Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My favorite thing to do to tailgaters is slowly increase my speed and then zoom through a tight corner at 45mph and then watch in my rearview as they come out of autopilot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've honked to get someone's attention in an attempt to avoid a collision three times in the last year that resulted in that individual literally trying to ram my car in road rage. Yesterday was the most recent event; some guy didn't look, merged into me, pushing me into the shoulder as I hit the brake, honking in reflex. He then proceeded to chase me across state lines across all four lanes of busy interstate before I was finally able to lose him by gunning it and then slamming on my brakes between 18-wheelers.

So loving sick of this city.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My rule is if the schools are closed I'm not driving my rear end to work.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Haha I just remembered a good one. I was on the interstate with cruise control on and some lady in a Sebring convertible merged on and then over the course of a couple minutes absentmindedly synchronized her speed to mine and slowed down and pulled back about 1/16 mile until she was next to me. After a minute driving right next to me she just completely blew her top road raging because I was driving next to her. I'm guessing she wanted to move (without signaling of course) to some other lane and I was "blocking her" out, but this was a completely open stretch of six-lane interstate and she had all the options in the world in free movement. She literally just went from sitting there doing nothing to leaning out of the car gesturing wildly with both hands and then awkwardly swerving and accelerating away. She had her (boyfriend/brother) in the pass. seat and it just looked like the most embarrassing situation ever for him. I got the impression she might have done things like this in the past. The road was one of those combined-interstate dealies so I was in the number 3 lane from the right waiting for my exit in a couple miles doing nothing at all out of the ordinary except driving with cruise control on minding my own business.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I see nothing wrong with that. The current coming out of the chargers isn't enough to do anything, and the water won't hurt the batteries because they're sealed.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I've just had my third near-miss against a local cop here in my city. First two were officers busy with their phones running me into the shoulder on the freeway. This time, a cop came flying up the wrong direction on a one-way street right as I was turning out. _I_ was the one to avoid the accident. Love it.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Duckboat posted:

I wish I had a good answer to this. :sigh:

I just drive like everyone else on the road is an idiot, and recommend others do the same (maintaining situational awareness, making sure you have decent brakes and tires, pulling over to let tailgaters pass, etc.).

Basically this. God self-driving cars cannot come soon enough.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
When the dumbass in front of me parks their car in the intersection I always leave a car length between me and the stop line so they can move their car back. Keeps me safe in case they decide to throw it in reverse, and it makes them look especially stupid when they're 150 foot in front of the car behind them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Fucknag posted:

UGH had a lovely little incident just now. Near me there's a road undergoing widening from 2 to 3 lanes. Right by the I-4 intersection, there's a lane shift right, then back left onto the new lanes. The left shift is through an intersection, but fairly well signed. Well, I go under the bridge with this blue Mustang next to me, we shift right, then as we approach the intersection the Mustang starts drifting right. I was waiting for him to cut left but he never did. I slammed my brakes and cut to the left as soon as I was behind him, but I still smacked a curb; not that bad in retrospect, but it felt pretty hard since I was already in panic mode. Of course he didn't stop; after determining my wheel wasn't about to fall off, I followed after him. It was plain he hadn't just failed to notice me; after I hit curb he immediately got in the left lane, then sped off. When I got visual again, I paced him doing 60 in a 45. :mad:

Anyway, he eventually slowed down, I was able to get his tag and call it in to the local police. Just... I've eaten curb hits and potholes way worse than that before, but usually it's due to my own incompetence. In his (slight) defense the roads were wet, but it wasn't exactly raining hard, and this is Florida.

I've been curious about this kind of scenario and the results. Can you make a successful claim against someone's insurance because they ran you off the road into something? I actually had this happen to me once but I figured their insurance would laugh me off. Now I would just let them hit me to make sure to get covered.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There are so many places in the US that look just like this.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Funny it's actually Kentucky, where at? I know a couple fun roads that look just like that.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I work from home now so I don't have to deal with idiots on the road, but I've got a police scanner setup in my office, and the sheer volume of road rage calls is absolutely baffling. I hear at least one road rage call per day involving a firearm.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

KozmoNaut posted:

Cue me laying on my horn while jamming the brakes so I could dash behind the car that was overtaking me. Then, when I got ahead of the truck again, he laid on his air-horn and the highbeams, as if I had done something wrong.

