: To clarify, the speed limit on the highway I mentioned is either 100 km/h or 110 km/h, so in good weather, there's not much point to going 90 km/h. Especially not in the left hand lane. If I could drive across the city, consistently doing the speed limit, I would be very happy indeed.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 28, 2014

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Geirskogul posted:

I may be a dick in this regard, but gently caress letting people out of parking lots, especially near a busy intersection. It holds everyone up behind you. They can wait for a gap in traffic, as I've had to do many, many times, and will have to do many more in my lifetime. Like waving somebody through a 4-way stop when you have the right of way, you're only inviting trouble.

I think you need to use discretion. There are some parking lots around here that it would basically be impossible to exit during rush hour if no one ever let people in, since traffic is always backed up from the nearest lights to the parking lot exit.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Nothing really dangerous as such, but there's something about 16th Ave in Calgary that I just noticed and I can't figure out. Despite the clearly-marked changes in speed limit (60->90->70->90) heading east out of the city, people will usually just go 60-70 until they leave the city limits, where it goes up to 110. Why? Why not at least try to maintain the speed limit or something close to it? It happened in a more limited way coming back in, with an added helping of "idiot you just passed going 110 in the 110 zone now passing you going 110 in a 70 zone."

Do people not even bother to watch for speed limit changes? That's the only thing I can think of; these signs must just be entirely ignored by a major segment of the driving population.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Great Beer posted:

Or trying to not get pulled over in the worlds most obvious speed trap.

The slight slowdowns to 70 all surround major intersections with lights; there's an actual reason for their existence beyond being speed traps, and they are placed logically.

Being honest, I don't think we really have that many speed traps around here. Most reductions in speed have some sort of logic behind them. On the other hand, I can't for the life of me figure out why the speed limit on Glenmore Trail by Macleod stayed the same after they removed several sets of lights and engineered the gently caress out of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

What about the times when DRLs make it much easier to see oncoming traffic, i.e. when everyone involved is following the law and not drunk? Especially when I'm on highways where I (and others) have to overtake into oncoming traffic, I really, really like that little bit of extra visibility. Yeah, you shouldn't have any problems without DRLs, but everyone makes mistakes. It would be nice if automatic headlights AND DRLs were both mandatory, in my opinion, so we get the best of all worlds.

Mind you, then you have people who don't feel the need to obey signs that say "use headlights through tunnel." I swear I was the only one who was doing it all the way over Rogers Pass. How loving hard is it to turn your headlight switch to "on"?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

^^^ They do, in fact. Later in the video, you'll see him nearly get out of his vehicle with reverse still engaged!

KozmoNaut posted:

"Driving a big Audi SUV means I'll never be stuck, even on summer tires :downs:"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuTXUcoGdhw

E: I am blind.

That reminds me of watching SUVs struggle with grip while I confidently accelerate in my Mustang, on the basis that I have winter tires and I realize that being gentle on the throttle and careful with the clutch is the way to go.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Siochain posted:

Are you me? I love winter. This is WHY I love winter. Every time there's a lovely-assed blizzard I load up my recovery straps, a jerry can full of gas, some traction plates (that I need to make new ones of damnit) and bomb around looking for stuck people while I drift every corner in my big-assed truck. I loving love snow, and I've driven in it since I had a quad at the age of 7 to whip around in. poo poo's not hard to drive in folks. But it IS fun.

It's not really fun for me, because you have to dodge every loving idiot that has no idea how to drive properly in the winter. I've driven the Mustang in a -30 blizzard at 1 in the morning before, and there were a few dicey moments, but it was fine. Mix in other traffic and I'm sure bad poo poo would've happened.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

This was my dad's reaction when we finally convinced him to get a set of steelies and snow tires for the first time a couple of years ago, after living somewhere along the Michigan-Ontario axis for his entire life. "Holy poo poo! These things really work in the snow, did you know that?"

Drives me fuckin' nuts. My Mom is extremely nervous about winter driving, to the point where she'll just not drive if there's been a recent snowfall, and every car she gets absolutely must be AWD, yet she doesn't get snow tires. I don't understand it. I'd rather drive a RWD vehicle with proper winter rubber on it than an AWD car with lovely all-seasons.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

InitialDave posted:

I'm big enough that cyclists who have tried this have had it go very badly for them.

But again, we see the switch: You are talking about footpaths. Footpaths. For the use of those on foot. A slight deviation from, as was quite clear, cyclepaths. I will not insult you with the etymology of the latter.

It depends on the situation. Yes, I know everyone hates that, but it's true. I've clocked 40+mph on a bike (when younger, fitter, and somewhat more stupid), and you do not want that poo poo on a cycle path, placed within farting distance of lobotomised pedestrians, senseless children, and twitchy animals. It belongs on a road. Twiddling along like a granny at 10mph? Yep, that's fine on a cycle path, and dangerous on a road.

The fact that some people do not make the right choice for a given situation does not mean that all bikes must or must not ride on the road.

Why do bicyclists get to go as fast as they like on cycle paths with no regard for safety? I can't decide to go 100 km/h down a city street just because my car is physically capable of doing so. If you can't ride fast enough to keep up with traffic (in which case I have no idea why drivers would give a poo poo if you're on the street or not), then I guess you have to toodle along on a slower cycle path.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

There wouldn't be any problem with cyclists going 20 or 30 mph (40 is rare and you know it) on a cycle path if they weren't always clogged up with pedestrians, soccer moms with giant strollers, people walking 10 dogs, etc. In most parts of the USA, a dedicated cycle path is treated like "oh, look at this nice empty sidewalk!"

I agree that cycle paths should have 0 objects that aren't bicycles on them, but I've honestly never seen that being a problem (although there were a few inline skaters and longboarders that I saw use them in Montreal, but they were going pretty drat fast too).

If you're going 30 mph, why do you even need a cycle path? That's the speed of traffic on surface streets here if you're lucky; dedicated bike paths should not be super intimidating for those who maybe don't want to or can't go that fast, and speed differential is dangerous when talking about any sort of traffic. If you're serious about getting "average" people to start using bikes more, you have to accept that it's going to involve a general slowing of bike-lane traffic. Just as I can't weave in and out of traffic in my car at 100 km/h when I personally feel it's appropriate to do so, if the speed limit is 50 km/h. As someone who drives, but is more frequently a pedestrian, I have to say that bicyclists are some of the most self-centered, entitled wankers on the road (or sidewalk) no matter if you're in a car or not.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That's a particularly forgiving stretch of road, though, because you have sufficient visibility to pass a cyclist if there's no traffic. Now, change that to being on an uphill section, with corners obscuring your view of oncoming traffic, and you'll see why things get really dangerous. I had to follow a group of cyclists for around 5 minutes, going 10-20 km/h on a 100 km/h-limit highway, before it was safe to pass while driving through the mountains in BC. Not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, I suppose, but it did piss me off.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah, it really doesn't matter if your tires are in the lane, if your head is not physically in your own lane during a turn, it's going to eventually end very, very badly (as a few people have found out near my parents' summer place this year...)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Holy gently caress Calgary drivers: just because you're going straight doesn't mean the rest of us are and we'd quite like to use the protected left turn signal. Maybe try the gas pedal instead of idling away from the loving light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

nsaP posted:

I know people love the entitled cyclist but I just met an entitled jogger.

They tend not to live too long.