I would have called that in. Police don't put up with an ounce of poo poo from truck drivers, and aggressive behavior has no place behind the wheel of a 40-ton truck.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Tha Chodesweller posted:

Yeah it's the worst. Hey, that really long ramp that you just drove up on? You use that to get up to highway speeds, not the highway!

I was in Ohio two weeks ago and I got onto an onramp behind a car and he accelerated on the ramp. It's the first time I've seen someone do that in YEARS. It literally never happens in my city, period.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I just pull over for tailgaters. Tailgating is imminent danger and I take immediate evasive action and move over or pull onto the shoulder. It's not a game.

Speaking of local police, I've had to do this for a few of the boys in blue that can't seem to stay off their phones.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
There's been a number of road rage deaths recently here in Kentucky. Most recently some guy drove into oncoming traffic and killed six people.

What the hell is wrong with people?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I would never confront another motorist here in Kentucky. I have had SEVERAL instances in which I honked to get someone's attention when they were merging into me and they then quite literally tried to kill me. In three of those instances 911 took over 45 minutes to respond. This is in the middle of Metro Louisville which employs over 3000 police officers. I'd buy a gun but unfortunately the Second Amendment doesn't provide much protection for people that use their guns in self-defense. I keep pepper spray and just say a prayer before getting behind the wheel.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

punakone posted:

At least when I told this to my boss he told me I shouldve rammed the fucker :v:

Reminds me of a story I heard on here a while back. Some dickhead was raging at a trucker on the interstate and decided the smart thing to do would be to swerve in front of the truck and slam on the brakes with his middle finger out the window. The truck blew him to smithereens and he died at the scene.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

CannonFodder posted:

Don't forget "blind drunk" as a reason for driving the wrong way down the highway. For all the times that I've been driving during what would be prime drunk driving time (New Years Eve, summer holiday weekends, Friday and Saturday night in general) thankfully I've never seen anyone blatantly weaving or going down the wrong side of the road. I did honk a few times at a taxi cab that was probably falling asleep at the wheel, I hope he wasn't drunk at 3PM.

Holy god I remember once driving through the central part of town on the expressway at 4am on a holiday one night. Traffic was light and there were around 20 cars that I could see on the road. All 20 were 100% drunk. It was absolutely terrifying.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
People that brake on an onramp when there's nothing in front of them.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
That newspaper is kind of a dick for naming a dude trash-talking his employer.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

IOwnCalculus posted:

"Courteous" drivers like this are the worst ones on the road, in my opinion. Aggressively bad I can deal with but people who think they're specifically doing you a favor by doing something dangerous and stupid just make me want to get the gently caress away from them.

Holy gently caress yeah. My favorite is when I'm waiting to turn left on a four-lane and someone holds up their lane being "nice" meanwhile I can't see into the lane next to go because their car is now blocking any view I would have had.

Just as bad are the people that show up to a four-way stop and all of a sudden they park it and want to start waving their hands at everyone directing traffic.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Geirskogul posted:

I may be a dick in this regard, but gently caress letting people out of parking lots, especially near a busy intersection. It holds everyone up behind you. They can wait for a gap in traffic, as I've had to do many, many times, and will have to do many more in my lifetime. Like waving somebody through a 4-way stop when you have the right of way, you're only inviting trouble.

People love to hold up a line of 20+ cars to let that one guy out. It's insane. My rule is if the light is red I'll stop and let people out all day but if I'm coming up on green then nobody's getting out.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Please tell me that when that woman gets out of prison she's never allowed a license again.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Nah she'd probably have been able to get off with community service or less if she just stated that she 'lost control' or didn't see the guy. Since she stated that she in fact did see the guy and willfully stopped controlling the vehicle it becomes murder/criminal negligence/whatever.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Brigdh posted:

I was kinda wondering why the dashcam driver didn't just pull over to the shoulder for a few minutes after the 2nd or 3rd brake check.

Had this happen once, except it was a psycho nutjob lady who was actually trying to sideswipe me with her car multiple times. She had drifted in my lane and I honked to get her attention and that set her off. We were on a one-way street so I couldn't U-turn or anything so I just stopped. She stopped. I called 911. She got in a lot of trouble.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

As Nero Danced posted:

Also, followed a retiree for about three miles who just couldn't understand traffic lanes. Riding right down the middle of the road, directly on the yellow lines. When they saw a car coming, they moved over into the bike lane (thank god there weren't any bikes today), then moved right back on top of the lines.

CALL 911!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
My average speed according to my OBC is 23 mph.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
It's the cops job to do whatever the gently caress they feel like doing. It's your job as a responsible motorist to call them. Let them make the decision to sit on their asses.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The fact that grown-rear end men and women are quite often literally okay with committing murder as long as the victim is on a bicycle is the reason I don't bike.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Just had one of the more frustrating encounters I've had in a while. To set the scene, I'm driving 35, the limit, on a four-lane road. There is a row of shops to my right and their parking lots are next to the road with perpendicular parking spaces about two car lengths away from the road. I live in the area and I've parked there many times myself. There is enough room to pull a three-point turn backing out, or you can just back straight into the road if it's clear.

So this guy in a SUV decides he wants to back out into the road, but instead of looking and waiting for the road to be clear, he just jams it into reverse and backs right into the road in front of me forcing me to make an emergency stop. He then pulls forward BACK into the parking lot, out of my way, lining up with the road. I figure he's finally recognized what a reckless move he just performed and wanted to get out of the way. So I begin moving again and right as I start to come along side him, he rips the wheel to the left and forces a me to perform a second panic stop. At this point I get on the horn to try and get his attention and he slams on the brakes, blocking the road and then tries to road rage at me.

At that point I just turned off and went another route, but what in the gently caress?! This is the only city I've ever driven in where people will nearly cause a wreck and then try and road rage/use their car as a weapon afterward. There are some seriously unstable loving people that live here.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Eh it's not that hard. My first car was a manual and the salesman took me to an empty lot and showed me the basics and I drove it home. 11 years later, I've replaced one clutch.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hmm that is interesting. How in the world does a red-light camera know if you're making a legal turn on red or not?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I guess that makes sense.

Those things are a total clusterfuck though. Like what if you need to pull into the intersection to let a firetruck through. Bam $200 ticket.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

What in the gently caress? That road has 140mph closing speeds assuming everyone is driving the limit. That's a dangerous loving road.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
So I'm at the grocery store and I'm pulling into a parking aisle and a lady walks suddenly right out in front of my car. Not a big deal, it's a parking lot, whatever. But then she strolls across to her car diagonally like she hasn't a care in the world, taking her time.

I then park my car and my wife and I walk towards the store. Said lady at this point has started up her ride and proceeds to throw it in reverse and back waaaaaaaay out right in front of us, blocking our path in kind of a dangerous/rude way. At this point there's a bunch of cars/pedestrians around and she's kinda stuck her business into all of that. She then backs her car even further and curves it out into the main area in front of the store, blocking several cars and several groups of people, continuing to push her car into people's path, then takes off casually.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

This kind of behavior is so common here in my city that it didn't even seem outrageous enough to go viral. Part of the problem is that the police response times are >30 minutes to 911 calls so drunk rednecks know they can get away with this kinda poo poo.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Bum the Sad posted:

A while back I was with my good friend and he was driving and I looked over at the dash and saw his brights indicator was on and asked him why the hell he had his brights on. Turns out he though that the brights indicator just meant his lights were on. He had been driving for about 5 years at that point, exclusively using his brights.

He didn't stop to wonder why people were always bright-flashing him?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

iForge posted:

What ails people that they are cool with going 15-20mph UNDER the speed limit in the left lane of the highway? Its ALWAYS a loving Prius too. gently caress you, Captain Earth!

I just can't relate to these people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Texas definitely seems like it has to be the worst state for road rage. So many loving hicks in one place dear god. And I live in Kentucky!